HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Theory about my framerate

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 03:13 PM

View PostBarbie_in_a_Mech, on August 26 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

RunaPanda brought an interesting point about max resolution.  Even if you should be able to run the game in 1080p, you should drop it and tell the results.  For the sake of experimenting.

Dropping the resolution to 720p has no impact on my framerate.

Just to clarify, it drops when you see the UI and you walk around_

Yep

Your FPS is fine when you look around without moving_

Yep

The UI doesn't cause problems as long as you're not moving_

Yep

Or the UI drops your FPS whenever it's on the screen_

Well, FPS definitely goes up when it's hidden.

Also, I've tried those .ini tweaks and my FPS was unaffected.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far."
Sentium or Prosk_
Repair Charge / Repair Kit values

#22 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted August 26 2014 - 03:22 PM

Okay, thanks for clarifying.  So ... now I'm only curious of why you don't seem to want to try older drivers.  Maybe you have reasons to be sure it wouldn't help.  But whatever your reason, I'm pretty sure that I won't find anything else that you can try.  I did my best...!

Posted Image

#23 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 12:02 PM

I've tried older drivers. They didn't help. If anything, they made the framerate worse.

Also, has anyone even considered the possibility that the GPU is not at fault here_ We know the GPU is working fine, why are we trying to mess with it_ We should be trying to fix Hawken, or rather, the devs needs to get off their hiatus and fix Hawken. It's not our job, it's theirs. Get on it Adhesive.

Edited by HubbaBubba9849, August 27 2014 - 12:08 PM.

Sentium or Prosk_

#24 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 27 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostHubbaBubba9849, on August 26 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

Dropping the resolution to 720p has no impact on my framerate.

Sorry Dude, but I just don't buy that.  You realize that you just said that lowering the number of pixels from 2073600 to 921600 has no effect.  Highly doubt that.  I see an increase going from 1080p to 1366x768, and even more by going down to 720p.  Granted its slight, but I do see an increase.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#25 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 04:44 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Sentium or Prosk_

#26 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:39 PM

If you want to be an idiot about it, then it will not help you.

The point is, your outdated hardware won't be able to keep up with games on max settings, and this is evident in AAA content used for HAWKEN. If you've tried all you can on your end to attempt to fix or even indirectly mitigate the frame drop, and it doesn't seem to yield any intended results, it's time to upgrade your graphics card.

Sorry to say, but your outdated $400 - $600 budget computer will not be able to scale with new technology. I mean, come on, DirectX 9 is far from true 1080p gaming, or for anything in terms of rendering. It is an outdated API that is intended for older games. Spending a few hundred bucks will upgrade you to at least a playable DirectX 11, with the possibility of smooth gaming—at a bare minimum—at Lowest to Medium settings.

Don't have the money for it_ Then quit complaining and blaming your hardware faults on a new game.

Edited by Draigun, August 27 2014 - 06:45 PM.

Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#27 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 07:49 PM

My GPU is worse than his and it works just fine, so if you think this problem is due to an outdated GPU, you don't know what you're talking about.  You guys seem to know only one way to solve a problem: throw money at it.  I hope you're not managing anyone's money besides your own.  You don't even know what a computer needs in order to respect a certain performance threshold.  You just buy stuff and convince yourselves that the money was well spent.  10 years ago whenever someone had a problem, you blamed their CPU.  Today, you're smarter, you understand that the GPU can be at fault too, but you still don't have any clue of what a problem caused by an insufficient GPU looks like because you never had one.  So you diagnose computer problems in the most arrogant and unhelpful of ways for a problem you know nothing about (other than throwing money at it like the good little consumers that you guys are.)
(QUIZ: If the FPS drops when walking but not when looking around, what does that say about the GPU_)*

On topic, I went with the OP's assumption that there's a problem with a part of the UI, but have you even tried walking around without the UI_  I don't even know if it's possible.
I can't open the game so I can't test the command, but in UT3 a console command to hide the HUD is either Showhud or Togglescreenshotmode.  It might or might not hide the cockpit, and I'd like to know if either command works and if they help your FPS when you walk.

Even if the UI disappears and it doesn't fix it, I still wouldn't know what the problem is, but at least it's a way to verify if it's really the UI or just the action of moving.

I'm a pessimist so I bet the commands won't even work.

By the way is anything overclocked_  If so, you know what I'm going to say.

And sure there's a problem with Hawken, but there's a problem with your computer too because this issue affects almost nobody else.  One of your PC's components might be failing to do its job properly, and it COULD be the GPU.
Due to the nature of the problem, I still haven't ruled out your RAM, but a memtest86 would probably say that everything's cool...
You don't need to have 16GB of ram like a complete idiot, but you have to admit that 3GB is playing with fire.

*NOTHING.

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, August 27 2014 - 08:38 PM.

Posted Image

#28 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 07:45 AM

I tried a couple possible console commands, but nothing worked. I'd guess they would have disabled any of those commands anyway.

Walking around in third-person doesn't affect fps though.

