HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Graphics Card Dillemma

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted October 16 2014 - 10:02 AM

I did some more research and found this card; Gainward NVIDIA 2GB DDR3 GT610 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card : http://www.flipkart....7d-a5b47add7122

I just hope that this card gives me a good gaming experience. By that I mean very high fps and moderate quality. What do my fellow pilots think__
Posted Image

#22 xeroslash

xeroslash

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostCapAllan, on October 16 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

I knew that 3.0 works on 2.0, but won't investing in a 3.0 and then playing on a 2.0 be a bit bad__ I mean not worth the money_ You pay for a 3.0 and then you use it as a 2.0.
Apart from that, the GTX 650ti is just waaaayyyy out of my range. I really can't do anything about it! i can't even save up!! I am getting it as a gift and they have asked me for the model. But asking for such an expensive card is way out of my view. I am really sorry. Thanks though!

Using a PCI-E 3.0 compatible card on a 2.0 lane is a non-issue, since you won't be finding newer graphic cards with 2.0 any longer anyways. For single-card setups, the bandwidth provided by 2.0 is more than enough, especially for low-powered cards that do not need extra 6pin+ power.

Don't bother with the 650ti - shoot for the 750. The 650ti has a higher power requirement.

You need to save up for a better setup.

View PostCapAllan, on October 16 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

I did some more research and found this card; Gainward NVIDIA 2GB DDR3 GT610 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card : http://www.flipkart....7d-a5b47add7122

I just hope that this card gives me a good gaming experience. By that I mean very high fps and moderate quality. What do my fellow pilots think__

Please, no. Even Intel's integrated HD 4000 graphics outperforms the GT 610.

Edited by xeroslash, October 16 2014 - 10:20 AM.

xeroslash || US East/Central
https://www.youtube.com/user/xeroslash

Posted Image

#23 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted October 16 2014 - 10:48 AM

This is my motherboard : http://smartlink.co....ID=16&PRODID=68
I don't have a card yet. So I feel like I should go for this one!
My mother board does not have HD 4000.
Posted Image

#24 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 10:57 AM

What should I choose from among these _
http://www.flipkart....c2-f2f2bccea22f

http://www.flipkart....dd-3da95796b094

Thats it. I can't take other suggestions due to my small budget.
Posted Image

#25 xeroslash

xeroslash

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 11:01 AM

I'm saying that it's not worth getting a GT 610 when even today's integrated graphics are better.

The GTX 750/750Ti are the best performers you can get with your current limitations. Going lower will help you in the short run, but it'll be a waste of money down the road. A very long time ago, I've been there myself when I had an old Dell with an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (1.9GHz dual-core) and an onboard GeForce 6150SE. Itching for a short term upgrade, I bought a GeForce 8400GS (pretty much equivalent to how you're considering a GT 610). It was simply $40 down the drain.

Others have mentioned this already, but it's best if you're able to save up for a future build altogether.
xeroslash || US East/Central
https://www.youtube.com/user/xeroslash

Posted Image

#26 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted October 16 2014 - 11:58 AM

If you really really really can't get a GTX 750, opt for a GT 640 or 740 (try to avoid the lower GT 6xx 7xx numbers, they're often just as bad as integrated graphics at gaming. Higher numbers are better). But I highly don't recommend it.

Edited by Silverfire, October 16 2014 - 12:02 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#27 LONEDEADWOLF

LONEDEADWOLF

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationHell-Fires Point Of Origin

Posted October 16 2014 - 12:36 PM

View Postxeroslash, on October 16 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

I'm saying that it's not worth getting a GT 610 when even today's integrated graphics are better.

The GTX 750/750Ti are the best performers you can get with your current limitations. Going lower will help you in the short run, but it'll be a waste of money down the road. A very long time ago, I've been there myself when I had an old Dell with an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (1.9GHz dual-core) and an onboard GeForce 6150SE. Itching for a short term upgrade, I bought a GeForce 8400GS (pretty much equivalent to how you're considering a GT 610). It was simply $40 down the drain.

Others have mentioned this already, but it's best if you're able to save up for a future build altogether.

