HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Really not impressed

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Carrioncrow

Carrioncrow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:09 AM

I figured after the last time I played this game (Alpha) that the beta's would make some huge stride forwards.  They haven't.

I'm not sure what everyone is so excited about, this basically boils down to a COD game with less weapons, useless abilities and an overall blah concept.

Assaults - In siege mode you get annihilated before your weapons can cycle.  Hell you'll be lucky if you can deploy before going up in flames.  What's the point of this_  Supposed to take less damage_  Your way off if that's the case, way way off.

Parts - Do nothing, just looks_  Go play some Armored Core, there is nothing here for you.

Talent points - They do basically nothing the bonus are slight and unoriginal.  If you unlocked some special moves or abilities that would be different.  You take 2% less damage.  Whooptiee

Weapons - Are all pretty much stupid.  

Why only 2 weapons_  - This game really needs a 3rd weapon even if it's a pea-shooter that you can fire continuously on a middle hard point.

Tow launcher - blea, be one thing if once you fire it you could guide the rocket like a designated laser sight.  But all you can do is blow it up_  By the time the rocket gets there your target is 1/2 way across the map already.

Assault Rifle / SMG - So what's the difference again_ and Why would someone take the SMG over the Assault Rifle_  It's not like there is weight, or ammo considerations.  Copy and Paste weapons.  - Fire your weapons guy -

Hellfire - More like limp fire, lets assume you can hit something (you can't) but lets assume you can, AR or Rifle still does more damage.  Why the multiple missiles  Just give us a single missile that moves about oh 1000% times faster.  At the pace your Hawk's move around the flight time just ends up hitting buildings.

Grenade launcher - now goes 10 feet.  15 if you go for optimal stare at the stars sight line.  See AR / SMG comment about firing your weapons guy

Shotguns - Very blah.  Nothing pops, nothing feels like you are rocking the guys world, just a silly sounding "Poont"

Rifle/Sniper - Just horrible.  

Damage - You have HP bars on robots.  There is no benefit to hitting someone in the back, in the head, in the arms, in the legs you just take down same HP.  Silly and stupid.  Get some hit locations up, certain locations do more damage and or destroy weapons, legs, arms, sensors ect ect.

Why don't you try Doubling or even Quadrupling the armor HP points, take the above suggestion, remove repair feature unless you pay for it somehow or *GASP* use it as a team ability to help your teammates and go from there.

Sensors - You have none, big wide world of possibilities here that you just ignore.  Gratz.  This is not a compliment.

Team tactics - There is no team.  There is simply a bunch of "Me's" running around.  First off show some ingenuity and put in things like "Ammo" that way at the very least you can have another guy carry a "Deployable Ammo Resupplier" that will replenish ammo and he gets points for it.  See now we have team work.  

Of course there are a million suggestions I could throw here but at this point Hawken is so hopelessly outclassed by any 1985 mech game and every game since I feel it's pointless if it hasn't occurred to you yet.

What hawken has going for it - Graphics look decent.

But that doesn't make up for Flawed concept, unoriginal game play, uninspired weapons, lack of basic rudimentary game design, horrible skill system, and a overall lack of a fun factor.

Seriously it's not fun at all.

I get that you put Hours and Hours to try and make this game.  My advice is try harder or get new people, this game in it's current state is a waste of space.

#2 NUCLEARSHARKHEAD

NUCLEARSHARKHEAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationIN THE HOUSE FOOL!

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:33 AM

I think it's fun. Who pooped in your cereal this morning_

#3 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:35 AM

I'm sorry you feel that away about the game, but I would have to disagree with you on the majority of your post. These past beta events have been established to stress tests the servers and nail down some of the technical jargon that goes on behind the scenes. I'm not sure of this is your first beta event, but this is usually what happens when a game is going under beta tests.

Come CBE3 there is supposed to be a decent amount of content additions to the game, and I'm sure there will be more to come at open beta.

