HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

scout is the devil, or has he been supplanted_

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: do you hate me for playing scout_ (33 member(s) have cast votes)

in your opinion, which mech is the most powerful in this meta_

1. assault (10 votes [30.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

2. berserker (1 votes [3.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

3. brawler (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. bruiser (0 votes [0.00%])

5. crt recruit (0 votes [0.00%])

6. grenadier (1 votes [3.03%] - View)

7. incinerator (11 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

8. infiltrator (1 votes [3.03%] - View)

9. predator (3 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

10. raider (0 votes [0.00%])

11. reaper (1 votes [3.03%] - View)

12. rocketeer (0 votes [0.00%])

13. scout (5 votes [15.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.15%

14. sharpshooter (0 votes [0.00%])

15. vanguard (0 votes [0.00%])

16. g2 assault (0 votes [0.00%])

17. g2 raider (0 votes [0.00%])

18. technician (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 19 2014 - 08:58 AM

does everyone still think that scout is op and is the devil and anyone who drives one is a satanist_  (i mean, i may be; but it has no bearing on my mech choice...)

i'm of the opinion that the assault fills that role now, followed closely by the clones (van, crt, & zerk) though they still don't seem to get the same amount of hate that follows the scout.  everyone just follows suit and runs automatics to eek out every advantage while denying that they are following the meta...

Edited by phed, September 22 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#2 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted September 19 2014 - 09:01 AM

The Assault is meant to be powerful, and easy to pilot. The problem with it is that it is.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#3 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted September 19 2014 - 09:03 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 19 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

The Assault is meant to be powerful, and easy to pilot. The problem with it is that it is.

i think that was meant to be the crt...  the assault (as i understood it) was just meant to be an extra crt...  though tbh, since ascension i have no idea what the devs intentions are.

#4 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted September 19 2014 - 09:07 AM

View Postphed, on September 19 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

i think that was meant to be the crt...  the assault (as i understood it) was just meant to be an extra crt...  though tbh, since ascension i have no idea what the devs intentions are.

I consider the Assault and the CRT one mech, due to their weapon selections and abilities.

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

#5 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted September 19 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 19 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

View Postphed, on September 19 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

I consider the Assault and the CRT one mech, due to their weapon selections and abilities.

i can see that, they are very close, but i think that the air dynamics and speed give the assault the edge.  since their stats were differentiated i have to consider them as separate animals.

#6 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted September 19 2014 - 09:24 AM

All hail Scout the OP King!!!

Posted Image

#7 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted September 19 2014 - 09:29 AM

Why do none of these polls have a "Fredator" Option_  D: *Despairs*
Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#8 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted September 19 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostPelax, on September 19 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

All hail Scout the OP King!!!

Posted Image

Credit where it's due, that pic was my inspiration, as well as that bag full of hate I've collected

#9 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted September 19 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostMiscellaneous, on September 19 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

I don't get it...  crt-recruit is there (default chassis is fred) and the predator is there...  It's all alphabetical -from memory! Ha!

#10 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted September 19 2014 - 09:52 AM

Different axes are more or less powerful in different situations.

If you put a scout and an assault on a flat plane with no cover the assault should win.  If they are in a tunnel network the scout would win, but be quickly killed by a gren.  If everyone has a tech following them the incinerator is the winner, unless it gets emped six times in a row.

Scout can't carry quite as well as it could before, incin assault and vanguard are all good for that as they are a powerhouse almost anywhere.

Preds are always nice in dm, the wall hack and invisibility allow you to take advantage of situations much more effectively than anyone else, unless people play specifically against you, but that usually gets them killed by an opportunist.

#11 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted September 19 2014 - 10:06 AM

I'd argue a vulcan gren can pull the most weight in the most situations, right now.  If you can get 2 nades on or near a scout, they're toast.  If you can get the incin before he spins up or kite with the nade for a bit, he's gone.  Preds are their own weird problem and your mileage may vary.

#12 Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationJoono Araska

Posted September 19 2014 - 10:46 AM

I voted incinerator because it's bulky, it's fast, and it does too much fuzzy bunny damage. Actually, I'm fine with it's damage but the fact that almost all of it is aoe and that it can inevitably sustain it makes it a team roller. I have witnessed the mere presence of a lone incinerator make an ENTIRE team flee. And what's even worse is they all flee in the same direction in a straight line. Or one guy stands there takes the aoe and shares it with teammates around him trying for dear life to get past.
I don't play incinerator often unless the enemy team has at least two of their own because I got so tired of how broken the darn thing is.