View PostSilverfire, on October 16 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

If you really really really can't get a GTX 750, opt for a GT 640 or 740 (try to avoid the lower GT 6xx 7xx numbers, they're often just as bad as integrated graphics at gaming. Higher numbers are better). But I highly don't recommend it.
Please friend listen to these two guys and many  above as they say the lower number cards are very bad and will only serve to frustrate you further after purchase......Good Luck friend
meet death with both eyes open.....and a fist full of hell-fires...Long live the Rocketeer ©>~}~~~

#28 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted October 16 2014 - 01:03 PM

Get a used GTX 750. I just checked on eBay, and there were quite a few 1 GB models that went for ~$80 in good condition.

Edited by JeffMagnum, October 16 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#29 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 11:09 PM

Thanks people! :) I understand your concerns and I really do accept your recommendations. But the problem here you see is that I am not the person who is buying it! If it was me, I would have saved up for a GTX. Period. But then, asking someone for something that is that expensive is tough! If you catch my drift, you'll understand me! I realize that investing in something cheap is bad. But then I really don't think you all will say the same thing if you see how I play HAWKEN! I can only play one match at a time!! Literally! I am not kidding! After 1 match, it will crash saying that I have run out of virtual memory (excuse the pun)! I play on very low graphics! I don't get to enjoy the beauty of the game! My onboard graphics are way weaker than the cards I suggested. After getting any of these cards, I was thinking of getting a better one (like the GTX)! If I get good grades, i might (MIGHT) even get one! Till then, I really need something to give this rusty computer a boost!

I play in 800X600 res, textures low, details low, physx off and so on. My game has been modded to get good fps. Still, its bad! :angry:

My current specs : https://drive.google...iew_usp=sharing

Here is some of my gameplay : https://drive.google...ekE&usp=sharing

If you look at the video (which is pre-mod), you will see that I have literally no clue about what is happening due to my low fps. The graphics are way lower now due to the mod. I have something like 5 fps more too due to the mod. I shut down everything including windows explorer (I created a .bat file which shuts WE and restarts it after the game crashes.).

i wanted to record some gameplay footage in better quality to upload in my channel. But without a card, that's a distant dream!! :unsure: :blink: :wacko:

Please recommend from the option given in my OP!
Posted Image

#30 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted October 18 2014 - 07:52 AM

If you must, get a GT 740, 730, or 640. Those cards would be your best choice if you must. Anything less would be almost on par with current day integrated graphics.

Edited by Silverfire, October 18 2014 - 07:55 AM.

Posted Image

Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#31 FlamingBeaker

FlamingBeaker

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted October 18 2014 - 02:57 PM

Honestly I would try to buy something used rather than any of the cards listed. Get a 1GB card if you must.

Try looking here for a (loosely accurate) chart of how cards stack up to each other.

http://www.tomshardw...iew,3107-7.html

I started out on Hawken on a Radeon 6770 for a while, try starting there for 'almost decent'.

#32 Browno

Browno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted October 19 2014 - 12:51 AM

Do not buy a graphic card yet!
You have win 7 starter and it can only support 2gb ram and thats it.
You have a 4GB ram stick so it does not work properly with starter. And you said that you ran out of virtual memory, probably because your OS can't use the whole ram you have.

Try to upgrade your OS and see if it stops crashing.
When done with that you might consider a new card.

#33 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted October 19 2014 - 02:10 AM

View PostFlamingBeaker, on October 18 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

Honestly I would try to buy something used rather than any of the cards listed. Get a 1GB card if you must.

Try looking here for a (loosely accurate) chart of how cards stack up to each other.

I started out on Hawken on a Radeon 6770 for a while, try starting there for 'almost decent'.

A 1 GB 750 should be plenty for Hawken at 60+ FPS on respectable settings. OP, the cards you were looking at use DDR3 memory, which is substantially slower than the GDDR5 in newer cards like the ones being recommended.

I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck his ancient CPU is going to be, though.

#34 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 07:56 AM

I think the OP is getting this as a gift and doesn't want to demand too much of the person gifting the card.

