HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Night combat_

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Poll: Should there be night combat_ (1110 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be night combat_

1. YES AWESOME IDEA (779 votes [76.52%])

Percentage of vote: 76.52%

2. only if its easy to implement (199 votes [19.55%])

Percentage of vote: 19.55%

3. no i like photosynthesis (22 votes [2.16%])

Percentage of vote: 2.16%

4. meh (18 votes [1.77%])

Percentage of vote: 1.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OMF

OMF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted May 06 2011 - 08:19 AM

only if there was thermal vision which people couldn't just have on all the time and, importantly,  couldnt camp wtih

#22 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 06 2011 - 09:32 AM

i don't see how thermal vision would lead to camping.  and it wouldn't make any sense to not be able to have it on as long as you want.

but there should definitely be drawbacks as well as advantages to using it.

like mechs standing in hot areas like steam vents being hard to see, shut down mechs disappearing from thermal, mechs that are moving slowly and running cool not showing up easily, meanwhile mechs running hot and being active glowing brightly.
Mech time all the time

#23 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 06 2011 - 08:25 PM

lavalamp1138 said:

I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm ignorant to the process involved when creating dynamic or artificial lighting in a game's software engine. If it's not too much to ask for, then I'd welcome such an addition. But if it doesn't happen, I won't lose any sleep over it.

I agree.
Above the sky, beneath the stars.
Is where I soar, and your world is no more.

http://i306.photobuc...597d4c3e0b5.jpg
^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#24 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 06 2011 - 11:33 PM

Absolutely love this idea., maybe make an option before starting a match for night/day
10000100010010010011101000101000 : SickDownlink
Posted Image

#25 Nine9Six

Nine9Six

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted August 18 2011 - 10:33 AM

Made an account just to suggest this! Well this and rain. They seem like good features to alter and add mileage to maps/levels. With the Mech, you have the perfect opportunity to add to the immersive experience with subtle rain drops dripping down the windshield (executed fairly well in Gran Turismo 5 for example). On a side note, much like CoD and their use of blood and red to signify being hit, perhaps oil gets splattered on the shield as well_ Just some thoughts,  I dig the sparks I've seen btw.

Good luck to you and your team Khang! I'm keeping an eye out for this.

Fellow ACCD grad, and fan of your work,

Zac Atwell

#26 SixEcho

SixEcho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted August 18 2011 - 07:24 PM

I personally would want each mech to have some sort of headlights in that situation and if your gunning it out with somebody with your headlamps trained on each other with your guns lighting up the night otherwise.

Some very nice night visual effects for the firing of weapons would be nice to help discern what they are.

#27 Hawk1111

Hawk1111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationBrussels , BE

Posted August 19 2011 - 05:56 PM

Night battle_ That's a great idea ! Seeing the landscape and its features with the moon light revealing the futuristic cities..
Osaruflix - movie reviews the movie retribrution blog!
Posted Image
WHERE IS MY GOD DANG COFFEE !_

#28 SpudNick

SpudNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 05:42 AM

I would love to see some Night Battles. As long as we have a Night vision system for our mechs.

#29 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 07 2011 - 05:51 AM

Sounds freaking awesome.

Definitely like the idea about some type of "mech-style flashlight". Like, shoulder mounted, or torso mounted headlights.
You as the pilot get to choose to either fight in the dark and therefore keep a lower profile, or to have better visibility, at the expense of people being able to see you easier too.

Could work well with maps that include structures you can go in, like warehouses or something.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#30 J1

J1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationDune

Posted November 07 2011 - 09:35 AM

The team has said they were greatly influenced by the matrix and ghost in the shell, and i totally feel like if they were influenced by Ghost in the shell so much they would haaaaaave to include some sort of map that takes place at night because some of the most interesting and visually distinct elements of the show took place at night.

At least thats just my take on it :P
Posted Image

#31 Jyork

Jyork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted February 11 2012 - 07:01 PM

Not sure how dark of a night we're talking here.

But the ship floating above the map could have massive lights shining down over the map. These lights wouldn't light up everyplace on the map, however, so there would be certain "dark" places to hide or fight in the dark. BUT, the ship would constantly be moving around, changing the lighted areas, so just because you're hiding in the dark one minute, doesn't mean you won't be lit up like a neon sign the next.
Just a thought...

#32 Exakt

Exakt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 09:27 AM

Have only the light mechs equipped with NV/Thermal, since they will be used most often as scouts. The medium and heavy mech will have projectors, the difference between the med and Heavies, is that the ones on the heavies would be more powerfull and may blind both allied and enemy pilots if they look directly into it. Also a more powerful projector can be an advantage to the enemy, since it will cast bigger and deeper shadows, so projectors can work for or against the side using them.

#33 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 13 2012 - 12:24 PM

Reddish, blueish or greenish view_. That's the question here at my end.. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#34 phaXion

phaXion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 01:44 PM

Night Combat in general is freaking awesome, and adding night visions and other kinds of heat visions to the mech's cockpit is awesome too..

But don't forget that the development team is not very big and that they'll surely apply MoSCoW, with night vision supposibly being a Should. Night combat comes with features that bring quite some extra work. Lighting is hard in UDK and above all time consuming, and I suppose the whole vision thing won't be easy either.

TLDR; Night Combat 'd be awesome, but I'd rather have them finish and polish the game to the max then that they'd just rush some random maps 'cause *OH YEAH NIGHT COMBAT IS AWESUM*
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

#35 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 02:37 PM

Headlights are cooler than night vision. Just sayin.

#36 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 05:42 PM

I support darkness.
Naraklok

#37 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 14 2012 - 02:48 AM

Naraklok said:

I support darkness.

That sounds so Sith...  :P

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#38 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 12:11 PM

The_Silencer said:

That sounds so Sith...
I was originally referred to as the ruler of the Sith Empire.
Naraklok

#39 NightSnowCrow

NightSnowCrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAll over

Posted February 14 2012 - 12:40 PM

Night Combat would be an fantastic add to any game, bringing more of an feel of realism and simulating life. if an actual night combat with different flashing guns/tracers/vehicular lights/ etc is to difficult to create there should be an map staged at night but with various street lamps and lights illuminating the map. So that it doesn't strain the software to harshly but still having a star night. On the topic of setting I am an huge fan of RAIN and SNOW maps. also adding environmental problems to the game play is a brings a sense of novelty, of which is greatly appreciated in any game. for example the razor hale in Gears of War 2. rain that damaged players (if they were not sheltered from the rain) when it spontaneously rained. now, naturally deadly environmental problems can not and should not be limited to razor hail. plenty more ideas can come from this.

YES- Night combat
PLEASE- environmental problems like razor hail, perhaps more creative ones that affect ones game.
PLEASE- Rain and Snow maps
I don't listen to white or black music, just fight music.

#40 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 01:10 PM

NightSnowCrow said:

YES- Night combat
PLEASE- environmental problems
PLEASE- Rain and Snow maps
+1, +1, and +1.