HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Is Taunting Effective_

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted October 26 2014 - 06:47 PM

You're dueling (enter pilot name), and you are both close in skill, mmr, moves, jive... whatever.

He wins, by a hair.

He then proceeds to press the J key while standing over your smoldering chassis.

Maybe even drop a halo to rub-in the rubbing-in.

Has this happened to you_
Do you make a point of getting revenge_

I have noticed that it makes some players angry enough to effect their skill.
They start making mistakes.
They have to get revenge no matter the cost sometimes.
You taunt them again and they make more mistakes.

What have you noticed_

Edited by cornshuckerprime, October 26 2014 - 07:54 PM.

it's always been wankershim

#2 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted October 26 2014 - 06:58 PM

This thread sucks, mine are definitely better. :^)

No but really I only taunt ppl I like. Rarely do I taunt out of spite or to rub it in, when I do I tend to have a good reason such as- you should have had me, you fuzzy bunny up.

Edit: does it work_ I guess that would depend on the person.

Edited by LoC_TR, October 26 2014 - 07:02 PM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#3 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted October 26 2014 - 07:09 PM

lol, I also taunt friends. When they are on voice chat its even better.

I believe taunts have a strategic value though.

I used them on a very vocal player who didn't care for my collection of EMPs.
With each taunt he/she not only made more mistakes and were easier and easier to kill. They were also making more and more typos in the chat.

Not that what they had to say was worth reading.

Edit: I have also had players rage quit.

Edited by cornshuckerprime, October 26 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#4 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted October 26 2014 - 07:21 PM

Some players hackcuse, some taunt preemptively.  I just kill them.  Occasionally, I rub it in at the end.
Posted Image

#5 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted October 26 2014 - 07:23 PM

before the 'taunt' sales promo, it used to be infuriating when someone not only snuffed you, but when they knew you were watching on deathcam, they trotted over to your charred hull and jumped up and down a couple times in it.
that was The Taunt.
stuff now is just a bling sales gimmick.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#6 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted October 26 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostEM1O, on October 26 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

before the 'taunt' sales promo, it used to be infuriating when someone not only snuffed you, but when they knew you were watching on deathcam, they trotted over to your charred hull and jumped up and down a couple times in it.
that was The Taunt.
stuff now is just a bling sales gimmick.

Before my time old timer! Does stuff cost more than it used to_ Have you seen that price of gas_

JK

Edited by cornshuckerprime, October 26 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#7 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted October 26 2014 - 07:28 PM

actually, if you did the math, loading up and customizing your mech is now a lot less expensive. 'course, the grind is still a matter of Suck depending on where you're sitting, between noob and jaded ol' fuzzy bunny

effluence is now a fuzzy bunny word_

i'll bet it's a fb word to get fuzzy bunny faced or pissed, depending on which end of the ball youre hanging from

fastfreddy edit_
here's how old i am: halfway thru my navy career, i came home for a while, and grabbed one of my dad's cars and filled the tank. i told the old man it was amazing (1977_) that gas was 36 cents a gallon. he started snarling and spitting about prices. i said "Dad, I meant it was a good thing. It was $1.63 a gallon last week, when I left Guam."
Count your blessings.

Edited by EM1O, October 26 2014 - 07:39 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#8 Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDoing wizard stuff...

Posted October 26 2014 - 07:29 PM

I will taunt and target players that I know will rage. Gives my team an extra advantage when they do.
Posted Image

#9 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted October 26 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostMerl61, on October 26 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

I will taunt and target players that I know will rage. Gives my team an extra advantage when they do.
and while they're busy typing/talking, they're not playing--or at least not paying close attention :D

Posted Image

#10 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 26 2014 - 07:58 PM

the taunts would be effective if they were any good, the sumo slam is the only one worth using
Posted Image

#11 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted October 26 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 26 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

the taunts would be effective if they were any good, the sumo slam is the only one worth using

That's one of my faves but it's soooooo sloooow and leaves you open to attack.

I also like the monocle salute.

