HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hello World

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 robhawken

robhawken

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 13 2014 - 09:39 AM

Good day pilots,

I'm rob, pretty new to hawken (post steam) but got already got quiet some hours into the game.

Due to all this doomsday threads I thought why not show some support and say hi.

So here I am, 35 year old casual gamer. Got raised during the ages of Doom, Quake and wolfenstein:ET Kind of missed out on the whole online / competitive gaming culture that came after those Id-Software titles mainly because I was busy being a father and finishing my degree (applied computer science, software engineering n stuff)..

Now I've got way more time for my own than healthy and enjoy putting some of that into hawken. I ordered the Occulus Rift DK1 some months ago online and stumbled upon this "Hawken" - thing. I love mechs and robots in general - so it got my attention immediately. I went so far to setup a windows machine for gaming again just for hawken - which is quiet remarkable for a unix-guy like me.

I'm located in the heart of Europe in a ridiculously small country somewhere between switzerland and austria.

Mostly I get stomped on US east servers, should play on european servers but my brain can't handle pings below 100ms as it seems.

My preferred mech is the predator - playing "cloaked" makes me kind of weak so I'm forcing myself to play a eoc-raider without air compressor more often to get better (and I suck bad mmr 1700 and falling but I keep on working on it).

If you see my account running around with sustained damage - mechs thats probably my 10 year old son with way better reflexes than me. I keep the burst - weapon mechs for me while he gets the easier ones ;)

Cheers and see you on the battlefield

#2 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted September 13 2014 - 01:35 PM

Willkommen

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#3 I2DI

I2DI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted September 13 2014 - 01:56 PM

Just gonna say welcome.
Too tired for making up something original.
You better shouldn't do !!Science!!, 'cos i will bring it to you myself.
References to the God of References.

#4 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted September 13 2014 - 02:00 PM

Welcome aboard pilot!!!Enjoy Hawken!!!

#5 BlueMelon987

BlueMelon987

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia,Singapore

Posted September 13 2014 - 07:08 PM

welcome pilot ,see you on the battlefield sooner or later. with practice you will make a great spy or assassin for your team and also a valuable asset
Posted Image

#6 JukeBarzel

JukeBarzel

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationוירג'יניה

Posted September 13 2014 - 07:47 PM

you might give the Replenisher a try on that Raider. You will nearly be ready for another boost shot as soon as your fuel regenerates.
YMMV

Posted Image

Make me happy. Just give me something big and nasty, then let me take it out and blow up Stuff with it.

#7 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 14 2014 - 11:11 AM

WELCOME FRESH MEAT- I mean.. FELLOW PILOT!
Lol, in all seriousness, welcome to the world of Hawken. If you ever need help with the game, feel free to ask. You can also click on the link in my signature for a large amount of tutorials aimed at getting beginners on their feet and well familiar with the game and the mechs. I'm always adding more when I can so be sure to check it out!

And trust me, you're not that bad. My guess is that you're just missing a few bit and pieces of info about the game that might be vital to you playing much better. Maybe my videos will help, but if not feel free to ask me directly. Oh yeah, and if you doubt I know what I'm talking about, my MMR is around 2000. Not trying to brag, just stating my credentials, I suppose. Man I sound like a fuzzy bunny in this post....
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#8 Lasraik

Lasraik

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, N.M.

Posted September 15 2014 - 06:02 AM

Welcome!

#9 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 15 2014 - 06:15 AM

Hey,

Welcome to the Forums.

so do you play US East due to poor population in UE servers_  You mentioned about ping, but it didn't make sense to me that you want to play with higher ping here in the US_

#10 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted September 15 2014 - 07:02 AM

Welcome to HAWKEN :D

View Postrobhawken, on September 13 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

My preferred mech is the predator

YEEEEESSSSSS :D

Edited by Miscellaneous, September 15 2014 - 07:02 AM.

Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#11 robhawken

robhawken

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hey there,

thanks for the warm welcome to all.

@SoldierHobbes11: I'm of course aware of your videos and guides, enjoyed the raider and predator ones - thanks for sharing - much appreciated by new pilots like me. Maybe I should post a video of my gameplay and let you guys comment on it. Would make clearer what exactly I'm doing wrong. Since I got rid of the air compressor I rarely get up in the air while duelling and rely mostly on peekabooing and just moving on the ground. Seems like I catch huge amounts of additional splash damage due to this... After watching craftys livestream where he definitely gets up in the air, even without AC, i might try that more often.

@JukeBarzel: Sticking with the power surger, deflectors and failsafe for the moment. Will give the replenisher a try later. Thanks for the tips though.  

@BurnsHot: I tried playing on EU servers a few times but did even worse than on UE (not hitting anything). I assumed that my brain isn't used to such low pings and this might be the reason (another explanation would be the smaller player pool and the the higher mmr matches I got thrown in). I will try again as soon as I'm up to speed with the raider).

Cheers
rob

#12 Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationRepública Separatista de Haedo

Posted September 15 2014 - 11:45 AM

Welcome, fellow pilot.

I also got confused about wanting to play with a ping higher than 100 ms. :blink:
If I get anything below 200 I'm jumping with joy.

See you on the battlefield!
Cybrex: Predators hunt from above.
MessyBopzz: like jesus_
Cybrex: Better than jesus

Posted Image

#13 crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Best Coast

Posted September 16 2014 - 08:39 AM

(applied computer science, software engineering n stuff)..

Explains the title haha
Signing on the dotted line

#14 robhawken

robhawken

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 16 2014 - 11:16 PM

View Postcrockrocket, on September 16 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

(applied computer science, software engineering n stuff)..

Explains the title haha

yep old habits die hard I guess :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users