So till then you can actually play HAWKEN and try to get better at the game so you aren't so bitter about it. Give it some time before flaming on the forums at "how bad" the game is and how it's a "waste of space".

Or you can choose to not participate in the CBEs and wait till the game goes into open beta a month from now to renew your judgement.

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

#4 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostNUCLEARSHARKHEAD, on November 10 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

yea! Whoever pooped needs to scoop that out!

EDIT: Fun Fact: Did you know p.oop is censored here_ see watch: fuzzy bunny

Edited by Astrolis, November 10 2012 - 09:43 AM.

Posted Image

#5 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostCarrioncrow, on November 10 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

Assaults - In siege mode you get annihilated before your weapons can cycle.  Hell you'll be lucky if you can deploy before going up in flames.  What's the point of this_  Supposed to take less damage_  Your way off if that's the case, way way off.
You should be well off to know and try to take as little damage as possible while dealing as much as you can. If you can't seem to do that, you're doing something wrong, not the mech. "Supposed to take less damage_" What do you mean_ Their ability_ That's weapon coolant, to reduce the heat you build up when you shoot.

Parts - Do nothing, just looks_  Go play some Armored Core, there is nothing here for you.
The bodyshop parts_ Customization, there would be a whole lot more "PAY 2 WIN" threads if they actually did something. I'd like if you could customize a mech's appearance and have it actually affect its Armor, movement, etc. but it is meant to be a cosmetic feature for balance.

If you mean internal parts, they really do make a difference, more than they really should in my opinion.

Talent points - They do basically nothing the bonus are slight and unoriginal.  If you unlocked some special moves or abilities that would be different.  You take 2% less damage.  Whooptiee
So, you want talent points that give a clear and significant advantage_ That will tip the favor so that anyone with a leveled up mech would faceroll anyone that they come across 1v1 if they aren't clearly better skill-wise_

That should never happen, we don't need RPG-like PvP here.

Weapons - Are all pretty much stupid.  
Is it not too steampunk, cyberpunk, or hipster enough for you_ Please go into detail.

Tow launcher - blea, be one thing if once you fire it you could guide the rocket like a designated laser sight.  But all you can do is blow it up_  By the time the rocket gets there your target is 1/2 way across the map already.
You could always, you know, lead your TOWs_ If you're trying to hit people across the map, you should of used a Sharpshooter. TOWs do very well in close and mid-range, the latter especially if you're experienced with using free-flight rockets in other FPS.

Assault Rifle / SMG - So what's the difference again_ and Why would someone take the SMG over the Assault Rifle_  It's not like there is weight, or ammo considerations.  Copy and Paste weapons.  - Fire your weapons guy -
The SMC needs some reworking, its basically a higher rate of fire, shorter range version of the AR. The SMC doesn't really do well DPS wise with how large its spread is. It needs a buff to be a reliable close-range weapon when put up against Assault Rifles.

Hellfire - More like limp fire, lets assume you can hit something (you can't) but lets assume you can, AR or Rifle still does more damage.  Why the multiple missiles  Just give us a single missile that moves about oh 1000% times faster.  At the pace your Hawk's move around the flight time just ends up hitting buildings.
Do you even use your weapon utility to lock-on_ I swear, 9 times out of 10 someone complaining about Hellfires not hitting anything, has never used the lock-on utility. Also clearly not to be used unless your target is clear in the open. Then its an easy 1/3 Armor purge if you can help lead it a bit. Hellfires do need some help as well, but even then you can still hit mechs at least half the time if you just use the weapon utility for once.

#6 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:46 AM

NOTE: Double post because apparently my original was too big. Cut into two parts, because apparently it was a larger wall of text than expected.

Grenade launcher - now goes 10 feet.  15 if you go for optimal stare at the stars sight line.  See AR / SMG comment about firing your weapons guy
Is it too hard for you to aim with_ Grenades are great at close range, TOWs at mid, Sabots at long. I don't see an issue here, if every secondary acted the same under a different skin you'd cry out "copy/paste weapons" again.

