HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Still having low FPS and frame drops

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Saint_The_Judge

Saint_The_Judge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThird World

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:13 AM

It's a little better than before, I admit. But I'm still suffering from low FPS and abrupt frame drops. I can only have a playable game in Sahara (in alpha 2 phase not even there I could play without stutterings and freezes). Yes, my GPU drive is updated. It looks like a problem related to ATI GPU, some sort of incompatibility or whatever. I know this can be fixed because Blacklight Retribution, which was virtually unplayable, is now perfect with everything maxed out. Engine is the same.
My specs are not the best, but are decent: i7-820QM, ATI Mobility Radeon 5870, 6GB RAM 1,333.
I have more than 35 games in my library, all running smoothly, including new releases such as Rage (almost maxed out) and hardware hungry ones, such as Metro 2033 (high settings), all in FHD.
I tried a ton of tweaks in Alpha, repeated them now, but got no perceptible improvement.
I'm humbling asking for a more fluid gameplay, and accept any suggestions.
Thank you all.
Once a girl asked me in a chat: "-ASL_" I answered: "- Very old, impotent, third world." And she got out the room. Posted Image

#2 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:34 AM

Same here, mate,
But it is still in early Beta, there's much time for improvements ;)

Titan is the worst map fps-wise for me though.
Posted Image
*sigh*

#3 robmcm

robmcm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:33 AM

Yup, Titan for me gets the worst FPS drops as well. I've got a feeling however, that my frame rate improved slightly on Andromedia after the latest beta update.

#4 Korriban87

Korriban87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:55 AM

From Best to worst FPS maps
1. Sahara
2. Andromeda
3. Alley
4. Titan

FPS have improved since last update, I can confirm that (about 5-7 more or less)

Edited by Korriban87, October 28 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#5 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:00 AM

I do  concur.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#6 Saint_The_Judge

Saint_The_Judge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThird World

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:09 AM

Titan is really the worst to play. I agree with robmcm and Korriban87, though. See a slight FPS increase comparing to alpha. Now I'm able to set graphics quality at medium instead of low, and still have a shade better FPS. Things start to get really hard when I enter a hardcore fight, close quarters like. They will fix it, I'm sure.
Thanks for the feedback.
Once a girl asked me in a chat: "-ASL_" I answered: "- Very old, impotent, third world." And she got out the room. Posted Image

#7 Vespian

Vespian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:14 AM

I've got a geforce gtx 285 with 1gb dedicated memory and I get pretty bad FPS with the lowest settings.

#8 qtulu

qtulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:22 AM

Might as well post this here too:

AMD Phenom II x2 550 @3.1 GHz
4GB DDR3 @1333
Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Samsung 1TB HDD
Windows 7 x64

I agree to everything mentioned here. The beta works just slightly better but I still get frequent fps drops and general low framerate making battles extremely problematic. Here's hoping it'll all work considerably better in the final build. I'm loving Hawken so far and I'd love to experience the smoother gameplay that some of the other people are getting.

#9 ZergMark

ZergMark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:45 AM

Same, unplayable for me. Sorry 30fps with dips to under 15 when in combat is unacceptable - changing graphics from max to low has no significant impact.

AMD FX-8150 @4.2ghz
8gb DDR3 @1666
Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SanDisk Extreme 120gb SSD (hawken installed on this)
Read 550MB/s Write 510MB/s
Windows 8 x64

#10 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:56 AM

Titan is a horror of a map for bad FPS.  Feels much worse than Andromeda did in alpha.

In addition, the map has so many buggy ramps that you can't walk up without having to boost.  Every wall is sticky as well, it's like the entire map has been coated in superglue.

It's a nice idea for a map but my word it's a difficult creature to like.  ;)

#11 Snoof

Snoof

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationLocation, Location

Posted October 28 2012 - 01:11 PM

View Postqtulu, on October 28 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

4GB DDR3 @1333
Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Samsung 1TB HDD
Windows 7 x64

Those are the bare minimum requirements, your Dual Core is outdated, you got 4gb 1333 RAM which is quite a low amount and is rather slow, your GPU is an ATI card ( need i say more_), and it doesnt look like a SSD drive to me either, in other words your entire system is old and needs upgrading, id start with a CPU and slowly work my way up to the GPU

My specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2Ghz
2x 4GB G-skill 1600 RAM
ASUS GTX 550ti DCU, OC to 560ti levels
fuzzy bunny non-SSD drive

game runs fine for me dropping to maybe 35 at worst with max settings, with things like motion blur and radial blur being hard-removed with ini tweaks since i hate the artificial blur created by games, i let my eyes do the blurring, and if they dont then no blur was needed

Edited by Snoof, October 28 2012 - 01:16 PM.

