HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

My fears for Hawken

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:37 PM

I really liked how CBE2 had things with the weapon, mech, and leveling systems. You do have to work for items but it won't take days for one thing, I got most my internals in a day. I feel strongly that everything was balanced and that most of the complaints are coming from a lack of balance with the matchmaking system. There simply was not enough people playing for everyone to be in the right skill level group. So experienced players just got to let loose all event. Now changes are going to be made towards babying it down for new players leaving no rewards for the serious player. I liked getting stronger even though it was only by the tiniest fractions. Just 2% to this and that and everyone thinks you have to be high level to be good and that getting there is unbelievably rough. Please, help..

Posted Image

#2 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:41 PM

There are a lot of noob pilots currently complaining about the leveling system and customization of mechs. It's really sad, because they don't know what they're talking about....

I jumped on this game at the start of CB2. By the next day, I was placing in the top 3 almost every single match. My mechs were lvl 4 or 5 at the highest at that point. I don't play video games that much after growing up, and I haven't played anything online for a long time, so I was surprised at how WELL I was doing... and then I hear ppl that suck complain about how "unbalanced" the game is... lol

sorry.. had to get that off my chest.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#3 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:52 PM

[quote name='Ace4225' timestamp='1352954511' post='93497']
There are a lot of noob pilots currently complaining about the leveling system and customization of mechs. It's really sad, because they don't know what they're talking about....

I jumped on this game at the start of CB2. By the next day, I was placing in the top 3 almost every single match. My mechs were lvl 4 or 5 at the highest at that point. I don't play video games that much after growing up, and I haven't played anything online for a long time, so I was surprised at how WELL I was doing... and then I hear ppl that suck complain about how "unbalanced" the game is... lol

[/quote]Played with you a bit, you're a good pilot.

The problem is that the levels WERE ridiculous. If you hop out of a higher level mech into a low one you can very, very much feel the difference. I'd generally top the boards regardless, but if I wanted a stomp I hopped into something over the level with +75 HP. Towards the end everybody had those stompy mechs and not playing such a mech was suicide if an opponent could aim.

#4 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostAce4225, on November 14 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Thank you for the reply. It feels like to me mech progression is going to die because of all the cry /(Q.Q) cry.

Posted Image

#5 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:59 PM

http://community.pla...-kill-the-game/

Scroll down to the dev response.

#6 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have read that and it didn't ease my worries, only hardened them. Never had any troubles as a C Class and I never got above Level 10 on either of them which took no time at all. For someone to be good at this game someone else has to die. I see more post from the QQ than legitimate complaints. I don't want this trend of implementing changes for the QQ to continue throughout my Hawken career or I'll be ending it shortly.

Edited by Deu, November 14 2012 - 09:11 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Urvanis

Urvanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:08 PM

Mech lvl is just an excuse people make for losing. Not to say it doesn't make a difference. Its just not enough of a difference to justify 3/15/5.

I lvled up a berserker late CB2 and while I didn't do my best till 16, I wasn't far off coming up. I think the major problem is match making. No one has fun just getting out right annihilated. It only takes 1 highly skilled player to clear out a room of beginners, and discourage them from playing the game again.

2 things need to be done. Match making, and browsed servers should be separated. Makes no sense to allow beginners to be match against each other, then have a long timer select their server and mop up. This will still allow friends of different skill level the option to play together on browsed servers. Just not match making servers.

The second. Time based xp needs to be implemented. I used to not understand why so many people though it was such a grind to rank of their mechs, seemed easy to me. till I looked at the xp system. It is entirely based on skill. So people who perform poorly would take weeks to do what it takes me a day to do. Like hawken points there should be a base xp gain from time played, nothing huge. Like 500 for a 15 minute game.

I wont lie, I'm guilty of just nub stomping rooms I should have just left be. But that was mostly because there were no other rooms to play in(I'm in Hawaii so my prime time is pretty late on the mainland), and I wanted to  play. But there going to be those who will seek out these rooms even when more challenging rooms are available. measures need to be taken, or the community will thin out.
Posted Image

#8 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostUrvanis, on November 14 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Mech lvl is just an excuse people make for losing. Not to say it doesn't make a difference. Its just not enough of a difference to justify 3/15/5.

