HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Dat Point-D Vulcan...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:20 PM

Roundlay, I loved how you were still going after people with 11 health left!

They should add a custom xp bonus if you kill someone with under 30 health left. And then add that to a tally in the stats for your profile. Then we will really know who has balls of steel in their mechs.

#22 z0mbie

z0mbie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationIn orbit

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:45 PM

Sounds like a GAU-8.

#23 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostItsThatGuy, on October 30 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Roundlay, I loved how you were still going after people with 11 health left! They should add a custom xp bonus if you kill someone with under 30 health left. And then add that to a tally in the stats for your profile. Then we will really know who has balls of steel in their mechs.

Cool idea! I figure that unless someone is paying close attention to the damage state of my mech, they're just as scare of an engagement as I am!

View Postjohnbearross, on October 30 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

Sweetbabyjeezus that weapon (Point D-Vulcan) is insanely overpowered. Yes, I'm sure folks earned it, after level 20, but it's a buzzkill being slaughtered over and over again after a few-seconds burst. Dial that fuzziest of bunnies back on the powermeter, por favor.

I wouldn't say insanely overpowered, but I know what you mean. On Titan, where it is really easy for other mechs to strafe out of sight, managing your spin-up time and getting a point on other mechs can be difficult. Or on the-desert-map, where there is lots of room for other mechs to move out of the Point D's accuracy range, it really doesn't feel all too different from the assault rifle.

#24 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:51 PM

View PostRoundlay, on October 30 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

I wouldn't say insanely overpowered, but I know what you mean. On Titan, where it is really easy for other mechs to strafe out of sight, managing your spin-up time and getting a point on other mechs can be difficult. Or on the-desert-map, where there is lots of room for other mechs to move out of the Point D's accuracy range, it really doesn't feel all too different from the assault rifle.

On Alleys, which is all about choke points and tight spaces, it's terrifying. ;)
Live Open Beta gameplay and commentary on twitch.tv/Tezkat...

More HAWKEN gameplay videos at Mech.TV.

#25 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:42 AM

Just watching that has me concerned. That thing looks like it whoops serious ass.

It also looks like the warmup time is roughly the amount of time it would take to juke out from cover. I shouldn't have told you that, but you have one and are thus obligated to try the tactic later.
Posted Image

#26 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted November 16 2012 - 04:09 PM

Had to come back and find this video to show a friend. Mmm quality and awesome vulcan stuff, though I know it's going to be changed this is still awesome. I should have done a video... hmm, definitely recording some this next beta.
Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

#27 SmaCkexe

SmaCkexe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted November 17 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostImmie, on October 30 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

From my experience and some math, I'm gonna have to say the Vulcan is probably a little bit too strong.
  • It has the highest DPS in the game at 133 (for comparison, the SMC is 80 and the AR is 88)
  • It's also the hottest weapon in the game, generating 10 hear per second
You'd think that would serve to balance it, however:
  • That DPS is so high it still deals 1333 damage before overheating
  • For comparison, the SMC, which is supposed to be a low heat weapon, only hits for 1200 damage before overheating (and it takes 50% longer to deal that damage)
So basically, if you're putting rounds on your target, the vulcan is totalpwnage mode. While it does have a great deal of spread, the only other weapon that comes close to those damage numbers (the flak cannon at 130 DPS) even less accurate.

There is one more thing counting against it: a 0.5 second warm up time. In the end, I wouldn't say the weapon is "omgwtfbbq what were they thinking" totally broken, but it could use a bit of toning down. Maybe just a bit more heat so its heat/damage ratio wasn't actually better than the weapon that is supposed to sacrifice damage for low heat...

Instead of toning down the Vulcan ... I think they need to buff the SMC and AR.

I think the Vulcan works as intended.  I think the Slug works well and as intended.  I think the Flak Cannon needs its range reduced or Bullet Spread increased slightly.  Heat Cannon is maybe the most balanced in regards to dmg/heat/skill. The AR needs to have its Heat slightly reduced so it overheats slower.  And the SMC needs to do more dmg and fire quickly to make it more viable.  

To be honest ... I feel like the Vulcan has finally reached it's potential.

Vulcan - Good

Slug - Good

HC - Good

Flak -Range needs to be lowered or Spread increased to make it less effective at at medium and long range

AR - Over heats to quickly based upon its dmg. I think a 1.5 second increase in fire time will fix this.

SMC- Useless. Need to increase fire rate, reduce heat, and increase dmg.  This gun should be absolutely destructive at close range.  It should feel like the Vulcan at close range and like the Flak at long range.

Edited by SmaCkexe, November 17 2012 - 05:28 PM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users