HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Why does anyone start the shooting_

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 TheAriDee

TheAriDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:29 PM

Seems to me the only people that are winning are the light units when they come in at the end of a 1 on 1 and steal the last hit with their long range gun.... they don't even help.

They just stand there waiting and then once i get the enemy down to their last little bar of health i am so shocked that my kill score didn't change. Just an assist...

These guys aren't doing anything... i know it's a team game, but if i'm doing all the work while the team mate who wouldn't even give me cover until the enemy was almost dead (so they get the kill) then what incentive do i have to keep playing_

How will i get into a good guild or be noticed for my skill unless i bring myself to the same tactics_

This has been 9 of 10 games in the last hour or so. Is it just me_

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:34 PM

Exp granted is based on damage done, not killshots acquired. Exp is what pumps your mech's weapon stats and optimizations and is key to getting you to level 20 so you can break out the Vulcan cannon. (At least that's how it was available in CBT1.)

Plus, for many, many people, this is a brand new experience. Lotsa newbs that don't know how to teamwork. Give it a bit of time.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:34 PM

Don't worry about it. XP is awarded proportional to damage. If you did most of the hurt, you get most of the credit, and the poacher only gets a little bit of it.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#4 Sinj

Sinj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationStamford, CT USA

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:38 PM

Don't worry to much about I some times find my self helping a teammate and leaving just before the kill so I don't take it, if you're good people will take notice don't let it get to ya.
Posted Image

#5 TheAriDee

TheAriDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:39 PM

Well i do like getting XP over k/d.

BUT, they should make the XP gain a little more visible. Just for me.

#6 LinuxDaemon

LinuxDaemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostTheAriDee, on November 08 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

Seems to me the only people that are winning are the light units when they come in at the end of a 1 on 1 and steal the last hit with their long range gun.... they don't even help.

They just stand there waiting and then once i get the enemy down to their last little bar of health i am so shocked that my kill score didn't change. Just an assist...

These guys aren't doing anything... i know it's a team game, but if i'm doing all the work while the team mate who wouldn't even give me cover until the enemy was almost dead (so they get the kill) then what incentive do i have to keep playing_

How will i get into a good guild or be noticed for my skill unless i bring myself to the same tactics_

This has been 9 of 10 games in the last hour or so. Is it just me_
Im at work and have not started playing yet, and since I just thought about it in response to this I haven't searched, but isnt there a K/D ratio and wouldn't that play a large part in who guilds add as members_

#7 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm gonna hazard a guess that there are more pressing issues. You can check your exp total for the match on the scoreboard (hit tab) in-game. It and your K/D/A are separated by your ping.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#8 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostLinuxDaemon, on November 08 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

Im at work and have not started playing yet, and since I just thought about it in response to this I haven't searched, but isnt there a K/D ratio and wouldn't that play a large part in who guilds add as members_
I would choose someone who is flexible and knows how to play Hawken as a team member over someone with a sick KDR.

#9 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:42 PM

XP gain doesn't matter till after the match. If you do most of the work, it'll show at the end. Got your kill stolen_ Focus on getting another. If they keep stealing, hey, what does it matter when you get the lionshare of the credit_

Kiwi would rather not have the XP notifications be bigger, it could get in the way of other things.

Any clan that would use KDR for membership is not a clan worth joining, especially since there are so many other stats you can look at.

Edited by TheChaffeemancer, November 08 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#10 SunshineSloth

SunshineSloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Equator, North of the South Pole.

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:46 PM

I do this. Worse in DM but all the time. Especially guilty when sniping. The problem is that it is fundamentally smarter to do this. It's a logical function of game mechanics. The large targets, dueling engagements, high health and slow firing high damage weapons all add up to your current predicament. I do try to be helpful mostly because I get a boner over savior kills.

I am going to dive into the whole clan scene. I'm going to incentivise  sportsmanship with shame and guilt. Seems to be the only way forward right now. Organisation is the future though I'm from Aus which means lag is going to be a hurdle.

You'll be noticed in clan a lot more. For now I just consider assists the mark of a real man (or woman).

It is most definitely not you.
Posted Image

#11 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostSunshineSloth, on November 08 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

I do this. Worse in DM but all the time. Especially guilty when sniping. The problem is that it is fundamentally smarter to do this.

Actually, it'd be smarter to start shooting when you see the person, instead of waiting to steal the kill. The longer you hold fire, the more damage a friendly is taking.

