HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

If this is not grinding, then i don't know what it is.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 12:02 PM

I just played a TDM on Titan. 6 on 6. My team won and I topped the scoreboard with a 2 KDR + assists.

I got:

20 HP for winning
76 HP for playing
13 HP for my first place, Assists and KDR
---------------------------
109 HP total

Let's break it down shall we_

Winning -> 20/109*100 = 18%
Score -> 13/109*100 =12%
Time -> 76/109*100 =70%

My entire efforts to the team only contribute to a measly 30% of my earnings (and that's only if i win). I can come in, 2 minutes before the end of the match, completely sweep the opposing team, flip the game around, and will probably get a measly 30 HP. Why_ because my heroic killing spree was only 2 minutes long.

So basically what the game is telling me is that it doesn't care if i'm credit to team or just idle around and play with myself on the spawn point, as long as i populate the server.

"I don't care if you are good or not, i don't care if you win or lose, All i care is that you log in and populate my servers. If you want to level up, you will have to play, A LOT (or buy HP, XP boosters)"

Edited by Hipnox, November 10 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#2 MVRS

MVRS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 12:07 PM

if u dont move after 3 mins u get kicked

PS. the exp given is much higher per mins in DM if you top 20+ kills/assists in 15mins

easy 2000+ EXP for me

Edited by MVRS, November 10 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#3 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 10 2012 - 12:16 PM

Psst: Siege mode has much better XP/min

#4 Trakel

Trakel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationHangar 509

Posted November 10 2012 - 12:28 PM

Still though, even playing Seige and with the Hawken point boost. It still feels like, to me anyway, that it takes way too long to get it.

#5 DonkeyballZ

DonkeyballZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 12:48 PM

I don't really mind, it's a F2P game.
To lessen the grind, you pay.
I gladly pay for this game, even if it gave me no advantage at all :)

#6 SilentCid

SilentCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 01:22 PM

They have been adjusting the rate on which you get HP points. It's a lot more than CBE1.

Posted Image

#7 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted November 10 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostSilentCid, on November 10 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

They have been adjusting the rate on which you get HP points. It's a lot more than CBE1.
It has nothing to do with how quickly you get them, but how you earn them in the first place. Too much empahsis on simply being there and not enough on how you actually play in the match.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#8 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 10 2012 - 02:40 PM

Many f2p games I've experienced award free currency based only on time played and nothing else. The idea is to encourage new/not very talented players to keep going rather than give up because their earn rates are awful, and at the same time, prevent strong players from being able to rank up super easily and have no incentive to spend money at all.

I wouldn't say the current system is perfect, but this part makes sense IMO.

Posted Image

#9 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostImmie, on November 10 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

The idea is to encourage new/not very talented players to keep going rather than give up because their earn rates are awful, and at the same time, prevent strong players from being able to rank up super easily and have no incentive to spend money at all.

I understand that.

With that said, this system makes grinding a bigger chore than in say, games like Combat Arms. In Hawken, you know that even if you are a god among men, you really don't earn much more HP than the bottom feeder that drags the entire team down.

The notion that your performance has such an insignificant impact on your income might be a deal breaker for many. It certainly is for me.

Hell, i can make an idle bot for Hawken right now. Just let me log into a Siege map, aim my mech somewhere in my base and put this heavy paper weight on this here key wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Edited by Hipnox, November 10 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#10 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostMVRS, on November 10 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

PS. the exp given is much higher per mins in DM if you top 20+ kills/assists in 15mins

easy 2000+ EXP for me
No kidding. I got 12,000 XP in a single Siege match last night.

Though I did buy a doubler. :P

Edited by DarkPulse, November 10 2012 - 08:57 PM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#11 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationOTG Headquarters

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:06 PM

I don't understand playing this gameto "level up". I play it as an FPS. I just have fun shooting people and then if I did good, I got rewarded.

People think too much. Played too many games.

#12 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:18 PM

Siege mode has the highest payout if you're team is winning and the other team sits their flopping around.

Deathmatch if you know how to play.
Posted Image

#13 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostFemale, on November 10 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

Siege mode has the highest payout if you're team is winning and the other team sits their flopping around.

Actually, that match was a rather close one. It took us like seven ships to sink theirs because they had a rocketeer who was taking ours our even though we had AA dominance (save for one time where they used it and got one of ours to 25% health).

And if you're reading this, Hookshot, you should be ashamed of yourself. :P
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#14 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostFemale, on November 10 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

No, you just learn to play better and carry a whole siege team to victory every game. It's better returns than winning deathmatch

#15 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostGestankfaust, on November 10 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

I don't understand playing this gameto "level up". I play it as an FPS. I just have fun shooting people and then if I did good, I got rewarded.

People think too much. Played too many games.

I don't give a rat's @ss about experience and leveling. I'm talking about in-game currency.

The game becomes incredibly boring fast if you are unable to buy new, game changing equipment, weapons and mechs. At this rate, it takes about 90+ full 15 minute matches to be able to afford a new chassis. ( a naked, lvl 0 chassis mind you)

#16 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 04:33 AM

The reward ratios need work IMO.  Currently the reward for actually doing mission activities is dwarfed by ignoring everything that you need to do to win a match and just blitz around blowing up mechs.  This kind of skewed reward ratio is extremely damaging for team play, i.e., you don't need to be a team player to acquire what matters.

Case in point: a Missile Assault match.  Enemy team was populated by only Sharpies and Assaults.  They wracked up nearly double the number of kills as the other team but still lost the match by over 800 base points.  Their match end reward points were still stratospheric.  There is almost no incentive to actually win a match; wins are superfluous if progression is your only motivation.

RO2 ran into similar problems in the early days because it too relies on earned XP to level up your weapons and sh_t.  (Incidentally, RO2 has one of the worst reward systems of modern gaming times -- they forgot that they were writing a reward scheme for a competitive WW2 tactical fps and thought they were tweaking Killing Floor 2 or something -- but that's not only another topic it's a whole different story.)  Winning a match didn't matter as far as reward points were concerned so games often ended up degrading into people camping and sniping match after match.  (Sound familiar_)  To TWI's credit they adjusted the reward rates to heavily favour not only wins but also mission objective activities to make playing for the objectives far more profitable than merely cruising for XP.  It didn't stop some people cruising but it did provide the much needed motivation to get people out of their foxholes and into the cap points.  Winning was once again profitable.  It would be nice if Hawken did something similar.

#17 SystemiK

SystemiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:42 AM

View PostHipnox, on November 10 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

If this is not grinding, then I dont know what it is

I'm glad you asked, because I can help you out....

THIS is grinding:
Posted Image
There is no time like time wasted...

#18 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:52 AM

I cringe when I think what would happen to his face if any of those glowing shards of metal were to meet with it.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#19 ForTheTrees

ForTheTrees

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:01 AM

i get 5000-7000 EXP per TDM game

gotta use HP/XP boosts..

plus, if i want something, ill just buy it. Dropping 20 bucks into a F2P game that will give me hours of entertainment is a no brainer. Id rather save myself the time.

Edited by ForTheTrees, November 11 2012 - 06:02 AM.

#20 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostHipnox, on November 10 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

With that said, this system makes grinding a bigger chore than in say, games like Combat Arms. In Hawken, you know that even if you are a god among men, you really don't earn much more HP than the bottom feeder that drags the entire team down.

But you get awarded XP for your actions. HP is for team actions and what not.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users