HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

So Reaper is a small sharpshooter

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shade_of_Light

Shade_of_Light

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 09 2014 - 11:59 AM

Im a reaper player and i like to play him at  close to mid range because he has great mobility and his weapons can do more dps at close range.Yes i know he can be effective at long range but most of the people i saw is just playing him as a sharpshooter.They just stay too far on a high ground and trying to hit something.But instead of doing damage and helping alot they feed the enemy predator,scout or infiltrator.I think he needs an information change or something like that

#2 Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationJoono Araska

Posted September 09 2014 - 01:57 PM

The reaper is probably best thought of as a "Marksman," in that your goal is to assign damage onto the battlefield just behind the front line so you neither draw attention nor block your teammates' shots. you need to be aware of your surroundings and everybody's armor especially.
You'll want to look for the ally n the most need of help and target hi/her target and fire upon the enemies who are MOST hindering your team from pushing significantly. Make sure that unless circumstances are in your favor as much as possible before you chase down a low health target or engage an enemy first. And remember a long as an enemy has at least one point of health,they can still deal damage so mop them up a well.

#3 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted September 09 2014 - 03:36 PM

I agree with OP, Sharpie is redundant (I know that's not what you said), seeing as the Reaper can sit still, and also, for the sake of the other team, a Reaper can be taken out much easier than a Sharpie (though we can put up a good fight). As a Reaper pilot, I can say that it takes skill to pilot a slug Reaper in a support fire role, but no skill to pilot a slug Sharpie, which can sit and take hits without having to run around and dodge shots.

And one more thing: Res chassis ugly.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#4 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted September 09 2014 - 03:39 PM

Yup.
What IC sed.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#5 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted September 09 2014 - 04:48 PM

I feel as though they each have their place. The Reaper (my favorite between the two) is a close-ish ranged initiator/finisher. High mobility combined with any of the available primaries lets you hit hard in close quarters. At range, you can still punch holes in fools that try to run with Precision Overdrive. The Sharpie on the other hand is a stronger mid-long range combatant. Its primaries are already very accurate at longer ranges, assuming you're scoped in. Even the SA will put three rounds through the same hole from a mile away. This, combined with Powershot, will give you the ability to hang back and rip out 30-50% of someone's armor without them even knowing where the shots came from, let alone give them a chance to retaliate. But, since you're giving up mobility, you are more vulnerable to rushes.

What this boils down to is that Reaper and Sharpie are two sides of the same coin. On one side, you can get up in the fight and help your teammates on the line. On the other, you can hang back but still reach out and punish the opposition. They emphasize different aspects of the sniper role, letting you choose which you prefer. At least, that's how I see it.

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#6 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted September 09 2014 - 08:09 PM

View PostIronClamp, on September 09 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

I agree with OP, Sharpie is redundant (I know that's not what you said), seeing as the Reaper can sit still, and also, for the sake of the other team, a Reaper can be taken out much easier than a Sharpie (though we can put up a good fight). As a Reaper pilot, I can say that it takes skill to pilot a slug Reaper in a support fire role, but no skill to pilot a slug Sharpie, which can sit and take hits without having to run around and dodge shots.

As a Sharpshooter pilot, I can say that it takes significant skill to pilot a Sharpie in high-tier matches - especially in mid-range and CQC battles.  The thing has the lowest armour of any B class (470), so it can't exactly "sit and take hits".  Against good players, a Sharpshooter who's sitting still will be mauled in 3-4 seconds.

I'd argue that Reaper's the easier of the two to play.  Its KE-Sabot is much more forgiving with misses, its accuracy buff makes CQC and mid-range battles a breeze, and it has the mobility to reposition, avoid fire, and seek friendly support.

*Edit* I do agree that the Res chassis is ugly.  Muller ftw.

Edited by Nept, September 10 2014 - 01:49 AM.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#7 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted September 09 2014 - 08:10 PM

Reaper is fine as it is. Players who don't actively try to figure out how to more effectively use their mech is the problem here. That goes for every mech choice, not just Reaper. You could tell every one of them how to use the Reaper and 9 out of 10 will either ignore you or tell you to shut up and mind your own business. Some people are just bad and won't or don't want to try things differently.

You could even change the Garage to sort mechs by range effectiveness, announce it in big bold text, and you would still see people trying to use Reaper like a typical SS. Not because they're redundant mechs, but because the person considers themselves a sniper and camping in one spot at long distance is the only way they play.

Edited by nokari, September 09 2014 - 08:12 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Alpha86

Alpha86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 02:03 AM

I pilot reaper in the more open maps like bunker and bazaar. I don't like to sit still but as we all know, in this game sitting still in ANY mech will get you killed quick.

I personally feel that the Reaper is somewhere between semi ineffective and effective. Let me explain.

Alot of the time if I see somebody on my team in trouble, I'll get as close as I can safely, scope in and blast the enemy with a slug+ke sabot.
It does a decent amount of damage, but by this point the enemy is probably running away. The weapons dont do enough damage to finish them off before they're safely with their team, especially if it's a B-class. Sure I could chase and maybe finish them off, but that could be potentially feeding the other team a free kill.

