HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Help me choose my mech

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 S7EVIN90

S7EVIN90

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi guys,

I'd like to have some advices from those who play the game since more time than me.

I began to play a week ago - more or less - and I'm using a Raider and an Assault. And I'm not very good in any of them (a bit better on the raider, which I brought to rank 5).

Now, I have my hard-earned 13k HC, and I thought I was going to buy a mech and using it until I master it, or at least until I get good enough in it. What should I choose_

I like very much to flank enemies, hit&run and peekaboo shots.

I like A LOT to play mind games with my enemies.

I like Sieges and M.A.s.

I think I'm good enough in moving, avoiding to get hit, using covers and escaping, but I'm really, really, REALLY, a f****g useless s**t at aiming, especially when trying to dodge and moving fast in order to avoid taking damage (so maybe splash damage is better for me :P ).

For the positioning I think I need much more time and experience.

The mechs I like the most are:
Incinerator, Grenadier and Predator (and maybe I'd like Infil and Scout, if only I was going to it something with them)

Looking forward to your comments,
S7EVIN

P.S. And I like Hobbes playstyle :ph34r:

#2 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted September 17 2014 - 01:00 PM

Predator sounds like it might be up your alley. However, keep in mind that it's somewhat hard to do well with. If you're willing to take a challenge, go for it.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#3 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 17 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostS7EVIN90, on September 17 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

I began to play a week ago

Raider and an Assault. And I'm not very good in any of them

I think I'm good enough in moving, avoiding to get hit, using covers and escaping, but I'm really, really, REALLY, a f****g useless s**t at aiming, especially when trying to dodge and moving fast in order to avoid taking damage (so maybe splash damage is better for me :P ).

I need much more time and experience.

Incinerator, Grenadier and Predator (and maybe I'd like Infil and Scout, if only I was going to it something with them)

Your comment on the Assault troubles me.  That mech should be your foundation of experience to set you up for all of your other mechs.  Its one of the strongest/versatile mechs in the game and can hold its own against any of the others.  

I suggest you save your HC and stay with the Assault until you get good with this mech.  Until then you are not "good enough in moving, avoiding to get hit, using covers and escaping" as you say/think you are.

If you are dying to spend HC then go with the infiltrator.

I don't think you are ready for the Predator.

#4 FRETICO

FRETICO

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted September 17 2014 - 01:47 PM

i Dont' recommend the predator, it may seem cool but that thing is damm hard to use. Maybe you should try scout or infiltrator (remember light mechs are glass cannons, they hit hard but when they are hit...), but like BurnsHot said i recommend playing abit more with what you have.

#5 S7EVIN90

S7EVIN90

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on September 17 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

View PostS7EVIN90, on September 17 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

I began to play a week ago

Raider and an Assault. And I'm not very good in any of them

I need much more time and experience.

Your comment on the Assault troubles me.  That mech should be your foundation of experience to set you up for all of your other mechs.  Its one of the strongest/versatile mechs in the game and can hold its own against any of the others.  

I suggest you save your HC and stay with the Assault until you get good with this mech.  Until then you are not "good enough in moving, avoiding to get hit, using covers and escaping" as you say/think you are.

If you are dying to spend HC then go with the infiltrator.

I don't think you are ready for the Predator.

Thank you for the advice, I'm going to give me another week before deciding what to buy, anyway, it's not like I'm really bad with the assault, it's just that I think I cannot play it the style I'd like to. But, as you said, it's one of the most versatile classes.

P.S. What about buying the EOC R for the Raider_ Just to get used to it in case I'm going to play Pred. Is it bad on it_

#6 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted September 17 2014 - 03:00 PM

EOC Repeater on Raider is...very different. You get insane burst power, but it's hard to land a direct hit.

