HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A look at the weapons

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 15 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

ur fase dyed
And your face is kawaii~~~♥

Now, show me some of that tsun-tsun genki spirit!

Edited by DarkPulse, November 15 2012 - 06:14 PM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#22 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:42 PM

Please redirect your attentions to the topic at hand, that is, weapons.

the most anime kawaii ugguuuuu~ of things

Edited by TheChaffeemancer, November 15 2012 - 08:42 PM.

Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#23 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hipnox suggest shamelessly stealing taking a look at MechWarrior: Mercenaries' arsenal to see if we are missing a few niches.

(Hawken equivalents colored in orange)
  • Machingun Array - (SMG , AR)
  • Autocannons -  (SA Hawkins)
  • Rotary Autocannons - (D-Vulcan)
  • Lasers - Hitscan laser beam
  • Pulse lasers - rapid fire hitscan laser beam
  • PPC - Long range lectricity bolt that disrupts huds and electronics
  • Flamethrower - Gives heat to the target
  • gauss rifles (Sabot rifle, slug rifle)
  • LBX shotguns - (Flack cannon)
  • LongTom artillery - High caliber ordnance
  • Long Range Missiles - guided missiles, require locking. Fires in volleys (Hellfire)
  • Medium Range Missiles - guided missiles with shorter range, faster lock. Fires in volleys
  • Cstrke Short Range Missiles - Guided missiles with very short range, extremely fast locking. Fires in volleys
  • Short Range missiles - Dumbire missiles. Fires in volleys
  • Rocket Launcher - Dumbfire slow moving, ballistic rockets
  • Arrow Thunderbolt - High caliber guided missile
  • Arrow Thunderbolt Cluster - High caliber guided missile with AOE explotion

Edited by Hipnox, November 15 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#24 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted November 15 2012 - 10:23 PM

To be honest i think that TOW missile should follow its name and actually be Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-guided :D

I think it should be made like the rocket launcher from Half Life (with the red dot tracker)

About SA hawkins i agree, the gun is pretty terrible and subpar when compared to other automatic ballistic weapons, but it looks awesome!

Edited by Juodvarnis, November 15 2012 - 10:24 PM.

Posted Image
*sigh*

#25 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 04:55 AM

Looking awesome is about the only good thing regarding the SA Hawkins. :P

#26 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 05:43 AM

View PostJuodvarnis, on November 15 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

To be honest i think that TOW missile should follow its name and actually be Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-guided :D
I think it should be made like the rocket launcher from Half Life (with the red dot tracker)
Indeedly-doo; although, the TOW is already the Swiss army knife of the Hawken weapons arsenal so if it were to become true TOW technology it might need reigning in somewhere else.

Seeing as I know the devs like these (http://community.pla...ame/#entry92721), I'm going to put a suggested solution down in this format:-

Weapon: TOW Launcher
Level 0: Factory Standard.  TOW weapon uses default factory configuration.
Level 1: Wire-Guided.  TOW weapon loses its remote detonate ability in favour of being wire-guided.
Level 2: Thermobaric Air Burst.  TOW weapon’s AoE radius is doubled, with scaling damage improved to match, but the direct hit damage bonus is lost.
Level 3: Brag Tag (cosmetic).  ‘Tomahawk’ weapon skin unlocked.  TOW weapon also sports a Battle Banner that hangs down from the weapon arm.

#27 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 09:53 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 16 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

Looking awesome is about the only good thing regarding the SA Hawkins. :P

And what about the fact that the Hawkins is useable at all ranges_ It has a good rate of fire, workable damage output, next to no spread, and reasonable projectile speeds. It's not the best in any category, but you can use it in all situations. Sure, a slug rifle might be better at sitting in the back, and the Flak is better up close. The Hawkins, on the other hand, is never "useless" in a fight.

As for taking weapons from Mechwarrior, that is a route that Hawken does not need to go. What's important is that Hawken gets a respectable arsenal that fits it, without diluting its identity to being "Mechwarrior counterstrike" or something like that.

(Kiwi laughed at the idea of the Vulcan being a RAC, that is not correct)

#28 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 16 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

As for taking weapons from Mechwarrior, that is a route that Hawken does not need to go. What's important is that Hawken gets a respectable arsenal that fits it, without diluting its identity to being "Mechwarrior counterstrike" or something like that.

Actually, i was using MechWarror's arsenal as a way to compare niche weapons and find out if we are missing something.

Missile volleys of every range and gudance system (and dumbfire) imaginable are littered throughout MW, and Hawken only has one. Not that it needs any more. i was just comparing.

And about the RAC vs the Vulcan, i can't really find any other weapon that can come close to the Point D. Sure the RAC can jam (which by the way, could be a good balancing mechanic for the Vulcan) but aside from that, they are both rapid fire miniguns.

#29 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostHipnox, on November 16 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Actually, i was using MechWarror's arsenal as a way to compare niche weapons and find out if we are missing something.

Missile volleys of every range and gudance system (and dumbfire) imaginable are littered throughout MW, and Hawken only has one. Not that it needs any more. i was just comparing.

And about the RAC vs the Vulcan, i can't really find any other weapon that can come close to the Point D. Sure the RAC can jam (which by the way, could be a good balancing mechanic for the Vulcan) but aside from that, they are both rapid fire miniguns.

The rate of fire for the RAC in MW:Mercs was closer to a burst fire rifle rather then a Vulcan. Right now, Hawken doesn't need 30 different missiles. Kiwi does get what you're trying to say, but you have to remember, this is an FPS not a Sim. MW4 is a sim so it has different requirements and rules for its arsenal.

