HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

TOXiKK movement vid (oct 20)

Video Website

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted October 17 2014 - 06:27 PM

Can't wait for this game, the movement imo is the biggest variable! The hype is real.

http://forum.toxikk....c.php_f=2&t=663

If you're planning on playing this game you should join this group!

Edited by LoC_TR, October 23 2014 - 12:27 PM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#2 DoctorStein

DoctorStein

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationThe Year 20XX

Posted October 17 2014 - 07:07 PM

Hmm, maybe once I get some space on my current games list I`ll play, looks super cool =3
"An apple a day can keep anyone away if you throw it hard enough" ~Doctor Stein

I <3 Cat Faces: =3 X3 ;3 :3 >=3

#3 Sorroritas

Sorroritas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dimmamar

Posted October 17 2014 - 07:46 PM

Ah!
Brings back memories from ut.
Looks cool.
I am the Hammer, I am the point of His spear, I am the mail about His fist.
I am the bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous.
I am the end.

#4 Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 08:01 PM

Like I said before I'm only really excited for toxikk on principle rather than gameplay. The fact that it's  promising to be a full priced title that you buy and have full access to the game and all of it's content, community run servers, no terrible progression or hiding content behind pointless barriers. Basically the way FPS should/used to be (especially arena fps), but haven't been for a while.

But in terms of game play UT has always been on the low end of arena shooters for me, and that's more or less what this looks like it's shaping up to be.

Personally I'm excited for Reflex, because it's looking mostly like CPMA, and it doesn't get much better than that.

Also, I'm a very opinionated and angry gamer, sorry.

#5 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted October 17 2014 - 10:08 PM

it looked cheap and cut'n'paste last year, and even the teaser video is still the same one. bad graphics, cheap illustration.
Nope. All hype and no meat.
Not my money.

hell, i wouldn't even load this up F2P

Edited by EM1O, October 17 2014 - 10:09 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#6 Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 10:50 PM

View PostEM1O, on October 17 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

it looked cheap and cut'n'paste last year, and even the teaser video is still the same one. bad graphics, cheap illustration.
Not my money.

Really_ I think that's a little harsh. Despite it's stale slow looking gameplay I thought it was actually pretty visually pleasing. The environments look really nice.

#7 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 18 2014 - 06:29 AM

I've been hyped for the movement video all week!

Posted Image

#8 xeroslash

xeroslash

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted October 23 2014 - 10:22 AM

UT2k4-inspired movement with rocket jumping. It's a bit clunky, but it's better than what I expected.

I'll see if they plan on implementing any sort of dodge modifier key.
xeroslash || US East/Central
https://www.youtube.com/user/xeroslash

Posted Image

#9 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted October 23 2014 - 12:26 PM

Yes finally.

Edited by LoC_TR, October 23 2014 - 12:27 PM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#10 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted October 24 2014 - 06:40 AM

#11 Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted October 25 2014 - 04:51 PM

View Postdorobo, on October 24 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

Yes, strafe jumping with a high degree of air control, (along with stuff like trimping/ramp jumping) is the best there is in arena shooters. Though it's worth noting, this isn't quakelives default physics, and last I checked it was hard pressed to find anyone running the pql rule set or even parts of it.

#12 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 27 2014 - 04:08 PM

View Postxeroslash, on October 23 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

UT2k4-inspired movement with rocket jumping. It's a bit clunky, but it's better than what I expected.

Nah man it has its own elegance, but then again its that kind of broken beat that makes for fun targets. I have never been a fan of high linear speed over quick changes in velocity. Even if the movement does feel "smooth" its that smoothness that makes targets easier to hit and less fun for me to shoot at. As always this is my opinion on the subject, but personally I am very glad they chose this kind of movement model as its more fun for me.

Posted Image

#13 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 27 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostMassive_Assailant_Stingray, on October 17 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

View PostEM1O, on October 17 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

Not my money.

Really_ I think that's a little harsh. Despite it's stale slow looking gameplay I thought it was actually pretty visually pleasing. The environments look really nice.

i was really enjoying this until one moment... vehicles... sigh... the bane to real fps play. They have always been so poorly adopted to FPS games that I shudder to think how it will turn out. To date only one game has got it right in my mind and that was titanfall. Simply because you could murder someone in a titan as a player if you were smart. I don't see that happening in this game as much sadly.

#14 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 27 2014 - 09:36 PM

View PostAkrium, on October 27 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

i was really enjoying this until one moment... vehicles... sigh... the bane to real fps play. They have always been so poorly adopted to FPS games that I shudder to think how it will turn out. To date only one game has got it right in my mind and that was titanfall. Simply because you could murder someone in a titan as a player if you were smart. I don't see that happening in this game as much sadly.