Rifle/Sniper - Just horrible.  
High burst damage is horrible_ Taking out half a Class-A's Armor in one Slug/Sabot salvo is horrible_ You clearly are missing out what decent Sharpshooter pilots are loving. I'm pretty sure in this case, it isn't the weapon combination is bad, but the person who can't utilize it. Get more practice.

Damage - You have HP bars on robots.  There is no benefit to hitting someone in the back, in the head, in the arms, in the legs you just take down same HP.  Silly and stupid.  Get some hit locations up, certain locations do more damage and or destroy weapons, legs, arms, sensors ect ect.
Because the pacing of HAWKEN makes it too luck dependent. The spread and damage radius would be inconsistent, if you attack a mech's leg you'd be hitting both, as well as the body from spread or explosion radius.

There aren't any plans on implementing a mode that will allow this yet, maybe once all the more important things are done, they may revise a mode they may dub as "hardcore" for the mech-sim audience to probably appreciate.

Why don't you try Doubling or even Quadrupling the armor HP points, take the above suggestion, remove repair feature unless you pay for it somehow or *GASP* use it as a team ability to help your teammates and go from there.
I'd like a separate game mode for high Armor, Fuel capacity with no repair/regen, but that may come at a later date if there is enough support. Also hinting at P2W content isn't really helpful, unless of course you actually need them. Do you_

Team tactics - There is no team.  There is simply a bunch of "Me's" running around.  First off show some ingenuity and put in things like "Ammo" that way at the very least you can have another guy carry a "Deployable Ammo Resupplier" that will replenish ammo and he gets points for it.  See now we have team work.  
Welcome to Multiplayer, where there is a lack of team communication which makes cooperation difficult aside from the times where teams hunt in packs, and actually stick near by allies that retreat to repair. I like the ammo/repair guy ideas though, but how they would work is something best put in a seperate discussion.

Of course there are a million suggestions I could throw here but at this point Hawken is so hopelessly outclassed by any 1985 mech game and every game since I feel it's pointless if it hasn't occurred to you yet.
I hear a lot of similar things from mech-sim players, I'm surprised you didn't get the memo before you tried it. I sure did, which is why I'm still here. I'd be long gone to MW if I wanted to stay with that series. I'd rather not have a mech game that's just like every other, because why wouldn't I just go back to them instead_ VARIETY is rare nowadays, considering how many people seem to moan loudly if a game tries to do something different.

You have plenty of options to be a giant, hulking tank on legs with arms that can carry multiple weapon systems, with features for seperate system/part damage, systems with limited ammo and heat build-ups, and many mech internal/external parts that affect gameplay.

The developers have acknowledged that they have some MechWarrior fans on their game, and may introduce a game mode or two just for the mech-style those fans enjoy but it isn't here right now and there are bigger plans that need to be put down before they can do such.

Edited by IceTonic, November 10 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#7 Toryne

Toryne

Ghost of Crion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:52 AM

Honestly this is boils down to a simple rage post with a simple answer. This game isn't for you /thread

#8 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 10 2012 - 10:03 AM

Not sure if I should really try reasoning with this guy.  I'll try a few lines.

(Assaults - In siege mode you get annihilated before your weapons can cycle. Hell you'll be lucky if you can deploy before going up in flames. What's the point of this_ Supposed to take less damage_ Your way off if that's the case, way way off.)
   assaults deploying_  Are you referring to Brawlers and Rocketeers Turret mode_  Turret at the moment is a mode that relies on good team work to get the most out of it, it's certainly not as newb friendly as other skills but still has it's uses.  I like the concept but rather it's strong enough is still being worked out.

(Parts - Do nothing, just looks_ Go play some Armored Core, there is nothing here for you.)
  Armored Core is awsome, one of my favorite games.  Still I can see the benefit of the parts not be connected to stats.  This gives the player the freedom to make the mech look how they want without being tied by stats.  A little low on parts at the moment but plenty more coming.

