HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Night combat_

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Poll: Should there be night combat_ (1110 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be night combat_

1. YES AWESOME IDEA (779 votes [76.52%])

Percentage of vote: 76.52%

2. only if its easy to implement (199 votes [19.55%])

Percentage of vote: 19.55%

3. no i like photosynthesis (22 votes [2.16%])

Percentage of vote: 2.16%

4. meh (18 votes [1.77%])

Percentage of vote: 1.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qwet

Qwet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmesa AZ

Posted April 20 2011 - 12:48 AM

Well watching the Trailer shows that there are different times of day to play in but, there is only one shot of a sniper on a building in a low light setting possible dusk or dawn.  I'm wondering how people would feel about night combat or if it could be confirmed_

Personally the thought of night combat in those environments gives me the chills just think about it your visibility would be lower making escaping easier, guerrilla warfare tactics anyone_ Bullets and rockets would stand out against darkened environments and, it would be easier to spot muzzle flare from long range snipers and firefights.

#2 NaloaC

NaloaC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 01:30 AM

A low light environment would be fun to run around in. Watching streams of tracers streak across the screen with bursts of light and rocket trails illuminate the corners of the map.

If it's easy to implement, then it would definately be a nice addition, but I am not really up to date with what the UDK is capable of.

#3 ElSalo

ElSalo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted April 20 2011 - 01:46 AM

Night combat + smoke grandees = close combat.

Sounds cool. Just add thermal vision.

#4 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:03 AM

I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm ignorant to the process involved when creating dynamic or artificial lighting in a game's software engine. If it's not too much to ask for, then I'd welcome such an addition. But if it doesn't happen, I won't lose any sleep over it.

#5 IV Lucidity

IV Lucidity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 11:51 AM

Night combat would be sick. Day time can get a bit boring after a couple thousand matches.
I come from The Flood.

#6 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 21 2011 - 11:37 PM

Night combat is awesome. As long as not every map is night combat.

Heck, I remember when I used to play AVP2, some maps were really dark with only some lights near buildings. It was like that to enhance the scare factor when there could be aliens creeping around in the dark places.

Probably those kinds of night lights won't very applicable in Hawken where things are on a bit grander scale, I mean there will supposedly be battleships that we can summon. Night lights won't do you much good when you have a battleship on your ass.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#7 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 01:33 PM

I hope the battleship can only be summoned by a team thats being dominated, that would be one hell of way to even up an unfair fight.

#8 Qwet

Qwet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmesa AZ

Posted April 22 2011 - 01:50 PM

I dont mean turn every map into night i mean maybe when in selecting the map you can select or vote select the time of day (depends on how they set up map selections.) but night combat would be a very different fight i think than most people are used to playing which might prove to be an enjoyable challenge.

well i think that depends if the battle ship is player controlled or a bot. if player controlled it would also depend what kind of optics would be available for the battle ship if it has just a regular view like the mechs  then in turn dark environments reduce visibility and the over all value of the battle ship sure it may be big and mean but at night it may not see as well where as it has a huge glowing exhaust. target practice anyone_

also in the videos that battle ship has a health system just like the mechs so it probably can be killed. though it is shown to have a health of a whopping 24000 where mechs seem to range between 300-500 still 6 people shooting at the big slow object in the sky it might only take a half a minute to kill. depending on your weapon load out.

#9 iiDeadSeriousii

iiDeadSeriousii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 06:21 PM

Not only would I like night maps, but I'd also like dusk maps that could possibly move into night maps as the match went on.

#10 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 07:50 PM

Sounds good, might be really easy to implement depending on how their lighting is set-up.

#11 LordIron

LordIron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 01:32 AM

I'd also like fog and steam as elements of the map. Both at night (in neon lit parts of the maps) would be awesome! Also a map in bright moon-light would be cool. Just keep your current art-style!

#12 Zutha

Zutha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 02:45 AM

Would be good, unfortunately people will turn up gamma for advantage :(

#13 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 24 2011 - 06:46 AM

Speaking from experience, Nightvision is a fairly easy process to do.  Aside from any shader effects you might want to spice it up with, its little more than replacing all the visible colors with a gradient and bumping up brightness/contrast  And i'd love to have some NV nightfights.
Mech time all the time

#14 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 25 2011 - 02:48 PM

That would be solved by putting and turning on some few lamps over the scenario. Plus extra environment light settings plus some night skybox.

And if you want, by an extra drop-down list in the Lobby. I've to admit that this would be very cool, indeed ;).

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#15 vesper1

vesper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 01:58 PM

Night combat with the right setup (low lite, flashbangs, heatseekers, infrared, etc.) would be AWESOME indeed :-)

Couple this with the ability to power your machine down to decrease/nullify its heat signature, effectively becoming just a grey blob amongst other grey blobs for the sensors of the opposing team, and you'd get something crazy - a STEALTH game with mecha in it :-)
Recruiting to the Bad Luck XIII Hawken Clan - interested_ Send me a PM.
[almost there...] http://hawkenwiki.net/ (all hail Ashfire908)

#16 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:02 PM

I'm an AvP fan as well. So I know what you mean with that. Although I doubt the guys devving this game will put such amount of sophistication into their first game tittle. That's my personal opinion though. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#17 MoKnows

MoKnows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 04:39 PM

lamps, lighting effects would be great. Also certain mechs should have options fro night vision and thermal vision and even electromagnetic vision. We are in the future right_ Easy color overlay for constructing the graphics.

#18 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 03 2011 - 10:04 PM

I would love to see some nice looking FLIR

sharp black and white with hot objects in stark contrast
Mech time all the time

#19 Man_Eating_Boar

Man_Eating_Boar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 03:36 AM

I approve of this Idea.

#20 legionwolff1

legionwolff1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 06:18 PM

This would be very nice. Especially if they had dynamic lighting with street lights etc. adding extra random bits of light. I love night combat it adds so much to making the game different and new. Good suggestion.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users