HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Someone explain the EMP to me

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Hellkite

Hellkite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:49 AM

As someone who cut my teeth on a little bit of alpha, I am incredibly frustrated that someone can point at me and turn my entire mech off for 5+ seconds. Can someone explain to me how this is counterable, or why it exists if it's such an I-Win button_ Is there some kind of balancing cost I can't see on my end, or am I just going to die to whoever picks this up every time the entire beta_

#2 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:51 AM

It's a point-and-fire explodes-on-contact fast projectile that can affect anyone in the radius.

Apparently you're supposed to just run away and heavily utilize cover no matter what the circumstances are

I've complained extensively about it too
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#3 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:52 AM

It's hard to dodge but it is possible to dodge it. You know you can use EMPs too, right_ The projectile also doesn't seem to be affected by gravity from my experience.
Posted Image

#4 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 27 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

It's hard to dodge but it is possible to dodge it. You know you can use EMPs too, right_ The projectile also doesn't seem to be affected by gravity from my experience.
Which is why you shoot it at the ground somewhere in the same galaxy as the person you're trying to hit
The only time I don't fire at the ground with the EMP is when I bugger up my aim because I'm used to greater responsiveness in my FPS games
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#5 Hellkite

Hellkite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:54 AM

This seems like it makes every close quarters fight devolve into "oh, we popped around the corner and saw each other, who hits the 'immediate victory' button first_" situation. I also don't buy the everyone in radius argument - If it affected them, I'd be pleased, but as is it just means you can come in and interrupt a duel and get two free kills with zero risk.

#6 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostHellkite, on October 27 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

This seems like it makes every close quarters fight devolve into "oh, we popped around the corner and saw each other, who hits the 'immediate victory' button first_" situation. I also don't buy the everyone in radius argument - If it affected them, I'd be pleased, but as is it just means you can come in and interrupt a duel and get two free kills with zero risk.
Whether or not it provides a suitable drawback, it DOES in fact hit everyone in the radius, be they friend or foe
You can actually ignore this if you're just using EMP to escape of course, because you don't really need weapons to run away as fast as you can
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#7 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:58 AM

Personally I haven't experienced that much EMP use, I'm often the person employing it the most on my team. EMPs do affect everyone inside the radius, I once accidentally triggered my EMP at point blank against a B-class, both of us and a teammate that were in the radius were all stunned.
Posted Image

#8 Hellkite

Hellkite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well, I can't join servers, just matchmaker for some reason, and it has put me in 3 games of FFA in a row where I got destroyed by someone with an EMP. I don't see the team drawback being much trouble there.

#9 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 27 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 27 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Personally I haven't experienced that much EMP use,
Everyone's new. It'll happen eventually once they realize what it is and how easily it can be utilized
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#10 Ninjaman999

Ninjaman999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 11:08 AM

Am I in he minority for people who like the emp_
Especially when its used against me cause when they land it, it's a thrill to get away, then finish the basterd after systems go back online.
Like seriously, getting hit with an emp is just another awesome bone thrown in the mix and makes for unpredictable fights. I LOVE IT:3

#11 Yourgrandma

Yourgrandma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 11:11 AM

If you let your self get hit with a emp you generally deserve it. Haven't had much trouble with emp, most of the time i end up getting caught in the blast as well making us both useless. Usually looks something like this :P

#12 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 27 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostNinjaman999, on October 27 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Am I in he minority for people who like the emp_
Especially when its used against me cause when they land it, it's a thrill to get away, then finish the basterd after systems go back online.
Like seriously, getting hit with an emp is just another awesome bone thrown in the mix and makes for unpredictable fights. I LOVE IT:3
Except that only works if you're faster and have more cover, and if the enemy isn't very good (or if the enemy is terrible but you understand what dodging is)
What about a fight between skilled players, where one player can ambush and use that 5 seconds to kill/maim one or more skilled members of the other team with no risk_
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#13 Finicky

Finicky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 01:29 PM

It only lasts for a few seconds... dodge into cover_
If you get caught pants down in the open and the other guy hits you with it you deserve to get wrecked.

#14 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 27 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostFinicky, on October 27 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

If you get caught pants down in the open and the other guy hits you with it you deserve to get wrecked.
Why_
"The open" comprises most of the maps, and between cloaking and radar jamming and just not boosting around you can't always tell where people are
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#15 BeefSoupreme

BeefSoupreme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 02:02 PM

EMP is the reason why I try to reserve my jets for either active combat or escaping. I see a lot of people use their jets to get a fight, hit with an EMP, then are stuck in the water because they wasted all of their fuel egtting there. EMP use encourages movement and escape tactics. I approve of it.

#16 link0

link0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 03:14 PM

I use it as a free I-Win button in duels, but I don't really like it.  You only get 1, so if you fight against someone of around your own skill, you lose if they still have their EMP but you've used yours.

#17 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted October 27 2012 - 08:18 PM

I think there is no problems with the EMP IMHO.

During the alpha (Not breaching NDA, only said I was in it) I used the EMP and was EMP myself during game-play.

When I was using it I more often than not ended up panicking and EMP'ing myself or EMP'ing someone then chasing them down to finish the kill which usually ended up with me being surrounded by 3 enemy's.
I did not think it was overpowered as it does take some skill to accurately hit someone, it doesn't really shut you down for too long and you can still boost away sometimes safely.

I never felt like it was unfair either when someone got an EMP on me and killed me. It just makes for a more interesting battlefield environment where you need to keep yours eyes open from any type of attacks
Posted Image

#18 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 08:33 PM

I like the EMP.  I never use it but it really does encourage more tactical use of the boosters. If you get hit with an EMP you should be using every bit of ful you have to get to cover.  If he is chasing you he can't shoot you while boosting so he can either A. get a few cheap shots in before you get to cover, or B. take chase to keep up with you only to turn into a fair fight when you come back online.  The EMP is a trump card and is is designed to give you an edge in a fight.  Plus you only get one single EMP per life.  If you can only get kills by using the EMP then your going to be left with a terribad K/D of 1.0.
Posted Image

#19 Rotaken

Rotaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationMilk cartoon

Posted October 27 2012 - 08:50 PM

It's of course counterable by dodging, it cannot be used farther than midrange (if you get sniped by it you are dead anyway) and it's useless as offensive Ccube due to effect on allies/yourself. It's way for inexperienced pilots to take out experienced pilots and escape battles. It's not OP or UP in my opinion.
Though I can understand your frustration as I remember the frustration back in Alpha when I got hit by it and died seconds later.

#20 MojoNixon

MojoNixon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 09:00 PM

The straight going reasonably fast speed of the item makes it pretty easy to use, but I am still in favor of its inclusion.  You can mitigate damage and utilize field of view blockers even in close engagments- your never too far from cover if you reserved enough fuel.  And with the exception of A classes and people who cant dodge or manuver a damn- still a challenge to take someone compeletly down when they are inactive.

Previosue replys are correct, emp hits everyone, friend or foe- so ideal use is a couple mech lengths away from your intended target though I have done long range shots shutting down several enemy mechs to get the most out of its singal use.

One use a life is enough reason to count it as a wild card option that does add some extra intense moments.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users