HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Explain why you shoot the ship in siege when...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 09:15 AM

1) The entire rest of the team is trying to take the AA what makes you think the right thing to do is stay back in the base and shot a ship with nearly full health_

2) How did you discover this amazing technique of team sabotage_

3) Do you hate dying so much...but love seeing the rest of your team die in a fire_

Please for the love of god and all that is holy describe why you shoot the ship in  siege when there are so many better alternatives even after people request in text that you cease shooting the ship_

#2 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 09:29 AM

Look for a topic that is called "real siege veterans shoot the ship" and then read it_
Then read the siege tutorial that is a sticky post.

Shooting the ship causes less overall damage to your base after a certain point.  The early ships can be taken out very quickly, even if only one player shoots it.  More or less, the difference in shooting the first two ships after they are halfway vs trying to take the aa is doing about a thousand damage to your own base.

Sure, there are times when you want to take the aa, but once you figure out you aren't going to take the objective being down a man, if you don't help them shoot it then you are the one hurting your team by sticking to your guns and typing instead of doing anything useful.

#3 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted September 07 2014 - 09:33 AM

Explain why you play Siege in the first place..

Posted Image

#4 MalazanSapper

MalazanSapper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 10:14 AM

View Postspo0n, on September 07 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Sure, there are times when you want to take the aa, but once you figure out you aren't going to take the objective being down a man, if you don't help them shoot it then you are the one hurting your team by sticking to your guns and typing instead of doing anything useful.

Everything you say makes perfect sense. Those 2 posts are very informative - if only they were visible in the game! I've seen one concerted team effort to shoot down the ship when it was appropriate. Mostly I see randoms firing by themselves when they really should be fighting for the AA.

What I have also seen is half the team quit on 2 occassions when someone with more experience said it was best to shoot the ship. I also spent a fun-filled 10 mins on Origin last night where 3 team members did nothing BUT shoot the ship from the raised platforms in between the AA and the base.

Point being - these posts - and the fact that siege is locked from new players until you've played a few TDM rounds - simply aren't enough. There needs to be a quiz or something ... if you can't answer all the questions right - no siege for you! ;)

#5 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted September 07 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostTheVulong, on September 07 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Explain why you're here in the first place..

Posted Image

#6 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted September 07 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostEliteShooter, on September 07 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

View PostTheVulong, on September 07 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Explain why you're here in the first place..
The magic of birth.

Posted Image

#7 thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostThatDamnedBoedy, on September 07 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

1) The entire rest of the team is trying to take the AA what makes you think the right thing to do is stay back in the base and shot a ship with nearly full health_

2) How did you discover this amazing technique of team sabotage_

3) Do you hate dying so much...but love seeing the rest of your team die in a fire_

Please for the love of god and all that is holy describe why you shoot the ship in  siege when there are so many better alternatives even after people request in text that you cease shooting the ship_

Good question.
Personally I shoot the ship, if possible, on the way to AA. Mostly when other team members have control already or are respawning so we can attack AA at the same time.

Asus Rampage III Extreme - Core I7 920 - 16Gb G.Skill RipJawsZ - 2 EVGA GTX 560ti (SLi) - Cosair Hydro H50 cooler - Corsair CMPSU-1000HX - Antec DF-35
In space no one can hear you scream!

#8 hellc9943

hellc9943

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 01:55 PM

I am a sniper, I have long range weapons and high accuracy so I always shoot the ship and the ship only.

#9 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 02:40 PM

View Posthellc9943, on September 07 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

I am a sniper, I have long range weapons and high accuracy so I always shoot the ship and the ship only.
You should be standing on the aa AND shooting the ship.  Multitask instead of half assing it

#10 ScarletThirteen

ScarletThirteen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 03:55 PM

View Posthellc9943, on September 07 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

It's a good thing we probably don't play in the same region or I would have "accidentally slipped" on my EMP firing key while passing by you. Unless the AA is so seriously well-defended that it can't be taken, it's better to pick off guys at the AA first, only shooting at the ship in-between "lulls" (when the entire enemy team is dead or at least away from AA).

Edited by ScarletThirteen, September 07 2014 - 03:57 PM.

Leader of the non-existent Scarlet Squadron.
You can't treat a mech like a human being. A MECH NEEDS LOVE!
Raider-chan! Where have you been all my life!_  <3

#11 MalazanSapper

MalazanSapper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostScarletThirteen, on September 07 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

It's a good thing we probably don't play in the same region or I would have "accidentally slipped" on my EMP firing key while passing by you.

