HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Infiltrator trend

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 03:57 AM

While I will admit to being partial to sniper-type weapons and play style, after playing the infiltrator for just a wee bit (and watching every "top tier" player spam it all night long) I must admit that - to stand a fighting chance - you have to run it. It's just too OP as it currently stands.
"There is no true genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results; that is the definition of insanity." - Albert Einstein
"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." General George Patton
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Only two things are infinite: The universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

#22 T4nned

T4nned

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:40 AM

i am playing assault, boosted on defense (11ranks) and movement (12ranks) and i can face infiltrators, but they are cleary too strong against c class. i bought the 2 types of c class and i dont use them. Maybe in competitive match c class could be playable if they never stay alone. Sorry for my basic english.

#23 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:21 AM

As a rocketeer, infiltrators don't give me trouble. I always fight everything from at least a medium distance. Grenades are easy to dodge from there, but hellfire missiles are still effective. One good missile hit and they're already down to half health. One charged shot and that's another quarter health.

I can't remeber the last time an infiltrator destroyed me. Then again, I can't remember the last time I destroyed an infiltrator. They always run away when they take a beating.

#24 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:40 AM

View PostHugeGuts, on November 09 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

As a rocketeer, infiltrators don't give me trouble. I always fight everything from at least a medium distance. Grenades are easy to dodge from there, but hellfire missiles are still effective. One good missile hit and they're already down to half health. One charged shot and that's another quarter health.

I can't remeber the last time an infiltrator destroyed me. Then again, I can't remember the last time I destroyed an infiltrator. They always run away when they take a beating.
What the heck kind of scrub Infils are you playing against_

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#25 Foureyes

Foureyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:54 AM

Eh, that's funny because that's exactly what I was thinking about. As much as I hated using a Rocketeer during CB1, I didn't like going against good ones yesterday. As an infiltrator, a hellfire salvo in the face makes you think twice before continuing combat. C-Class also have enough health that a dragging fight can turn to your disadvantage if the heavy's pilot is skilled.

EDIT: I should probably mention that most of those were in team setting.

Maybe I'm not playing in the big league yet, but most of the time, when I easily tore people a new one, they weren't dodging, using cover or using items as much as they could while I was certainly using all of those.

I sucked with precision weapons during CB1 so I dismissed the heat cannon. Maybe I should give it another try tonight.

While we're on a general "Infiltrator topic", how and how often are you guys using camo_ I find that I tend to forget about it and that it's bad when I would want to use it. I have successfully managed to use it as an escape or approach tool once or twice, but am I the only one thinking it's underwhelming_

Edited by Foureyes, November 09 2012 - 06:57 AM.

#26 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:05 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 09 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

What the heck kind of scrub Infils are you playing against_

Exactly my thoughts as well. As an infiltrator, the Rocketeer is by far the class I fear the least. The hellfire missles are laughably easy to dodge and the GL is guaranteed hit as long as you wait until after they dodge to fire. Add a Heat Cannon into the mix and the already outmatched Rocketeer doesn't have a prayer. The only time a Rocketeer will win is if the Infiltrator is a low level rookie. Otherwise, Rocky had better have some GODLY aim with that EOC.

View PostFoureyes, on November 09 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

While we're on a general "Infiltrator topic", how and how often are you guys using camo_ I find that I tend to forget about it and that it's bad when I would want to use it. I have successfully managed to use it as an escape or approach tool once or twice, but am I the only one thinking it's underwhelming_

Fairly often. It's useful for sneaking up on control points, and running away while hiding from radar. Probably my favorite use is pretending to retreat because I'm at low health but instead I wait for them to chase me around the corner. Getting the drop on them like that when they have a health advantage is a great equalizer.

Edited by Silk_Sk, November 09 2012 - 07:08 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:10 AM

i do fine against them with the berserker but i have noticed that there are a lot more in matches and at the top of the scoreboard as well

#28 KNIVES

KNIVES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:59 AM

Never used the HEAT cannon on the inf really. I play Inf/sharpshooter and been doing jsut fine without using the HEAT cannon, I guess i am going to have to try this out and see how much face is melts.

#29 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostSilk_Sk, on November 09 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

Exactly my thoughts as well. As an infiltrator, the Rocketeer is by far the class I fear the least. The hellfire missles are laughably easy to dodge and the GL is guaranteed hit as long as you wait until after they dodge to fire. Add a Heat Cannon into the mix and the already outmatched Rocketeer doesn't have a prayer. The only time a Rocketeer will win is if the Infiltrator is a low level rookie. Otherwise, Rocky had better have some GODLY aim with that EOC.
I beg to differ.

Smart Rocketeers never dodge except to avoid projectiles that have already been launched(actually, this is what smart players in general do except in case where cover is a factor).

EOC is piss easy to aim at the ranges the infiltrator can maim you and does massive damage with little heat produced.

Hellfire missiles can actually do respectable damage if you know how to use them. By know how to use them I mean spray an area with unguided shots so it's impossible to avoid. You should get at least 100 damage in that way just from splash since you're going after an area and not a person. Not as good as TOW/GL, but definitely not bad. The homing is just there for sharpshooters targeting other people.

I tend to avoid C class mechs as an infiltrator because I know I can't beat them in a fight without consumables if they can aim worth a damn. When I play any C class it's the cocky little infiltrators I prey upon.

