HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A Wolf's Brawler Guide

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Behemoth66

Behemoth66

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 06:39 AM

Let’s discus the Brawler, shall we_

The Brawler is one of the most difficult mechs to learn in Hawken. It moves slowly and only has short range burst damage to start, leaving most new pilots baffled about the point of this seemingly useless mech. It may have the most health of any mech, but can’t stay in the open for that long due to its slow speed and poor maneuvering. Many pilots try this cheap mech once or twice and chose to leave it sit in their garage and gather dust. However, this mech isn’t useless like they have come to believe. It is however, an unwieldy and unforgiving beast with a steep learning curve. Look up Soldierhobbs11 for in depth video tutorials about all mechs, however his Brawler video didn’t quite explain how best to use it. This guide is intended to fill in the gaps he left that I found and used to enormous effect. So, without further adue, let’s get started.

I‘ll cover three subjects here:
  • What not to do in your Brawler
  • How to use your Brawler
  • Load outs
The biggest draw of the Brawler is its price tag. Being the cheapest heavy mech, it’s understandable why someone may want to buy this as a low cost investment into a new class. Unless you do your homework (reading this and asking questions in the comments counts), this is a bad idea. The Brawler is very different from most of the other mechs you’ve used. First off, it starts off with exclusively burst damage, meaning that you don’t have the DPS to go toe to toe with most skillful pilots in the open. Second this is a defensive mech, meaning it was never meant to fight in the open and away from cover or give chase. This mech is very poor at death match and team death match if you’re not use to it.

Never ever EVER try to fight in the air with this thing, you’re slow enough on the ground. Every so often you need to hop over cover to pop a repairing enemy, which is the only time to fly in a Brawler.

Also, in its current state, the turret mode is worthless. Technically you can heal with your guns still out, but I can’t recall a single time where a regular repair sequence would have been less effective. The turret mode doesn’t absorb and repair enough to be worth the total loss of mobility. The soul possible exception involves a load out I will discuss later.

Never let yourself overheat, it’s got a 6 second cool down.

While the Brawler has a learning curve like a brick wall, the wall is short and once you overcome it, you can pilot any heavy mech.

Now let’s get to the reason you’re all here, how to use your Brawler.

Remember what I said about this being a defensive mech_ Park one of these on the AA and no one is getting through. Well, I say park but you never really stop moving. You get behind a big hunk of cover (preferably one were you can pop out of different spots and keep them guessing) and play a game called peekaboo.

All you have to do is wait for someone to have the audacity to come in range of your guns and smack them with your flack and TOW simultaneously. Immediately afterward you doge back into cover to avoid their pathetic retaliation. After you dodge, do not use your boost, doge, or, god forbid, try to fly till you’ve fired again and boost back into cover.

Every time you use fuel or generate heat you can be seen on radar. It’s always better if the other guy doesn’t know where you’re going to pop up next. This puts you in control and lets you control the pace of any given situation. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve shot and dodged back into cover and the guy thought he’d be clever and flank me. Most of the time people use their boost to close the distance and give away their entire advantage of surprise. Remember, keep them guessing and you’ll always be one step ahead.

Despite the Brawler’s incredible power, you can’t really attack or play aggressively yourself. You have to bait people into situations you control the pace of battle, which is difficult, but incredibly rewarding.

Always stick with your pack, you need them to flank and cover your back, and they need your firepower and armor. Don’t be afraid to tank some rounds for your pack, they’ll stick around long enough to pay you back.

Whenever possible, try to stay hidden from radar. This requires patience due to your slow walking speed, but it’s amazing the chaos you can create punching people in the back of the head.

Most Brawler pilots, including myself, will tell you the flack cannon is the best due to its high burst damage combined with the TOW. However you HAVE to watch your heat because this gun heats up fast. You can manage this a bit by only shooting the TOW and flack simultaneously, but this only works for so long. Remember that this setup is only effective at short range playing peekaboo.

