HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Graphics Card Dillemma

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted October 15 2014 - 09:19 AM

Hi fellow pilots!I wanted a graphics card but I am confused between the
- ZOTAC NVIDIA GT 640 1 GB DDR5 Graphics Card http://www.flipkart....79-3b356300977c   and the
- Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 GC 1 GB DDR5 Graphics Card http://www.flipkart....79-3b356300977c.

I do mild gaming (NFS, HAWKEN, Robocraft, Airmech, CS, Crysis 2, and so on) and video editing. Will any of these cards enable me to play in Ultra settings (I know that Crysis 2 is out of option on these cards)_

I have a Pentium dual core processor with 4 GB ram on a Digilite DL H61MXEL motherboard. Its pretty basic stuff.

Another thing is, will buying any of these cards bottleneck my PC_
Please help!!

Edited by CapAllan, October 15 2014 - 09:24 AM.

Posted Image

#2 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted October 15 2014 - 09:22 AM

I don't think so. Neither of those cards are meant for gaming. They're meant to give an old computer the option to use multiple monitors.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#3 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 15 2014 - 09:27 AM

if I were you I'd upgrade that 'pentium dual-core processor' before you worry about a new GPU as that old CPU is gonna be your bottleneck. in addition I wouldnt recommend GT-series cards as they are made to be cheaper and have middling performance rather than gaming powerhouse cards. the GTX-series of cards are what you want to be looking at as far as gaming and video editing.
Posted Image

#4 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted October 15 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on October 15 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

I don't think so. Neither of those cards are meant for gaming. They're meant to give an old computer the option to use multiple monitors.

Whaaat___ Ok then. Forget Crysis 2. What about the others_ Can I at least play HAWKEN in medium settings__
Posted Image

#5 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 15 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

if I were you I'd upgrade that 'pentium dual-core processor' before you worry about a new GPU as that old CPU is gonna be your bottleneck. in addition I wouldnt recommend GT-series cards as they are made to be cheaper and have middling performance rather than gaming powerhouse cards. the GTX-series of cards are what you want to be looking at as far as gaming and video editing.

My budget is really limited. So, i can't upgrade anything else. I don't have a graphics card as of now. I play on the motherboard's onboard graphics. Its really sluggish and I go to extreme lengths to play HAWKEN. I just wanted a small upgrade. I can't really go above 40 - 50 $.
Posted Image

#6 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostCapAllan, on October 15 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on October 15 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Whaaat___ Ok then. Forget Crysis 2. What about the others_ Can I at least play HAWKEN in medium settings__

I don't know-- I haven't done much research on these cards. However, I would not count on it. You'd be better off buying a 750 Ti. It'll be about twice as expensive as your options here, but it's a much better card for gaming/video work.

Edit: You say you're using onboard graphics_ The cards you listed aren't very good, but they will be better than your onboard graphics.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, October 15 2014 - 09:36 AM.

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

#7 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted October 15 2014 - 09:42 AM

There are deals for the Gtx 750 all the time that bring the price down to $60-70 that I see. Might be worth to invest in one of those. Keep your eyes peeled.

Set up an alert for Nvidia stuff on slickdeals.com, great website for looking up great sales/deals for the cheap.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#8 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostSilverfire, on October 15 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

There are deals for the Gtx 750 all the time that bring the price down to $60-70 that I see. Might be worth to invest in one of those. Keep your eyes peeled.

Set up an alert for Nvidia stuff on slickdeals.com, great website for looking up great sales/deals for the cheap.

As well, check out AMD cards. At lower performance levels, they're usually a better value.

#9 SamEureka

SamEureka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Locationall your base are belong to us

Posted October 15 2014 - 09:53 AM

If you can scrape together $50-60 more, I would recommend picking up a GTX 760 (2GB) on ebay. I have seen them there for as low as $100. I put one in my daughters desktop and was very surprised by the performance in most games. It can run Hawken at the highest settings. That CPU is suspect though...
Posted Image

#10 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 10:18 AM

Just consider this:  Every dollar you spend on trying to make desperate upgrades to an aging machine is a dollar you could have saved towards a proper solution later.  There is a point where you shouldn't spend any money on trying to upgrade an outdated machine and you should just accept what it is and plan towards a more future-proof purchase.

#11 RozerMahbub_

RozerMahbub_

fishy scout

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationTorino,To-10125 ,italy

Posted October 15 2014 - 11:08 AM

GTX 750 or GTX 760.....or you can choose previous edition like GTX 660 or 570.........

Posted Image

I DON'T CARE

i want to tell you a true story , once upon a time everyone was a perfect pure NOOB ^_^

#12 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostStubbornPuppet, on October 15 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Just consider this:  Every dollar you spend on trying to make desperate upgrades to an aging machine is a dollar you could have saved towards a proper solution later.  There is a point where you shouldn't spend any money on trying to upgrade an outdated machine and you should just accept what it is and plan towards a more future-proof purchase.

This.  I feel bad for ya 'son, I got 99 problems but a graphics card ain't one. (sorry, couldn't resist).
It's like saying, I want to race but all I have is a 1990 Geo Metro, but I have $500 for a new engine!

You got other problems man...  I think you can get a bargain basement machine for like under $500 now anyways.