Edited by cornshuckerprime, October 26 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#12 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted October 26 2014 - 08:07 PM

People taunt me quite often, I don't think it has any effect :-D

And I taunt very rarely, holo taunts cost HC - I never have enough HC - and normal taunts are too dangerous to be used in combat.
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#13 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted October 26 2014 - 08:09 PM

I've got the shotgun taunt on my Rocketeer and Grenadier. It just rocks. :D

#14 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted October 26 2014 - 08:15 PM

I sometimes taunt. Usually, I do so after killing an enemy who did something especially stupid during a fight, such as not pushing to kill me while I'm out of cloak. I also taunt after I fuzzy bunny up a front line with a successful flank.

Pretty much, I taunt as a way to say 'That was gloriously stupid, and I can't believe you let me do that'.

Edit: For the record, when I say 'taunt' I mean 'mech emote'. I'm too cheap to use holo taunts.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, October 26 2014 - 08:20 PM.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#15 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted October 26 2014 - 08:40 PM

I do not partake, but I'm a person, and am open to playing worse when I am doing worse. Generally speaking the people better than me don't taunt to rub it in and are good people. This is a fact that I am continually appreciative of. I wouldn't have picked up this game to the point that I'm at now nearly as fast if LoC was a jackass who was rude whenever he dominated me or hestoned wasn't just perpetually willing to 1v1 for like an hour, and comment on things that could use improvement.

There certainly was a point before I met magical pancake and archmech, the first people to introduce me to higher tier play, where the line of "players above this point are actually nice people" was above my head, and I think it definitely did have an effect. In public games, I still pursue players who happen to dominate me, but luckily I'm at the point skill-wise where if I focus on someone, I can take them down without throwing anything away- but the urge has always been there throughout my progression in the game, and I would say that it certainly has an effect on most people.

I think taunts are effective in the right environments, but utilizing them to demoralize a player is cheap. You're not outplaying them or being a better player, you're just temporarily taking away their skill- though part of being a good player in any game is maintaining a level head under pressure.

I clearly have some mixed feelings on the subject.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, October 27 2014 - 03:23 AM.

Posted Image

#16 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted October 26 2014 - 09:32 PM

Depends on the person.
Some people like to taunt, some don't. Some people take offense, some get slightly annoyed, some laugh, some don't care at all.

Personally, I don't usually taunt unless it's a fun match with friends and I do it maybe once or twice at most. If I do it any other time, it's probably because I hit the button on accident.

Posted Image

#17 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted October 26 2014 - 09:34 PM

i'll tell you what:
you Splode someone, and while the DeathCam is on you and their burning corpse you run over and jump up and down like a spazdic idiot on their flaming remains, and i GUARANTEE you will get some sort of reaction.... :D

Forget the fancy hoppy/slammy/salutey taunts.....

Edited by EM1O, October 26 2014 - 09:35 PM.

Posted Image

#18 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted October 26 2014 - 09:53 PM

I think it's funny when I kill 3 of their teammates and they swoop in and kill me when I have 5 health, over heated guns, outta fuel and proceed to taunt.  Good work buddy!
Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

#19 MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted October 26 2014 - 10:19 PM

Well, well, well : chat can do way more than the taunt anim', and I don't even take into account that my (and many _) death cam are first personn so that you don't clearly see the taunt.

Edited by MomOw, October 26 2014 - 10:20 PM.

Posted Image

#20 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted October 27 2014 - 03:40 AM

View Postticklemyiguana, on October 26 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

I think taunts are effective in the right environments, but utilizing them to demoralize a player is cheap. You're not outplaying them or being a better player, you're just temporarily taking away their skill- though part of being a good player in any game is maintaining a level head under pressure.

I clearly have some mixed feelings on the subject.

I totally agree!

Say there is a verbally(chat) abusive, troll-like player in a match. I will do my best to stomp them. But instead of wasting my time typing, that J key conveys my feeling toward the troll faster and easier.

I would never use it to demoralize a new player still learning the ropes.

I save that honor for the players lastnight (three star 2100mmr tdm) who labeled me a aimbot and made none too kind comments about my character. (Was in my G2 Assault)

Edited by cornshuckerprime, October 27 2014 - 03:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users