The second weapon is the SA Hawkens, which is closer to an assault rifle, and is effective at mid to long ranges. This is the only load out where the turret can be used in combat because you can doge more easily and are a smaller target at mid to long range. With the Hawkens, you become more of a support gunner than a hunter. Your goal is to attrite enemy health so your pack can get the kills. Another way to phrase it is you switch from a short range defensive mech to a mid-range hybrid defense\suppression mech. With this gun, it becomes far more important to stick with your pack, because it is very hard to get kills alone with this rifle. Your DPS is lower than that of an AR and you are a big target in the open.

Now the prestige weapon, the Vulcan, is pretty bad on the Brawler. The ½ second spin up time prevents you from reacting as fast as you need to and the heat generation is just terrible. This gun really needs a faster mech to chase people down to be used effectively. On the Brawler, it combines the disadvantages of both the previous weapons (short range and lack of reaction burst damage, respectively) without having merits of its own. Perhaps another Brawler pilot will sing this gun’s praises, but they’re rare. The rare occasions I do see one, they’re in the scrap yard rather quickly.

For Items, I go with the mk2 shield and repair charge. The Brawler can shield duel pretty well and the repair charges are good when you need health and can’t afford to lose mobility. One tactic you can use is deploy turret and a charge to quickly heal about 250 armor.

My internals are advanced deflectors (-20% damage while boosting/dodging), the advanced reconstructer (heals automatically if out of combat for a set period of time), and the shock coils (reduces fall damage 100%). They’re pretty self-explanatory, but if you want to know more ask.

I do believe that covers everything. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I’ll answer as best I can.

Edited by Behemoth66, September 01 2014 - 04:07 AM.

#2 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 31 2014 - 07:40 AM

Now the prestige weapon, the Vulcan, is pretty bad on the Brawler. The ½ second spin up time prevents you from reacting as fast as you need to and the heat generation is just terrible. This gun really needs a faster mech to chase people down to be used effectively. On the Brawler, it combines the disadvantages of both the previous weapons (short range and lack of reaction burst damage, respectively) without having merits of its own. Perhaps another Brawler pilot will sing this gun’s praises, but they’re rare. The rare occasions I do see one, they’re in the scrap yard rather quickly.
Sad but true. Although, with right positioning even this loadout can rock. Can provide tons of proof if necessary.

Posted Image

#3 Siamenis

Siamenis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationinvading Zion

Posted August 31 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostBehemoth66, on August 31 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

Immediately afterward you doge back...

Posted Imagevia Imgflip Meme Maker

Sorry, couldn't resist. Otherwise a good guide. Brawler is all about good positioning, which you nicely explain in detail. Good work!

Edited by Siamenis, August 31 2014 - 08:07 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted August 31 2014 - 08:38 AM

Posted Image

I'm just messing with ya ;). In all seriousness, Nice guide! On my second account, the only mechs I have are the Brawler and my CR-T, so I play it quite a lot. This guide seems to cover most of the points I'd make about flak brawler. Good job! :D
Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#5 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted August 31 2014 - 08:43 AM

I can make the brawler dance. Not that hard of thing to do.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#6 Zuurkern

Zuurkern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBeergium

Posted August 31 2014 - 09:02 AM

My internals are composite armor (-20% damage while boosting/dodging), the advanced reconstructer (heals automatically if out of combat for a set period of time), and the shock coils (reduces fall damage 100%). They’re pretty self-explanatory, but if you want to know more ask.

Don't you mean Deflectors though_ Great guide either way ;)

#7 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 31 2014 - 11:25 AM

YES! make dat puppy dance: Deflectors, PowerSurger, Extractor. Mk3 Repair orb, mk1 shield. Roger the turret-only-to-fast-heal mode.
Good tutorial!

btw: load this up into the Steam Hawken community page. It's way better than the last one I saw there.

Edited by EM1O, August 31 2014 - 11:28 AM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#8 Behemoth66

Behemoth66

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostTheVulong, on August 31 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Sad but true. Although, with right positioning even this loadout can rock. Can provide tons of proof if necessary.

