HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Little comment from a friend.

Beta Game

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 arguser

arguser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted November 14 2012 - 02:54 PM

I was showing the game to a friend, let it take my mech and play a bit. First thing he told me was: I don't feel good feedback of the weapons, it's like... Ok, I'm shooting but besides seeing a little movement, hearing a really low sound and watching something coming out of the weapons I don't feel I'm really firing my weapons.

It's a little comment, but makes some sense to me. What do you feel_

#2 CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted November 14 2012 - 03:05 PM

Sounds more like an audio source problem. Play with good headphones (something with a 40mm speaker) or with a good sound system (something with a subwoofer) and it's a lot more feedback. Playing with a normal headset or stereo speakers won't provide the bass frequency that it needs to be felt.

Personally, XD I"m thinking of getting a bass shaker thingy. Pretty much it uses the bassy frequencies like a subwoofer and outputs it as a vibrator, like a playstation or xbox controller would have, but you mount it to your chair. Imagine actually getting shaken a little from every step you take in your mech. ^__^ Talk about immersion.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/calibermengsk

Co-Owner of the BSB.

Join the Brotherhood.
Posted Image

http://bsb-gaming.com

#3 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 14 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostCaliberMengsk, on November 14 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Sounds more like an audio source problem. Play with good headphones (something with a 40mm speaker) or with a good sound system (something with a subwoofer) and it's a lot more feedback. Playing with a normal headset or stereo speakers won't provide the bass frequency that it needs to be felt.

Personally, XD I"m thinking of getting a bass shaker thingy. Pretty much it uses the bassy frequencies like a subwoofer and outputs it as a vibrator, like a playstation or xbox controller would have, but you mount it to your chair. Imagine actually getting shaken a little from every step you take in your mech. ^__^ Talk about immersion.
awsome suggestion was wondering if there was anything I could add to Oculus Rift to make it even better
When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

#4 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted November 14 2012 - 03:29 PM

It would be cool if your HUD/mech shook a bit more when you fire heavy weapons too
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#5 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 14 2012 - 03:36 PM

Can't say I agree at all. Instead I'd have to say that when I'm taking fire it doesn't really feel like I'm being hit.

Posted Image

#6 omnissiah19

omnissiah19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Locationunited states

Posted November 14 2012 - 03:49 PM

yes i agree it needs some kinda Que that im being hit besides the red light
Begin transmission. The world collapses behind me.Posted Image

#7 Katejina

Katejina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 03:55 PM

I personally use the sharpshooter. I don't want you hearing it when you get hit. :/
ign: aethernet

#8 Urvanis

Urvanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted November 14 2012 - 04:45 PM

I do think machine gun fire should be much more noticeable. There times where someone is shooting me in the back while I'm fighting someone else and I have no idea I'm even being hit.
Posted Image

#9 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'd have to disagree... as a music producer, I have a good sound system on my computer.. and the first thing that really impressed me about this game was the sound design.

You can hear every weapon fired even if it's in the distance across the map. The way it's directional and muffled is just awesome. There's tons of bass in the clanking of the mech on startup.. awh.. gushing a little. lol

anyway, I play the game at max settings and I think the weapons are very rewarding. Are you playing on a laptop_ cuz you lose a lot of immersiveness on a small screen and low-end speakers. :D

Edited by Ace4225, November 14 2012 - 09:02 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#10 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:58 PM

View Postomnissiah19, on November 14 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

yes i agree it needs some kinda Que that im being hit besides the red light

I noticed a significant "wisping" sound that sounds like you're getting stuck with spikes whenever I get hit from bullets, but there is a lot of bass in the sound sample itself.. perhaps you might just need better speakers.

There is also a little bit of shaking of your mech as you get hit... it may just get lost in all the cockpit bobbing if you're moving fast. lol

Edited by Ace4225, November 14 2012 - 09:00 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#11 oSPANNERo

oSPANNERo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:46 AM

I feel like if you are taking major damage from some place, there should be major visual/audio feedback. If you are taking minimal damage, maybe that visual/audio feedback would be negligible and could get "lost in the sauce." But if its "gonna leave a mark" then your should feel it.

The visualization in my mind is if I were in an M1A2 buttoned up and rolling down the road at top speed. Now someone starts shooting at the tank with:

an m4/m16 - I am might not going to notice it and might even miss it if they are not right infront of me
an M2 .50Cal - I am probably going to notice based on sound
a Mk-19 - 40mm Grenade launcher sound and probably some motion
an RPG-7 -  Sound AND Motion AND probably some ringing in my ears if its a square hit
a 120mm L6 Wombat - Big sound AND Big Motion AND ringing in my ears AND blood coming out my nose (assuming the tank isn't destroyed.)

Maybe not exactly right and there are plenty of variables but I think you get the picture... If something hits me and does 200 points of damage out of my 600 total, I want to feel like my world was rocked.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users