(Talent points - They do basically nothing the bonus are slight and unoriginal. If you unlocked some special moves or abilities that would be different. You take 2% less damage. Whooptiee)
  The idea is to spec a mech to favor certain qualities depending on your play style and if working as team that is focusing on a overall strategy.  Not the best in a creative sense as in more abilities but the devs have stated they are reworking some things regarding this which we will be seeing in CE3 so I'm not concerned about this are just yet until we see more.

(Weapons - Are all pretty much stupid.)
Machine guns, rifiles,rockets, missles, grenades, not really sure of your point here.  Armored core/Mechwarrior had all of these things, though haven't seen lasers yet.

(Why only 2 weapons_ - This game really needs a 3rd weapon even if it's a pea-shooter that you can fire continuously on a middle hard point.)
  So far each mech starts with 3 weapons though you already know this seeing your line about the SMG/assault.  Currently you get more at lvl 20 but again we're expected to see more.  I don't expect to see every mech has access to every weapon, otherwise there is no little point in the class system aside from the class specific abilities.

(Tow launcher - blea, be one thing if once you fire it you could guide the rocket like a designated laser sight. But all you can do is blow it up_ By the time the rocket gets there your target is 1/2 way across the map already.)
  One of my favorite weapons actually.  It's not a long range weapon by any stretch of the imagination and I usually fire it in that situation just to get the enemy to take cover or get that lucky shot(which hints at a player who isn't skilled or wasn't paying attention).  At mid range with practice it's easy to lead targets for direct hits and if you miss you can denoate it to still get damage.  This is also good for hitting mech hiding around corners.

(Assault Rifle / SMG - So what's the difference again_ and Why would someone take the SMG over the Assault Rifle_ It's not like there is weight, or ammo considerations. Copy and Paste weapons. - Fire your weapons guy -)
   Basicly machine guns favoring different stats though I haven't discovered why I'd take SMG over AR yet though I'll be testing the SMG tonight to see how it fairs.  Weight is specific mech class which effects speed and hp.

(Hellfire - More like limp fire, lets assume you can hit something (you can't) but lets assume you can, AR or Rifle still does more damage. Why the multiple missiles Just give us a single missile that moves about oh 1000% times faster. At the pace your Hawk's move around the flight time just ends up hitting buildings.)
  I haven't used these though I fight against people with them.  They pack a good punch, though I wouldn't be against them being just a little faster.  I'd have to come back to this one after I play using them to get a better understanding.

(Grenade launcher - now goes 10 feet. 15 if you go for optimal stare at the stars sight line. See AR / SMG comment about firing your weapons guy)
   Powerful weapon, good for mine laying as well. Not very long range but I don't expect it to be really.

(Shotguns - Very blah. Nothing pops, nothing feels like you are rocking the guys world, just a silly sounding "Poont")
   2nd highest DPS in game at the moment.  So far the weapon sounds are decentive but not as loud as you seem to want them.  In a way I don't want them louder since I want to be able to hear things around me over my own gunfire.

(Rifle/Sniper - Just horrible.)
Just good sound but I'm guessing you want louder cannon size sound effect.

(Damage - You have HP bars on robots. There is no benefit to hitting someone in the back, in the head, in the arms, in the legs you just take down same HP. Silly and stupid. Get some hit locations up, certain locations do more damage and or destroy weapons, legs, arms, sensors ect ect.)
   No benefit them in the back_  You have any idea how many people I've wrecked by dropping on top of them or flanking!  Armored core worked the same way.  Mechwarrior had these effects of course but then this isn't really mechwarrior.   While there is plenty of benefit to hitting the back,  I imagine gameplay would definitely be very different if each part had it's own hitbox.  I'll have to make a post about this later and see people thoughts how it'd effect the game at it's current pace.

