HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

What mech should I get_

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 UniverseBear

UniverseBear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 07:04 AM

So I started playing this game and have been loving it. I've picked up on the game mechanics pretty damn fast and have been rocking the fuzzy bunny out of people in my box mech. Now I'm nearing enough HC to be able to purchase most mechs in the game and am wondering what mech I should get. I'm definitely going to keep the box mech and deck it out but I also want to have some different playstyles available. Right now I'm thinking I want to get into people's faces and fight close ranged.
I'm currently debating between the Scout and the Raider. The scout has the TOW which I know and love and the idea of a shotgun like gun fills me with good feelings. The Raider has the Corsair which doesn't seem bad but I just don't know how it will perform as I've never used it. The raider's prestige gun doesn't seem like what I want in a mech but neither does the scout's prestige gun. I'd feel that I'd rather use the various flak guns.

Bascally I want to get up close, dodge around the enemy and blow him up. I mostly play deathmatch.

#2 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 14 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostUniverseBear, on September 14 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

Bascally I want to get up close, dodge around the enemy and blow him up. I mostly play deathmatch.

Scouts seem to Dominate in Deathmatch.  They have a low health pool so you can and will die easily so it will take you time to learn how to play.  Don't get discouraged and have fun.  

Raider has its other uses and advantages too so either of them are not bad choices

#3 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:06 AM

Why don't you check out the guides available both on the main site and those offered by the elite players_
Check out SoldierHobbes11's guide as an example : https://community.pl...rk-in-progress/
Posted Image

#4 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:30 AM

I would definitley suggest going with the Scout, the mini flak is great, and (if you can use it well) the heat cannon is one of the best weapons int the game for such a mobile mech. The Scout take a bit of getting used to though, because it is a bit of a glass cannon, and if you aren't careful, and very passive-agressive you will quickly get wrecked, but it can dance circles around most of the B's and pretty much all of the C's.

#5 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:40 AM

It's a hard pick, really. The Raider is awesome since you can get up in someone's grill, tear 'em a structurally superfluous new behind, then Blitz out of there. Or conversely, Blitz after a near-dead or unaware enemy, take 'em down, then just swag away like the big bad beast you are. The Scout is good for staying on the move. Given your low health, you've got to dance pretty fiercely to not get blown away, but you can bring down big game just the same. The fuel restoration is great for getting into or out of trouble, and even for just getting from one place to another. They're both pretty similar, the Scout and Raider. The Raider has a larger health pool, but the Scout has greater mobility. And as for the Prestige weapons, HEAT Scout is basically a speed demon dual wielding rocket launchers (which is a TON of fun), and the EOC Raider is lord of area denial (less fun, but very effective). Just my two cents.

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#6 JukeBarzel

JukeBarzel

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationוירג'יניה

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:41 AM

Scout gets insta-killed with one charged volley and an extra Bolt pump from a G2 Raider (305 hp combined one volley).
Not to mention HEAT Scout or Infil haz my luvs, tho.
heh.
:)

Edited by JukeBarzel, September 14 2014 - 08:45 AM.

Posted Image

Make me happy. Just give me something big and nasty, then let me take it out and blow up Stuff with it.

#7 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostJukeBarzel, on September 14 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

Scout gets insta-killed with one charged volley and an extra Bolt pump from a G2 Raider (305 hp combined one volley).
heh.

Yes, but only if you land that alpha strike.  Scouts don't usually stand still long enough for that to happen.

#8 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted September 14 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostBurnsHot, on September 14 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

View PostJukeBarzel, on September 14 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

heh.

Yes, but only if you land that alpha strike.  Scouts don't usually stand still long enough for that to happen.
And if a Scout stands still obviously he doesn't know what he is doing :P

#9 Alpha86

Alpha86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 11:35 AM

Between the two my vote goes for scout. It takes a while to learn to pilot, but man you can feel the speed advantage when corner poking. If you can I would move onto the flak or heat cannon instead of the mini flak. You'll see why as you rank up

#10 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 14 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostCapAllan, on September 14 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Why don't you check out the guides available both on the main site and those offered by the elite players_
Check out SoldierHobbes11's guide as an example : https://community.pl...rk-in-progress/
The love... It's- it's too much... ;~; -cries manly tears of eternal happiness-

Anyways, getting back on topic, since you like getting into people's faces the mechs I can say which would work well for you are the Berserker, Raider, Scout and Vanguard. Also, If you don't mind playing more defensively and can handle a slower moving mech, the Brawler eats people alive at close range. And if you feel REALLY brave, you may eventually consider the G2 Raider, but I only recommend that if you like BOTH the Raider AND the Brawler to begin with. If you don't like both of them then there's a high chance you won't like the Fat Raider so you probably should save your HC for something else at that point. But yeah, take a look at my videos if you'd like to see if they help, but I highly recommend you always test drive a mech before buying it. Reviews and stuff are good, but they will never beat first-hand experience behind the wheel.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#11 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted September 15 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on September 14 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

View PostCapAllan, on September 14 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

The love... It's- it's too much... ;~; -cries manly tears of eternal happiness-
I had refereed to SoldierHobbes11's guide on the Incinerator, Assault and some other mechs. That is why I mentioned that one as it was the first to come up in my mind. You can also find other guides in the links present in the signatures of the elite pilots too.

Summary: Both mechs are good for shootin' and scootin'. If you wanna take a guy down flying around him like a pestering mosquito, take the Scout. But if that's not your style but you still wanna hit and run, take the Raider. I don't have any of these mechs but I know for sure they are good. Scout has the added advantage of getting people mad and irritated cuz' they can't keep up with you!
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users