HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

THEY RUINED SEIGE MODE!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted November 20 2012 - 04:06 PM

Title says it all really.

Haven't slept the last 15 or so hours so forgive me if I don't go into too much detail st this point but basically with the bases having only 2 'health' and less energy to launch said ships the games go WAY too quickly now.

I played siege mode because I DIDN'T want to play a quick game like DM or even MA for that matter.

AND I really didn't think they needed to make collecting from the energy 'trees' have a plain old on/off state. If it was too confusing for some people include the slower transfer rate info in the tutorial and tell noobs to RTFM!
It has just taken all the (good) little strategic nuances away from the mode! GAH!! ANGRYYYYYYY!!!!!

Bad Devs, go sit in the corner and think about what you have done!
Posted Image

#2 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 04:14 PM

I've played Siege matches lasting 40 minutes start to finish..

This isn't League of Legends...

I think it is reasonable.
Posted Image

#3 RudaForce

RudaForce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted November 20 2012 - 04:20 PM

Haven't been able to play CBE3, and won't until Wednesday, but the original Siege matches could (and often would) last forever. And by forever, I mean until one team decided to give up. Also, what did they do to the energy collector things_

Posted Image

"I don't have a favourite quote."

#4 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 20 2012 - 04:21 PM

Sige mode is to fast now, and the applied solution  for problems form CB2 unfortunately ruined this mod pretty much.

View PostRudaForce, on November 20 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Haven't been able to play CBE3, and won't until Wednesday, but the original Siege matches could (and often would) last forever. And by forever, I mean until one team decided to give up. Also, what did they do to the energy collector things_

Just enough to reduce the possibility of shooting down battleship to a minimum, If not shot up at least once or twice with AA.
Slightly increase speed of filling EU the mech and the station.

Edited by KaszaWspraju, November 20 2012 - 04:51 PM.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#5 SGRock

SGRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 20 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostEMEUTIER, on November 20 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

Title says it all really.

Haven't slept the last 15 or so hours so forgive me if I don't go into too much detail st this point but basically with the bases having only 2 'health' and less energy to launch said ships the games go WAY too quickly now.

I played siege mode because I DIDN'T want to play a quick game like DM or even MA for that matter.

AND I really didn't think they needed to make collecting from the energy 'trees' have a plain old on/off state. If it was too confusing for some people include the slower transfer rate info in the tutorial and tell noobs to RTFM!
It has just taken all the (good) little strategic nuances away from the mode! GAH!! ANGRYYYYYYY!!!!!

Bad Devs, go sit in the corner and think about what you have done!

Thank you for expressing this so perfectly.
I have nothing to add other than total support for your position on this matter.
Occupation:  Old guy (do it long enough and you get really good at it)

Super cool jpg goes here>

#6 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ahem.  Still can't get into a game or buy a mech, but if what this guy is saying is true, +1.  This sounds like I'm going to be disappointed (if I can ever get into a match).
errything is pink chex, errything is pink chex

#7 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 05:28 PM

Scratch that, got into a match.  Wow, now people can drop out of Siege EVEN FASTER.  Complete garbage.

edit:  Sorry, let me try to be more constructive.

I got into a siege match from the very beginning.  Got into a couple scraps, had a fairly newish team (just a guess based on performance).  Watched the count go from the top to 96 in the first minute or so of the match.  3 players drop instantly.

There's gotta be a middle ground here.

Edited by Ollie, November 20 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#8 R3TRI8UTI0N

R3TRI8UTI0N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMuskegon, Michigan

Posted November 20 2012 - 05:37 PM

I like it. Keeps the game from becoming repetitive and allows some sooner breaks. Plus, I don't waste a ton of XP if I have to leave in the middle of a ridiculous, nearly hour long game. I support the new siege.

Edited by R3TRI8UTI0N, November 20 2012 - 05:38 PM.

Posted Image

#9 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 07:59 PM

It still needs some tweaks, but at least I want to play it now. 45+ minute matches were absurd.

#10 Etan

Etan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMInnesota

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:13 PM

Its definatly a more competitive game type now. I noticed teamwork is even more essential now and you need to do it at the start. The first ship is up way to fast tho energy needs to take a little longer to gather
Posted Image

#11 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostR3TRI8UTI0N, on November 20 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

I like it. Keeps the game from becoming repetitive and allows some sooner breaks. Plus, I don't waste a ton of XP if I have to leave in the middle of a ridiculous, nearly hour long game. I support the new siege.

they needed to make ships faster or change the AA damage or have extra EU be able to speed up the ship or power up the AA not do what they did.