Posted Image

#12 qtulu

qtulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostSnoof, on October 28 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

4GB DDR3 @1333
Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Samsung 1TB HDD
Windows 7 x64

Those are the bare minimum requirements, your Dual Core is outdated, you got 4gb 1333 RAM which is quite a low amount and is rather slow, your GPU is an ATI card ( need i say more_), and it doesnt look like a SSD drive to me either, in other words your entire system is old and needs upgrading, id start with a CPU and slowly work my way up to the GPU

My specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2Ghz
2x 4GB G-skill 1600 RAM
ASUS GTX 550ti DCU, OC to 560ti levels
fuzzy bunny non-SSD drive

game runs fine for me dropping to maybe 35 at worst with max settings, with things like motion blur and radial blur being hard-removed with ini tweaks since i hate the artificial blur created by games, i let my eyes do the blurring, and if they dont then no blur was needed

These are the official requirements posted by MerryAgony:

Min Spec

CPU: 2Ghz Dual Core
Memory: 3GB RAM
Graphics Card: 512MB Graphics card supporting DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0 ( nVidia 9800 GTX/ AMD HD 5670 )
Operating System: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 32bit or 64bit
Hard Drive: 5 GB of space
Internet Connection: Broadband connection

Recommended Spec

CPU: 3Ghz Dual Core
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics Card: 1024MB Graphics card supporting DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0 ( nVidia GTX 460/ AMD HD 6850 )
Operating System: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 64bit
Hard Drive: 5 GB of space
Internet Connection: Broadband connection

I am well aware these are not set in stone and that Hawken is indeed in beta, but the performance I'm getting (and many others as can be seen in these forums) does not realistically reflect what I should be getting. Again, not whining or anything, just posting in this thread in hopes of figuring it out together.

And when I say it works bad, it does so on Low at 1280x720.

As for my configuration, the dual core keeps up wonderfully with absolutely every game that's come out this year, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having an AMD card and SSDs are still a niche thing in most parts of the world and even having Hawken installed on one would doubtfully help with the issue I'm talking about. Thanks for your reply though. :)

#13 SilentCid

SilentCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:33 PM

4GB DDR3 @1333
Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Samsung 1TB HDD
Windows 7 x64

I agree to everything mentioned here. The beta works just slightly better but I still get frequent fps drops and general low framerate making battles extremely problematic. Here's hoping it'll all work considerably better in the final build. I'm loving Hawken so far and I'd love to experience the smoother gameplay that some of the other people are getting.

Here is the reason on why your machine is stuggling to play this game. From the look at your system just seems that the system itself wasn't balanced correctly and has part being OP than the other. Your CPU is the bottleneck and it's stuggling to keep up to the GPU which has much more processing capablities than your AMD Phenom II x2 550. Information coming from the GPU is being pushed back to prioritize physics and math calculations such as rocket trajectory. Here is a link to your CPU and where it stacks in stock settings compared to the other Mid-High Range CPUs.

Now before this is mentioned not all games are technically a like. Battlefield 3 utilizes the CPU more than it does on the GPU. Guild Wars 2 does the same thing where the graphic processing is not utilized as much as the GPU.

http://www.cpubenchm...I X2 550&id=332

Edited by SilentCid, October 28 2012 - 03:34 PM.

Posted Image

#14 MechanicalAngel

MechanicalAngel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostSilentCid, on October 28 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

4GB DDR3 @1333
Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Samsung 1TB HDD
Windows 7 x64

Here is the reason on why your machine is stuggling to play this game. From the look at your system just seems that the system itself wasn't balanced correctly and has part being OP than the other. Your CPU is the bottleneck and it's stuggling to keep up to the GPU which has much more processing capablities than your AMD Phenom II x2 550. Information coming from the GPU is being pushed back to prioritize physics and math calculations such as rocket trajectory. Here is a link to your CPU and where it stacks in stock settings compared to the other Mid-High Range CPUs.

Now before this is mentioned not all games are technically a like. Battlefield 3 utilizes the CPU more than it does on the GPU. Guild Wars 2 does the same thing where the graphic processing is not utilized as much as the GPU.

Except Bottlenecks got nothing to do with performance as long as the the CPU is enough to keep playing. The graphics card could be 200 times faster than the CPU, as long as the CPU meets minimum requirements it should run with more than 5 frames.

Posted Image

#15 DS08

DS08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:49 PM

What are you guys using to check your framerates_ IF you are using fraps or any other third party programs.. STOP.
Those programs cause a massive frame drop for this game.

There is an in-engine way to check it.
when in the main menu hit the tilde key ( ~ ) and then type in "stat fps" and then enter. hit the ~tilde key again to make the console go away
Your framerate will be displayed in the top right corner.

