HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Fresh Install: "Unable to load application configuration"

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Danikov

Danikov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:30 AM

So, apparently I got invited to CB1 but missed the email, but I caught the 'we miss you' email and decided CB2's timing was perfect and I wanted to get me some Hawken!

Installer downloaded fine- kinda small at 15mb, but I assume it's just a launcher and the bulk of the files are coming. Run it, it installs fine, the 'play Hawken' is checked, and that's where it goes wrong. When I try to run the launcher, I get the aforementioned "Unable to load application configuration" error box. Uninstalling and reinstalling hasn't helped, nor does running it independently of the installer completing.

I am aware that the 'servers' aren't available right now (although nobody's made it clear to me in anything I've read whether that's just game servers or download servers too- seems silly to have everyone hammer them for 4.5GB of files when CB2 goes live and from the sounds of things, most people have got to the patching stage and have most of the client). I'm also aware that the "Unable to load application configuration" has occurred before, but from what I've read, that's been when there's been a previous installation of the alpha and the work-around is uninstalling it, which I cannot do.

What's been really disappointing to see is the very... antagonistic responses in some of the other support threads here. People are keen on playing Hawken and frustrated that they can't and don't understand why. Nobody volunteered you for support, so if you can't be patient and kind to new players, don't volunteer for it. I've been very careful to ensure I'm not repeating other problems people have expressed (it sounds similar, but isn't identical to problems others have expressed with the CB2), but my flameshields are precautiously up in case that anyone's keen to make impulsive angry posts.

If there's good answers to my questions and maybe a fix for this particular issue, hopefully they can get added to the stickied FAQ and help more people find the answers they need.

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:36 AM

The entire Hawken CBT1 install is 1.97GB, for the record. I don't know how big the update patch for CBT2 is going to be, but I can't imagine it's going to be double the size in two weeks or so of work.

Have you run the launcher as an Administrator, if you're running Windows Vista/7_ In fact, that's a question. What are your specs_ How much RAM, what OS_
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 Danikov

Danikov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 04:02 AM

It may not be a 4.5GB download, that was just the figure the installer quoted required on the HD (I assume some compression will reduce the download size).

I am sporting a Windows 7 x64 with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 (that's a quad-core 3.2Ghz), 6GB of RAM, and an nVidia 460 GTX (1GB) graphics card. I'm currently running the 301.42 drivers.

Running as administrator has the same symptoms. I tried uninstalling and installing the launcher as administrator, but that also had no effect. From the looks of things, it isn't even trying to connect out.

The only thing I'm doing that's out of the ordinary is I'm installing it to my S: drive instead of C: (lack of room on the primary drive).

#4 Danikov

Danikov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 04:17 AM

Poked around the registry, HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/MeteorEntertainment/Hawken/InstDir correctly points to the install directory, whose contents are:

locales/en-US.pak
chrome.pak
HawkenLauncher.exe
HawkenLauncher.version
icudt.dll
libcef.dll

When it runs, no sign of handles onto configuration files in either that directory or in %AppData% or similar.

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 04:41 AM

1.97GB is the actual size of my CBT1 client install, that's the number I'm referencing.

I'm not advocating mucking about with your registry, but make sure the "Redist" value is set to a hexadecimal 1 (0x00000001). If it doesn't exist, create a string value named "UserName" and put your registered-with-Hawken email address in there.

I'm just kind of taking shots in the dark, since I'm not sure what could cause this on a system that has never had an Alpha install hanging around. The error message isn't necessarily strictly descriptive, either, as.. actually, it's a long shot, but I wonder.

Navigate to the MeteorEntertainment folder on your S: drive (the one where the launcher lives), pull up the properties, and take ownership of the folder with full control if it isn't already set to it. I really don't think this is going to work, but it struck me that if the launcher doesn't have the right permissions to the files it's trying to create, read, or manipulate, it might fall through errors until finally landing on the old standby, unable to load application configuration.

But I'm no dev, obviously.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#6 Danikov

Danikov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:18 AM

Still no joy. Probably starting to reach the limits of what I can/should do without dev interaction. The fact that I don't have the Redist registry value set to 1 (or existing at all) may help with debugging on their part at least.