I lvled up a berserker late CB2 and while I didn't do my best till 16, I wasn't far off coming up. I think the major problem is match making. No one has fun just getting out right annihilated. It only takes 1 highly skilled player to clear out a room of beginners, and discourage them from playing the game again.

2 things need to be done. Match making, and browsed servers should be separated. Makes no sense to allow beginners to be match against each other, then have a long timer select their server and mop up. This will still allow friends of different skill level the option to play together on browsed servers. Just not match making servers.

The second. Time based xp needs to be implemented. I used to not understand why so many people though it was such a grind to rank of their mechs, seemed easy to me. till I looked at the xp system. It is entirely based on skill. So people who perform poorly would take weeks to do what it takes me a day to do. Like hawken points there should be a base xp gain from time played, nothing huge. Like 500 for a 15 minute game.

I wont lie, I'm guilty of just nub stomping rooms I should have just left be. But that was mostly because there were no other rooms to play in(I'm in Hawaii so my prime time is pretty late on the mainland), and I wanted to  play. But there going to be those who will seek out these rooms even when more challenging rooms are available. measures need to be taken, or the community will thin out.

Everyone complains in post when they lose but no one makes post when they aren't losing so who do you think is going to be treated more_ Simply a faulty system for gathering information when you only hear from those having troubles getting used to a new game they've never played before. Ty for posting, agreed with every word.

Edited by Deu, November 14 2012 - 09:19 PM.

Posted Image

#9 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:18 PM

No, it just justified my 21 kill streak in Deathmatch(no teams). I'm not that good. A lot of other people getting those ridiculous scores were not that good.

These past two tests have been the least fun I've had with Hawken(PAX East had no NDA, suck it), and it's all because of the levels.

And I'd honestly prefer to have matchmaking stay secondary to server browsing. Servers build communities, matchmaking should be left to ladder players.

#10 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostDeu, on November 14 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

I have read that and it didn't ease my worries, only hardened them. Never had any troubles as a C Class and I never got above Level 10 on either of them which took no time at all. For someone to be good at this game someone else has to die. I see more post from the QQ than legitimate complaints. I don't want this trend of implementing changes for the QQ to continue throughout my Hawken career or I'll be ending it shortly.
How can a post like that harden worries_

Granted, he did note it would mostly be right after open beta (such systems take time to craft and do an initial balance pass, after all) but there's no reason you should feel worse from such a response, and if anything, we'll start seeing elements of it starting with the next beta.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#11 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 14 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

Granted, he did note it would mostly be right after open beta (such systems take time to craft and do an initial balance pass, after all) but there's no reason you should feel worse from such a response, and if anything, we'll start seeing elements of it starting with the next beta.

I liked the mech levels, internals, and upgrade point system and that's everything they want to change to make it easier for someone who just got in the game and decided not to look into the game they were playing and the objectives they need to take over in game. No reward for the person who wants to make Hawken a daily part of his life.

Posted Image

#12 Urvanis

Urvanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostD20Face, on November 14 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

No, it just justified my 21 kill streak in Deathmatch(no teams). I'm not that good. A lot of other people getting those ridiculous scores were not that good.

These past two tests have been the least fun I've had with Hawken(PAX East had no NDA, suck it), and it's all because of the levels.

And I'd honestly prefer to have matchmaking stay secondary to server browsing. Servers build communities, matchmaking should be left to ladder players.

This was done in a lvl 7 mech

Attached File  low lvl spree - cooper.jpg   101.2K   90 downloads

This was done in a lvl 20 mech

Attached File  best spree - fox.jpg   99.49K   87 downloads

Mech lvl isn't the issue, its skill lvl. mec lvl is just easy to blame. Maybe you're just being modest about your ability. considering you wouldn't get to cap out your mech before others unless you were doing well.

Edited by Urvanis, November 14 2012 - 09:58 PM.

Posted Image

#13 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 15 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostDeu, on November 14 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

I liked the mech levels, internals, and upgrade point system and that's everything they want to change to make it easier for someone who just got in the game and decided not to look into the game they were playing and the objectives they need to take over in game. No reward for the person who wants to make Hawken a daily part of his life.
Perhaps, but wouldn't you agree that, at least until after open beta launches, they should be focusing on making this game not "Korean MMO" difficulty in terms of getting to L20, and then figure out how to keep it interesting for people who will play daily_

In a way, they're kind of doing that - making it so you don't have to spend several weeks without a booster to get a mech to L20. :P
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#14 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 05:14 PM

Actually, most complaints in that thread and many others is that high level mechs are strickly better than low level mechs.