The vehicles are only on certain maps and game modes. So presumably a player could play Toxikk for the entire life of the game and never even get into a vehicle let alone get shot at by one.

Edited by Leonhardt, October 27 2014 - 09:37 PM.

Posted Image

#15 LarryLaffer

LarryLaffer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationRussia, Chelyabinsk (GMT +5)

Posted October 28 2014 - 01:53 AM

View Postxeroslash, on October 23 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

I'll see if they plan on implementing any sort of dodge modifier key.
That would be really nice option. I don't really like all that button mashing with dodges, especially in UT2k4 with its dodge-jump system. The dodge modifier key in Hawken was a really good idea.

View PostLeonhardt, on October 27 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

View PostAkrium, on October 27 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

The vehicles are only on certain maps and game modes. So presumably a player could play Toxikk for the entire life of the game and never even get into a vehicle let alone get shot at by one.
I agree with Leonhardt here. The vehicles were a good and fun gameplay addition in UT series, so they won't make Toxikk worse for sure.
WolfyFTW's Mindgamer: Hawken videos - the best combat tutorial ever!
Throw away Air Compressor! Be a man!.

#16 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 28 2014 - 04:41 AM

View PostLarryLaffer, on October 28 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

I agree with Leonhardt here. The vehicles were a good and fun gameplay addition in UT series, so they won't make Toxikk worse for sure.

To each their own on that.. I found them to be a horrible introduction to great arena play. Bigger maps just means the action is spread out over a bigger area and is less fast paced. Toss on balancing problems that has always plagued arena games with vehicles. I don't need them around.

#17 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 28 2014 - 05:23 AM

View PostAkrium, on October 28 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

View PostLarryLaffer, on October 28 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

To each their own on that.. I found them to be a horrible introduction to great arena play. Bigger maps just means the action is spread out over a bigger area and is less fast paced. Toss on balancing problems that has always plagued arena games with vehicles. I don't need them around.

I have never been a big fan of vehicles in arena shooters either, but there are a lot of people out there who love(d) those game modes and maps in UT2k4 so I can understand why they are there. As far as I am concerned as long as I am not forced to play it and its a separate area then its all good.

Posted Image

#18 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted October 28 2014 - 06:26 AM

Not F2P, cannot try for myself, don't really see anything fresh in this, fuzzy bunny hype, not my interest, bye.

Posted Image
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#19 xeroslash

xeroslash

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted October 28 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostLeonhardt, on October 27 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

Nah man it has its own elegance, but then again its that kind of broken beat that makes for fun targets. I have never been a fan of high linear speed over quick changes in velocity. Even if the movement does feel "smooth" its that smoothness that makes targets easier to hit and less fun for me to shoot at. As always this is my opinion on the subject, but personally I am very glad they chose this kind of movement model as its more fun for me.

Hey, I totally understand. But after seeing the Toxikk movement video, I would say that compared to UT2K4 (in which 99% of the movement was ripped from), UT2K4 still seems to be the more responsive game in terms of movement... I just can't put a finger on why.

Also, in terms of games with UT-inspired movement, I found Nex to be more appealing, since they bring new things to the table that works well with the existing mechanics:

Spoiler

xeroslash || US East/Central
https://www.youtube.com/user/xeroslash

Posted Image

#20 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 28 2014 - 09:33 AM

View Postxeroslash, on October 28 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

View PostLeonhardt, on October 27 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

Hey, I totally understand. But after seeing the Toxikk movement video, I would say that compared to UT2K4 (in which 99% of the movement was ripped from), UT2K4 still seems to be the more responsive game in terms of movement... I just can't put a finger on why.

Also, in terms of games with UT-inspired movement, I found Nex to be more appealing, since they bring new things to the table that works well with the existing mechanics:

Spoiler

Yeah I have been following nex for a month or so and it is shaping up to be very interesting. Since Toxikk is only $15 I am not too concerned making an investment on it especially since it is gonna be out before all the others so at the very least it gives me something to play. As far as responsiveness is concerned I can't say for sure until I get my hands on the game and give it a whirl.

My only problem with nex and Toxikk is that I think they will be eclipsed by UT4 and/or Project Bluestreak (Cliffy B's F2P project) which in all honesty would be a shame since nex looks so fresh and Toxikk is an Indie studios breakout game.

Edited by Leonhardt, October 28 2014 - 11:37 AM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Video, Website

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users