Life sucks sometimes, I'm sorry man :(

#13 LONEDEADWOLF

LONEDEADWOLF

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationHell-Fires Point Of Origin

Posted October 15 2014 - 02:33 PM

I have to say you need to save a bit of money and hope to catch an old Graphics card for $99 USD on Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.co...82E16814131578R This card can run this game and many others with out flaw but your going to have to upgrade your CPU sooner or later as it will be pushed to the max.....GL friend.

PS sorry but those cards are no good for Hawken as they are just for display purposes only...

Edited by LONEDEADWOLF, October 15 2014 - 02:37 PM.

meet death with both eyes open.....and a fist full of hell-fires...Long live the Rocketeer ©>~}~~~

#14 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted October 15 2014 - 03:21 PM

Another thing to consider is the size of the power supply.

My guess is that is an older budget build machine, and companies are infamous for cutting corners by using a low end power supply that is questionable in quality and sized for just what is in the machine at the time it's built with next to no headroom for expansion.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#15 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 05:02 PM

Scrape together a few more dollars and get a GTX 750 on sale. The interwebs has deals for the GTX 750 all the time, and best of all, it requires no extra power, meaning it draws all its required power from the motherboard so there's no need for a beefier power supply. Best card for those on a budget, especially if you cannot and will not be upgrading the power supply.

Right now you could pick up a R7 250 (AMD card) for $80, definitely better than the cards you have listed in the OP: http://www.tigerdire...ickCP&rrindex=1

Although I would say wait a little bit, get a GTX 750 for about $100 (http://www.amazon.co...eywords=gtx 750) (http://www.newegg.co...7-027-_-Product $100 after $10 rebate), and be set for quite a while. I know certain video editing softwares do take advantage of the CUDA cores all Nvidia cards have, so it may be better to get an Nvidia card, but those GT series aren't meant for gaming at all.

Edited by Silverfire, October 15 2014 - 06:19 PM.

Posted Image

Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#16 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostSilverfire, on October 15 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

The interwebs has deals for the GTX 750 all the time, and best of all, it requires no extra power, meaning it draws all its required power from the motherboard so there's no need for a beefier power supply. Best card for those on a budget, especially if you cannot and will not be upgrading the power supply.

Um... where do you think the motherboard gets it's power from_

#17 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostStubbornPuppet, on October 15 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

View PostSilverfire, on October 15 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

The interwebs has deals for the GTX 750 all the time, and best of all, it requires no extra power, meaning it draws all its required power from the motherboard so there's no need for a beefier power supply. Best card for those on a budget, especially if you cannot and will not be upgrading the power supply.

Um... where do you think the motherboard gets it's power from_

What I meant was that the graphics card requires no additional power cables (like 6 pin power/ 8 pin power) and can run sufficiently off of the power the PCI-E slot provides, which is attached to the motherboard, which is attached to the power supply.

It doesn't have power requirements like this:
Spoiler

The GTX 750 doesn't have additional power requirements:
Spoiler

Notice the lack of a power connector_

But seriously, check www.slickdeals.net there are a ton of great alerts for sales/deals for graphics card. I've seen brand new 760s for $150, 660s for $80, 780s for $280. 256gb SSDs of good brands for $50, lots of good stuff there if you pay attention.

Edited by Silverfire, October 16 2014 - 04:26 AM.

Posted Image

#18 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 08:27 AM

Uhhhh guys, I have only one PCIE 2.0 slot. No 3.0. Sorry for the late reply.  I really can't go over 80$. Its just impossible. Forget highest settings, will buying any of these cards keep my game from crashing_ I play in an advanced potato mode (the one by nepacaka) graphics. The game crashes after each match. (HAWKEN)

Q) Will those cards I gave in the OP at least help me play NFS at highest settings_ Just a wish!! :huh: :rolleyes: :unsure:

Yaay!! 100 posts!!
Posted Image

#19 DreamedArtist

DreamedArtist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted October 16 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostCapAllan, on October 16 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

Uhhhh guys, I have only one PCIE 2.0 slot. No 3.0. Sorry for the late reply.  I really can't go over 80$. Its just impossible. Forget highest settings, will buying any of these cards keep my game from crashing_ I play in an advanced potato mode (the one by nepacaka) graphics. The game crashes after each match. (HAWKEN)

Q) Will those cards I gave in the OP at least help me play NFS at highest settings_ Just a wish!! :huh: :rolleyes: :unsure:

Yaay!! 100 posts!!

FYI pcie 3.0 works on 2.0 and If you want to do any decent gaming suffer more and save enough to get a gtx 650ti 2gb model. if you waste  money on those cards you would be pissed off to see how bad they really are. They are ment for media centre pc's that play music and blu ray movies.and internet stuff.
Practice good sportsmanship, You were a noob once too

Posted Image

#20 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostDreamedArtist, on October 16 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

View PostCapAllan, on October 16 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

Yaay!! 100 posts!!

FYI pcie 3.0 works on 2.0 and If you want to do any decent gaming suffer more and save enough to get a gtx 650ti 2gb model. if you waste  money on those cards you would be pissed off to see how bad they really are. They are ment for media centre pc's that play music and blu ray movies.and internet stuff.

I knew that 3.0 works on 2.0, but won't investing in a 3.0 and then playing on a 2.0 be a bit bad__ I mean not worth the money_ You pay for a 3.0 and then you use it as a 2.0.
Apart from that, the GTX 650ti is just waaaayyyy out of my range. I really can't do anything about it! i can't even save up!! I am getting it as a gift and they have asked me for the model. But asking for such an expensive card is way out of my view. I am really sorry. Thanks though!
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users