HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Third person

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted August 09 2013 - 07:46 AM

If you haven't figured it out yet, this game isn't mechwarrior.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#102 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted August 09 2013 - 08:05 AM

Read my words people who want third person shooter: THIS IS AN FPS. For you who cannot comprehend that it means : FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.

Wait, it gets even better: THIRD PERSON SHOOTER HAS ADVANTAGES OVER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. Are you still with me illogical people_: WITH THIRD PERSON I CAN LOOK AROUND CORNERS WITHOUT BEING SHOT TO OBLIVION. This is the part that is completely insane. :THIS GIVES WAY MORE SITUATION AWARENESS THEN FIRST PERSON VIEW EVEN IF THEY HAVE RADAR. This is the last part... are you with me_ : THIS MEANS THAT PEOPLE IN THIRD PERSON CAN CAMP, LAY AMBUSHES THAT ARE WAY MORE DEADLY AND LESS EASY TO AVOID THEN AMBUSHES SET BY PEOPLE IN FIRST PERSON VIEW.

So "NO" Third person shooter is a terrible idea.

By the way isn't this thread like from ancient times_

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#103 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted August 09 2013 - 09:21 AM

If its so old why do you have to copy and paste your redundant stuff in those threads_
And how old are you that you still dont understand_ We KNOW that its an advantage over 1stpv. But we arent kids that start exploding and raging as soon as something probably unbalanced is mentioned in a game that is completely made of unbalance. We are people who want to have fun playing a game. And we want to see our mechs. I dont give a flying f**k about rankings and competition and schoolkids and unemployed people and whoever. My time is precious. What i want from this game is entertainment. THAT is the only thing i am willing to pay for.

#104 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted August 09 2013 - 09:36 AM

How are there three of these threads going simultaneously and this one is even up to six pages_

"What Is HAWKEN_
HAWKEN is a free-to-play, multiplayer PC game that places you inside a mechanized war machine on the battlefield of a dystopian world.
This strategic, fast-paced, first-person shooter features incredible alien landscapes, customizable and upgradable mechs, and dynamic gameplay across multiple competitive game modes."

The only third-person will be when you are repairing your mech, or spectating. /thread
Call me Nos.

#105 Therris

Therris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted September 06 2013 - 01:23 PM

Who cares about promotional taglines_ Mechwarrior was also declared as FPS in all promotional materials, and they still managed to evolve.

The balance argument is moot if they simply offered separate servers for third person view. That way 1st and 3rd perspectives would never be playing together...But frankly I think they should just offer a view toggle and let people work it out... maybe provide a cover mechanism that switches automatically to third person if you're in 1st person view so you can see around corners. This has been done before.

I admit I'm a 3rd person fan whether I'm in a mech cockpit or not. I love the experience of actually seeing my character do the cool things I'm making him/her do...  I feel like 3rd person games like Ghost Recon, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted etc. deliver such a better experience than their FPS counterparts.

1st person shooters in general feel like wearing a restrictive mask or helmet and looking through a small window. That's not immersion and has no relationship with being 'inside your head' in real life... with all it's peripheral awareness.  

In theory 1st person should deliver more 'immersion' but I've never found that to be the case, unless you consider wearing peripheral blinders or wearing a motorcycle helmet in everyday life normal.  Zero peripheral awareness tunnel vision is not anything like walking around in real life.

That being said, being in a cockpit scenario does seem more conducive to 1st person than running around on foot.  BUT it seems to also necessitate the use of Oculus Rift or some mechanism for looking around.

Frankly I just hope they fix the Nvidia Surround issue. At least then I would feel like giving this game another shot, because I love the art direction, and I could possibly get into it if I could play it with three/triple displays.

#106 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted September 06 2013 - 02:05 PM

Wait, you think that hovering outside from an omniscient perspective controlling a robot remotely is more immersive than being in the cockpit of that mech looking directly outwards from it_ Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a bizarro world and the real one will come into focus when I wake up...

And its not a promotional tag line. It is the mission statement from the devs.
Call me Nos.

#107 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted September 06 2013 - 02:22 PM

Therris, i know what you mean. Its like watching an actionscene from a first person camera. It can be cool, but most often it is just shaky and limiting. Scene awareness is much higher with the wider fov and also much more realistic. With the fixed view in walking direction you cant reflect head movements or anything. Yes it gets you immersed. But not in a mech. It gets you immersed in a a mech based first person shooter.

#108 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted September 06 2013 - 02:24 PM

I played in 3th person view in alpha & early beta till Devs disabled that option.

Have to say this - it was FANTASTIC experience. That game is born for 3th person perspective! Those bipeds animations, hit effects, sparks, smoke, explosions... All were superb!

But I undestand that would cause serious balance issues in multi. It's funny though that those 'mafia like clans' from US already using that 'disabled' option to make youtube videos;-)

There's at least one way to introduce TPP to Hawken: bring us 'one team coop' against incoming waves of AI enemies! Or the Devs could release a solo scenario missions for extra few bucks_ I really really really would love to see my pricy paintjob on my mech's butt.. not only during repairs!

#109 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted September 06 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hawken has so many ways where that would be a great feature.
For example giving us access to demo recording, replaying the matches in 3rdpv in ultra settings and taking footage for videos tho show off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users