#12 LinuxDaemon

LinuxDaemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 08 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

XP gain doesn't matter till after the match. If you do most of the work, it'll show at the end. Got your kill stolen_ Focus on getting another. If they keep stealing, hey, what does it matter when you get the lionshare of the credit_

Kiwi would rather not have the XP notifications be bigger, it could get in the way of other things.

Any clan that would use KDR for membership is not a clan worth joining, especially since there are so many other stats you can look at.

Like I said I havent played this game yet. My experience is mainly with FPS games, and the elite ones that would normally win tended to be those that also had members with a good KDR.

*Disclaimer*
I am not saying that I was in those clans/guilds/ w/e, I tended to be more of a liability than an asset. :P

#13 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 08 2012 - 04:01 PM

They really need to add "Damage done" stat into score board.

#14 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostPiVoR, on November 08 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

They really need to add "Damage done" stat into score board.
Useless stat. Some game modes aren't all about who dishes out the most damage. And you can still dish out tons of damage and stink the joint up.

#15 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 04:13 PM

The "ranking" of a match, or who is leading a team on the scoreboard, is also listed based off of XP.  So you can have the most kills or best ratio and not be on top of the list.  So in that sense, Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch scoreboards usually end up sorting by damage dealt on a kill, whether you landed the killing blows or not (although there are other factors).  Other game modes are a different story.

Would you guys like to see more stats like total damage dealt/absorbed, average damage dealt per life, or an assist/death ratio_  Might be good to make a thread in the Suggestion section if you have ideas on that.

#16 TheAriDee

TheAriDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 08 2012 - 04:35 PM

I am interested in knowing that if K/D does not matter, and XP is the essential thing here... why have a death total at all_

Sure makes those 4K/7D/13Assist matches much more enjoyable if i am blissfully unaware of how fuzzy bunny my K/D is when it just looks like "4K/13A".

I can get into hardcore support roles knowing i'm happy to support the team win. Makes it much easier for me to enjoy it knowing i'm the assist leader and not ALSO the death leader. Haha.

#17 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostDeuy, on November 08 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

Would you guys like to see more stats like total damage dealt/absorbed, average damage dealt per life, or an assist/death ratio_  Might be good to make a thread in the Suggestion section if you have ideas on that.

Defintely yes for an Assist/Death ratio. The others would be nice, but the A/D ratio would help soothe the hurt feelings from the "kill stealing."

As for having a death stat, it's there for people who get off on things like K/DR.

#18 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostDeuy, on November 08 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

The "ranking" of a match, or who is leading a team on the scoreboard, is also listed based off of XP.  So you can have the most kills or best ratio and not be on top of the list.  So in that sense, Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch scoreboards usually end up sorting by damage dealt on a kill, whether you landed the killing blows or not (although there are other factors).  Other game modes are a different story.

I wouldn't mind more stats, just not on the scoreboard. Keep the scoreboard to the important stuff (or else it'll be ridiculously huge); keep the detailed stats for both the garage and the site-based statistics you promised us. :)

I would recommend you guys seriously considering XPM (XP/Minute) as a stat, though. On the whole I feel that's a lot more of a reliable indicator of player skill versus simple K/D, especially when you factor in team-based game modes like Missile Assault and Siege where K/D matters less.

View PostTheAriDee, on November 08 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

I am interested in knowing that if K/D does not matter, and XP is the essential thing here... why have a death total at all_

Sure makes those 4K/7D/13Assist matches much more enjoyable if i am blissfully unaware of how fuzzy bunny my K/D is when it just looks like "4K/13A".

I can get into hardcore support roles knowing i'm happy to support the team win. Makes it much easier for me to enjoy it knowing i'm the assist leader and not ALSO the death leader. Haha.
Deaths are still important in a team game, especially in Missile Assault and Siege, where there's respawn timers.

That said, the smart players know to look past deaths in game modes like that. I'd rather have a player with a so-so KD, but who's helping me get EUs and defend the AA, than the god of K/D who just hangs back and does nothing.

#19 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:00 AM

In deathmatch it's one thing but in team games, I don't care if someone supposedly steals my "kill".  I want the enemy destroyed and I expect anyone on my side to be filling them in as much lead and fire as possible.   If I see an enemy I'm gonna take shots, if I get the final shot so be it.  I expect everyone to do the same, as the faster one enemy is down the less damage he can do and the faster we can begin hammering the next one or repairing.

In siege and missle, killing the enemy helps but is not a priority.  If you can get the kill without big risk, take the shot and return to the EU or turret.
When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

#20 Dark_Horse

Dark_Horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:13 PM

You're playing with terrible teammates. It happens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users