HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Ranked Matches

Review Project Game Beta

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Akos_Amun

Akos_Amun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 02:51 AM

I was noticing that things can get extremely over-balanced in favor of one team because one specific player is leveled up and has lots of perks, and everyone else is lower level and skill. Now, duh you say, when you level up you're going to be able to do more with your mech and you'll have more skill. Yes, of course, but I think this is has the potential to dissuade new players from sticking with this for very long, no one likes getting ripped apart over and over without being able to learn how to play in between.

That is why I suggest there be at least the option of joining ranked matches where you are put in games with people around the same level as you, because I still think having a challenge is part of why games stay fun, and slaughtering the masses is really only entertaining for 12 year-olds for more than 10 minutes. I don't know the best way to split it up, but I think 1-6/7, 7/8-13/14, and 14/15-20 would be good.

The games I've been in have been really fun when everyone is around the same skill level. there are two or three that really play well, and some that don't have the same finesse but overall, the games have a good pace and everyone has a better time. The games where one or two or five guys are all OverPowered and just run around tearing everything apart are extremely EXTREMELY frustrating when you are the only person on the other team that seems to be doing anything, or when you turn the corner and someone on the other team is spawn point camping, and it's really boring being on the same team because there is no competition or threat.

But what if I have leveled up my sharpshooter and that is a 13 and my assault is only level 5_ I don't know.. but maybe it looks at your average rank_ looks at the highest and subtracts a few. Or maybe not, maybe it only looks at your highest, so if you don't want to be in really high battles with weak mechs you have to level them together.._ I don't really know. I just don't like seeing new guys come in and leave after one game. I haven't seen some of them come back ever and that is sad. This game could get really big, and if we make it so new people have a chance at being successful at all, I think it'll help so at launch all the veterans aren't just running around making enemies. The worst feeling for a new player is to look at the score at the end and see K=0 D=25 A=2... woopie they will say and then go play Planetside2.

Ok, that is my thought, "Ranked Matches" to keep the fire alive and the fun ever present.

#2 VertoPrime

VertoPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHawaii (Oahu) USA

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostAkos_Amun, on November 12 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

I was noticing that things can get extremely over-balanced in favor of one team because one specific player is leveled up and has lots of perks, and everyone else is lower level and skill. Now, duh you say, when you level up you're going to be able to do more with your mech and you'll have more skill. Yes, of course, but I think this is has the potential to dissuade new players from sticking with this for very long, no one likes getting ripped apart over and over without being able to learn how to play in between.

That is why I suggest there be at least the option of joining ranked matches where you are put in games with people around the same level as you, because I still think having a challenge is part of why games stay fun, and slaughtering the masses is really only entertaining for 12 year-olds for more than 10 minutes. I don't know the best way to split it up, but I think 1-6/7, 7/8-13/14, and 14/15-20 would be good.

The games I've been in have been really fun when everyone is around the same skill level. there are two or three that really play well, and some that don't have the same finesse but overall, the games have a good pace and everyone has a better time. The games where one or two or five guys are all OverPowered and just run around tearing everything apart are extremely EXTREMELY frustrating when you are the only person on the other team that seems to be doing anything, or when you turn the corner and someone on the other team is spawn point camping, and it's really boring being on the same team because there is no competition or threat.

But what if I have leveled up my sharpshooter and that is a 13 and my assault is only level 5_ I don't know.. but maybe it looks at your average rank_ looks at the highest and subtracts a few. Or maybe not, maybe it only looks at your highest, so if you don't want to be in really high battles with weak mechs you have to level them together.._ I don't really know. I just don't like seeing new guys come in and leave after one game. I haven't seen some of them come back ever and that is sad. This game could get really big, and if we make it so new people have a chance at being successful at all, I think it'll help so at launch all the veterans aren't just running around making enemies. The worst feeling for a new player is to look at the score at the end and see K=0 D=25 A=2... woopie they will say and then go play Planetside2.

Ok, that is my thought, "Ranked Matches" to keep the fire alive and the fun ever present.

The actual Rank is based on the Upgrade tree where you can determine what skilled rank a pilot is in the Optimization tree, it is difficult to know what Optimization skills the pilot has unless he tells you or by observation there is nothing to tell you what rank a pilot is ingame.  "Rank doesn't necessarily mean skill"

And yes there are players that will only go after energy because it is easier to score at the end of a Match but, all those zeros are because the Match finder placed pilots in the server towards the end of the match. The main unbalanced part is when pilots drop out leaving the team out numbered canceling out skilled pilots.  The balance needs to be with the match server detecting an unbalanced team and ends the game, this will force a pilot switch after a warning if pilots don't balance out the team if there is no switch the server either moves a pilot or the game ends.  Also for the new comer, I would try to avoid being a one man army and buddy up with a wingman or group, you are safer and stronger in numbers.  If we do ranked Servers I would place pilots in, (1-6) (7-13) (14-20)...  But unless something is done with the numbers on both sides it still won't matter.

Edited by VertoPrime, November 12 2012 - 06:06 AM.

Posted Image
Win7 Home Premium 64bit, AMD Athlon ™ II X4 620 2.60 GHz, 6GB ram, Geforce GTX550 Ti 2gb

#3 Akos_Amun

Akos_Amun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 03:51 PM

But you can tell when a mech has used their optimization tree because they are faster can shoot faster, longer, and do way more damage, while taking more punishment than the lower level mech. This is extremely obvious.

No all the zeros I am talking about are not for siege, I mean when someone has been killed 25 times and can't kill anything that is a 0/25/xx k/d/a spread. you can't die 25 times if the server just put you there at the last second. I do pretty average in most matches, I would say I have an average skill level, I'm not amazing but I don't mop the floor with my face either. I have played a lot of games and can tell when people have skill, and obviously these people do when they rack up 30-40 kills a match, but that can't be fun for anyone else. If you are killing people that easily, you need a bigger challenge and that is why ranking would be nice. It doesn't have to display your rank for the game to tell, the game can tell because you're IN THE GAME. The game knows what perks you are using. By the way, your "rank" being based on the skill tree is virtually the same as your level because you don't get tech points unless you level up. I think the optimizations are balanced because you never get enough points to max everything out, you have to decide "will I go for Offense only_ or should I focus on Offense/defense/mobility at the same time_"

The matches are also time based so when one team is getting slaughtered they have to endure it for 15 minutes, not just for 40 kills. I think that might help too. A lot of people just rage quit when their team gets wasted instead of waiting one more round for it to balance out, because it is frustrating when you can't have fun because you're being dominated to hard.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review, Project, Game, Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users