HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Mech Repair/Recovery System, how should it work_

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 02:40 PM

I'm guessing there will be some sort of way to repair damage to your mech, I don't know what the developers have planned but here are the possible ways I think it could work (possibly more then one of these methods may be used). How do you think mech repairing should work_

1. Auto-repair module
The player can mount a module that automatically repairs their mech at the expense of firepower and mobility. Likely requires the player to be idle and/or is disrupted if attacked.

2. Repair-kits
Some form of repair-kits that are either loaded onto a mech pre-battle by the player when setting up their mech, or picked up during battle. Each kit can only be used once. If modular damage is implemented players could have to choose what module they want to repair.

3. Service depots
Special zones that the player can enter where their mech will get 'serviced', likely to be in areas like team bases. The service area/structure could be exposed meaning the player is still vulnerable to enemy fire, or sheltered so it protects the player while repairing. Service depots could also be a destroyable structure that could be a primary target for attacking enemies.

4. Medic Module
A special tool a mech can be equipped with in place of a weapon that allows them to repair other mechs in the field. Could possibly be used to repair themselves.

#2 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:39 PM

actually i think the mechs self repair when they shut down, but thats just an inference from the trailer, i have no proof
Mech time all the time

#3 KellAset

KellAset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:51 PM

I vote for repair stations, like in Mechwarrior games. Repair modules/backpacks or smth like that for mechs that can be used to repair other mechs are ok too. Repairs should take time but I'm not sure if self repairing with such special equipment should be allowed.

#4 Goblinoid

Goblinoid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 07:25 AM

Flyingdebris said:

actually i think the mechs self repair when they shut down, but thats just an inference from the trailer, i have no proof

Yea this is seems accurate, I'd guess it's an activated ability. I believe there's an interview where this dynamic is discussed; you can repair anywhere, but it leaves you open to attack, so knowing when/where to repair becomes an important skill.

IMO this is a good way to go, as long as it's a relatively slow repair (compared to mainstream CoD health regen). Maybe it could be slow at first, but accelerate over time, so repairing is useful, but not mid-battle.

As for visuals/animation, I'd like to see either your little pilot climb out and bang on stuff or sparks/lights from the cockpit.

#5 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 28 2011 - 07:33 AM

i wouldn't mind just seeing sparks and stuff, maybe even have little mechanical spider arms that fold out of a mech and start spot welding the mech.
Mech time all the time

#6 KellAset

KellAset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 28 2011 - 09:01 AM

I really think that self repair ability is a bad idea. First we will see mechs that can do (100% _) self repairs and next ability to self resupply with additional ammo :_:   :_ .

#7 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 28 2011 - 09:17 AM

So far, it appears that in order to repair yourself, you have to completely shut down your mech. You can see it in the gameplay video, too. It switches to 3rd person, but some other guy starts blasting him, so he runs off instead.

I guess it will also wipe your signature off the radar, so you'll have to do it in well-hidden places.
I'm hoping there's a limit to how much you can repair yourself that way, though. Completely recovering from near-wrecked status just by shutting your mech down for a while would seem kind of lame.  :|

#8 Porcupine

Porcupine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 09:50 AM

Would be cool if you could customize your mech build for a repair/support role.

Wouldn't make much sense in a "free for all" match, but in team matches would be very interesting to see mechs with different roles.

#9 Goblinoid

Goblinoid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 29 2011 - 09:01 AM

Jack Dandy said:

I guess it will also wipe your signature off the radar, so you'll have to do it in well-hidden places.
I'm hoping there's a limit to how much you can repair yourself that way, though. Completely recovering from near-wrecked status just by shutting your mech down for a while would seem kind of lame.  :|

I hadn't thought of the radar... I like that idea.

I don't think repairing should be a fast process, but if it's a problem I could see a system of permanent damage (small % of damage taken) that can't be repaired, diminishing returns on repairing, or some sort of limit as you mentioned to take care of it.

#10 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 29 2011 - 10:43 AM

For the moment, I just gonna say that I personally do not like repair areas/siffons. Maybe many of you will not agree on that. But, IMO, it breaks gameplay pretty much.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#11 Alcatraz

Alcatraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 29 2011 - 10:25 PM

It would be awesome if it was on the fly repair (as goblinoid stated). For example the pilot of the mech has to get out and tune his mech up or you can call in some small repair machines that fly in from some off map location/base and fix the mech.
Also would there be a limit or way that you are able to repair_ Like (challenging for me to put this out there) a killstreak bonus or something_
Also in the end i have to agree The_Silencer Unless the repair system was extremely limited to only being able to be used once per spawn and only repairing a reasonable percentage or something of the sort.

