HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Drawing in more players ... Give all new players a new mech

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Source_Mystic

Source_Mystic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted October 14 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hawken needs to draw some more new players. My idea is when a  new player  comes in  let them test drive any of the mecks for the first week  and find what they like. After they test drive any mech for a specified amount of time they    could choose that as their one free mech. I sugest this for a couple of reasons. I think comming in,  alot of people dislike fred.  The grind to get somthing else is frustrating for new players. The time spent in the test drive  would stop impulse choices and the regret of just picking a mech for its novitly ... predator would be a example .... that is not a mech that a beginner should buy on impulse.  I want the new players to have one mech besides fred that they truly like an enjoy. I have seen alot of players quit too fast because , they are stuck with fred. Personally . I hated that mech when I started still never use it .  Weather you like fred or not is not the question. Would this as a feature bring in some more players and would they be happier if they could get one mech at the beging that they enjoyed to play. I think the answer would be yes. TITLE SHOULD BE Drawing in more players ...give all new players a free mech .... The fourm will not let me change it.

Edited by Source_Mystic, October 15 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#2 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted October 14 2014 - 08:31 PM

Ya, I think it's a smart thing to do.

Posted Image

#3 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted October 14 2014 - 08:32 PM

Dude. the dev's aren't saying anything and Hawken dipped to an all time low of 100 players today{Tues, Oct 14,2014 @ 1600 PDST}. http://steamcharts.com/app/271290#7d

It's over...

They gave up on us.

#4 Fulano2

Fulano2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted October 14 2014 - 09:26 PM

Good sugestion.
Althought I never found the grind for other mechs here this harder. Maybe because I'm used to MMO RPG games, where you take literally years to lift money to buy that weapon or item you want...

#5 JukeBarzel

JukeBarzel

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationוירג'יניה

Posted October 14 2014 - 09:56 PM

make fred look like ANYTHING else besides a 1960s TV.
hell, make it look like a steel battalion upright tank. you don't really have to change fred. it's OP already--all it needs is scoping on that rifle and you got hell coming your way. it's accurate enough now to make Facility a plinking range.

Posted Image

Make me happy. Just give me something big and nasty, then let me take it out and blow up Stuff with it.

#6 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted October 15 2014 - 01:41 AM

Splif no offence mate,but honesty how old are you_Really_Steam charts again as a proof_You cant be sure so I guess you are a troll_!_

I am not against for more rewards to newbies,But its not that hard to grind HC for a new mech,just saying.If someone does at least 3-4 dailies for he HC reward you need couple of days to buy a new mech.

Edited by Odinous, October 15 2014 - 01:44 AM.

#7 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 15 2014 - 02:25 AM

It's been suggested before.

Instead, they gave us a system that gives us free mechs as we play.

Simpler Solution
Remove currency, mech progression

Alternatives for monetization
Pay for aesthetics
Pay for weekly-tournament registrations (token fee for the winnings pot)
Investigate what people would actually pay for (gee idunno... mech license plates_ Fuzzy dice_ Skulls on a spike_ Hood ornaments_  #2012)
Referral bonuses
Better incentives/easy payment systems to break the 'first purchase' threshold

Alternatives for hooking players
Better personal stat tracking: weapon accuracy, mech class performance, game type performance etc. etc.
Better competitive balance
In-game clan functionality
Control over our own damn servers and map rotations
Community map-making involvement

Case studies
1. The DOTA tournament "The International" raised a prize pool four times bigger than the US Open through crowd-funding.

Hawken will never match that, but the point is people pay to see competition.

2. History has proven that Blizzard makes terrible Starcraft maps; ladder seasons with recent, community maps produce better balanced maps.

The take-away here is that devs don't have the mindset to balance maps according to meta, with the months of hard work required getting pro/comp player feedback, and the number of iterations it takes to perfect a map. Also crowd/out-sourcing labor is just smart business sense since 1992.

3. People are MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely to pay after they have made their first transaction. Source: some study I read a long time ago, google it if you care.

In closing, if I can bash out a plan like that in five minutes, the devs can do much better!

TLDR; COMPETITION is proven to make better games. Be it casual competition ala SuperNintendoMarioPartyKartBrothers or pro-viable competition ala Halo 2, Starcraft, Quake, Counterstrike, SSBM. F2P dreams historically destroys games.

Now I don't have a MA Game Development History and Strategy from Ivy University USA, and have never worked in the industry, but anyone can spend 10+ years reading about video games, watching events unfold, and pick up a good idea or two regarding its development.

Edited by ReachH, October 15 2014 - 02:34 AM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#8 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 15 2014 - 02:36 AM

I'm still here mother fuzzers, and I'm still nursing this dead horse.

Development happens.

Posted Image

#9 Arevizz

Arevizz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationYou may call me Aregon.

Posted October 15 2014 - 04:38 AM

View PostOdinous, on October 15 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

Splif no offence mate,but honesty how old are you_Really_Steam charts again as a proof_You cant be sure so I guess you are a troll_!_

Age does not equal maturity, at all. Splif is just raising his voice, saying his opinions and how he sees the problem.

#10 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted October 15 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostArevizz, on October 15 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

View PostOdinous, on October 15 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

Age does not equal maturity, at all. Splif is just raising his voice, saying his opinions and how he sees the problem.

What spliff does is just repeating his idea nonstop, with no change or addition, which is to me, pure annoying.