#30 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:53 AM

what if the infiltrator got a silenced automatic weapon as one of there alternate primary's instead of the heat cannon

or added to there cloak ability once out of cloak they get 15 seconds off radar even when firing

the reason i suggest this is most infiltrators i see are basically berserkers with a grenade launcher and never touch there special ability

#31 Ssuusshhii

Ssuusshhii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:12 AM

When I run into a C Mech as an infiltrator, I just think free kill if his team isn't behind him.  I just boost right beside them and circle strafe while going ape all over my mouse buttons.  They can't turn fast enough to even hit me and if they try to run, I get free shots at them anyways.

As for infiltrator being OP, it seems really stupid in 1v1 situations.  There are places on the map where you just can't lose because you can pop in, dump your entire load on someone, and then strafe back into cover.  The only time I ever lose is when I'm unlucky enough to run into a premade pair or team (or a rare group of pubs that work together), so they'll say something when I flank someone and I get bursted down.

I can see why they gave the infiltrator the heat cannon, because it allows it to fit into a niche where it can hurt you while avoiding damage with its mobility.  I don't think there's any other mech that can just pop out and pop in so quickly and still be so effective.  However, the heat cannon itself gives the mech too much versatility and damage.  I think a redesign of the direction of the mech is needed because as cool as it is now, I don't think the ability to do risk-free burst damage behind cover belongs in the game.

In my opinion, they should change the heat cannon to the mini-flak, think of another level 20 primary if they're keeping that aspect of account progression in, and tweak camouflage a little so it doesn't feel so meh.  Get rid of the cloak aspect of, lower the duration, and make it wipe you off the radar completely or something even while moving or shooting.  I really don't find myself relying on my ability that much beyond flanking, and even then it feels way too gimmicky for a mech that's supposed to be about going in.

#32 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 10:40 AM

I dont think the issue is the heat cannon, it's the amount of damage the infiltrator can do given how maneuverable it is.  If they reduce the damage output of the inf, it would be good.  The inf should be a quick surgical striker.  Right now it's a quick spam a ton of damage class.  When you have that amount of damage output with that much maneuverability, it'll top any other mech.

#33 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:52 AM

*HawkenDB reverberating into my mind*

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#34 MajorAjer

MajorAjer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:53 AM

Infiltrators are fine. One Sabot rifle shot and they are pretty close to death, especially if you use your damage ability.

#35 Crabbit

Crabbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostMajorAjer, on November 09 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Infiltrators are fine. One Sabot rifle shot and they are pretty close to death, especially if you use your damage ability.

I agree. I've been playing the Infiltrator mech since CBE1 started. Now that sabot rifles have been buffed in CBE2, it makes it a lot harder to get into a fight with full health with out my HP being knocked down significantly by sniper across the map.

#36 LoganGoesPlaces

LoganGoesPlaces

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostD20Face, on November 09 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

View PostSilk_Sk, on November 09 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

I beg to differ.

Smart Rocketeers never dodge except to avoid projectiles that have already been launched(actually, this is what smart players in general do except in case where cover is a factor).

As an infiltrator, it's the C class mechs that don't dodge that I consider basically free kills.  I can usually get quite a bit of damage in with the HEAT before I even get close.  Then quickly move in and dodge circles around you while using HEAT and Grenade.  That usually does the trick but if not its just a quick H.E. Charge before they are toast.

It is rediculously easy to avoid lock on, especially when you are close and dodging in circles too fast for them to keep up.

#37 link0

link0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:11 AM

Agree that HEAT cannon is OP on anything except C-class mechs.  It's impossible to beat a HEAT infil in 1on1 anywhere near cover because of the unmatched burst damage.

#38 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:18 AM

View Postlink0, on November 13 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

Agree that HEAT cannon is OP on anything except C-class mechs.  It's impossible to beat a HEAT infil in 1on1 anywhere near cover because of the unmatched burst damage.
You've obviously never seen a good Brawler or Sharpshooter in action.
I know guys who play those classes, and they'll take me apart with ease.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#39 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:33 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 13 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

You've obviously never seen a good Brawler or Sharpshooter in action.
I know guys who play those classes, and they'll take me apart with ease.

Get bettar with nade-kiting.

Kinda nice to see this older thread bumped, as now seeing some more strategies develop I'm not SO worried. Infiltrator w/ HEAT is still pretty damn strong and top tier I feel, but in competent team vs. competent team scenarios it's far less scary. Brawlers intelligently pushing points, sharpshooters, assaults with vulcan are all very powerful with teamwork and can really be equals to an infiltrator. Would be nice if there were ways to set up scrims or lobbies, you'd get a very good feel for what's OP and not very quickly.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#40 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 03:06 AM

View PostNotKjell, on November 13 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

Would be nice if there were ways to set up scrims or lobbies, you'd get a very good feel for what's OP and not very quickly.

Agreed. As it stands, however, with no lobbying system in place in order to set up scrims, we are forced to judge what is or isn't overpowered or imbalanced simply based upon DPS and random gameplay against random teams. In such scenarios, we might get most of it right, but no where near all of it, since most of the gameplay modes are team based.

On a side note: Just once, I'd like to see a teambased game that doesn't have death match as a mode. It defeats to purpose of designing a game with multiple classes, loadouts and other such goodies that help teamplay but are generally hinderances - or worse, just slightly helpful enough to tease you - in 1v1v1v1v(ad infinitum) as many of these things are in DM. DM is a dinosaur from ancient times. I say let the sucker go extinct with the rest of the dinosaurs.
"There is no true genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results; that is the definition of insanity." - Albert Einstein
"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." General George Patton
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Only two things are infinite: The universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users