(Why don't you try Doubling or even Quadrupling the armor HP points, take the above suggestion, remove repair feature unless you pay for it somehow or *GASP* use it as a team ability to help your teammates and go from there.)
  If we removed Repair I can see the doubling or Quadrup idea somewhat.  Mech on mech would last a lot longer but weapon heat would probably have to be adjusted since you'd overheat before you could finish eachother.  Pay for repair feature_ Real life cash or in game point or money system_  Lost me there.    Be team supported isn't a terrible idea though as it is now, players can cover each other since you are vurnerable while doing this and the heal item helps in that regard as well.

(Sensors - You have none, big wide world of possibilities here that you just ignore. Gratz. This is not a compliment.)
  Do you understand the radar mechanic_  The system is very interesting to me in the sense, you don't show up on enemy radar if you don't boost or shot.  You can increase your radar range or make yourself more difficult to detect even while firing.  Plus there is the jammer and radar dish both of which benefit the entire team.

(Team tactics - There is no team. There is simply a bunch of "Me's" running around. First off show some ingenuity and put in things like "Ammo" that way at the very least you can have another guy carry a "Deployable Ammo Resupplier" that will replenish ammo and he gets points for it. See now we have team work.)
First you need a mic for effective communication.  Then you need people you know or at least are willing to listen to you.  I've played enough games to know how vital teamwork is especially in this game.  I've turned lopsided games around in siege mode by taking the mic and giving orders to my team, most of the time they listen and we end up winning.  My favorite game was joining a siege game in progress with points 1 to 3 so one more hit and we were dead.  I took the mic as usual and gave orders to my team to focus on an area as the situation changed with my two snipes ordered to snipe and harrass the hell of the team if enemy gathering at the other points, great win.  Anyway there's plenty of things a team can do to work together but don't expect much if all you do is join a random match.   As for ammo, I prefer the heat system since it allows the game to maintain a higher pace which I enjoy.

Ok I'm done.  Hope you enjoy my points but come on, debate.  I want you to give me a reason for something you don't like and make me think at the very least, "Ok I can see why he doesn't like that or why he prefers something else"   So far I'm enjoying the heck out of this game and the skill ceiling is turning out to be very high.  My goal is to become commander of a team and things are looking to get better.   If this game isn't for you it isn't for you, luckily the world has lots of other good mech games like mechwarrior, zone of enders, Armored core, Chrome Hounds.  Hawken to me is my new favorite flavor so I'm glad to be playing.
When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

#9 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 10 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostNUCLEARSHARKHEAD, on November 10 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

ahhhh you fuzzy bunny I read your post just as I was drinking water
When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

#10 BLue_PreDator

BLue_PreDator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 11:09 AM

I like the game the way it is. It has a nice fun flow to it. Off-course it needs some tweaks here and there. FANTASY ART at its finest. That is VERY VERY VERY rare these days. This game is for people that like mech, but not MW type gameplay.

#11 Turic

Turic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationRussia - Ukrane, Voronezh - Donetzk

Posted November 10 2012 - 12:01 PM

i agree only with one thing in this post - i want more different parts, that will affect gameplay style.
at other side, i understand, that the same people will complane about "they smarter, than me").
hawken gun even now, if developers can add something more - it will be great/
http://hawken.ru/ - Русский сайт об игре [RUssian site]
http://vk.com/hawken - сообщество вКонтакте [VKcom]

#12 Carrioncrow

Carrioncrow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:05 PM

@DDWarrior

I get it, it's fast paced.  I know fast paced.  This isn't fast paced what Hawken Is, is caught right in that middle ground where weapons are extremely cumbersome for the pace of combat.  So either you need to speed the game up, or slow it down.

Which is why I called it a COD clone but with robots and bad weapons.

Yes the AR/SMG is unoriginal, all other games grasp the AR / SMG concept and implement it with success, Hawken doesn't  This is because whoever designed them doesn't know what they are doing.  They simply made a gun then copy and pasted the same gun and stacked a few more blips of damage on it.  The AR should have a lot slower ROF but a lot higher damage and range.