View PostBarbie_in_a_Mech, on August 27 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

you have to admit that 3GB is playing with fire.

To tell the truth, I actually have 6gb installed (3x2gb), but because XP's max ram is 4gb, it gets cut in half to 3gb. This does cause some minor issues with system stability, but it doesn't seem to affect any games in any way. Would it be harmful in any way to remove one of the ram sticks for testing_
Sentium or Prosk_

#29 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 08:17 AM

That's not something I can answer with certainty, but as far as I know, any ram stick should be alright on its own.  You might have to keep a stick in the "first" slot, just removing the first and leaving the second in the second slot might not work, but again I don't really know.

I didn't know there was a way to walk in third person mode.  I thought the only way was when you spectate your killer, which means you're not the one controlling the mech then.

Posted Image

#30 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostBarbie_in_a_Mech, on August 28 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

I didn't know there was a way to walk in third person mode.
You can walk around in third-person in explore mode.
Sentium or Prosk_

#31 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 12:33 PM

I see...  so it really seems to be about the UI.  Damn.
Also I had no time to edit my earlier post before I had to leave.  I don't think swapping ram sticks is worth trying...  I was tired and irritated when I wrote about ram.

Posted Image

#32 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 28 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostHubbaBubba9849, on August 28 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

To tell the truth, I actually have 6gb installed (3x2gb), but because XP's max ram is 4gb, it gets cut in half to 3gb. This does cause some minor issues with system stability, but it doesn't seem to affect any games in any way. Would it be harmful in any way to remove one of the ram sticks for testing_

Woah woah woah.  Why on earth are you using 32-bit XP_

You've got more issues going on here than you realize.  Yes, your system sees a max of 3GB because of the static hardware addressing assigned above the 3GB barrier.  What you might not realize is that theres also a max size of usable memory on processes in 32-bit OS's and that limit is 2GB.  A 32-bit process in a 64-bit OS can allocate 4GB.

Get a 64-bit OS at least.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#33 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostSS396, on August 28 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Working on it...
Sentium or Prosk_

#34 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted August 29 2014 - 05:07 AM

I have a friend that was a die hard XP fan and was having a ton of issues lately with just games in general.

FINALLY convinced him to just change his OS and what do you know.. a miracle happened. Things started working a LOT smoother for him and he could actually play games. He's moved on thankfully and is back to his normal non-angry self while trying to play games. Well.. non-angry for reasons about his computer keeping up with the game at least =p

Granted the change didn't change the fact he has a seriously outdated computer, but it has allowed him to keep playing current games easier.

#35 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 09:35 PM

Installed Windows 8.1. Ultra settings, never goes below 60. Go figure. Thread closed.

Spoiler

Sentium or Prosk_

#36 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 03:06 AM

try updating flash (i know sounds odd) udk uses scaleform technology to draw the UI
i don't mean any of it

#37 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 03:08 AM

View PostSS396, on August 28 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Woah woah woah.  Why on earth are you using 32-bit XP_

You've got more issues going on here than you realize.  Yes, your system sees a max of 3GB because of the static hardware addressing assigned above the 3GB barrier.  What you might not realize is that theres also a max size of usable memory on processes in 32-bit OS's and that limit is 2GB.  A 32-bit process in a 64-bit OS can allocate 4GB.

oh i saw a patch somewhere to make 32 bit windows kernel support  more ram, then you even have smaller address sizes win win

oh you should download the UDK and follow a scaleform tutorial and see if fiddling with it makes you lag, such as attaching forms to the kaxcor etc or translating them

Edited by MechFighter5e3bf9, August 31 2014 - 03:14 AM.

i don't mean any of it

#38 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 03:16 AM

View PostBarbie_in_a_Mech, on August 28 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

That's not something I can answer with certainty, but as far as I know, any ram stick should be alright on its own.  You might have to keep a stick in the "first" slot, just removing the first and leaving the second in the second slot might not work, but again I don't really know.

I didn't know there was a way to walk in third person mode.  I thought the only way was when you spectate your killer, which means you're not the one controlling the mech then.

explore map mode single player allows 3rd person (dont get ne ideas dragging it with u :P)
i don't mean any of it

#39 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 08:57 PM

delete pls

Edited by MechFighter5e3bf9, September 01 2014 - 09:01 PM.

i don't mean any of it

#40 RunaPanda

RunaPanda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationTrolling you where ever you go :3

Posted September 13 2014 - 02:11 AM

That's your fault dear sir. Windows XP is outdated, and should be switched from asap. Hawken is notoriously bad on 32 bit systems.
Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz| DDR4  3200 @ CAS 14|SLIed Quad GTX 980|Kingspec 1TB PCIe SSD/ 4x 3TB HDDs|Logitech G502 Proteus Core|Razer DeathStalker Ultimate|Occulus Rift|3xAsus ROG Swift PG278Q|Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus|Wrapped up in a sexy Corsair Obsidian 900D w/ Custom Laser etching

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users