HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

TOXiKK movement vid (oct 20)

Video Website

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted October 28 2014 - 08:06 PM

View Postxeroslash, on October 28 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

Hey, I totally understand. But after seeing the Toxikk movement video, I would say that compared to UT2K4 (in which 99% of the movement was ripped from), UT2K4 still seems to be the more responsive game in terms of movement... I just can't put a finger on why.

Also, in terms of games with UT-inspired movement, I found Nex to be more appealing, since they bring new things to the table that works well with the existing mechanics:

Spoiler

Wow, that movement looks so smooth.  This is amazing.  What are the differences between Toxikk and Nex_

#22 LarryLaffer

LarryLaffer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationRussia, Chelyabinsk (GMT +5)

Posted October 29 2014 - 02:43 AM

View PostLeonhardt, on October 28 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

My only problem with nex and Toxikk is that I think they will be eclipsed by UT4 and/or Project Bluestreak (Cliffy B's F2P project) which in all honesty would be a shame since nex looks so fresh and Toxikk is an Indie studios breakout game.
Well, we will see, then this games will be released. I think no one could predict that Quake 3 would be such successful game even now (if form of Quake Live of course) and surpass even UT game series. Of course I understand that Quake was released earlier than UT, but both of these games are really good and I like both of them almost equally. Something just went wrong...

Nex indeed looks fresh. Its movement system is something I wanted to see in UT games, something smooth and speedy. Maybe we'll see some of it in new upcoming UT, who knows...

About Toxikk, I think that developers took really tough road. They took a lot of things from UT2k4, and it doesn't really matter that there is a completely new set of weapons. People will keep to compare Toxikk with UT.

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on October 28 2014 - 08:06 PM, said:

Wow, that movement looks so smooth.  This is amazing.
Indeed it looks much more smooth than in UT series. I like it too and it looks like I have another arena FPS to follow.

Edited by LarryLaffer, October 29 2014 - 02:47 AM.

WolfyFTW's Mindgamer: Hawken videos - the best combat tutorial ever!
Throw away Air Compressor! Be a man!.

#23 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 29 2014 - 04:36 AM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on October 28 2014 - 08:06 PM, said:

Wow, that movement looks so smooth.  This is amazing.  What are the differences between Toxikk and Nex_

The major gameplay differences have to do with the core movement systems (which effects map design heavily) and weapons design. Nex is built with the Unity engine while Toxikk is built with UE3. They also have some major design philosophy differences as Nex is more of a fresh new take on the Arena Shooter and Toxikk is a game meant to stay more traditional to the "glory days" such as UT2k4.

Its much too early to tell what will happen when all of these games come out, but 3 of the 4 are going to be free and 1 of those 3 (UT4) is going to be completely free with no grinding. UT and Cliffy B already have a huge fan base so injecting them right into their "free" game should be easy not to mention they have the name brand advantage over both Nex and Toxikk.

There is also Reflex, which is perhaps the Quake version of Toxikk in a lot of ways as it is more traditional and meant to harken back to the glory days of Quake.

Regardless of where anyone stands on a personal level its easy to see that there are a lot of Arena Shooters coming out and the most successful will be whichever can steal the most market share from the modern military shooters while also retaining long time fans. When it comes to stealing market from CoD, BF, and such Cliffy B takes the cake with past titles such as Gears of War. When it comes to retaining long time fans Epic merely whispers the very thought of UT and hundreds of thousands of people flock to them like a fat kid on a cupcake. The question is which one can out do the other at what they are not particularly good at.

Edited by Leonhardt, October 29 2014 - 04:37 AM.

Posted Image

#24 LarryLaffer

LarryLaffer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationRussia, Chelyabinsk (GMT +5)

Posted October 29 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hey guys, this is a little bit off-topic and maybe I'm kinda slowpoke, but I've downloaded new UT pre-alpha build today, and there is a link in UE4 Launcher to their movement system video. Here it is:

I tried it a little bit and think that it's very interesting. It feels like good old UT99 in general, but with some nice additions, especially with single tap dodge button, which leads to more smooth movements.
WolfyFTW's Mindgamer: Hawken videos - the best combat tutorial ever!
Throw away Air Compressor! Be a man!.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Video, Website

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users