HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

No fun being Fodder

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostConquistador, on November 14 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 13 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

View PostAxeman6ft7, on November 13 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

The HEat Cannon on a Rocketeer is F_IN USELESS IN A MOVING FIGHT! Give me the option for a MAchine gun or something besides what amounts to basically a Crossbow and I have to lead targets by ridiculous margins in a face paced environment. It's not possible. And I am playing on a 40" LCD....
HEAT cannon is useless_
Hard to use while moving in fast paced battles_

http://youtu.be/Z_V6SYWRYt8

Oh wait.
No it isn't.

Practice bro.
It makes perfect.

Did you max or increase your mech's damage_ Just curious.
Didn't even touch the damage tree.
My current setup is all about stacking health.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#22 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:42 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 14 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

Huh, mine too, but my infiltrator has 675 hp, not 625. Maybe we have different internals. Good game tonight, by the way. Gave me a chance to play with EOC repeater on the Infiltrator.... which is so damn odd. I would hate to be fighting you and Beemann simultaneously, especially with the EOC.

Edited by Conquistador, November 14 2012 - 12:43 AM.

Posted Image

#23 Nymphs

Nymphs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:49 AM

I use an infiltrator setup as well. The only downside is is that lag makes it difficult to use the HEAT cannon efficiently. Since it's client lag, all I can really blame is myself for not lowering the settings. I just wanted a pretty looking game. :c
Even then, since the closed beta 2 is done for, I'm uncertain if this loadout will still be effective upon open beta. I expect a lot of changes concerning weapons.

#24 Axeman6ft7

Axeman6ft7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostD3thpool, on November 13 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

dont think his problem isnt getting kills in general but getting steamrolled by max lev. mechs.
like an assault player with the d-cannon unlocked ( the the whole e-tech tree) has a HUGE damage advantage over a rather new player, also far more games played.

Look, I could get kills.....but 9 times out of 10 I get roasted by everything and everyone. The whole "side dash" thing to ME is the equivalent of the bunny hopping, porpoising bs in other FPS's COD was famous for that. I'm not "whining", I know as a noob I have a learning curve to adjust to. But seriously___ Why am I playing....why do I BOTHER if my initial experience with the game is being nothing but cannon fodder for the first day, WHERE IS THE INCENTIVE___ I can live with a learning curve...to a point, but when it gets to a point that it doesn't matter what mech I use, I get my Ass handed to me by anything and everything, well....THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO FUN IN THAT!

I'm not a complete noob, I'm an FPS veteran, a Mech Warrior Veteran, but there ***IS*** a problem here. In almost EVERY server I went into, there was always at least One guy, usually a couple, that would rip off 20-1, 25-2, ratios etc. running around with a HUGELY superior mech.....and BRAGGING about it, because he KNEW his mech, had far more time in it than I, and ultimately could lay waste to pretty much anyone and everyone....not just me.  I'm not some whiner kid...I'm an experienced 43 year old Gamer with an extensive Beta testing background. I have no problem dying.....but when that is ALL YOU DO no matter what you do....there's a problem that involves more than just player skill. It involves Fairness to new players. I CERTAINLY did not expect to come in guns blazing and own the map outright from the start...but I DID expect to be competitive by the end of the day....and while there were flashes of good gameplay, and I got a few good shots in here and there, I spent MOST of my time in the game watching myself blow up. Think it's just me____ NO..it isn't....

To quote PC Gamer's review in December's issue "I want to turn to Khang Le, creative director on Hawken and assure him I'm enjoying myself. As I explode for the fourth time, he leans in and politely recommends that I switch classes. He's worried; Hawken has a learning curve, and, despite the allure of being free to play and visually breathtaking, it's mechanics are NOT going to appeal to everyone." ~Owen Hill

Yes, there IS a learning curve, and I'm ok with that....there is in EVERY good game....***BUT*** there is more going on that steepens the curve that is beyond your control as a NEW player. And there in lies the problem. I don't really mind dying a lot in a new shooter, it's par for the course most times, but when thats **ALL** you do, basically being Fodder for more experienced, and well equipped Mechs, I have a problem with that, and so will a lot of other new players. The game itself is pretty awesome overall, but there is just NO FUN WHATSOEVER in dying repeatedly, over and over again to the same few players that rule every round in a server, over and over again. THAT ***IS*** a problem that needs to be looked at.

