HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Bonus for best player on losing team

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 10:10 PM

Great idea, I hate playing other games (like wow) and being steamrolled which just turn into a rage/quit fest when it should just encourage people to team up and try a different strategy.

Also a reward for comebacks would be awesome as well.

#22 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 10:32 PM

On a separate note, does anyone know exactly how xp is calculated for regular kills and assists (not talking about modifiers such as savior or contested control or killstreak or revenge)_

Reason I'm wondering is if it is a flat amount, then if you sprayed someone once with one bullet and picked up the assist or kill, it would feel 'undeserved' in comparison to someone who brought an enemy mech's health down by 3/4. That is why I am hoping that the xp earned is based on the amount of damage done, because that would only seem fair. Otherwise the game would promote tagging everyone with showers of bullets at the expense of focused fire (for players focusing on picking up as many kills/assists as possible rather than hurting a fully healthy mech if there are multiple target options).

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#23 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 01:55 PM

I like the idea of the best player on the losing team getting some kind of bonus.
I play blacklight a lot, and it really sucks being the best player on the server and being the only player on your team with a positive K/D ratio or trying to cap points/flags.  Since there's a win bonus for in game currency at the end it's always really tempting to want to switch to the winning team for a bit more cash flow.  But, if the bonus was for top player or for the best player on the losing team it would cut down on that and just encourage you to try and carry your team a bit more instead of teamswapping.
I fully support this idea for hawken.

Edit:  I don't want there to be a penalty for leaving or ragequitting, though.  Especially since this is server-based drop-in drop-out, not matchmaking like in LoL or DotA where you're stuck with the team you get for the whole game.

Edited by Timber_Wolf, November 03 2012 - 01:57 PM.

Chicks dig giant robots.

#24 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostCulex, on November 02 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

On a separate note, does anyone know exactly how xp is calculated for regular kills and assists (not talking about modifiers such as savior or contested control or killstreak or revenge)_

Reason I'm wondering is if it is a flat amount, then if you sprayed someone once with one bullet and picked up the assist or kill, it would feel 'undeserved' in comparison to someone who brought an enemy mech's health down by 3/4. That is why I am hoping that the xp earned is based on the amount of damage done, because that would only seem fair. Otherwise the game would promote tagging everyone with showers of bullets at the expense of focused fire (for players focusing on picking up as many kills/assists as possible rather than hurting a fully healthy mech if there are multiple target options).
I thought it was damage based with a flat amount being rewarded for the kill, but I could be wrong.  It felt like if you do the most damage, only for the kill to be taken by a couple bullets, you get more points than what the assist shows, but not the flat amount for the kill.
Chicks dig giant robots.

#25 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 03 2012 - 03:08 PM

I like the idea. I don't know how a top winning player compares to a top losing player in the current set up. I would be interested to see how the numbers compare currently before deciding if this should be implemented. I wouldn't want the team play to fall apart to people playing for themselves just to receive a top player bonus over the winning team bonus and so it would have to be balanced out.

Posted Image

#26 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 03 2012 - 07:30 PM

Listing a player's quit rate in their profile seems like a good way to encourage players to stick it out. Certainly had the desired psychological effect on me whilst playing Dota.

#27 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted November 03 2012 - 09:04 PM

People and their e-p3n1s cannot stand being on a losing team... it hurts their record rating. I still think it will be problematic, but I do agree that giving bonuses based on play will at least help.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#28 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 04 2012 - 01:59 AM

View Postc0mad0r, on November 03 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

People and their e-p3n1s cannot stand being on a losing team... it hurts their record rating. I still think it will be problematic, but I do agree that giving bonuses based on play will at least help.

Good point. Perhaps putting a bail percentage rate up front alongside win/loss statistics, or giving players with lower bail percentage rates server queue priority might help overcome bailers and bailettes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users