#30 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 16 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hello ladies.

Look at your Assault Rifle, now back at my SA Hawkins, now back at your Assault Rifle, now back at my SA.
Sadly, your Assault Rifle isn't my SA, but if it stopped pretending to be an infantry weapon and switched to a anti-vehicle weapon, it could be as cool as the SA.

Look down, back up, where are you_
You in a mech, with the weapon your weapon could be like.

What's that on your mechs arm, back at me. I have it, it's a HEAT cannon with awesome mechanics you love.

Look again, the HEAT is now a EOC.

Anything is possible when your mech is using mech weapons and not silly infantry weapons.

I'm on a horse.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, November 16 2012 - 11:37 AM.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#31 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 16 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

I'm on a Brawler.

Fixed dat for ya.

#32 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostRoundlay, on November 15 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Who's Kiwi_

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 15 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Kiwi has no idea.

This made me laugh so hard. I was waiting for someone to say it. I'm not reading any farther because these third person posts with alternate names is annoying me.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#33 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 17 2012 - 07:18 AM

And what about the fact that the Hawkins is useable at all ranges_ It has a good rate of fire, workable damage output, next to no spread, and reasonable projectile speeds. It's not the best in any category, but you can use it in all situations. Sure, a slug rifle might be better at sitting in the back, and the Flak is better up close. The Hawkins, on the other hand, is never "useless" in a fight.
Being the jack-of-all-trades performer definitely doesn't help carve it a niche. (And for what it's worth, the Slug Rifle is also useable at all three ranges.)

#34 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 17 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostBeefC4ke, on November 16 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

View PostRoundlay, on November 15 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Who's Kiwi_

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 15 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Kiwi has no idea.

This made me laugh so hard. I was waiting for someone to say it. I'm not reading any farther because these third person posts with alternate names is annoying me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is bugged by that.

Posted Image

#35 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 17 2012 - 07:37 PM

I don't get the whole liking the SA Hawkins and hating the AR and SMC. They are ultimately similar weapons with different looks, names and balances.

Technically the AR would be a misnomer. At that size, mounted on a robot - it ceases to be an assault rifle and ends up being more of an autocannon. Though frankly, I don't mind the names - it's something familiar and easily identifiable. I look at the names, I know what most of the weapons would do without having to try them out or read descriptions.

I understand the need for more varied weapons, but what's with the lambasting of the regular bullet weapons_ Would you like it better if it was called an Assault Cannon or had some more fancypants name and description_

Personally I think its fine to have the 'regular' weapons. What does more mech-like even mean anyway_ Lets make everything chunky and semi-automatic and give them names like 75mm Cannon or [Ficitional Company Name]-X50 Armour breaker_

#36 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 17 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostDreizehn, on November 17 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

I don't get the whole liking the SA Hawkins and hating the AR and SMC. They are ultimately similar weapons with different looks, names and balances.

Technically the AR would be a misnomer. At that size, mounted on a robot - it ceases to be an assault rifle and ends up being more of an autocannon. Though frankly, I don't mind the names - it's something familiar and easily identifiable. I look at the names, I know what most of the weapons would do without having to try them out or read descriptions.

I understand the need for more varied weapons, but what's with the lambasting of the regular bullet weapons_ Would you like it better if it was called an Assault Cannon or had some more fancypants name and description_

Personally I think its fine to have the 'regular' weapons. What does more mech-like even mean anyway_ Lets make everything chunky and semi-automatic and give them names like 75mm Cannon or [Ficitional Company Name]-X50 Armour breaker_
It's not about disliking the AR or SMC and whatnot per se.
It's about them not being very imaginative weapons.

The SA is what would happen if you decided to make a tank cannon, strap another on top, and fire them rapidly.
The HEAT is some sort of rail-gun-esqe thing with a charge mechanics.
Hellfires are the sort of thing you'd expect to see on a 2 story tall war-machine, and make you feel like a mobile missile platform.
The EOC... well that's just the EOC.

The AR or SMC and the like are just infantry weapons, supersized. It's not very imaginative.
I mean, heck, the SMC practically looks like a P90.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#37 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted November 17 2012 - 08:11 PM

I haven't given the idea much thought at all, but what about other weapon types other than ballistics and explosives_  I can't decide whether or not I like the idea of laser/plasma/whatever weaponry in hawken.  I'm leaning towards no, but wouldn't be totally against it, I guess.
Chicks dig giant robots.

#38 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 17 2012 - 10:27 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 17 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

The SA is what would happen if you decided to make a tank cannon, strap another on top, and fire them rapidly.

Only superficially. When it comes down to it, it simply is an AR with higher damage, higher accuracy and lower rate of fire. Another bullet hose.

#39 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 17 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostDreizehn, on November 17 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 17 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

Only superficially. When it comes down to it, it simply is an AR with higher damage, higher accuracy and lower rate of fire. Another bullet hose.
You are thinking mechanically, not conceptually.
This thread is about the concept as the primary focus.

On another note, I want to see rocket pods.
Something that fires a bunny-ton of low-damage unguided rockets.

AJK is right

#40 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 17 2012 - 10:58 PM

So basically this is more about flavour and fluff more than the actual gameplay.

Also having two guns strapped together is so much more interesting than one gun_ Honestly.

And frankly, I thought the point of the thread was more edging towards mechanics and gameplay. As earlier mentioned, many machines share weapons, with two classes sharing identical weapons. Which I honestly think is a problem too.

The Berserker/Assault definitely need something differentiating them. And I honestly think the Brawler could do with something besides the TOW.

Edited by Dreizehn, November 17 2012 - 11:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users