On the other hand, I find the reaper is best for mopping up weakened retreating enemies that are low on health. Most games when I play Reaper I just have high assists with 3 or 4 kills.

Edited by Alpha86, September 10 2014 - 02:05 AM.

#9 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 10:44 AM

I would have to disagree that reaper can be taken out easier than a sharpie.  On the simple side yes they have less hps, but as going with the op saying about the scout infil and pred why the reaper is an easy target for them, well not really I would rather encounter a sharpie on either of those classes than a reaper and heres why. Because if you already got up close to the reaper/sharpie then the sharpei has lot harder time with that cqc where as the reaper will actually stand a fighting chance.

But no the reaper should not be standing in one spot like a lot of people play the sharpie.  In fact really the sharpie shouldnt be doing that either not for long periods of time at all.

Nept: I know your higher mmr, but I think that a sharpie can get his mmr up higher because you could potentially get more kills simply cause you have more punching power.  The reaper has the ability to tag a bunch of targets faster hence potentially getting more assist but I think a good sharpie will trump a good reaper in score most the time given same skill lvl.  Take me I actually play both reaper/sharpie, but I play reaper a lot more so i should be better with him right_ well my score /min is actually higher by a little bit on my sharpie than my reaper.

Edited by Skitzo1d, September 10 2014 - 10:47 AM.

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#10 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 14 2014 - 11:47 AM

The sharpshooter is definitely more of a traditional sniper. The reaper is more like a rifleman. Seen more often on the midline, helping the front push up by giving them supporting fire. Sharpshooter has the greater damage output, but the reaper has much greater mobility. Reaper still plays like most other A-classes, flanking and harassing the enemy. The reaper just does it from a longer range. However, if you're standing far back and sniping from a distance in a reaper, you're doing it wrong. Reaper is much more effective at the midline, not the back line. Also, on the subject of a sharpshooter, a sharpshooter that doesn't move with their team to cover them is a bad sharpshooter. A sharpshooter is meant to provide long range cover fire and support fire, not to simply stand in one place for an extended period of time unless he's defending an objective. Same goes with the reaper, but he should be closer up than a sharpshooter. This is just coming from my experience playing both mechs and observing other, better sharpshooters and reapers play.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, September 14 2014 - 11:50 AM.

Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#11 Milithistorian

Milithistorian

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted September 16 2014 - 08:49 PM

So... what internals do people usually run on their Reapers_
I'm thinking a basic reconstructer, deflectors and air compressor.

(Sorry if minor necro)
Military Historian, Comedian(Master's in Puns)
Find me most anywhere as Milithistorian or something of the sort.

Yeah. Best sig ever, I know.

#12 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted September 17 2014 - 05:35 AM

I do replenisher, evasive device, and basic extractor. Still not sure if the replenisher is worth it though.

#13 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted September 17 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostSkitzo1d, on September 10 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

I would have to disagree that reaper can be taken out easier than a sharpie.  On the simple side yes they have less hps, but as going with the op saying about the scout infil and pred why the reaper is an easy target for them, well not really I would rather encounter a sharpie on either of those classes than a reaper and heres why. Because if you already got up close to the reaper/sharpie then the sharpei has lot harder time with that cqc where as the reaper will actually stand a fighting chance.

But no the reaper should not be standing in one spot like a lot of people play the sharpie.  In fact really the sharpie shouldnt be doing that either not for long periods of time at all.

Nept: I know your higher mmr, but I think that a sharpie can get his mmr up higher because you could potentially get more kills simply cause you have more punching power.  The reaper has the ability to tag a bunch of targets faster hence potentially getting more assist but I think a good sharpie will trump a good reaper in score most the time given same skill lvl.  Take me I actually play both reaper/sharpie, but I play reaper a lot more so i should be better with him right_ well my score /min is actually higher by a little bit on my sharpie than my reaper.

Any post wherein Skitzoid implies that a mech is better than a Reaper should be taken seriously.

View Postmmm_yep, on September 17 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

I do replenisher, evasive device, and basic extractor. Still not sure if the replenisher is worth it though.

I'd say no, just because 85% of its benefit can compensated for by human skill. If you're going RPR though, it might be better_ No idea.

#14 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 11:13 AM

View Postmmm_yep, on September 17 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

Replenisher is an absolute no no with reaper.  Wud only be slightly useful with the rpr and that is very negligable for a 3 slot internal.

View PostMilithistorian, on September 16 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

So... what internals do people usually run on their Reapers_
I'm thinking a basic reconstructer, deflectors and air compressor.

(Sorry if minor necro)

This is not a bad build  Ac, Deflectors, basic reconstructer.  I would sub the reconstructer for fuel converter or basic extractor depending on item set up.  This is the set up I use to run.

current set up I'm running is

Adv repair kit, extractor , basic fuel converter.  It works well in cqc versus any mech not using similiar set up.  The biggest downfall of this set up is you have to get use to not using Ac in your build.  Also if you trying switching between mechs that use Ac and dont, it doesnt work out well for you simply because trying to adjust to the new mechanics each time is overwhelming.  either play all your mechs (of same class ) with AC or no Ac would be my suggestion.

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users