If I want to play against guys with retarded K/D ratios every round, I can jump into BF3 and play against guys with Aimbots and wall hacks all day long. Coming into Hawken and playing against guys making 20-2, 25-3, etc. FEELS LIKE DOING THE SAME DAMN THING!!!!   And it gets pretty old, pretty quick.   And that's coming from a VETERAN FPS player. When I'm in there TRYING to fight these guys, THAT is what it feels like!!!!  Like I have NO CHANCE no matter what I do, as I get blasted OVER AND OVER AGAIN no matter what I use, how I attack my target, etc.  It seemed the only way I could snag a kill at all was either stealing somone else's kill on an already damaged mech, or being fortunate enough to get behind someone and get complete surprise...(which was pretty rare).

Again, I am not a noob kid. I'm an OLD GUY by gamer standards. I was playing First Person Shooters before most of you were out of diapers. I play on a nice rig, good specs, a 40" 1080P LCD, and as good as it looks (and it DOES look good), the overall sense of helplessness and inferiority to higher, more experienced mech's is PALATABLE.  It's NOT just me....because I was HARDLY the only one in there getting my hat handed to me.

NO WAY will I spend Cash to play this as is. It's a good game....I like it...I WANT to like it....but the learning curve makes you cannon fodder....and I won't pay to be fodder to someone with a time, equipment, and experience advantage, over and over again until I happen to get good enough or familiar enough to somehow keep up. As much as I enjoyed the game mechanics and visuals....the feeling of being target practice from the get go is a HUGE bitter pill to swallow, and what I think Owen Hill failed to mention in his review, is that while at first you don't mind dying just to have the experience, after a while....when that is your ONLY experience in game, it tends to sour the initial wowness factor to a point where you WILL eventually get sick of it as you struggle with the learning curve.

#25 Axeman6ft7

Axeman6ft7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 04:31 AM

Why not separate noobs from more experienced players___ Why not have a Tiered system where you have to achieve certain levels BEFORE you get thrown to the wolves with the Big Boys_ Noob Servers if you will. You reach a certain point, and then you move into Big Boy land.....a simple compromise to keep new players from becoming exasperated too quickly...

#26 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 06:17 AM

View PostAxeman6ft7, on November 14 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

Why not separate noobs from more experienced players___ Why not have a Tiered system where you have to achieve certain levels BEFORE you get thrown to the wolves with the Big Boys_ Noob Servers if you will. You reach a certain point, and then you move into Big Boy land.....a simple compromise to keep new players from becoming exasperated too quickly...
You do realize the matchmaker is still undergoing work_

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#27 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 06:45 AM

As angry as this man is. He's right.

The higher leveled mechs are infinitely better and those not running them are nothing but fodder.

Developers have posted in other threads about this though and responded that they agree it's bull. Hopefully in CB3 we'll see some fixes to the system.

And the learning curve for this game actually isn't very steep at all. There's just a large performance gap between new players and people who understand all the implications of dodging. Actually learning those things is as easy as going to a tips thread.

Edited by D20Face, November 14 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#28 Axeman6ft7

Axeman6ft7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:43 AM

I'm not angry....frustrated perhaps, but not angry. Again, as I said, there were moments of brilliance....moments of that ol' MW4 "God I love this game" feeling. But they are SO rare against a server full of superior mechs, that it really does dampen what is otherwise a stellar experience. I don't mind the learning curve....I caught on pretty quickly for the most part....took the time to get my key bindings sorted and memorized, etc. But the overwhelming sense of futility kept creeping back in as I constantly got my nads handed to me in a bag by guys ripping K/D ratios that would be considered cheating in most other games. I know they aren't cheating (God I HOPE not this early), but the fact that it FEELS LIKE they are SERIOUSLY takes away from an otherwise entertaining experience. The feeling of a lack of level playing field is upsetting at the least, and at worst has me turning it off.....which I did....more than once out of frustration. New players need to FEEL like they have a fighting chance. When yer in a roomful of guys bustin out 25-2. etc. You feel like fodder...period....and there is no fun in that, nor any incentive to spend money on that.  The game mechanics feel ok, Mech's feel solid, weapons sound and feel good, but the unequal play just makes me want to cchuck my mouse across the room.....not cool.... :angry:  I'm not a noob, I know how to use teamwork and tactics. But those don't matter in a Deathmatch as much, and when it comes down to head to head, if yer not in a superior mech,you're not going to win more often than not. And frankly, I'm not a fan of the sideways dodging bs. Feels like I'm playing peek-a-boo tag with a multi-ton mech....and makes lower velocity weapons an exercise in futility at anything beyond point blank range.