I get fps 60 in menus, 10-15 on re-spawn (last for 1-3 seconds), and 30-40 during normal playing conditions.
My PC specs are in my signature.

Post your frame rates and your PC specs.
For those of you who have posted you specs, nVidia 9800 GTX, geforce gtx 285, ANY Radeon Cards under 7.5K model.. All of these cards are outdated for today's games. if someone were to tell me that they want to play PC games and had any these cards, I would laugh at them.

to address the poster of this thread, your GPU is outdated, You also need to post your motherboard... a low end/outdated motherboard with high end everything else still makes an outdated system
""I have more than 35 games in my library, all running smoothly, including new releases such as Rage (almost maxed out) and hardware hungry ones, such as Metro 2033 (high settings), all in FHD.""
Of course those games work nicely, they have very little system requirements to make the game work, they use a modular texturing system that enables them to re-use and have less draw calls for their games. And that's also why everything looks the same.
MY SYSTEM: Win8 Pro 64bit - nForce 680i SLI Board - Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @3.00GHz - 8.00GB RAM - GeForce GTX 570 1GB Dedicated / 4GB Total Graphics Memory.

#16 DS08

DS08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:52 PM

Oh, and everything in my system is 5 years old+, except for the GPU... so if something is more outdated than mine, you've got a problem...
MY SYSTEM: Win8 Pro 64bit - nForce 680i SLI Board - Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @3.00GHz - 8.00GB RAM - GeForce GTX 570 1GB Dedicated / 4GB Total Graphics Memory.

#17 SilentCid

SilentCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostMechanicalAngel, on October 28 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

View PostSilentCid, on October 28 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

4GB DDR3 @1333
Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Samsung 1TB HDD
Windows 7 x64

Except Bottlenecks got nothing to do with performance as long as the the CPU is enough to keep playing. The graphics card could be 200 times faster than the CPU, as long as the CPU meets minimum requirements it should run with more than 5 frames.

If you want to run at 5 frames a second I guess_  The system requirements listed are not final and not all 2GHz dual-cores are exactly all the same. Take a AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3400+ released on the fourth quarter of 2010 with speeds of 2.2GHz. Now take an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ which has the same clock speeds of 2.2 GHz. Which one do you think will out do the other_ The 4400+ will as the pipeline is bigger to process data. When something being the cause of a bottleneck there is a traffic jam just like if you're on a freeway your speed decreases just like your FPS.

View PostDS08, on October 28 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Oh, and everything in my system is 5 years old+, except for the GPU... so if something is more outdated than mine, you've got a problem...

qtulu's CPU came out about the same year your did; however, yours was the cream of the crop at that time priced at 900+ USD.  So the difference between systems is night and day in terms of performance.

Posted Image

#18 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:39 PM

Something people are forgetting is the role of the motherboard in bottlenecks (or lack of). It's not just about your CPU and GPU; that data's gotta get piped around the system between the components.

I'm particularly aware of this because my computer is old, and it was built on a slightly tight budget. My front side bus pushes data at 333MHz. This bottlenecks the whole joint, because the CPU and RAM are stuck on this pathetic little line.

I have a fuzzy bunny computer, I'm aware. That's not the point. The point is that the entire system is involved in transfer speeds, not just whatever chip you jammed into a socket. Some people forget about that. Make sure there's a decent motherboard hosting all of your components before picking apart which major component needs to be upgraded.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#19 v3rtigo0ne

v3rtigo0ne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 07:05 PM

The performance on most maps doesn't seem to scale much with resolution. 720p vs 1080p on Ultra Textures/High Details [everything else off with AS at 1x] as a test:
720p: 60 in Menus, 45-50 non-combat, 35-40 in combat.
1080: 50 in Menus, 43-49 non-combat,  29-37 in combat.

Switching to Low details seems to help a little, but I'd rather have it look prettier and it seems to perform decently. If they can improve it before launch it should be pretty nice.

Stats:
ASUS G74SX-AH71

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro
System RAM: 16361 MB
CPU Name: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
CPU Speeds: 2201
Physical CPUs: 1
Virtual CPUs: 8
Video Card Description: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  
VRAM: 3071 MB
Primary Display Resolution: 1920x1080
Multi-Monitor Desktop Resolution: 3840x1080

#20 TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:24 PM

Wow, I've never read quite so many misinformed posts in a single thread.

I feel for you OP, your system should be more than adequate for this game.
It isn't though, as the game is running like a dog atm.

As for what you can do about it.... being on a laptop it might be worth checking that your power settings are set to Balanced profile, not Power saver.
This doesn't adversely effect all games (presumably some games programmatically override it), but UDK-based games seen prone to performing poorly on laptops that have their power profile set to power saver.
Worth a look, but don't get your hopes up.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users