Try out the Infil.  But you should really be solidifying your core gameplay with the Assault/CRT.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#7 S7EVIN90

S7EVIN90

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'm just afraid that if I'm going to get used too much to the assault it'd be even more difficult to get used to a class like Pred, since I read that it's a totally different class to play with (and I also saw many videos). Is what I'm saying totally wrong_

Anyway, when will the three "weekly" trial mechs change_ It's 12 days now :huh:

#8 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted September 17 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 17 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Predator sounds like it might be up your alley. However, keep in mind that it's somewhat hard to do well with. If you're willing to take a challenge, go for it.

Did you miss the part where he's useless at aiming_

*cheesy advertising voice*

Are you having trouble killing your enemy_

Is AOE damage more your forte_

Do you fuzzing suck at aiming_

Then the Infiltrator is for you my friend! Learn basic aiming with the assault rifle! Beat your head until its bloody trying to learn the heat cannon! Then equip the EOC Repeater and never look back.

Can't hit the broad side of a barn_ No worries! Your EOC fires a multi-projectile burst, giving you the opportunity to correct your aim in mid shot! And even then, the pucks embed into the floor and walls, a minor annoyance to your enemy that could maybe possibly somehow kill someone blind to the glowing dart thing in front of them! Combined with your trusty grenade launcher and stealth, your alpha strike potential is some of the best in the game!

Amidatelion takes no responsibility for any deaths, loss of MMR or other negative side-effects up to and including ragequits and rageuninstalls incurred in the pursuit of your EOC Infiltrator.

View PostS7EVIN90, on September 17 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

I'm just afraid that if I'm going to get used too much to the assault it'd be even more difficult to get used to a class like Pred, since I read that it's a totally different class to play with (and I also saw many videos). Is what I'm saying totally wrong_

Try a month plus. Dev's are MIA. Don't ask why, don't worry, just play. Nothing to see here citizen.

But in all seriousness, the Predator has a playstyle that will take time getting used to period.  The Assault is probably the best general mech in the game. It will take any situation happily. You can't beat it.

I wouldn't worry about playstyles a week in. Learn the basics, then go ahead and expand.

Edited by Amidatelion, September 17 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#9 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 17 2014 - 03:49 PM

We understand how you feel about getting too used to a mech, but if you buy the Pred now.  You will probably get wrecked so bad you just might quit the game.

I don't want to be a downer.  It sounds like you have your heart set on the Pred.  Its a great mech but requires a lot of skill and time in the cockpit.   Plus its only Hawken Credits, so if you want to scratch that itch go ahead and buy it.  At the end of the day as long as you are having fun just do what feels right for you.

If you do buy the Pred, here is a tip.  If you get into a game were everyone is high skill and you are just not effective in the Pred then switch out to the Assault for the rest of the match.

Playing the Pred with other players of equal or lesser skill lets you get adjusted to the mech without getting that Wrecked depressed feeling.

When your skill improves you will not have to switch out so often.

#10 Alpha86

Alpha86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 03:51 PM

I would avoid the predator right now unless you're willing to dedicate a ton of time learning it.

If you like peekaboo, try the scout. I personally find it a blast to play and the burst damage + speed is ossum.

#11 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on September 17 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Then the Infiltrator is for you my friend! Learn basic aiming with the assault rifle! Beat your head until its bloody trying to learn the heat cannon! Then equip the EOC Repeater and never look back.

Can't hit the broad side of a barn_ No worries! Your EOC fires a multi-projectile burst, giving you the opportunity to correct your aim in mid shot! And even then, the pucks embed into the floor and walls, a minor annoyance to your enemy that could maybe possibly somehow kill someone blind to the glowing dart thing in front of them! Combined with your trusty grenade launcher and stealth, your alpha strike potential is some of the best in the game!

Amidatelion takes no responsibility for any deaths, loss of MMR or other negative side-effects up to and including ragequits and rageuninstalls incurred in the pursuit of your EOC Infiltrator.

Try a month plus. Dev's are MIA. Don't ask why, don't worry, just play. Nothing to see here citizen.

But in all seriousness, the Predator has a playstyle that will take time getting used to period.  The Assault is probably the best general mech in the game. It will take any situation happily. You can't beat it.

I wouldn't worry about playstyles a week in. Learn the basics, then go ahead and expand.