I don't mind losing in a fair fight.....emphasis on the word FAIR......so far, I'm just not seeing it....I'm seeing 0-14 2-12, etc. while spending most of the time watching my Mech blow up repeatedly.....that gets OLD really quick. A one-sided fight is only fun if you're the guy winning.... :huh:

Edited by Axeman6ft7, November 14 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#29 Axeman6ft7

Axeman6ft7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:48 AM

Also, I wasn't using Matchmaker. I was using the Server Browser.....which, btw....needs a mouse animation icon or something while it's bringing up the list. More than once I thought the game had locked up while waiting for the Server List, because it just sits there with no indication of anything for a few moments before the list appears. A minor detail, but worth noting...

#30 Axeman6ft7

Axeman6ft7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:52 AM

I will look forward to CB3 as well as the open Beta...I WILL continue to play as things get finalized and tweaked, but I have to be honest when I say that this  cannon fodder issue made my overall experience somewhat disappointing.

Edited by Axeman6ft7, November 14 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#31 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostAxeman6ft7, on November 14 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Also, I wasn't using Matchmaker. I was using the Server Browser.....which, btw....needs a mouse animation icon or something while it's bringing up the list. More than once I thought the game had locked up while waiting for the Server List, because it just sits there with no indication of anything for a few moments before the list appears. A minor detail, but worth noting...
Well, if you're not using matchmaker, then it becomes more your fault in a sense.

Now I realize, at the moment there's a tiny population and very few servers to join, so it often makes little difference whether you use MM or not.
However (and this is currently sort of hypothetical for the reasons mentioned above), when you join using the server browser, you are bypassing the step that would put you with players of similar skill. You make the choice to take the chance you could end up being roflstomped.

AJK is right

#32 Axeman6ft7

Axeman6ft7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:07 PM

Fair enough, but I also lose the choice of how many people I want to play with etc. I picked the Server browser because I wanted to choose somewhere with fewer players while I acclimated myself to the game. I had no idea I would get chucked in with Mech's so vastly superior to my own. I STILL feel that is somewhat fundamentally flawed, but you're right, I chose to go where I went, so in that sense I suppose I got what I asked for. That said, how many others are going to do the exact same thing I did when they come into the game for the first time and experience the same frustrations I did_

If you want it to be successful, and have people want to play it....those kinds of one-sided beat downs STILL need to be addressed, no matter how you get there, it still sucks....

And since I mentioned the feeling of playing with cheaters, let me address that issue more directly. Hawken developers, if you're reading these forums at all, know this. If you rely on 3rd party Anti-cheat systems like Punkbuster, YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME EVEN BOTHERING, because as soon as the game goes public, there will be cheaters. Don't believe me___ then ask the wealth of Battlefield 3 Beta Testers (myself included) who were simply STUNNED by commercially available hacks FOR THE BF3 BETA!!! Think I am exaggerating__ Then I tell you what....go on over the fpscheats.com and pay attention. They are TONS of places like this, that make their money off of ruining your games for the masses. Cheating is the single biggest detriment to online PC gaming. And I'll tell you something else too....you get a bunch of guys in a server with Bling'd out Mech's thrashing noobs with ratios that would get them banned in other games, and you lose hordes of potential players. Punkbuster is USELESS....I REPEAT....***USELESS*** and if you think that's bs, go on over to BF3 and jump in a few PB enabled servers. Let me know how that works for you while yer getting headshot spawn killed by some prick with a 105/12 ratio, IN A PUNKBUSTER ENABLED SERVER!!!

