HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

THEY RUINED SEIGE MODE!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:34 PM

ok ok ok wait. I've heard 2 different things on how EU collection worked in CB2 now. Even in this thread there is no consensus.

In CB2, EU collection

A. decreased if there were more people trying to tap the same EU tower.

B. was a steady drip until the EU tower was full. EU collection would slow down when the tower was drained and that steady drip was all that you were collecting.

Edited by ItsThatGuy, November 23 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#62 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:48 PM

I'm on the fence about the shorter mode. There were times that a siege mode game did feel like a chore. With that said, my favorite match was an epic 16v16 siege mode. I honestly don't even remember if we won or lost because that wasnt the important part. The teams figured each other out and adapted. People took on roles. We got into a groove and played as a team which is sometimes really hard for 8 strangers to do.

I think what is important about this thread is that there is a portion of this community that likes longer matches. This is great for eSports. I haven't played LoL much but is 3v3 shorter than 5v5_ Perhaps there's room here for two different tiers of siege mode. I'm assuming this would satisfy both camps without killing the matchmaking population for either.

Edited by ItsThatGuy, November 23 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#63 bac9

bac9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostItsThatGuy, on November 23 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

ok ok ok wait. I've heard 2 different things on how EU collection worked in CB2 now. Even in this thread there is no consensus.

In CB2, EU collection

A. decreased if there were more people trying to tap the same EU tower.

B. was a steady drip until the EU tower was full. EU collection would slow down when the tower was drained and that steady drip was all that you were collecting.
No.

C. Towers had a fixed EU generation rate (quite slow), max capacity and fixed transfer rates to mechs nearby. Available EU was visualized with green tanks visible on the tower: these were visibly depleted accordingly. Several mechs tapping into the same tower would quickly deplete all reserves even though generation was running all the time. Once the tower is depleted, EU gain from it, naturally, reduced to that tiny generation rate (additionally divided if several players were sitting there).

This made EU valuable. If you're seeing several teammates near a tower, you should head elsewhere. If you're seeing an enemy rushing from a tower, chances are this tree is now empty and you must kill him at all costs to grab his EU, preventing the enemy team from using it. If you are full, you should rush to your base immediately or risk losing hard-earned EU to the enemy.

Changes to EU trees removed all these situations and any need for confrontation. No point in holding two trees at once to maintain a decent EU gain, no point ambushing people on tree exits or attacking supply chains, etc.

Edited by bac9, November 24 2012 - 12:56 AM.

#64 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 05:17 AM

I kind of support the new seige... but it would be nice if there were optional servers where it was longer. Siege Extended, maybe_ With 32 players_ 'Twould give me a case of the happiers...

Wait; I take that back; no it won't. They nerfed SS into Oblivion. NVM.
"There is no true genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results; that is the definition of insanity." - Albert Einstein
"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." General George Patton
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Only two things are infinite: The universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

#65 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 09:49 AM

View Postbac9, on November 24 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

View PostItsThatGuy, on November 23 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

No.

C.

I think I meant the same thing you said in C but probably didnt explain it as well. You will find in this post however that some people thought that the amount of EU going into your mech's tanks was based on the number of people tapped into the tower. The point at which the tower's tanks go from not empty to empty, was perceived as a change in the rate of EU because another mech stepped up to the tower.
I know I thought this until I asked about it in some other post.

My point is that we're discussing all this yet this basic mechanic of the game is misunderstood.

I miss the old mechanic though I do think they could've messaged the mechanics of it better.

#66 hammerhead

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationQuebec City, Canada

Posted November 24 2012 - 09:59 AM

Siege went from my favorite mode in CB2 to a mode I don't even want to play in CB3. I did read they are working on something they think we will like though. Let's hope it's awesome.

#67 bac9

bac9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostItsThatGuy, on November 24 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

I miss the old mechanic though I do think they could've messaged the mechanics of it better.
Absolutely! I think that the fact that sitting at a single EU tree with your teammates is pointless should be repeated and highlighted for new players, along with advice on alternatives (intercepting enemy supply chain or rushing to other tree). Maybe even add some sort of sound alert and interface notification when the tree you're sitting at is depleted, not just mention that in skippable tutorials.

More than once I had to explain that via chat in CBT2 to folks in turrets sitting around EU trees, so when the old mechanics will be brought back I'd really like to see a bit of changes in informing new players about the Siege mechanics.

Edited by bac9, November 24 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#68 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Postbac9, on November 24 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

View PostItsThatGuy, on November 24 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Maybe even add some sort of sound alert and interface notification when the tree you're sitting at is depleted, not just mention that in skippable tutorials.

Actually I checked and they don't mention that in the tutorials. They also make it seem like if you defend the AA, your battleship is fine and nothing else can hurt it.

#69 virella

virella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 09:21 PM

from what ive seen in CB3 ive had several matches under 10 min which for an objective match type is crazy, DM or TDM 10 min is fine, heck 5 min is fine, objective matches are supposed to be longer shortest ive seen is 9 min 30 seconds, anyone seen shorter.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users