HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Rocketeer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bELT_fED

bELT_fED

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 12:35 PM

So I have some questions on the Rocketeer. I want to like it, but in trying out the test version I am very much on the fence about it. The lock on and targeting system is very much a hit or miss mystery box to me as there are a few mechanics to it that I just don't get.

I have watched videos of people destroying with this mech, but after I watch them I can only ask myself if it has been majorly nerfed since then_

About the lock on and seekers: Do they track at all with out the lock on_ It seems like they just fly in a straight line unless the spinning reticule locks on.
Once you are locked on, how many times can you fire before you need to reaquire_ Again this seems totally random in battle, sometimes they home in other times they don't.
Is there some sort of lock on delay when not in turret mode_ I do not understand why it seems I have to wait 5-8 seconds for the reticule to show a lock on action.

This isn't a complaint thread in any way I just am having a hard time getting this thing to work. In some videos it is as if people can shoot rockets non stop while not in turret mode and they all continuously track to their target. When I use it it feels like about 80% of my shots vanish into the void no matter how good the shot looks.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Edited by bELT_fED, August 24 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#2 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 01:56 PM

Try checking a Rocketeer guide here:
Your One Stop Shop for All Mech Guides
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far."
Sentium or Prosk_
Repair Charge / Repair Kit values

#3 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 24 2014 - 02:46 PM

Seekers don't need to be manually locked, though you do have to point it towards your enemy.

You need to lock your Hellfire missile device after each reload.

You cannot lock on to targets before your Hellfire device has finished reloading. Wait until it has reloaded, then try to lock onto your target.

Hellfire rockets can be arched. I'm not quite sure how to do so, as I don't play Rocketeer, but it can be done.

Happy pewing!

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#4 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 24 2014 - 07:49 PM

Once you achieve the "LockOn" tone utilising the 3rd "center" mouse button (or your personal pref) and the tracking reticule locks, you have one missile salvo targeted. To arch after you have dropped behind cover, or your enemy has, whip the gunfire reticule immediately upwards or to the side of your obstacle(s) and fire. you have about 3 seconds to do this before losing lockon. You must reacquire a target lock to fire another salvo.
Salvos may be "Dumb Fired" as an unlocked/unguided MIRV grouping at any time at any target. Just click your RMB.
Seekers will hit what you aim at. I may be incorrect, but it appears that holding your aiming sites tightly to your target will extremely improve your hit count. Do not spam shoot (HEAT!). If your site is not on the target, don't fire. Nothing more Awshit than being a big fat overheated harmless bullet magnet. You'll also notice your aim and hit damage is considerably better than when you spamshoot.
Yes. Rocky is a fun ride.
Enjoy!

Edited by EM1O, August 24 2014 - 08:39 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#5 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted August 24 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostEM1O, on August 24 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

Once you achieve the "LockOn" tone utilising the 3rd "center" mouse button (or your personal pref) and the tracking reticule locks, you have one missile salvo targeted. To arch after you have dropped behind cover, or your enemy has, whip the gunfire reticule immediately upwards or to the side of your obstacle(s) and fire. you have about 3 seconds to do this before losing lockon. You must reacquire a target lock to fire another salvo.
Salvos may be "Dumb Fired" as an unlocked/unguided MIRV grouping at any time at any target. Just click your RMB.
Seekers will hit what you aim at. I may be incorrect, but it appears that holding your aiming sites tightly to your target will extremely improve your hit count. Do not spam shoot (HEAT!). If your site is not on the target, don't fire. Nothing more Awshit than being a big fat overheated harmless bullet magnet. You'll also notice your aim and hit damage is considerably better than when you spamshoot.
Yes. Rocky is a fun ride.
Enjoy!

/thread

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#6 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted August 24 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostbELT_fED, on August 24 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

So I have some questions on the Rocketeer. I want to like it, but in trying out the test version I am very much on the fence about it. The lock on and targeting system is very much a hit or miss mystery box to me as there are a few mechanics to it that I just don't get.

I have watched videos of people destroying with this mech, but after I watch them I can only ask myself if it has been majorly nerfed since then_

About the lock on and seekers: Do they track at all with out the lock on_ It seems like they just fly in a straight line unless the spinning reticule locks on.
Once you are locked on, how many times can you fire before you need to reaquire_ Again this seems totally random in battle, sometimes they home in other times they don't.
Is there some sort of lock on delay when not in turret mode_ I do not understand why it seems I have to wait 5-8 seconds for the reticule to show a lock on action.