THAT is the kind of stuff I really DO get mad at. You want to maintain the integrity of your online gaming experience___ Then make the consequences of cheating as Draconian as possible. GUID bans, IP bans, WHATEVER IT TAKES to maintain an effective deterent and get the point across that if you cheat, and get caught, it will cost you a fortune in time and expense to play again. Figure out a way to eliminate the same kind of BF3 fuzzy bunny, buying new keys, etc. NO!!!!! You get caught, GOOD LUCK trying to ever play the game again. Your Email will be banned, your IP will be banned, GUID banned, Hardware banned, etc. WHATEVER IT TAKES, otherwise....like BF3, you can kiss the integrity of your online experience goodbye.....just like BF3... :angry:

#33 Axeman6ft7

Axeman6ft7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:18 PM

I stopped playing BF3 because it became simply STUPID to even bother with online multiplayer. Why do you think sites like fpscheats even exist_ Because they LAUGH at Punkbuster....Oh PB gets some of them occasionally, but it's a constant game of cat & mouse that PB CONTINUALLY LOSES. PB will nail them, they'll take their hacks offline for a week or so (if even that), then they come right back.....PB is perpetually on the losing side of the fight, and in games like COD and BF3 it's just become a joke.... You will inevitably come across some fuzzy bunny with a 100-13 k/d ratio spawn killing you with headshots from across a map, and saying "I don't cheat" at the same damn time....

Be a Draconian as possible with cheaters....it's the ONLY way to maintain the integrity of the online experience...

#34 Leon_McNicole

Leon_McNicole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOrbital Launch Platform

Posted November 14 2012 - 02:21 PM

Bottom line, a Server for 2 on 2 noobs (sorry) should be avlib for getting the hang of things. I got my arse handed to me in a sling w/o a 1st aid patch or a BK Coupon from  the higher adv'ed mech after the reach around I got.

#35 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:51 PM

HEY! I'll have you know it's plenty of fun being me.

Huh, no wonder it's so damned hard to kill you, that is when I can even hit you in the first place, dodgy little bastard.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#36 Lanfire

Lanfire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:26 PM

Lol take some deep breathes and step away from the game if you can't keep up and it bothers you. There will be a practice option later on for training when the game is released or maybe even the next 16 day cb3 we get.

AsianJoyKiller I want to find you in game now. Awesome vid.

#37 S1LV3R

S1LV3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:39 PM

While the matchmaking is not the best in this world, use it. Read the tips & tricks section, its helpful. Ask some players for some kind of help, some tactics with X mech or X weapons or loadouts. Developers are working on tutorials, or at least it seems. If you are getting frustrated, its better to leave that match and relax for a bit. After all, its a beta, and your progress will be erased soon. Take this time to learn the mechanics of the gameplay, watch some videos of other players. If you are getting a hard time with some kind of mech, change to another one, maybe you need to practice with an assault for example.

My apologies, I'm not english native. Just trying to help if possible.

#38 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostSirCannonFodder, on November 14 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

HEY! I'll have you know it's plenty of fun being me.

Huh, no wonder it's so damned hard to kill you, that is when I can even hit you in the first place, dodgy little bastard.
Yep, with plenty of health to take a few hits and the reduction of the dodge cooldown, survivability is pretty good.

AJK is right

#39 MeteorMod04

MeteorMod04

Community Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:01 PM

Alrighty, everyone. Let's keep it kind, shall we_ :) I've said this a lot as of late: Our forums are not a place to be mean or to troll. That's for Reddit and 4Chan ;)
As to the post itself, the game is still in beta and it will continue to improve. Feedback helps, as always. :) Practice does indeed make perfect, but just because one player is "better" than you right now, doesn't mean you suck.

CONSTRUCTIVE criticism will always be welcome on our forums, but please let's all try to remember to keep it as such.

#40 S1LV3R

S1LV3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostModerator02, on November 14 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Alrighty, everyone. Let's keep it kind, shall we_ :) I've said this a lot as of late: Our forums are not a place to be mean or to troll. That's for Reddit and 4Chan ;)
As to the post itself, the game is still in beta and it will continue to improve. Feedback helps, as always. :) Practice does indeed make perfect, but just because one player is "better" than you right now, doesn't mean you suck.

CONSTRUCTIVE criticism will always be welcome on our forums, but please let's all try to remember to keep it as such.
Thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users