Right now they are both basically confined to the point-blank area to do anything

Grenade Launcher - Is cherry picked from Quake 1, they just put a new skin on it.  It's been done before.  Why not make into a true indirect weapon where you can pick a location on the overview map and rain down fire to push targets out of cover_  No_  Thought not.

Sensors - yes I know they have sensors, the ranges and manipulation of this is so shallow your lucky there is even ANY water in this kitty pool.

Repair - What I mean by pay for it is, give up something   The whole idea behind just about any mech game out there is you only have so many "points" to configure your robot and picking one thing is usually at the cost of another.  It's once again another reason I labeled this a COD clone, sure your hurt and have to "Stay out of combat" until the "Red goes away"  You could replace ever Robot in this game with guys in Kevlar and it would be the same.

3rd weapon - Maybe I didn't convey my point well enough.  Every mech should have 3 weapon hard points   Only having 2 effective weapons smacks of so many other COD clones, except you don't reload, don't run out of ammo and are limited by what you have.  Not having a 3rd weapon takes this from being a mech game and makes it a simple FPS.  Even if the 3rd weapon hard point was a tiny chain gun or rifle, or laser or something that allows you to keep up some pressure while you are waiting for my big boy weapons to cool down or cycle.

Parts - See the above about repair.  Every mech/robot game is themed around having so many "Points" You take these legs you get more armor but at the cost of speed and turning ability.  You take this chest you take this chest you lose Armor and turning but gain speed.  You take these arms you become weak to ballistic weapons but gain significant armor against explosives, ect ect ect.  Not rocket science.

Team Tactics - Isn't talking to your teammates, that's communication  

Team tactics is one of your teammates in a fast Robot (I call them robots because I can't stand calling them mechs or armored suits - they fail at both) is dropping sensor drones deep in their back field, now you see hostile targets begin showing up on your radar and use your Grenade launcher or Mortar to launch indirect attacks on their position.  Another teammate sees the enemy (Due to the senor drones) and realizes what path they are taking and quickly moves to mine their likely route they are taking and set up an ambush.

That is team tactics.

#13 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:12 PM

Go back to COD we won't miss you.

I have enjoyed my experience so far.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#14 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:25 PM

>complains about not being able to hit/kill with pretty much every weapon in the game
>can't long range GL
Sounds like a pilot issue to me
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#15 Garuda

Garuda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSailing the Seven Seas with my trusty Beluga Whale steed

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:28 PM

A little late but...

Brace yourself OP,
Hawken-Players are coming.

And personally I think this game is great, what else were you expecting for a mecha-fps game_ Dynamic switch flipping_
Posted Image

#16 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:32 PM

i also find i dont enjoy games im bad at. like "the sims"

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#17 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationOTG Headquarters

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:34 PM

Yep. I enjoy at a ton. One of the best I've had a chance to test in a while. I get what it is and isn't. I have many years experience playing all sorts of FPS games. I don't pretend it is amy other game....it is what it is...and I like it

:P

#18 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted November 10 2012 - 06:38 PM

ITT: OP doesn't understand the game he is playing and rather than becoming introspective and pondering how he is fuzzy bunny up or watching people around him who are OBVIOUSLY more successful he made a QQ thread.
Posted Image

#19 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostCarrioncrow, on November 10 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Yes the AR/SMG is unoriginal, all other games grasp the AR / SMG concept and implement it with success, Hawken doesn't  This is because whoever designed them doesn't know what they are doing.  They simply made a gun then copy and pasted the same gun and stacked a few more blips of damage on it.  The AR should have a lot slower ROF but a lot higher damage and range.
This is what a Beta is for. It is well known about the issues between AR / SMC, which is why  there needs to be more feedback to make them vary more. Of course, maybe if there were more internal testers (not Alpha/Beta testers) then they may have realized this way back.