<makes note of EMP tactic for next horrendous siege game> :ph34r:

#12 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 08:32 PM

Pretty sure the best way to troll is a wall, as teammates cannot kill it, or a heat charge, cause those things stick around like a plague.

You could always stand in front of them and kill yourself repeatedly with splash damage if you want a more... cerebral attack.

#13 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted September 07 2014 - 09:14 PM

View Postspo0n, on September 07 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Look for a topic that is called "real siege veterans shoot the ship" and then read it_
Then read the siege tutorial that is a sticky post.

Shooting the ship causes less overall damage to your base after a certain point.  The early ships can be taken out very quickly, even if only one player shoots it.  More or less, the difference in shooting the first two ships after they are halfway vs trying to take the aa is doing about a thousand damage to your own base.

1) The AA always takes out ships faster
2) you can shoot the ship from the aa and still provide anotoher body on the control area
3) if you're sniping you're doing it wrong
4) destroying the turrets reduces the ship from 8 dps to 6...feel free to shoot the turrets off FROM THE AA
5) If all concerted efforts fail to dislodge the enemy from the aa then yes shoot the ship
6) if the ship is in low/critical health and you've lost control of the AA...shoot the ship

Shooting the ship is always the worst option.  Sometimes it can help swing the initiative back to your team, but it is at best a delaying action for an already losing team.  If you want to win you have to push the AA as a team.  It helps if you're in heavy mechs and one or two are in technicians.

I realize that not everyone has every mech.  However the current test drive leaves everyone with a rocketteer and the option of a bruiser as well.  Please for the good of your team use one of those and not a reaper or sharpshooter.  If you insist on using a sniper...snipe from teh aa and provide help.  Siege does not track your K/D ratio.  Do not be afraid to die...die...respawn and come back ASAP.  It is more important to reinforce the AA than it is to provide even mildly effective sniper fire since you did little to control the missile turret.

#14 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted September 07 2014 - 11:50 PM

Its always depending on your team,for example if I see that there is no way taking the AA,its better shooting down one ship to avoid more base dmg.Plus you get that extra xp for nuking the enemy ship(even one bullet counts).

Edited by Odinous, September 08 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#15 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted September 08 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostOdinous, on September 07 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

Its always depending on your team,for example if I see that there is no way taking the AA,its better shooting down one ship to avoid more base dmg.Plus you get that extra xp for nuking the enemy ship(even one bullet counts).

If the team I'm on is only getting 2 at a time on the aa and there are one or two people back shooting the ship for no reason...I leave the match.  I leave any match where someone is using a reaper or sharpshooter because we're going to lose.  Most players aren't good enough or confident enough to CQC with either of those and so they end up sniping from outside of the control box.  The same thing goes for shooting the ship.  They just don't wanna die.  As if there's meaningful consequences :-P

#16 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 08 2014 - 07:07 AM

I think the general consensus is that the players you are angry with will never come to the forums and read what you have to say.  So save the anger.

When the Noobs are ready and want to get better at playing the game, a few of them will come to seek information.

There are plenty of pros and cons about when to shoot the ship that have already been posted in other threads for me to want to repeat them here.

#17 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted September 08 2014 - 09:09 AM

Six incins will shoot down a ship faster than the aa until you get to ship four.

But who cares, you just complain at people and then quit playing.  Enjoy your abandons and losses ;)

#18 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted September 10 2014 - 02:25 AM

So true!
Summary : Shoot down a ship when you realize that your teammates are all newbies and can't take the AA! Simple! Don't like_ Don't play it!
Taking the guns out do help. And those swirly patterns on the back of the ship (the engines) are so irresistible that I can't help  myself from shooting it down. You do get XP for both shooting down a ship, taking the AA and defending it.

Challenge : Take the AA and hold it all by yourself :ph34r: . Then, I'll call that person, a skilled pilot!
Posted Image

#19 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted September 11 2014 - 05:12 PM

incin with baby or mama will tear it up
i don't mean any of it

#20 MalazanSapper

MalazanSapper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted September 12 2014 - 05:25 AM

View Postspo0n, on September 07 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Pretty sure the best way to troll is a wall, as teammates cannot kill it, or a heat charge, cause those things stick around like a plague.

You could always stand in front of them and kill yourself repeatedly with splash damage if you want a more... cerebral attack.

Not sure why - but after one too many of those kinda rounds - I start to feel like this

Edited by MalazanSapper, September 12 2014 - 05:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users