HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Sound and Hawken

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted October 15 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostMerl61, on October 15 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostKopra, on October 15 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostMerl61, on October 15 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

View Posthellc9943, on October 15 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

Sony MDR 7506 here but I mostly play with speakers. While headphones certainly help in some situations, there's just too much noise pollution in Hawken which gets on my nerves after a while of playing with headphones on.
That's probably more of an issue with your headphones than with Hawken.

hellc probably means this:

With my headphones I can hear when other mechs turn when it's really quiet. Useful for 1v1s.

You missed the point. :D
There's a constant midrange frequency humming in the background.
Can't you hear it_

#42 Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDoing wizard stuff...

Posted October 15 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostKopra, on October 15 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

Can't you hear it_
I guess I never noticed that before
Posted Image

#43 hellc9943

hellc9943

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 03:36 AM

Can't you hear it_

View PostMerl61, on October 15 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

Can't you hear it_
I guess I never noticed that before
That's probably an issue with your headphones then.
Also, the cockpit beep goes way too low into subbass territory, combined with that constant sine hum and other ambient low sounds it makes it really muddy. Add to that that Hawken's sound quality isn't the best and isn't polished, all this stacks.
It's the immersion of sitting in a 486 DX with SCSI drives.

#44 1uster

1uster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 05:41 AM

Please guys check your audio settings in case it's faulty - which exaggerates the above written "problem". I linked a thread about that on page 1 of this thread...

#45 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 06:29 AM

No, it's not their audio settings.  It's their ears/brain.  Each person is more sensitive to different frequencies than others.  Hawken is, indeed, full of tons of little "ambient" sounds.  I find the constant little whine and the intermittent beeps (presumably to be coming from the computers and equipment inside the mech cockpit) to be quite annoying myself.

#46 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 07:11 AM

I mostly just use my laptops Dolby speakers. But when the try hard pants are coming on (scrims/duels), I use my trusty Steelseries Siberia v2. it's mostly for aesthetic purposes as I like the headsets' bass and meets my stimulate needs. However in duels its a necessity, being able to hear your opponent behind a wall or around the corner gives you the initiative/control in how to start the engagement.

#47 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted October 16 2014 - 08:09 AM

For a long time now

Creative Inspire P5800

5.1,still kicking :P

Man,with Hawken gameplay,with all that kind of weapons sounds,explosions,movement sound etc etc,I just turn the volume up and enjoy all those,especially siege..The sound that battleship is making when being launch and u are beneath it..Ofc hearing enemy cloaked mechs or repairing ones etc etc.Yeah I guess It wouldn't be such  a great game without its sound :D

#48 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted October 16 2014 - 08:20 AM

I find I actually do WORSE if don't play music in the background. There have been plenty of times where I had a really bad game, and then said, "Oh. My music stopped." Turn the tunes back on, and start tearing it up again.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#49 1uster

1uster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostStubbornPuppet, on October 16 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

No, it's not their audio settings.  It's their ears/brain.  Each person is more sensitive to different frequencies than others.  Hawken is, indeed, full of tons of little "ambient" sounds.  I find the constant little whine and the intermittent beeps (presumably to be coming from the computers and equipment inside the mech cockpit) to be quite annoying myself.

Same here but most of the time these little sounds are masked by other things going on in the battlefield. Not sure if your read the thread but the topic is influencing the loudness of these ambient things directly regardless of your hearing - beside the bug that you can hear the mech-cockpit-atmo after match ends.

#50 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted October 16 2014 - 08:39 AM

I've noticed recently that I'm actually missing lots of sounds fairly often, namely the EOCR charge + firing sounds, hit/kill confirmation, GL and Corsair, etc.  This seems to be isolated to hawken as I haven't noticed the issue in other games, anyone else have similar issues_
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#51 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted October 16 2014 - 08:50 AM

View PostThirdEyE, on October 16 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

I've noticed recently that I'm actually missing lots of sounds fairly often, namely the EOCR charge + firing sounds, hit/kill confirmation, GL and Corsair, etc.  This seems to be isolated to hawken as I haven't noticed the issue in other games, anyone else have similar issues_

A lot of people do.

#52 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted October 16 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostDerMax, on October 16 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

A lot of people do.

I think there's a setting in one of the ini files that allows you to increase that sound limit. I think its in HawkenGame.ini and the setting is MaxConcurrentHearSounds

Edited by shosca, October 16 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#53 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted October 16 2014 - 08:52 AM

Kill confirmation sounds sometimes don't play for me, but it will last through an entire game (it sometimes lasts longer than one game, but the point is that it either happens through the entire game or not at all; it isn't a totally random event).  You never realize how much you rely on that cue to know when a fight is over until you realize your opponent has been dead for the past three seconds that you've been shooting at them.  Long-range TOW snipes have no feedback at all if you aren't paying attention to the text :(

As for my headphones, I use the Logitech G330, since over-the-head headsets are super uncomfortable for me.  Every now and then when I'm alone in the apartment and don't have to worry about disturbing my neighbors, I switch to speaker system, but it's mostly for entertainment value.  It's much harder to pick out sounds accurately without the headset.

#54 _incitatus

_incitatus

former senator

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationOXR, AL

Posted October 16 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostFrenotx, on October 16 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

I find I actually do WORSE if don't play music in the background. There have been plenty of times where I had a really bad game, and then said, "Oh. My music stopped." Turn the tunes back on, and start tearing it up again.

Same here, unless I'm on TS or doing 1v1.
Posted Image

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on April 23 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

You are the undisputed champion of camouflages.

#55 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted October 16 2014 - 09:15 AM

View PostFrenotx, on October 16 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

I'm not joking, when I play HAWKEN, I listen to The Undertaker's theme.

Posted Image

#56 LONEDEADWOLF

LONEDEADWOLF

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationHell-Fires Point Of Origin

Posted October 16 2014 - 12:52 PM

Im not sure i have two separate systems hooked to my PC....one is a Sony sound system 7.1 and the other is commercial sound system with hard hitting bass...depends on my time of day.....I have friends get together and sit by the bar and drink and play Hawken to see who dies the funniest or the fastest....lol but i have a set of Skullcandies to use when they want to just dance....And i find great pilots to have a good round with... ;) but i rarely use the sound on the game cause i love my music....
meet death with both eyes open.....and a fist full of hell-fires...Long live the Rocketeer ©>~}~~~

#57 HEROKiller

HEROKiller

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota US

Posted October 22 2014 - 05:59 PM

Byerdynamic mmx300's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users