HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Drawing in more players ... Give all new players a new mech

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Source_Mystic

Source_Mystic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 08:28 AM

Well said Schizoid

#22 JukeBarzel

JukeBarzel

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationוירג'יניה

Posted October 16 2014 - 02:17 PM

and,
if i knew then what i know now, and had the choice, i would have selected a Vanguard, or even  a reaper.
but fred's Da Bom, and kicks ass when you get the hang of him. i just don't like the ColdWarEra TV thing.
and that, IMHO, is a big fat phallic deflater.

Posted Image

Make me happy. Just give me something big and nasty, then let me take it out and blow up Stuff with it.

#23 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 11:46 PM

The facts:

The game is going under.
The playerbase of active players is shrinking.
There is nothing to retain players.
There is no communication from developers to us.
Steamcharts is the only current official tracable data that is available.

This link is also valuable in seeing Hawken games as they stand: http://hawken.herokuapp.com/

Again, this is not a promising snapshot of this games upward trend.

I'd bet that the current active players are lower than alpha2. That's sad.
I've been around since then and am worried about this game.

The only games available now appear to be in the east.
You might not agree with all this...

But it is what it is.

The only thing that could improve Hawken now is a statement from the dev's that includes substance, content and deadlines for delivery.

Even MWO and WOT puts out messages and notices of sales and content, etc. They have challenges and events all the time.
If the dev's don't make time for their players, the players won't make time for them.
We were promised working VOIP. It's not here...
We were promised twitch streams on the cockpit... Gone.
Maps_ Not in a long, long while...

People don't spend money on games that are tanking.
We want/need a reason to stay or come back. We have none of it.
As our friends move on, we will eventually as well...

I haven't bought a thing since the silence. Have you_
I bet the majority haven't.

If they want us to play/pay they have to interact with us the players. That's the bottom line.
No freebie will salvage this game. Only customer service will save it.
When's the last time we got it_

#24 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted October 17 2014 - 04:01 AM

Y Spliff,we all aware of this problem,and we all are worried about this game,but by pointing everyday about its low playerbase,WILL NOT help us get new players.We all know that the silence is killing this game,but we cant do anything else.We are all w8ing for something official from devs or I don't know who,i am w8ing for 1 November(if the date is correct).

#25 alpha78

alpha78

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationProsk

Posted October 17 2014 - 04:46 AM

This probably isn't a popular opinion but...  

I know this isn't a solid analogy, but there are aspects of it that would hold true to making some money for ADH/MTR.  Look at mobile games like candycrush.  I'll stick with that piece of garbage just to illustrate my point.  The idea is to entrap people and make them want to pay to go further in the game.  Yes, this is not really FTP, but pay to play.  

Here's the problem IMHO, you can't make money on the hopes that someone wants to simply make their mech pretty.  These games have overhead, and cost large sums of money to produce and continue to develop.  You have to charge for the work!  

My suggestion (unpopular I'm sure) is to change to pay to play and charge for mechs.  I'd say do a major update and change the mechs up, add more maps, new weapons etc.  Then lock in the current player base with what they have and charge new players for everything beyond the base (currently fred) plus existing players for new mechs.  So you can muck around w/ a half retarded mech for free and compete in low level matches, but if you want an infil or zerker or [insert new mech here] you have to pay for it.

I just can't agree that there is a future for this game when their income model revolves around people paying for skins.  I've personally dumped a few hundred USD into hawken, but only because I feel the game is worth it and it's a bit of a donation on my part.  I don't think that's the norm (obviously) and I don't think you can be a profitable company on the assumption that people will donate.  

You have to make desirable goods to have people pay for them.  Let people see how cool the other mechs are by letting them compete against them, but make them pay money to use them.

TLDR; Change to pay to play.

#26 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on October 16 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

The facts:

The game is going under.

Proof_ Nothing says its completly going under and noone has proof of such. Yes things dont look good but as already pointed out, you posting on every single thread basically with screenshots of doom and demise of the steam charts is problematic in of itself.  Ie.. Your not helping the situation you say you care about.

I'd bet that the current active players are lower than alpha2.

From what I heard this isnt true at all.  From alpha players that have told me and stuff, which they didnt have anything official number wise to go by, but that player population is higher now at averaging 300 to 500 than has been through all alpha and closed beta, and probably is about the same population that it was right before it went to steam in open beta.  So in essense it goes to steam, gets huge bump then declines back to pre steam levels and your at the same point of where you started at. Still not a good thing and we need communication which hopefully well get soon but who knows for sure, but its not as your painting the picture either.

I dont have any first hand knowledge of them as I only started in march of this year, but what ive heard from long time alpha players it seems so to them, so thats all I have to go by.

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#27 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 02:48 PM

Give new players 1 Berserker, 1 CR-T and 1 Vanguard. All of them come with standard sustain weapons to ease them into the game while being able to play all three classes.

That's right *****es, this thread just went on topic.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#28 Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationJoono Araska

Posted October 17 2014 - 06:17 PM

I'm currently teaching about 10 new players from my dorm. although two are just weekly casual players, they all love it and are well on their way to the 1600's in mmr. A few of them are going around campus saying, "you NEED to play this game," to their other friends. spread the word guys and we can make a difference.

#29 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted October 17 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostSylhiri, on October 17 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

Give new players 1 Berserker, 1 CR-T and 1 Vanguard. All of them come with standard sustain weapons to ease them into the game while being able to play all three classes.

That would be somewhat helpful, assuming the player in question likes sustained mechs. Some don't.

I'd think it would be a better option to give each player several different mechs, to introduce them to different playstyles. Think, a Recruit, a Gren, and a Reaper.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, October 17 2014 - 08:45 PM.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#30 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostOdinous, on October 17 2014 - 04:01 AM, said:

Y Spliff,we all aware of this problem,and we all are worried about this game,but by pointing everyday about its low playerbase,WILL NOT help us get new players.We all know that the silence is killing this game,but we cant do anything else.We are all w8ing for something official from devs or I don't know who,i am w8ing for 1 November(if the date is correct).

What's so significant about November 1_
COD Advanced Warfare_ http://www.game.co.u...eId=10151#NRnov

#31 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 10:38 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on October 17 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

View PostSylhiri, on October 17 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

That would be somewhat helpful, assuming the player in question likes sustained mechs. Some don't.

I'd think it would be a better option to give each player several different mechs, to introduce them to different playstyles. Think, a Recruit, a Gren, and a Reaper.

Sustain weapons are just the easiest weapons to use and that in this point in time are incredibly potent for the skill required. You want new players to get used to how other mechs operate before giving them more complex weapons. I think it would be fair to give the three I suggested for online play so they don't get their *** handed to them, but I do get what your saying. I think all mechs with all weapons unlocked should be available for bot matches. That should give enough experience to carry over to an online environment.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users