HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Grouped matchmaking

Beta Twitter Review Preview Game Exclusive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GatNic3

GatNic3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:19 AM

Was curious about possibly implementing an enhanced que through which allies might be found.   Just off the top, but maybe let pilots set certain criteria say in the garage or at the matchmaking menu.  Before initiating the search it groups you with whatever player(s) fit(s) the mold.  Friends can be added to battalions with a simple click allowing peeps to play together w.o gambling on a spot empty in-game or trying to hot-join a game 1-by-1.  If anyone thinks something like this may be useful or wants to add-on please comment! :-)
-The Oracle: AMD FX-8350 @4.4Ghz 1.404v
  12GB DDr3 1600 8-8-8-25-34 1T/890FX SB/2x RADEON HD5770
  Win 7x64 SP1/WD Raptor 150GB SATA HDD/1.5TB 7200rpm SATA HDD  
  Logitech Gaming Class M/KB

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:21 AM

This should actually be in the suggestions forum, but otherwise, I'm in agreement that more matchmaking options would be great.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:24 AM

as of right meow i don't use the matchmaking since i only play with friends (we use the server browser) so adding in a party feature would be nice

#4 Varacka

Varacka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:34 AM

As would dedicated servers files for clan servers.

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:40 AM

I don't have a forum link for this, because this was told to me in-game by TJ (lead engineer on Hawken) right after CBT2 started: Community servers are planned for down the road.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#6 GatNic3

GatNic3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:42 AM

Well wanted to get some feeds before suggesting it; more like an idea at this point and a very rough one at that.   Some important details were omitted because I wanted to base them on how peeps felt about que's and matchmaking.  It almost ruined a couple of games because it was rushed into play like the CS:GO fiasco O_o

#7 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:44 AM

The exact same discussion can be had in the suggestions forum. We don't bite. Anyway. The matchmaking, as it is right now, is still early, and I'm almost certain that the devs don't intend on leaving it like it is right now.

#8 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:47 AM

i like the new counter strike go matchmaking and punishments no more joining competitive matches late on the losing side and ruining your stats

i hope something similar is considered for hawken but then again they are very different games and it all depends if they are gonna push for it to be an e-sport or not

#9 GatNic3

GatNic3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:55 AM

Agreed that it's accomplishing something; but at 1st what a nightmare.  The way I see it matchmaking needs more levels than just an absolute criteria and result/punishment.  If one person leaves the whole lot def need not suffer for it. And also remember people leave for different reasons-even hardware/software crashes.  Newer games ought to recognize abrupt disconnects due to failures as opposed to connections severed  or app unloading(i.e. [ALT+F4] or {ctrl+alt+del]) especially if penalties are involved.

#10 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 09:58 AM

...the problem is, if a client has disconnected suddenly, there's no way to reach out and ask it why it disconnected. It's already gone. And any way that the server could use to detect if the client disconnected due to a network issue (for example, having the game send a "hanging up now, bye" type of message to the server when it's shut down normally, which I'm sure most games do) can be faked by someone wanting to cheat the system.

It's not an easy problem to solve.

#11 Saunders

Saunders

Game Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yes, as some of you have indicated, grouped matchmaking is not an easy thing to implement.  But it's on our agenda :D
David Saunders | Game Designer on HAWKEN @ Adhesive Games

#12 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:11 PM

That's cool, indeed. ;)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#13 GatNic3

GatNic3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted November 13 2012 - 12:12 PM

And the gods have answered!  Was "spectator" mode ever mentioned_  Since the Holidays are approaching and a lot of us (most likely) will upgrade our rigs somewhat this season[SSD and GPU prices are low and dropping], it seems like a good way to usher in the open BETA.   Get some live streams started maybe even a mock "competition" for some seasonal gifts_  Wishful thinking :-]

#14 GuGz

GuGz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted November 13 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostGatNic3, on November 13 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

And the gods have answered!  Was "spectator" mode ever mentioned_  Since the Holidays are approaching and a lot of us (most likely) will upgrade our rigs somewhat this season[SSD and GPU prices are low and dropping], it seems like a good way to usher in the open BETA.   Get some live streams started maybe even a mock "competition" for some seasonal gifts_  Wishful thinking :-]

Ya wishful thinking indeed Gat!! :ph34r:

Edited by GuGz, November 13 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Twitter, Review, Preview, Game, Exclusive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users