If he sucks at aiming, that means he needs to learn how to. The Predator, so long as he doesn't ragequit it, will force him to. It's super effective. At least, it was for me.

View PostBurnsHot, on September 17 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

We understand how you feel about getting too used to a mech, but if you buy the Pred now.  You will probably get wrecked so bad you just might quit the game.

I don't want to be a downer.  It sounds like you have your heart set on the Pred.  Its a great mech but requires a lot of skill and time in the cockpit.   Plus its only Hawken Credits, so if you want to scratch that itch go ahead and buy it.  At the end of the day as long as you are having fun just do what feels right for you.

If you do buy the Pred, here is a tip.  If you get into a game were everyone is high skill and you are just not effective in the Pred then switch out to the Assault for the rest of the match.

Playing the Pred with other players of equal or lesser skill lets you get adjusted to the mech without getting that Wrecked depressed feeling.

Pred was the second mech I bought, after the Reap. I did very well with it, even when I was new. This is because I didn't teach myself bad habits/lazy play with the CRT/Assault.

Now is the best time for him to pick Pred, so long as he has the basics of mech combat down. This is because he hasn't taught himself the bad habits associated with the overly forgiving front line classes.

New player likes mind games and positioning_ The Pred requires great amounts of both.

New player! If you want Predator (or even general positioning tips), hit me up on Steam. My contact info is on my profile.

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

#12 S7EVIN90

S7EVIN90

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 01:48 AM

View PostAmidatelion, on September 17 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

I'm not searching for what it's easy, I'm searching for what it's funny to play with for me. It's not a problem to wait a week a month or two in order to learn how to play, that's the most fun part, that is to say when you see yourself improving day after day.
Anyway, with aiming I was talking about burst weapons like T-32 or Flak Cannons, especially when in open field and the enemy continuosly dodging, while I'm not that bad in peekabooing with shotgun-like weapons. I'm not that bad either at aiming with the submachine cannon since I can adjust the aim. What I seem to be really better at, is aiming to moving players with non hitscan +/or AOE weapons. To give you an example, I often find myself hitting flying enemies with the Corsair missile, even at great distances or in general using objects and prediciting dodges to profit from the splash damage (while I'm so dumb at aiming the MIRV). And that's why I was interested the most in Inci, Gran and Pred.

Yes, I already had my heart set on it. I needed you to confirm that pred suites the playstyle I described in the opening post. So I think I'm gonna go for it. Don't worry, I'm not going to ragequit or anything like that; luckily I'm not a child anymore and I don't need to win absolutely to go on. I'm used to get beaten to a pulp when I begin to play a new game. I will absolutely go by your tip ;)

View PostAlpha86, on September 17 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

I would avoid the predator right now unless you're willing to dedicate a ton of time learning it.

If you like peekaboo, try the scout. I personally find it a blast to play and the burst damage + speed is ossum.

I put the scout and the infil in the () because I don't think they are as versatile as the other three classes I mentioned above.

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 17 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

If he sucks at aiming, that means he needs to learn how to. The Predator, so long as he doesn't ragequit it, will force him to. It's super effective. At least, it was for me.

Pred was the second mech I bought, after the Reap. I did very well with it, even when I was new. This is because I didn't teach myself bad habits/lazy play with the CRT/Assault.

Now is the best time for him to pick Pred, so long as he has the basics of mech combat down. This is because he hasn't taught himself the bad habits associated with the overly forgiving front line classes.

New player likes mind games and positioning_ The Pred requires great amounts of both.

New player! If you want Predator (or even general positioning tips), hit me up on Steam. My contact info is on my profile.

That's what I wanted to hear! YES-SIR!!!

Looking forward to more comments from you guys :D

P.S. Do EOC P mines explode when a player walks on them, or  do I always have to manually detonate them_

EDIT: sorry for the long post, next time I'm going to avoid to multiquote that much

Edited by S7EVIN90, September 18 2014 - 01:53 AM.

#13 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostS7EVIN90, on September 18 2014 - 01:48 AM, said:

That's what I wanted to hear! YES-SIR!!!

