HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Theory about my framerate

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 01:47 PM

Note the fps counter:

Third-person
Spoiler

First-Person
Spoiler

First-Person while moving
Spoiler

So it seems like there is something in the first-person UI that dramatically reduces my framerate while i'm moving. What could it be_ Any way to fix it_
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far."
Sentium or Prosk_
Repair Charge / Repair Kit values

#2 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 25 2014 - 02:11 PM

Most likely its because the entire inside of the mech is a 3D model and its rather high poly count and detail.  This is apparent if you use an oculus rift.

Don't think there is any fix, besides sacrificing some of the graphics settings if you want higher framerates.  Either that or get more powerful CPU and GPU.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#3 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted August 25 2014 - 02:14 PM

...I want 40+ FPS :(

#4 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted August 25 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostSS396, on August 25 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

Most likely its because the entire inside of the mech is a 3D model and its rather high poly count and detail.

Is it normal for this framerate drop to happen_  I never noticed this on low settings, and I can't run Hawken to test on high settings because my GPU needs thermal paste (oops.)

OP, do you run the game on the highest settings_

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, August 25 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Posted Image

#5 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 25 2014 - 02:59 PM

View PostBarbie_in_a_Mech, on August 25 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

Is it normal for this framerate drop to happen_

I don't know if its considered normal, but increasing the number of polygons is going to increase the load, so it only makes sense that higher detailed settings are going to have a lower framerate.

Its a give an take, if you want performance, you have to sacrifice the look, if you want the look you have to sacrifice the performance.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#6 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'm on lowest settings.
Spoiler

Sentium or Prosk_

#7 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 03:10 PM

Just having the highest settings does not justify such a severe frame drop just from moving instead of standing still.  Those polygons are still there when you're immobile.

Therefore, I'm hoping to know if it's a common problem caused by something (most likely highest settings) or if it's specific to his computer.

Funny theory, maybe a keylogger or something of the sort could somehow clog the CPU enough to affect the framerate like that while holding the movement keys, but that's so far fetched that it's just amusing to imagine.

Edit : so not highest settings.  When did it start happening_

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, August 25 2014 - 03:12 PM.

Posted Image

#8 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostBarbie_in_a_Mech, on August 25 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

When did it start happening_
It's always been this way.
Sentium or Prosk_

#9 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 03:19 PM

That's not what I expected ...
If you haven't already, maybe you could try older graphic drivers, or beta ones if your card is recent.  And again if you haven't done so, maybe redownload Hawken.  Maybe a file got somehow corrupted, but I really doubt it would be the case.
That's ... all I can think of.  :/

I'm assuming you're running this on Windows and you don't have the problem in other FPS.

Edit
This thread suggest clearing some space on your HDD if it's near full.  I don't see why, but they think it can be a cause.
It also talks about FilterKeys, but I think it's off by default anyway.
http://www.tomshardw...lking-game.html

Another edit
You could run the game in a window and have something to check your computer's temperature, to see if for example the CPU or graphic card magically gets hotter when you move.
I use speedfan for that...  there are better options I'm sure.

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, August 25 2014 - 03:31 PM.

Posted Image

#10 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 03:57 PM

Re-downloading never helped before. My graphic drivers are up to date. Filter Keys is off. Temps don't change.

As for system specs:
CPU: Intel i7 950
GPU: Radeon HD 7870
RAM: 3GB DDR3

I can run other Unreal games like butter.
Sentium or Prosk_

#11 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 04:30 PM

The thing with drivers is that using outdated ones can sometimes fix a problem.  The chances are slim, but it's still a thing you can try.  The ram is a bit low, but I doubt you'd have such a high FPS while idle if it was not sufficient.
The exception to that would be if other mechs moving on your screen also drop your framerate while you're idle, in which case lack of ram might be the issue.

I've run out of ideas...
It sucks if we can't find the problem component.

If other mechs moving don't drop your framerate and older drivers don't fix it, you can attempt something gruesome and reinstall a naked windows on an empty partition or on top of the windows installation you have now, but that's getting a bit extreme.  The thing with that is that it would clarify whether your problem is caused by software.
For that, you (obviously_) need a real windows, not the piece of fuzzy bunny filled with bloatware that comes with PCs sold in stores.

It's your call whether you think it's worth it.
Maybe someone else will come with a cleaner idea.

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, August 25 2014 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted August 25 2014 - 04:52 PM

That's a pretty cheap GPU. It was difficult for me to run a GTX 460 (costs about $10 less than that) on lowest settings.

Even now with a GTX 780, there are still bottleneck situations that bring me down to almost 40 FPS. If you ask me, the game is poorly optimized in terms of the rendering engine, and everything about the UI is sluggish.

That being said, it is rather unusual to see such a wide deviation of FPS, even for the lowest settings. Quite possibly, perhaps you're running beta AMD drivers_ If not, then the GPU is simply not able to output more than what you'd want. AMD has always been known to be behind the performance curve when compared to NVIDIA, but for some, they make up for it with rather cheap and almost cost-effective computer parts.

Something to keep in mind is also this: 43 FPS with 23 ms of input lag is extremely slow for even HAWKEN's engine. This does further support the poor performance of your GPU, and quite possibly, even your monitor. Even though the monitor does not affect FPS in real world terms, input lag is always caused by the monitor itself. You shouldn't be going above 16 ms if it is a decent monitor. However, with capped smooth framerate disabled, I noticed that your input lag was 11.11ms, which is what it's suppose to be at since that was the implementation.

Edited by Draigun, August 25 2014 - 04:57 PM.

Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#13 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 05:22 PM

My GPU is weaker than that, I have a 6850, my processor is an AMD double core 3.2 ghz (quite bad), and my FPS is around 50 at all times.
My graphic drivers appear to be the latest ones, though I can't find the exact version.
The only thing I have better is 8 GB of ram.

This leads me to believe his GPU is not the problem.

Believe it or not, saving 350$ on a GPU does not mean you will have troubles playing recent games.

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, August 25 2014 - 07:40 PM.

Posted Image

#14 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostBarbie_in_a_Mech, on August 25 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

Believe it or not, saving 350$ on a GPU does not mean you will have troubles playing recent games.
Indeed. I don't know why some people think they have to spend $300+ on a gpu. My rig runs everything I have at max settings no problem. Except for Hawken, but that's Hawken's fault, not my rig's.
Sentium or Prosk_

#15 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted August 25 2014 - 09:52 PM

If you think that's bad, there are some people who spend over $20k on a rig powerhouse.

Also, people spend the money on a good quality gpu, because that's generally all that matters when it comes to gaming. There are $5000 GPUs that are optimized for business usage, and that cost is actually very cheap for them.

It all comes down to what you expect, and what you intend to use x for.

Edited by Draigun, August 25 2014 - 09:56 PM.

Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#16 RunaPanda

RunaPanda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationTrolling you where ever you go :3

Posted August 26 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostHubbaBubba9849, on August 25 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

Re-downloading never helped before. My graphic drivers are up to date. Filter Keys is off. Temps don't change.

As for system specs:
CPU: Intel i7 950
GPU: Radeon HD 7870
RAM: 3GB DDR3

I can run other Unreal games like butter.

Your RAM and your GPU are at fault, it's better to run at least 4GB with Hawken, and that GPU can handle 1080p with games from 2005 and back.The 7870 is considering mid/low end and can barely do anything at 1080p with recent titles. Try knocking the resolution down to 720p.

@Draigun: It is unoptimized but there's always been problems when it comes to Hawken and Nvidia cards. My media/work PC which has a 7970 in it, even during intense fire fights in Last Eco only drops to 72fps and up to 210fps out of battle..
Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz| DDR4  3200 @ CAS 14|SLIed Quad GTX 980|Kingspec 1TB PCIe SSD/ 4x 3TB HDDs|Logitech G502 Proteus Core|Razer DeathStalker Ultimate|Occulus Rift|3xAsus ROG Swift PG278Q|Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus|Wrapped up in a sexy Corsair Obsidian 900D w/ Custom Laser etching

#17 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostRunaPanda, on August 26 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Your RAM and your GPU are at fault, it's better to run at least 4GB with Hawken, and that GPU can handle 1080p with games from 2005 and back.The 7870 is considering mid/low end and can barely do anything at 1080p with recent titles.
I don't know where you people are getting your information. I already said I can run ALL GAMES on MAX SETTINGS at FULL 60 FPS. Seriously, do you even see what you're typing_

Want a benchmark_

Attached Files

Sentium or Prosk_

#18 RunaPanda

RunaPanda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationTrolling you where ever you go :3

Posted August 26 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostHubbaBubba9849, on August 26 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

View PostRunaPanda, on August 26 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Your RAM and your GPU are at fault, it's better to run at least 4GB with Hawken, and that GPU can handle 1080p with games from 2005 and back.The 7870 is considering mid/low end and can barely do anything at 1080p with recent titles.
I don't know where you people are getting your information. I already said I can run ALL GAMES on MAX SETTINGS at FULL 60 FPS. Seriously, do you even see what you're typing_

Want a benchmark_
Maxed would be, with Tessellation on dear sir. Which would also enable TressFX in Tomb Raider. So no, that is not max the simple fact you blantly show the "Custom" settings, means you don't have it maxed. There's the 7870's performance on the true Ultimate settings for that game. That's considered barely playable.
Attached File  13632141234v2TkTbPdM_4_3.jpg   59.96K   11 downloads
Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz| DDR4  3200 @ CAS 14|SLIed Quad GTX 980|Kingspec 1TB PCIe SSD/ 4x 3TB HDDs|Logitech G502 Proteus Core|Razer DeathStalker Ultimate|Occulus Rift|3xAsus ROG Swift PG278Q|Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus|Wrapped up in a sexy Corsair Obsidian 900D w/ Custom Laser etching

#19 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 11:01 AM

Highest it'll let me go given the dx9 limitation, but that's beside the point. The fact is, I CAN run any modern game at 1080p 60 fps no problem, but now we're getting off topic.

The point of this thread is that Hawken is poorly programmed and I'd like to know if there's any workarounds for its lack of optimization.

The thing is, I KNOW my rig can run Hawken smoothly. Whenever the ui elements are hidden, such as in third-person or during the fade-out after a match, my framerate comes right up to where it belongs. It's quite clear the visual UI elements are what's dragging my performance down.
Sentium or Prosk_

#20 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 12:47 PM

RunaPanda brought an interesting point about max resolution.  Even if you should be able to run the game in 1080p, you should drop it and tell the results.  For the sake of experimenting.

Just to clarify, it drops when you see the UI and you walk around_  Your FPS is fine when you look around without moving_  The UI doesn't cause problems as long as you're not moving_  Or the UI drops your FPS whenever it's on the screen_

You've already seen this thread : https://community.pl...les#entry549267
If you have made the UI look like this and the problem persists, I insist that you try old drivers...
http://support.amd.c...=Windows 7 - 32
In order, I would try 13.1 - 12.10 - 12.6 - 12.3 - 12.1

I realize now that it's more fun to do that sort of stuff myself in front of the computer, because then I don't feel like I have to convince anyone that it's worth a try.  >.>

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, August 26 2014 - 12:53 PM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users