Posted Image

#11 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted October 15 2014 - 05:05 AM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on October 14 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Dude. the dev's aren't saying anything and Hawken dipped to an all time low of 100 players today{Tues, Oct 14,2014 @ 1600 PDST}. http://steamcharts.com/app/271290#7d

It's over...

They gave up on us.

Saw that dip to 100 players and my heart sunk. The charts show the direction the game is trending in. Ignore them or not--it doesn't change the fact that fewer players are playing month after month (in all time periods). The forums reflect this as well in the number of daily posts.

It is hard to maintain a cheerful and optimistic attitude about Hawken given the current environment.  Don't really care who this annoys.  Emotions don't trump facts.

Edited by caduceus26, October 15 2014 - 05:15 AM.

ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#12 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted October 15 2014 - 05:52 AM

When misleading was called "raising his voice"_And ofc Arevizz,I know,it is not the first time you are backing him up,one tip for you and all who believe this game is on its downfall,get the fuzzy bunny out of here,we don't care.we still play.

#13 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted October 15 2014 - 05:58 AM

It's over...

They gave up on us.

You're great!

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#14 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted October 15 2014 - 06:07 AM

FFS I just cant stand imbecile people,check the threads name before u post your dumb thought and destroy another thread..

Edited by Odinous, October 15 2014 - 06:08 AM.

#15 Arevizz

Arevizz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationYou may call me Aregon.

Posted October 15 2014 - 06:23 AM

View PostOdinous, on October 15 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

When misleading was called "raising his voice"_And ofc Arevizz,I know,it is not the first time you are backing him up,one tip for you and all who believe this game is on its downfall,get the fuzzy bunny out of here,we don't care.we still play.
Who said we don`t like the game_

We still play, (well, not I,) we`re just afraid for the future.

#16 JukeBarzel

JukeBarzel

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationוירג'יניה

Posted October 15 2014 - 06:25 AM

Maybe "someone" will notice these annoying posts, and have the Steam Trolls join the hobo club.
I don't use Steam. Players that don't enjoy functionless background bloatware therefor do not register on Steam charts.
:P

edit: can we return to the OP subject_

Edited by JukeBarzel, October 15 2014 - 06:27 AM.

Posted Image

Make me happy. Just give me something big and nasty, then let me take it out and blow up Stuff with it.

#17 Source_Mystic

Source_Mystic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 06:58 AM

Look people this was a serious post . I said nothing about hawken dieing. I do what I can in game and  here on forms to make constructive post that supports a game I love.  I find no problem getting games on hawken.   The only exception  was  september but that was because everyone went back to school it had nothing to do with health of the game. I see a strong commuinty. All I said was draw in more players by adding some incentives.  I am tired of the hawken is dead bs ... and people trooling and putting words in my mouth.  Hawken is fine but to keep a game healthy in the long run you have to  draw players the more players you have the the more the game makes $$$  the more the game makes  $$$ the more work goes into the game as in updates and development. This is common sence. Side note you have problems finding games add more friends and jump into one of there games or invite them to a party. I literly have hundreds of friennds on my friends list.  Why,  becaues I like being part of hawken comuinty. So please make constructive post and threads. Support the game you love too,  that will keep it around a long time. BE PART OF THE SOULOTION NOT NOT THE PROBLEM.

Edited by Source_Mystic, October 15 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#18 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 15 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostJukeBarzel, on October 15 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

Maybe "someone" will notice these annoying posts, and have the Steam Trolls join the hobo club.
I don't use Steam. Players that don't enjoy functionless background bloatware therefor do not register on Steam charts.
:P

edit: can we return to the OP subject_
There's a way to play HAWKEN without steam_

Please tell me so I can uninstall that garbage until I feel like playing through Half Life 2 again.

Development happens.

Posted Image

#19 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted October 15 2014 - 08:32 PM

I am still here playing and loving the game but the player base is dwindling. By how much is a bit of an opinion based game comment about how other players are interpretating figures not that helpful.
We are all very very frustrated and want the game to succeed but no comment here will change whatever is happening behind the scenes, so we wait and howl at the moon.
A total re lauch with lots of new content is the only way to get the crowds back, we all know it can be done but very expensive and not sure how much money left with the current groups.

#20 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 08:08 AM

It's over...

They gave up on us.

btw the dip to 100 in the chart is at 1800, not 1600 for one.  But 1 day later oct 15, 1400 there were 467 players. Right now its 385.  Its been steady around 350 to 500 for a while now.  Goes down some in certain points when steam decides to capture a moment in time and up in other times.  Still not the player base we would like to see but its starting to wear thin.  Your picking and choosing what facts you want to look at.

Also that dip to 100 is at midnight central standard time, or 1 in the morning on eastern time (which most people play at)  So that change of when those players log off right around that time would be a drop right then if steam captures that moment instead of when it started to rise back when other players started to log back in from other time zones around the world.  Because if you bothered to look even later to redit your post it climbed back to 364 just 1 hour later of that time.

To be more sensational spliff I would suggest you dont post the link to the steam charts cause that link isnt saving the moment in time when you look at the charts.  Ie.. when someoen clicks on that link the first thing they see is the number 385 at this moment when im writing this (will be different later), so they immediately would assume you dont know what your talking about.  So if your trying to troll I would suggest not to put that link.  But I dont think you really are trolling, but just seeing a moment in time and maybe your scarred the game is going under_  If your not and you no longer care about the game then why bother even at all_

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users