Looking forward to more comments from you guys :D

P.S. Do EOC P mines explode when a player walks on them, or  do I always have to manually detonate them_

EDIT: sorry for the long post, next time I'm going to avoid to multiquote that much

EOC P mines will detonate on their own, so long as an enemy walks right on top of them. EOR R mines can't be manually detonated.

#14 S7EVIN90

S7EVIN90

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 09:31 AM

Good, seems like I'm going to buy my predator tonight. I also wanted to buy some MC to immediately get the EOCR, but in the end, after reading all the posts about the devs and the gloomy situation we're in, I think I'll have to wait that someone of them to tells us wattahell is happening.

I couldn't find your contact info on steam

#15 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostS7EVIN90, on September 18 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Good, seems like I'm going to buy my predator tonight. I also wanted to buy some MC to immediately get the EOCR, but in the end, after reading all the posts about the devs and the gloomy situation we're in, I think I'll have to wait that someone of them to tells us wattahell is happening.

Odd. You should be able to click the Steam badge on my profile page, and it should bring you to my Steam profile.

If that's not working, search for the username Twenty_First_Pilot .

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, September 18 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#16 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 11:11 AM

the game wil be around long enough im sure to get use out of buying just one gun.

There he goes again taking every chance he has to plug his faveriote mech :) jk.  Well im not going to plug my faveriote mech  (mm cough cough the reaper), which you have to learn ot aim cause its hitscan and would teach precise aiming if stuck with it.  And I agree the pred can teach you to aim cause the breacher is hitscan when charged plus 2 second cooldown which is a long time to wait so u cant miss ur shots.  But that being said thats a bit like jumping off the deep end and might be hard for someone that might just not naturally aim very well_  So I would go with something that has the speed you desire but also has the splash damage so u dont need to worry as much so both infil, and scout would work.

Also about your aiming, my suggestion is to slowly lower your sensativity setting in game and on your mouse, not big increments at first just slowly over time so the adjustment to each lvl feels like nothing really but over time you can get the sensitivity down low and your aiming will improve.

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#17 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostSkitzo1d, on September 18 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

the game wil be around long enough im sure to get use out of buying just one gun.

There he goes again taking every chance he has to plug his faveriote mech :) jk.  Well im not going to plug my faveriote mech  (mm cough cough the reaper), which you have to learn ot aim cause its hitscan and would teach precise aiming if stuck with it.  And I agree the pred can teach you to aim cause the breacher is hitscan when charged plus 2 second cooldown which is a long time to wait so u cant miss ur shots.  But that being said thats a bit like jumping off the deep end and might be hard for someone that might just not naturally aim very well_  So I would go with something that has the speed you desire but also has the splash damage so u dont need to worry as much so both infil, and scout would work.

Also about your aiming, my suggestion is to slowly lower your sensativity setting in game and on your mouse, not big increments at first just slowly over time so the adjustment to each lvl feels like nothing really but over time you can get the sensitivity down low and your aiming will improve.

I am the Predator evangelist.

Also, the deep end is great. The water is cool, there are no screeching little kids anywhere in it, and it makes transferring over to the shallow end easy.

#18 S7EVIN90

S7EVIN90

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 12:56 PM

I WANT THE HEAT VISION!!! MUAHAHAHAHAH

I know I'm gonna regret it, but I want to do it anyway. It'll a be a real pain in the ass.

I added you on steam TwentyFirst. What now_ :D :lol: :D

#19 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostS7EVIN90, on September 18 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

I WANT THE HEAT VISION!!! MUAHAHAHAHAH

I know I'm gonna regret it, but I want to do it anyway. It'll a be a real pain in the ass.

I added you on steam TwentyFirst. What now_ :D :lol: :D

Will you be around this Sunday_ I'll be available then.

#20 Alpha86

Alpha86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 04:23 PM

Seems like you had your mind set on the pred all along, just be prepared to do ok with it at first, or really really badly. Especially if your aim sucks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users