#12 Arsonade

Arsonade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted April 30 2011 - 09:16 AM

Not exactly the most popular opinion probably,
but there is something to be said for a game-play style without repairing, or 'medkits' which are sparse and not very effective. It might actually serve for a faster, more quake-like atmosphere. Not that I would prefer this to be the whole game (I like the shutdown to repair - get off the radar option), but it would make for a pretty hectic and fun match option no_

#13 Sledgecrushr1

Sledgecrushr1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted April 30 2011 - 10:18 AM

I dont think there should be any way to field repair your mech.  Damage shold be cumalative and non-repairable.

#14 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 30 2011 - 03:13 PM

Sledgecrushr said:

I dont think there should be any way to field repair your mech.  Damage shold be cumalative and non-repairable.

Eh, well that's not totally appropriate either imo.  An army is going to want to keep their equipment in the best possible shape, so I think the best thing would be some kind of repair station at a team's base, making the players trek back to heal and lose valuable time, but at the same time get something out of it.

#15 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 30 2011 - 03:34 PM

I definitely think that it should be, in one way or another, repairs in this game.

Does that mecha power-off state that we saw in the gameplay video equals to repairs_. I mean, has this been officialy mentioned anywhere_

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#16 Ganthir

Ganthir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSteel City

Posted May 01 2011 - 06:07 AM

(Just my opinions like usual)

The shutdown and auto-repair idea sounds like the most sensible and it adds a unique tactical element to survival and gives a better balance in the cat/mouse style gun-battles. Instead of having to run around with 20% health or searching around for health packs that spawn in specific areas that somebody would memorize you would be able to find a nice hiding spot or cover to begin repairing yourself, and on top of that you wouldn't need to rely on another player for repairs which would probably be reliable about 36% of the time.. that's if 1: they're a team player. 2: They aren't dead or too far away. 3: If they're close enough to even reach you in time.

And if you have dedicated healing (A player designated for repairing others) You have to take into account how they might just follow the "Heavy unit" and be constantly giving them support while ignoring the rest of the team. Take out the human factor and your problems are solved.

The solution is self-reliance
! :)

#17 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 01 2011 - 03:32 PM

I personally like the idea of a repair depot, especially in team-type matches like CTF or Team-fortress like capture point battles, it is the most realistic and would give teams a sort of focal point, especially if they were destroyable structures whose destruction that required defending and would an incentive to get to the enemy base instead of camping in one spot the whole match.

An idea could be that you could use repair kits of some sort in field BUT they can only do minor repairs, for major repairs to get back to 100% you would have to go to a service depot back at base.

Example:

One of legs gets taken out (0% functionality) and becomes dead weight that severely slows you down to a snail's pace (pretty much you can't go anywhere), you can use a repair kit to get it back up to 50% functionality so that you can at least move at half-speed, this would allow you to limp back to base to get a full repair back to 100% functionality.

Repairing in-field takes some time, if you are hit while doing a field-repair the repair fails and you lose the kit.

#18 Rawkza

Rawkza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHawaii Five-O

Posted May 03 2011 - 09:17 AM

Air Drop Mobile Mech Repair Bays at discreet locations during the heat of battle. Limit the amount of air drops per mission/matches.

Also limit the amount of time to use the mech bay like Mechcommander, after the power/energy is used up that Mech bay is no longer available. That way the most damaged mechs or mechs needed gets first priority.

#19 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted May 03 2011 - 01:39 PM

The_Silencer said:

I definitely think that it should be, in one way or another, repairs in this game.

Does that mecha power-off state that we saw in the gameplay video equals to repairs_. I mean, has this been officialy mentioned anywhere_

Yeah, pretty sure it was mentioned in one of the interviews.

Don't remember which one, though...

#20 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted May 03 2011 - 02:03 PM

Khang Le said:

One of the most suspenseful aspects of Hawken is the fact that your health does not auto regenerate like most modern FPS. If you're low on health, you must duck out and find a spot to hide and repair your mech. It's an adrenaline rush to just barely cheat death and heal yourself in a dark corner somewhere hoping not to get killed in the process. One of the strategies of the game is to know when to run away. It's not all about constant offense in Hawken.
From their interview with IGN.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users