HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

No fun being Fodder

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Axeman6ft7

Axeman6ft7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:14 PM

ok look, here's the deal...I don't care HOW good the game looks if I'm Cannon fodder to Vastly higher level Mechs from the get go. No chance = NO FUN!  All the bells and whistles and smoke trails in the world, don't make up for the fact you can't win against vastly superior opponents many levels higher. I've spent the better part of a day in the servers basically getting my ASS handed to me by guys with FAR more time on their hands apparently than I. It makes for a frustrating and unenjoyable experience.

The HEat Cannon on a Rocketeer is F_IN USELESS IN A MOVING FIGHT! Give me the option for a MAchine gun or something besides what amounts to basically a Crossbow and I have to lead targets by ridiculous margins in a face paced environment. It's not possible. And I am playing on a 40" LCD....

There is no fun in getting 0-8 0-10 ratios when you cant stand toe to toe with the other mechs yer up against. Until you level the playing field for noobs a bit, I won't be sticking around long enough to earn anything that would make a difference. When I can't KILL anybody (it seems), it's not really much fun... :angry:

#2 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:29 PM

kinda have to agree.

in a team-focused game (xept dm) teambalance & matchmaking is key.
doesnt seem to work at all.
"The World is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind"

H.P. Lovecraft

#3 DreamFall

DreamFall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSaint Petersburg, Russian Federation.

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:32 PM

Of heavy mech much has already been said.
Here everything is clear - they are just not finalized.
They'll be strengthened in the next CBT event and everything will be fine I hope.

About the fact that you can't kill anyone and at the end of the match you have bad stats I can't say anything.

My friend plays for the Rocketeer and he is gaining quite a decent amount of kills by the end of the match.
Yes, it is much more difficult than others, but it's not impossible.

#4 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:38 PM

dont think his problem isnt getting kills in general but getting steamrolled by max lev. mechs.
like an assault player with the d-cannon unlocked ( the the whole e-tech tree) has a HUGE damage advantage over a rather new player, also far more games played.

H.P. Lovecraft

#5 DreamFall

DreamFall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSaint Petersburg, Russian Federation.

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yup, in the beginning do not fully understand the question.

If it is fair, I have nothing much to say. :)
Just do not see a way out of this situation...

The most simple - wipe.
But many will be unhappy. For example I am. :D

#6 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted November 13 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostAxeman6ft7, on November 13 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

don't care HOW good the game looks if I'm Cannon fodder to Vastly higher level Mechs from the get go. No chance = NO FUN!  

its all part of the game. you will level up eventually. plus ive beaten level 20 mechs in a level 1 mech. i say 75% of it is player skill, the rest is mech level up. try new tactics. maybe youre just not good at the game. its possible.

. I've spent the better part of a day in the servers basically getting my ASS handed to me by guys with FAR more time on their hands apparently than I.
Thats life. some people have more time than others. its unfair people have more time than you. Please. Thats a shallow complaint. ''no one is allowed to play more than me so i stay even'' is what youre saying. If you have little time to play, use the 2x XP by spending meteor points.

The HEat Cannon on a Rocketeer is F_IN USELESS IN A MOVING FIGHT! Give me the option for a MAchine gun or something besides what amounts to basically a Crossbow and I have to lead targets by ridiculous margins in a face paced environment. It's not possible. And I am playing on a 40" LCD....
Sounds like a personal problem. I rake face with the heat cannon. its a great gun and im pretty accurate with it at any distance. its all you, your ping, or your fps (if its low). the gun is fine.

There is no fun in getting 0-8 0-10 ratios when you cant stand toe to toe with the other mechs yer up against.

as stated before, ive been in a level 1 mech and took down people in level 20 mechs. its your skill that matters most in this game. try new tactics, keep playing and get better.

Sounds to me like youre a lone wolf player at times. Stick with teammates and work together. Once you get maps memorized and you learn your mech more, then try to lone wolf. crawl before you walk.
Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#7 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted November 13 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostSnoof, on November 13 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

I think you just suck badly thats all, any mech can go toe to toe with any other mech and still be even, i use my heat cannon on my infiltrator and absolutely swallow any mech that doesnt pay attention to me in the first 10 seconds or so (2 Glauncher rounds usually make people pay attention).  Oh and by the way i play from NZ so im playing at 150+ ping where every single bullet must compensate for the lag by firing ahead already and i have NEVER had a negative or even KDR before, my KDR is always 3.0 + which means that if i can beat the majority with 150 ping facing off against 50 pings, then you must just suck badly is all

way to go to give a new player some usefull tips.

pathetic.

H.P. Lovecraft

#8 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 03:45 PM

That's how most game titles work - from zero to hero. Deal with it.

I'm sometimes trully amazed by other players skills. When my ass gets kicked I really don't care. Why_ Because it's a game not a alpha male contest. Nobody likes loosin' but that's how you gain experience. Watch & learn. Like in real life - practice & then you'll become a champ.