This isn't a complaint thread in any way I just am having a hard time getting this thing to work. In some videos it is as if people can shoot rockets non stop while not in turret mode and they all continuously track to their target. When I use it it feels like about 80% of my shots vanish into the void no matter how good the shot looks.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Right, so I had some problems adjusting to the Rocketeer, but here's what helped me:
  • Your lockon button needs only be pushed once, you don't need to hold it. Once pushed, it will search for targets in an area slightly wider than your crosshairs for a short period. After a .5 second cooldown, you can search again if you did not get a lock.
  • Hellfires lock on to whatever is in the absolute pixel center of your crosshairs, despite the wider "view" mentioned above. What this means is that even if half of your crosshairs are on a mech in front, if your dead centre pixel is on the foot of a mech behind, the hellfires will lock on behind. You can tap your lockon to acquire a new target if you don't like the one you're locked on to now.
  • Hellfires will not lock through shields or blockades.
  • Learn the exact time it takes to lock on to a target, and in open terrain fire right then. Every millisecond counts. In cover, you can actually maintain a lock for a second or two once they get out of sight. Use this to get into a better position, maybe launching rockets around the other side of the cover.
  • After locking on, whip your aim around and fire up or diagonally to get around corners with the Hellfires. You're gonna have to get a feel for the angle, depending where you're launching from.
  • Seekers will fly towards whatever valid target (anything you can damage) you are currently pointed at, no lock required. If you lose the target, the seeker will continue on its current heading. If you reacquire while the seeker is still in the air, it will adjust to follow the target. Given enough distance, you can pull off some nice trick shots with this.
  • The Seekers DPS is actually fuzzing stupidly good if your aim is good and you can keep on target. It's like a non-hitscan vulcan with no range drop-off. This is part of why the Rocketeer is easymodo on Bunker. If someone is running from you, they should be dead.

#7 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted August 25 2014 - 01:06 AM

Rocketeer is a bad mech for your skill.

Posted Image

#8 hawkenus

hawkenus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted August 25 2014 - 02:30 AM

No mech is bad for your skill.
Posted Image
so wet e-puzzy, y jelly_...

#9 bELT_fED

bELT_fED

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had no idea that the seekers tracked your crosshairs I thought they just homed in towards the closest enemy from their description.

So, due to the fact you have to lock on for each hellfire shot in order for it to track it seems like the rocketeer couldn't put down continuous accurate fire anywhere close to that of an assault for instance_

I'm thinking I will like it much better with the heat cannon eventually.

Edited by bELT_fED, August 25 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#10 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted August 25 2014 - 05:44 PM

Yes, coupled with the Assault's coolant ability, the Rocketeer cannot match up in pure DPS, except in very specific circumstances. Thing is, the Rocketeer is not really meant to be a direct engagement mech. It's support/suppression. While you CAN use it to good effect in TDM, it really shines in Siege and to a lesser extent Missile Assault. You use the Rocketeer to force people into or out of cover for the rest of your team to advance on/murderate. The score you should be aiming for should look something like 2/4/25 or something (in TDM, but you get the idea). Because your hellfires can reach around some corners, you can tag players otherwise inaccessible.

And the heat cannon is much more of a direct-engagement weapon, changing the Rocketeer's gameplay up significantly. But prior to that you get the EOC Repeater, which is a defensive powerhouse and my personal favourite weapon in the game right now. It's definitely the harder weapon to use, which means, uniquely, that you'll be pretty well prepped to use the Heat Cannon once you unlock it.

That said, I'm back to using the Seekers, just because if you can force engagements in your favour the damage is, like I said, fuzzing stupid.

#11 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 14 2014 - 11:58 AM

If you want an explanation for the rocketeer, click on my signature and find the rocketeer video. But just so you're clear, the manual lock on is only for the hellfire rockets. In order to have the seekers track a target, your crosshairs have to be on an enemy target when you hit the fire button. So, if you don't want to miss your shots and generate a bunch of heat in vain with the seekers, click every time you want to shoot and don't hold down the fire button for full auto. Should help a bit with your accuracy.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users