HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

[PSA] The Leaderboards and opting out

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted August 23 2014 - 02:37 PM

(For background on the leaderboards, please see this thread: https://community.pl...back-requested/)

So, this is just a notice about the upcoming leaderboards. They are not finished yet, but earlier today I updated the backend side of it with the stats tracking and ranking so that part is running fully now. More importantly now, ScrimBot is updated with integration with the leaderboards.

You can now start opting out of the leaderboard's tracker with the command "!optout". You can undo this with "!optin". Everyone by default is opted in. If you don't want to be shown anywhere when the leaderboards come out, make sure to opt out!

For those not familiar with how to use ScrimBot, launch Hawken and login to your account. In your friends list, add the user "ScrimBot". From there you can send messages to ScrimBot as commands. To opt out, send the message "!optout" using the in-game chat system to ScrimBot (you do not need to keep ScrimBot in your friends list after you opt out successfully).

If your in-game chat is nonfunctional, please send me (not ScrimBot) a PM on the forums with the subject "Leaderboards Opt Out" and I will manually opt you out. (Please only PM me if your chat is broken or the command does not work!)

I will post about this again when the leaderboards go live for real.

Edit:

Because people have already asked me, here is the reason it's opt out instead of opt in:
  • To maintain an actual global ranking, all data is kept anyway, but made inaccessible (except to you if you link accounts, which is something I will talk about when the leaderboards launch) when opted out. If the data inclusion was opt in, it would result in non-representative rankings. This is a technical restriction which makes the opt out just a quick 'hide everything' switch, rather than actually removing data.

• If the system is defaulted to opt in, the resulting leaderboards would be made somewhat useless with most ranking positions being just a "[Private]" message, with a couple random people actually shown.

• To compensate for the the fact that it's opt-in, the default privacy setting will be highly strict. I don't have all the details figured out yet, but basically you will only appear if you are in the top 100 in one of the categories (if not there will be very minimal info on your page) if you don't opt out. The full leaderboards will allow you to unhide stuff in an opt-in fashion. I will probably put this stuff to a vote later when it comes to setting each specific privacy default.
Regardless, I am open to any concerns people have about this.

Edited by Ashfire908, August 23 2014 - 04:44 PM.

Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#2 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted August 23 2014 - 02:55 PM

!OptOutCuzI'mBad

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#3 Zuurkern

Zuurkern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBeergium

Posted August 23 2014 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the edit. Looks like a solid design to me.

#4 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted August 23 2014 - 03:27 PM

Not sure why i'm excited for this, never been an MMR *****.

Maybe it's because it's the only content that Hawken will have obtained since the last patch months ago, and it's made by a player.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#5 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 23 2014 - 03:38 PM

So is everyone opt in or opt out ATM_ Original post and edit part confuse me.

Posted Image

#6 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted August 23 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostTheVulong, on August 23 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

So is everyone opt in or opt out ATM_ Original post and edit part confuse me.

View PostAshfire908, on August 23 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

Everyone by default is opted in.

Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#7 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted August 23 2014 - 03:49 PM

How is the data collected_  Does scrimbot send it to you_  If I did not add scrimbot to my friend list, then will you still know my stats, mmr, etc.

How are the Rankings set up_  Is everyone lump together or are they divided by regions_

Where would we go to see the rankings_  I didn't notice a web site or link in your OP.

Is it viewed in game only_

#8 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted August 23 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on August 23 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

How is the data collected_  Does scrimbot send it to you_  If I did not add scrimbot to my friend list, then will you still know my stats, mmr, etc.

It's pulled in large updates separate from scrimbot. Having or not having scrimbot on your friends list has no effect. The opt out/in commands communicate with the leaderboards to opt you in or out. The reason scrimbot is used for this is cause it's a quick and simple way to verify you are working with an account you own (or at least have the login for). Due to technical restrictions, the data (stats, mmr, etc) is stored in the leaderboards regardless of your opt out setting. See the OP for more info.

How are the Rankings set up_  Is everyone lump together or are they divided by regions_
Players are ranked by certain rankings (mmr, xp/min, win/loss, etc). They are currently global, but region-specific rankings is something I can work on adding if people are interested in.

Where would we go to see the rankings_  I didn't notice a web site or link in your OP.
It will be on a website. The leaderboards are not yet complete, so there is no link yet.

Is it viewed in game only_
I don't have any access to the rankings from in-game planned atm, though I might add that as an option.

For more info, see this thread: https://community.pl...back-requested/

#9 crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Best Coast

Posted August 23 2014 - 05:01 PM

Posted Image
Signing on the dotted line

#10 x9x8x7x

x9x8x7x

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted August 24 2014 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for what you do Ashfire, our own Mr. Wizard!

#11 1uster

1uster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 11:58 PM

@Ashfire little tip: you don't need to put an exclamation mark on front of the commands for scrimbot ;) :P

#12 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted August 26 2014 - 11:59 PM

View Post1uster, on August 26 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

@Ashfire little tip: you don't need to put an exclamation mark on front of the commands for scrimbot ;) :P

I use it still in documentation as a clear way to point out what is a command and what isn't.

#13 hawkenus

hawkenus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted August 27 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostAshfire908, on August 23 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Players are ranked by certain rankings (mmr, xp/min, win/loss, etc). They are currently global, but region-specific rankings is something I can work on adding if people are interested in.
Please do. It will be very nice to have it, but question how do you know players regions_ Most time played in certain region or ping info compared in regions_ Thank you very much for your hard work!
Posted Image
so wet e-puzzy, y jelly_...

#14 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted August 27 2014 - 05:59 AM

View Posthawkenus, on August 27 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

Please do. It will be very nice to have it, but question how do you know players regions_ Most time played in certain region or ping info compared in regions_ Thank you very much for your hard work!

I was thinking more by sever region not your actual location.  If you live in AU but play on UK then you rank on the UK server or anyone from the UK and come play on the US severs and rank on them also.   I'm just thinking out loud.  I have no idea how Ashfire plans to implement it.  Its fine either way.

#15 hawkenus

hawkenus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:13 AM

or maybe to add option to add yourself to which region you want to be added, same as !optin and !optout
like !addmetoUSE or !addmetoSingapur
Posted Image
so wet e-puzzy, y jelly_...

#16 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:46 AM

It detects your region by what region you most frequently play in (by # of matches in each region). When the leaderboards launch, you will be able to go on the site and change the region you are in to whatever region you actually want used/displayed instead of your detected region. (all the code for this is already in place, just waiting on the frontend)

#17 LRod

LRod

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted September 01 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hey Ashfire, will it be possible to breakout the leaderboard by Mechs, or even by Mech classes_  I'm curious to see, not just my overall rank, but also how I rank on different Mechs and classes.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

#18 Lasraik

Lasraik

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, N.M.

Posted September 01 2014 - 08:30 AM

Makes sense to have people who don't want in opt out.  Really excited to see it

#19 Shadow1ess

Shadow1ess

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 08:48 AM

Thank you for doing this!

#20 Rajitha

Rajitha

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka / 6.9167° N, 79.8333° E

Posted September 01 2014 - 08:48 AM

This is seriously Awesome :wub:
Thank you Ashfire :)

Most interested :D

Core i5-3470 | Corsair 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB | Gigabyte B75M-D3H | Seasonic 520W
Siege Tutorial | Hawken In Asia (gameplay videos) | South Asia/Southeast Asia Community
HAWKEN ASIA STEAM COMMUNITY!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users