If your mech doesn't fit your playstyle then change it. You also can choose the same class of mech that kills you the most times. Everyone applies to exactly same rules. No hakers were reported so far (if so - mostly was bugs)

Second thing that 'social' side of game isn't ready yet so no balanced teams of rookie players. Also no 'kick players' or 'report a bully' option.. but it soon be ready as Hawken goes Gold. But you can still go to some server with friends from your buddy list so what's the deal_

By the way was it you mr. Axe that tried to report me as a hacker for taking 30+ kills_

#9 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 13 2012 - 04:15 PM

I don't see why the lvling aspect of rpg games really came into the fps scene. Actually it came into being due to mmo's. And lets look at the most recent mmo.. GW2. It outright does it right when it comes to how ppl start on equal playing grounds. It's not about the gear, it's about how you set your build and the skill you have to play that style. But in this game levels = mitigation/dmg/situational awareness. All of which give the player that has spent more time a HUGE advantage over those that have not. This will not hold an audience to the game other than the minor percent that are hardcore.

And good lord please don't put in a "vote to kick player" option. People on a whole are stupid. Giving them rights to vote on something that can be abused is just wrong. In the happy fun land where everyone is nice and made of unicorn parts things will be used fairly. But this is real life and it just does not happen.

#10 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostAkrium, on November 13 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

And good lord please don't put in a "vote to kick player" option. People on a whole are stupid. Giving them rights to vote on something that can be abused is just wrong. In the happy fun land where everyone is nice and made of unicorn parts things will be used fairly. But this is real life and it just does not happen.
Truth.

I've never seen votekick used properly. Not once.

#11 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 13 2012 - 05:22 PM

like the others said: only practice.
Some have better adaptation to games, some not.
"So keep hating, cause the more you hate, the more that it motivates
You got jobs being a hater
So you know what; keep doing your job..."

#12 Thundertron

Thundertron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 13 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostD20Face, on November 13 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

I've never seen votekick used properly. Not once.
bad use of this is always present.
"So keep hating, cause the more you hate, the more that it motivates
You got jobs being a hater
So you know what; keep doing your job..."

#13 BernardWiseman

BernardWiseman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 06:55 PM

To be perfectly honest I think the main issue is with player familiarity. I imagine it's the Alpha 2 vets kicking the butts of all the newcomers while they get a feel for the game, rather than the relatively small increases in damage you get from levelling. It's a bit frustrating to see newbies go into their first game and stand completely still while firing and eat several TOWs to the face.

#14 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted November 13 2012 - 06:56 PM

at the end of it all, from everything you said, your losing is due to mostly your part and ignorance on how to play properly. Only with practice will the skill come. You have to take a lot of beatings before get better. some people start better than others. I, since i started playing, am nearly always one of the top 3 people in the game. The game fits my play style like a glove.  some people, however, have to work harder than others to get to the same skill level. some people never get past a certain point. it is what it is, its human nature. But to blame it on everything BUT yourself..well thats just sad.. I hope to see you on the battlefield. and if youre on my team, we'll stick together and ill help you out the best I can.
Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#15 Etan

Etan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMInnesota

Posted November 13 2012 - 07:27 PM

This game has a steep learning curve. I myself havent gotten used to side dashing and end up dying alot however to counter this i switch from infiltrator to sharpshooter and just pot shot people so my team can advance and get kills. You just have to get used to the different play styles with the mechs. If i die to a Vulcan its because i was NOT where i was supposed to be.
Posted Image

#16 Bashrag

Bashrag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostAkrium, on November 13 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

I don't see why the lvling aspect of rpg games really came into the fps scene. Actually it came into being due to mmo's. And lets look at the most recent mmo.. GW2. It outright does it right when it comes to how ppl start on equal playing grounds. It's not about the gear, it's about how you set your build and the skill you have to play that style. But in this game levels = mitigation/dmg/situational awareness. All of which give the player that has spent more time a HUGE advantage over those that have not. This will not hold an audience to the game other than the minor percent that are hardcore.

Vertical progression doesn't work in shooters.  You can give people abilites, gear and the option to trade stats, but the kinds of things I'm seeing in the "optimization" trees right now are complete BS.  I'll come back when the devs have decided what kind of game they want to build.

#17 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:24 PM

I don't know if this opinion has been expressed yet or not (there's already a lot of responses here) but I'm responding to the original post [after glancing at some of the other comments]:

I don't mean to brag, but... I just started this game joining the Beta 2. By my second day of play in deathmatch, I was placing in the top 5 every match, and usually in the top 3. I've gone up against lvl 15 mechs with a lvl 2 and beaten them. (granted I did have pretty bad experiences in team-based game modes, but that's not the topic addressed here)

There's no higher-level advantages that go beyond slight edges. If you're a better pilot, you'll win. That's why the game scores you on XP earned, not kills alone. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Ace4225, November 13 2012 - 11:25 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#18 iEatWoofers

iEatWoofers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:45 PM

I'm just not a fan of leveling in FPS. I don't see the point. If you want to make a skill-based game it should be a level playing field. What's the point of giving the more expierenced players additional advantages over new players_

Of course I blame CoD and it's millions of players for this BS, lol.

#19 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:48 PM

HEAT cannon is useless_
Hard to use while moving in fast paced battles_

http://youtu.be/Z_V6SYWRYt8

Oh wait.
No it isn't.

Practice bro.
It makes perfect.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#20 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:37 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 13 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

HEAT cannon is useless_
Hard to use while moving in fast paced battles_

http://youtu.be/Z_V6SYWRYt8

Oh wait.
No it isn't.

Practice bro.
It makes perfect.

Did you max or increase your mech's damage_ Just curious.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users