#13 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted September 19 2014 - 11:28 AM

The Assault isn't OP, it's just good - at everything. It will not dominate in any one situation, but it will hold its own in all, no exceptions. The only counterplay is to be better or put it in a position where you have the advantage. So I would say that it is absolutely powerful... but not enough in any one situation to be OP.

The Incincerator isn't OP, but its effect on the team can be. For example, someone mentioned the vanguard as a clone of the Assault. I completely disagree, because it isn't... until you pair it with an Incinerator and then it will fire all goddamn day and not give a fuzz about overheating without the use of an ability and straight up have more HP. And that's just a minor bonus. An incin with a tech is a goddamn nightmare. A good incin and a good tech will win their team the game. A good incin and a good tech that are used to playing together and are communicating are hell on EARTH.

#14 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted September 19 2014 - 11:32 AM

View Postphed, on September 19 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

though they still don't seem to get the same amount of hate that follows the scout.

DA SPEEDS!

Posted Image

#15 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted September 19 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostAmidatelion, on September 19 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

The Assault isn't OP, it's just good - at everything. It will not dominate in any one situation, but it will hold its own in all, no exceptions. The only counterplay is to be better or put it in a position where you have the advantage. So I would say that it is absolutely powerful... but not enough in any one situation to be OP.

You could argue that versatility like that is overpowered.

I lean towards that line of thought.

#16 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted September 19 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 19 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

Well, we are all welcome to our own viewpoints.

I just see versatility and actual deployment of force - OPness - as two different things.

#17 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted September 19 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on September 19 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 19 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

Well, we are all welcome to our own viewpoints.

I just see versatility and actual deployment of force - OPness - as two different things.

Don't get me wrong, they certainly can be.

However, if something's too versatile, wouldn't you also say it's too powerful_ Of course, whether or not the Assault is too versatile is a matter of opinion. I'm just trying to explain where I come from.

#18 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted September 19 2014 - 12:47 PM

Not really, as versatility often leads to a confusion of purpose: there's so much you can do that your options cloud your view of what needs to be done. The inability to see a tree for the forest, if you will.

It also leads to a user confusion between ability and execution... just because you are able to do something doesn't mean you can. Sure, you are able to take that Scout in a straight up match because of good mobility and good HP. But that doesn't mean you can. You start the fight and the scout pulls you into a cornerplay duel and you lose.

Versatility is a plethora of theoretical attributes that you can apply to an objective, whereas the quality of overpoweredness is a practical application of one or more attributes. And even with all its theoretically good attributes, the application of any up to all of them does not lead to a state of overpoweredness in the Assault.

Merl made a good point last night in a discussion: the Assault shouldn't exist with the CRT. He had a different logic behind it, but in my opinion the Assault is only over-powered relative to the CRT and that is more a failing of the CRT. Sure, the CRT is better at a few things and worse in others, but none of the things that it is better at have a practical application. The larger radar range and better fuel tank are things that any experienced pilot in an Assault does not need because they can circumvent them via good teamplay and not goddamn boosting all over the place. And the better overheat recovery is fuzzing pointless on a mech whose ability is putting off overheating. The Assault isn't overpowered, the CRT is underpowered in vis-a-vis the Assault and vice versa. Disclaimer: the CRT is still a perfectly viable and versatile mech, it is only in regards to the Assault that it isn't. In the wider meta they are functionally identical.

Honestly, I think the Assault is the best balanced mech in the game and it is because so many other mechs are imbalanced one way or another and to varying degrees that we think it's over-powered. If the balanced present in the Assault were present in other mechs, we'd have a very different viewpoint on it.

tl;dr: its not over-powered, it's balanced and everything else is imbalanced in some direction or another

Edited by Amidatelion, September 19 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#19 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted September 19 2014 - 01:15 PM

the scout is EVIL!
Posted Image
it's always been wankershim

#20 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted September 20 2014 - 01:57 AM

View Postphed, on September 19 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

View PostMiscellaneous, on September 19 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

I don't get it...  crt-recruit is there (default chassis is fred) and the predator is there...  It's all alphabetical -from memory! Ha!

Look in the spolier in my sig ;)
Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users