The internals and tech trees coming up will make it so that high level players get more OPTIONS, not ADVANTAGES.

And to those saying the tech tree boosts are minimal, you can get +115 Armor via tech tree. That's more than twice what you can get iva internals. Not to mention that its about a +20% armor to a A mech.

Catering to new and casual players is just as important (and arguably more important) than catering to a group of competitive players.

Edited by Hipnox, November 15 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#15 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostHipnox, on November 15 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

I liked the mech levels, internals, and upgrade point system and that's everything they want to change to make it easier for someone who just got in the game and decided not to look into the game they were playing and the objectives they need to take over in game.

Actually, most complaints in that thread and many others is that high level mechs are strickly better than low level mechs.

The internals and tech trees coming up will make it so that high level players get more OPTIONS, not ADVANTAGES.

And to those saying the tech tree boosts are minimal, you can get +115 Armor via tech tree. That's more than twice what you can get iva internals. Not to mention that its about a +20% armor to a A mech.

Catering to new and casual players is just as important (and arguably more important) than catering to a group of competitive players.

The effects are, usually minor with internals/optimizations. The problem is, these buffs are in the hands of the experience, who don't need those things to crush newer players. You are correct if you say that a good player would whoop the newbies easily enough, so why do the vets need a helping hand against those without the time put in_ Your edge should be your skills, not the +10% weapon damage.

No reward for the person who wants to make Hawken a daily part of his life.

The reward is that you get to play a great, well balanced game. Counter-Strike, Doom, Quake, and many others have gotten large player bases and competitive scenes just fine without handing out stat boosts for using the Plasma gun for 30 hours.

Edited by TheChaffeemancer, November 15 2012 - 05:23 PM.

Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#16 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:07 PM

i uploaded this vid to youtube with the intent of posting it as a reply to a lvling qqthread. It features me in a lvl 1 infiltrator on the last day of CBE2

What the devs are proposing seems nice and obviously more balanced than the current system, but it will not solve the problem.

And the problem is people will always find something to blame their loss on.

EDIT: i did not post it as a reply to the qqing threads as i found it was in bad taste for all those whose butt was still sore from the beta.

Edited by h0B0, November 15 2012 - 07:14 PM.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#17 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:18 PM

ur 2 pro 4 every1 5ever

Edited by TheChaffeemancer, November 15 2012 - 07:18 PM.

Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#18 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:13 PM

I am not pro.
I am good yes but far from being a pro.

I have terrible dexterity on my keyboard and constantly forget to use some skills, not to mention i sometimes crack under pressure.

I believe what makes me good is my skill at anticipating my opponents reaction.

Based on my experience in LoL season 1 solo queu i am happy to say i might be part of the top 25% of gamers. if memory serves me right,  Pro LoL players are less then .1%.

I apreciate the compliment tho, although i might have misinterpreted your comment.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#19 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 15 2012 - 10:46 PM

Honestly I hate even the chance of winning based on some stat increase.
I want all my fights to be as close as possible, whether that means a 1v1 or a 1v3, and I want any of those victories to be based as much on my skill as possible.
Having more optimizations/internals/items/etc than my opponent makes fighting less satisfying for me

I don't get why people want to get "stronger" in game. In game stat bonuses are dumb. Hitting that shot that everyone else thought was impossible, or baiting multiple mechs into an ambush while your health is in the red the whole time are where it's at

Edited by Beemann, November 15 2012 - 10:48 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#20 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationOTG Headquarters

Posted November 15 2012 - 10:54 PM

It's really funny to me...

I started no less than three tests this wekend. None matched hawken. All I could think was "This...is boring".

I hope some of you can feel that....All seemsed a test of arcade games. Nothing substantial...

I just hope for everyone that you get what you "feel" is your cubbyhole. Your hideaway.

I just wish it was free to shoot anyone in the head around you in ALL MMOS!!

:P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users