Grenade Launcher - Is cherry picked from Quake 1, they just put a new skin on it.  It's been done before.  Why not make into a true indirect weapon where you can pick a location on the overview map and rain down fire to push targets out of cover_  No_  Thought not.
I personally would find a mortar/aerial strike something great for heavy mechs but that wouldn't suit Infiltrator at all.

A light mech having to open the map (which disallows movement right now) to target indirect strikes_ That's laughable, and of course would allow more players to just hide and camp to spam such a weapon. It would be more suitable on a heavy mech like Rocketeer, and if you were only able to see a holo-display of the arc for a mortar-like secondary. Which also, has been suggested.

Repair - What I mean by pay for it is, give up something   The whole idea behind just about any mech game out there is you only have so many "points" to configure your robot and picking one thing is usually at the cost of another.  It's once again another reason I labeled this a COD clone, sure your hurt and have to "Stay out of combat" until the "Red goes away"  You could replace ever Robot in this game with guys in Kevlar and it would be the same.
I can see the point in this one, of course if it was removed the mechs, or "bots" you would prefer to say, need to be more durable considering most encounters usually leave the surviving robot pretty damaged. Then it would of course slow things down, as it would take much longer to kill bots, more so if you don't adjust the heat build-up for the adjusted Armor. Otherwise it would feel more like older non-ADS shooters with a mech skin

HAWKEN would sure feel like CS, Combat Arms, Project Blackout, etc. if you sped up the game, kept Armor values the same and removed Repair as a feature. On the other hand, it would feel like a simplistic mech-sim where the game was slowed down, with boosted Armor values, the lack of Repair, etc. What kind of mech game do you want HAWKEN to be_

3rd weapon - Maybe I didn't convey my point well enough.  Every mech should have 3 weapon hard points   Only having 2 effective weapons smacks of so many other COD clones, except you don't reload, don't run out of ammo and are limited by what you have.  Not having a 3rd weapon takes this from being a mech game and makes it a simple FPS.  Even if the 3rd weapon hard point was a tiny chain gun or rifle, or laser or something that allows you to keep up some pressure while you are waiting for my big boy weapons to cool down or cycle.

Considering heat build-up, a 3rd weapon probably wouldn't work well unless you slowed down the game and boosted Armor/Heat capacity. Most primaries act as pressure until your secondary reloads/cycles, maybe if you were a Rocketeer or a Sharpshooter (with Slug) you could use a miniature PD-Vulcan mounted on your head. Then again, where would the controls be for it_ Or would you rather it be something automatic, so it basically is just an MG/Rocket Turret strapped on your face_

Parts - See the above about repair.  Every mech/robot game is themed around having so many "Points" You take these legs you get more armor but at the cost of speed and turning ability.  You take this chest you take this chest you lose Armor and turning but gain speed.  You take these arms you become weak to ballistic weapons but gain significant armor against explosives, ect ect ect.  Not rocket science.

I'm pretty sure there is a post somewhere that they want to keep this cosmetic. As nice as it would of been, there already is Optimization and Internals, they don't really have plans to change the Bodyshop, considering they would have to make such parts available for Hawken Points after as well unless they put up a varied design (with the same stats) for MP.

Its not like these parts would make a world of difference, or make it anymore unique compared to Optimization, besides that they add penalties. Maybe with more constructive suggestions on implementing it, and ensuring it would work well alongside current stat-boosting/changing features, this would of been a more acceptable point than your previous statements.

#20 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:57 PM

Team tactics is one of your teammates in a fast Robot (I call them robots because I can't stand calling them mechs or armored suits - they fail at both) is dropping sensor drones deep in their back field, now you see hostile targets begin showing up on your radar and use your Grenade launcher or Mortar to launch indirect attacks on their position.  Another teammate sees the enemy (Due to the senor drones) and realizes what path they are taking and quickly moves to mine their likely route they are taking and set up an ambush.

That is team tactics.

...You've played Chrome hounds haven't you_!

But note, communication is a part of tactics otherwise how do people know what to do.

Edited by DDwarrior, November 10 2012 - 09:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users