GT 640, 730, or 740 for new, sub $100 cards, but you can still get a used GTX 750 for really cheap too.

Posted Image

#35 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 12:36 PM

I found a 730. But i will have to change my PSU. Ok then. thanks a lot people! I saw one of those GTX cards and they are awesome. I will get one in the future!
Posted Image

#36 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostCapAllan, on October 19 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

I found a 730. But i will have to change my PSU. Ok then. thanks a lot people! I saw one of those GTX cards and they are awesome. I will get one in the future!

You shouldn't need to change your PSU when you put in the GT 730...

Posted Image

#37 FlamingBeaker

FlamingBeaker

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostJeffMagnum, on October 19 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

View PostFlamingBeaker, on October 18 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

A 1 GB 750 should be plenty for Hawken at 60+ FPS on respectable settings. OP, the cards you were looking at use DDR3 memory, which is substantially slower than the GDDR5 in newer cards like the ones being recommended.

I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck his ancient CPU is going to be, though.

Same site, different chart:

http://www.tomshardw...ock,3106-5.html

If the original poster's G630 is really about equal to a Q6600, I will personally vouch that stepping up to an i5 is like an order of magnitude better. Even with my Q6600 overclocked to 3.0 ghz, going to an i5-2500 i went from 25-30fps avg to 50-60 fps on the same video card (Radeon 6770). The processor **DEFINITELY** was a bottleneck, more than the video card. I was in denial for a few months, overclocking, upgrading video cards, etc. I'm glad I made the plunge, and what I thought was game lag is now gone.

If the OP can afford even a low-end i3 it is well worth it, and not just for Hawken, either.

#38 Alvizzei

Alvizzei

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted October 20 2014 - 12:44 AM

If your mentioned choice is the only way to get a new card, the go for it. Yes, it will run hawken. probably at medium setting. No it will not run at best nor ultra setting. if its run it's unplayable due to sluggish framerate. IF only you don't mind a used card, then get yourself a Palit GTS 250 1gb. it's still at par with your current  dualcore. Then saved up a bit to get a 3ghz quad core either intel or amd and offcourse a 500w bronze PSU.

Hawken is using a relatively heavy engine (at least for a low budget gamers like me). i'm on Phenom2 quadcore 3ghz, 6gb ram and 1gb GTS250 OCed aaand still cant run Ultra. its running but not to good. so i play it save and keep it at medium for smooth fps.

#39 Browno

Browno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted October 20 2014 - 03:36 AM

Here are the minimum system requirements for HAWKEN:
  • CPU: 2 GHz Dual Core
  • Memory: 3 GB RAM
  • Graphics Card: 512 MB Graphics Card supporting DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0
    • Examples: nVidia 9800 GTX or AMD HD 5670
  • Operating System: Windows XP or later
  • Hard Drive: 5 GB of free space
  • Internet Connection: Broadband
  • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The issue is still the ram. Get win 7 home or newer. Win 7 Starter only support up to 2 GB RAM.
You will probably have less crashes (if any) if you upgrade the operating system, and it will run smoother.
It is the RAM in this case that matters for the game, since it is the RAM that bottlenecks it.

#40 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 10:20 AM

@Browno: Upgrading my Windows will be expensive! Thank you for pointing that out. I do have crashes. But the error report is different all the time. Sometimes its ran out of virtual memory, sometimes its visual c++ has caused this application to shut down in an unusual way..blah blah blah. I heard somewhere that you could increase its RAM allocation.

@Silverfire : My PSU's peak output is 300W. The card needs 300W in itself. So, yes. I have to upgrade.

@Alvizzei : Currently, this is the only way to get a card. I don't have one and I currently play on my onboard graphics.

@FlamingBeaker : Thanks mate! I am not really sure about getting a used card (especially online) as i don't really know what condition it is in. Plus, the people who are getting me the card don't like the entire idea of "Second-Hand". But yeah. I get your point.

I think I've made my choice. I need to find the perfect PSU now. I have a 450W one in mind. Any cheap suggestions_ It has to fit in my cabinet.
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users