I'd like to see what you have

View PostMiscellaneous, on August 31 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

I'm just messing with ya ;). In all seriousness, Nice guide! On my second account, the only mechs I have are the Brawler and my CR-T, so I play it quite a lot. This guide seems to cover most of the points I'd make about flak brawler. Good job! :D

Spell check didn't see it, and I don't either. Give me a break, I wrote this in a hotel room with my tablet.

View PostZuurkern, on August 31 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

My internals are composite armor (-20% damage while boosting/dodging), the advanced reconstructer (heals automatically if out of combat for a set period of time), and the shock coils (reduces fall damage 100%). They’re pretty self-explanatory, but if you want to know more ask.

Sorry, I wrote this in a hotel room on a tablet.

#9 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 31 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostBehemoth66, on August 31 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostTheVulong, on August 31 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

I'd like to see what you have
First this:
Spoiler

Then this, starting from the old days:
Spoiler

Posted Image

#10 Zuurkern

Zuurkern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBeergium

Posted August 31 2014 - 10:31 PM

No biggie man, but maybe edit it in your original post so people don't buy the wrong internal by accident.
Composite armor doesn't seem that useful to me for a Brawler ;)

Edited by Zuurkern, August 31 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#11 I2DI

I2DI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted September 01 2014 - 12:05 AM

*Picks SA Hawkens on Brawler*
I told ya, sniping is a good job!

Great tutorial btw.
U wot m8.

Edited by I2DI, September 01 2014 - 12:06 AM.

You better shouldn't do !!Science!!, 'cos i will bring it to you myself.
References to the God of References.

#12 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted September 01 2014 - 01:50 AM

View PostMiscellaneous, on August 31 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

Spell check didn't see it, and I don't either. Give me a break, I wrote this in a hotel room with my tablet.

Don't mind me, I was just having a laugh. :)

Edited by Miscellaneous, September 01 2014 - 01:50 AM.

Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#13 AlphaPanzer01

AlphaPanzer01

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationHồ Chí Minh city, VietNam

Posted September 02 2014 - 02:05 AM

View PostZuurkern, on August 31 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

No biggie man, but maybe edit it in your original post so people don't buy the wrong internal by accident.
1st of all, I would like to tks for the topic writer :)  
2ndly, I'm using Composite amor for my Brawler. should I drop it or what___
For VietNam!!!!

#14 Behemoth66

Behemoth66

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 07:53 AM

View PostAlphaPanzer01, on September 02 2014 - 02:05 AM, said:

View PostZuurkern, on August 31 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

1st of all, I would like to tks for the topic writer :)  
2ndly, I'm using Composite amor for my Brawler. should I drop it or what___
That will really depend on your skill level and preferences. I've had days* where an armor boost after a death would have been really helpful because I had a bad night. The deflectors are guaranteed, but only while you're boosting. I find it useful to minimize damage in the short time I'm in the open while playing peekaboo. I, personally, would drop it for advanced deflectors.
* I wrote says instead of days

Edited by Behemoth66, September 07 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#15 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 10:57 AM

Repair kit + Extractor + deflectors.
You too, can become a neverdiebrawler!

#16 TangledMantis

TangledMantis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 09 2014 - 09:51 AM

Brawler was the 10th mech ive bought with HC and I found it to be very fun. I usually play scout and loading up a stock confic brawler, I was making points pretty fast. Probably due to the experience using Flak and Tow from Scout, I found brawler to just be a big fat scout.

With scout Ive gotten decent (not amazing) at landing hits and predicting where to place my tows. My biggest problem against other good players has been surviving long enough to finish the job. Brawler fixed that immediately.

After playing brawler for just a couple days, I switched back to scout and holy fuzzy bunny.. it was like taking the shakles off my ankles. I now switch between scout and brawler pretty much depending on the map and other team. I play them very similarly, but my choice depends on map and suvivability.

I would say brawler, scout, and tech are my three fav. mechs now.

Edited by TangledMantis, September 09 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#17 MalazanSapper

MalazanSapper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 06:22 AM

Hawken & Psy - why did I not think of this before ... thank you Vulong - that was infectious! :D

#18 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 11 2014 - 10:45 AM

couldn't have said it better, myself.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users