I would have liked a 30 minute cap even more then what they did.

#12 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'm stuck downloading the patch so I haven't tried the new seige mode, but I was in a battle that lasted over an hour in CB2... and it got tedious. I support a (configurable_) time limit.

[The teams were so evenly matched that niether could gain the upper hand. We lost shortly after someone came in the room and started up a conversation with me and so I effectively stopped playing, thus putting our team down a player, and giving the other team the edge. With a time limit I could at least say "Hey, I'll be done in X minutes", but with no limit the way it was, I had no idea if the match would ever end.]

#13 gunhe4d

gunhe4d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:49 PM

I don't know, the problem with the matches being so quick is that a losing team has very little chance of pulling it together and making a comeback.  In CB2, I was in a game where we were down to one point to the enemy team's three, then we figured out how to work together to maintain control of the AA and turned it around for a win.  It was epic and the sense of accomplishment was extremely rewarding.  The siege matches I played today in CB3 were just over far too quick and always ended with one team not losing any base points.

Tweak other aspects to keep the overall game time low, sure, but at least keep the base points at 3.

#14 Crimson_Corsair

Crimson_Corsair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:05 PM

I liked the old reservoir style eu trees. They forced choices. Do you let one mech at a time fill up and send EU back in nice big chunks_ Or do you have a couple mechs suck it dry and scrammoose, leaving nothing for the enemy_
now its just sit and gather.

Posted Image

#15 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:21 PM

I've got a chance to play a couple more rounds.  I think the "gather" phase happens too quickly, and I think the fight isn't forced at either end by what seems to be a more generous gifting of EU.  I'm not sure I really care about the 2 hit points on the base (it's usually decided in 2 anyhow), but the slide from level to getting your face kicked in (or vice versa) seems pretty sudden to me.

#16 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:00 AM

I tried a few rounds of the new design on siege, and I have to say...

Please put it back

• Two pips on a base is too small.  Like many others, if I wanted a quick match, I would have done straight DM.
  • The EU trees...  This constant availability kills a part of the strategy that was present in CBT2.
I know that the point was to help keep matches from running too long.  But a lot of us liked the potential for long matches.  I don't recall seeing anyone in the forums complaining about the length, or potential length, of the siege matches, so why fix something that really wasn't broke to begin with_

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#17 Lithium03

Lithium03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:06 AM

View Postbacon_avenger, on November 21 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

I don't recall seeing anyone in the forums complaining about the length, or potential length, of the siege matches, so why fix something that really wasn't broke to begin with_

You weren't reading the forums then.

#18 Manoloco

Manoloco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:13 AM

Team balance is atrocious, there should be a penalty for those leaving the match and those switching teams to convinience.

shuffle high leveled players (i have seen matches where almost all leveled players are on one side and almost all lvl 0 mechs on the other.)

you can imagine the amount of quitters that result out of that.

Theres also an issue with people using teammates as bait, its reasonable to take advantage of flanking a skirmish, but to WAIT for your teammates to get ambushed and then coming into battle when your teammates are about to blow is another thing, the balance right now doesnt promote team playing, at all.

I can manage to play as it is, but it should be more fun, the current way things are being handled is taking a big chunk out of the fun (it was a problem before too i know, but it hasnt been solved), team deathmatch suffers of this too; havent played missile yet on CBE3

#19 VertoPrime

VertoPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHawaii (Oahu) USA

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:23 AM

There is nothing competitive about short battles if this is the case then change the mode name from Siege to Base Assault.  Siege battles are never short in duration that is why its called Siege.
Posted Image
Win7 Home Premium 64bit, AMD Athlon ™ II X4 620 2.60 GHz, 6GB ram, Geforce GTX550 Ti 2gb

#20 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostVertoPrime, on November 21 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

There is nothing competitive about short battles if this is the case then change the mode name from Siege to Base Assault.  Siege battles are never short in duration that is why its called Siege.
I'll let Quake and CS know that they were never competitive. Those 10 year periods of ESports status never happened

The mode really did need to be shorter, but they did remove some of the depth. EU collection as it was before didn't promote enough fighting. Now it promotes even more passive play

Edited by Beemann, November 21 2012 - 03:17 AM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users