#7 111psycho

111psycho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:29 AM

I'm having the same issue since the FIRST alpha event, and no help was given to me, at least Danikov can install the game. Here I can't even do this, the 16mb patcher doesn't download anything, the process stars and then suddenly closes.

Edited by 111psycho, November 10 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#8 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:31 AM

I'm going to take a guess and say that the "Redist->1" thing is a way of marking that I already have installed the DirectX redistributables and such. In which case, you probably shouldn't set that registry value manually, since that comes after the end of the client download and first-run setup.

I'm not really comfortable with suggesting anything else, because I really don't want to be responsible for turning your computer into an expensive and pretty paperweight. You might want to file a support ticket just in case, just to make sure Adhesive/Meteor see it.

#9 Danikov

Danikov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 06:24 AM

That sounds quite reasonable and in line with what other applications do.

It sounds like 111psycho is having a similar problem. I also haven't installed the game, only the launcher (installed by the file you download from the website 'HawkenInstaller.exe'), which fails to proceed on to download the rest of the client and just crashes out with the aforementioned error message.

I've put in a support ticket, but basically just referenced this thread as it seemed silly to duplicate the extensive information contained.

Edited by Danikov, November 08 2012 - 06:25 AM.

#10 MerryAgony

MerryAgony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationAt my desk... duh!

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:26 AM

We've seen this error when the player still has the Alpha2 client downloaded. Uninstall the Alpha client and then download the Beta Client, and you should be good to go.

#11 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:34 AM

I don't think Danikov was in the alpha, at least not with this account. I skipped mentioning that for this reason, but yeah: if you actually were in the alpha at any point, make sure you uninstall the client.

#12 Danikov

Danikov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, as I mentioned in the OP, this is my first attempt at playing Hawken and I'm performing a fresh install- that is, I wasn't in the alpha.

There must be something common with the two bugs to give the same error message, but the reproduction steps are different.

#13 Mobius_Two

Mobius_Two

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 02:18 PM

I am having this issue as well, havent been in the alpha and done several install loops and still no cigar. I also submitted a support ticket

#14 111psycho

111psycho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:17 AM

Still nothing here. There should be a link to download the whole thing at once, not patchers...

#15 asoka

asoka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:56 AM

I also have the same issue. Experimented it at the end of the last alpha (had to miss the dev event)

I've uninstalled, wiped the registry. I've really tried everything, still couldn't get past it

#16 DanDanikov

DanDanikov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'm going back and forth with AAA4 on a support thread, we're exploring every option, will bring you up to date if we find a solution.

#17 Danikov

Danikov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:51 PM

Finally located the problem- proxycap, winpcap, and similar proxying software can interfere, even when disabled. I uninstalled mine and it started working fine.

#18 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 10:23 PM

Danikov, on November 10 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

Finally located the problem- proxycap, winpcap, and similar proxying software can interfere, even when disabled. I uninstalled mine and it started working fine.

You failed to mention you had to people in a unofficial irc channel giving you help of which I asked you if you were running any firewall software or similar and you said no. Had you said you were running a proxy program I would have asked you to disable it from the get go :P

#19 Danikov

Danikov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 02:07 AM

Actually, I initially thought not to mention the self-important people on IRC, but you changed my mind. You guys were totally useless and very unhelpful, even insulting at times. And you followed me onto the forums to continue taunting me in some misguided attempt to sing your own praises. You are doing an incredible disservice to the Hawken community, on top of all the other bad eggs out there.

You even look quite stupid doing so- you continue to show little knowledge of how a proxifier works and equate it to a firewall (that's like equating a toll booth to a ferry because they both admit cars). On top of that, you say that I should have disabled it from the get go, when in fact, it was. I even said it, in the bit you quoted, and pointed out that disabling it WAS OF NO HELP. So your 'solution' actually fails. On top of that, you made a whole load of fuss over where my temp directory lived and how I'd relocated it which turned out to be a dead-end and also of no help.

So here's what I propose- stop trying to help people. You're going to drive more off than you help with your condescending attitude and your misinformation. If you ever find a real fix to a problem someone else has, pass the information on to people who can relate it to others in a more helpful manner and keep your own mouth shut.

#20 Krylancelo

Krylancelo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 07:13 AM

I just downloaded the installer and I'm having the same issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users