15 replies to this topic

Saturnine

Saturnine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Saturnine's Guide to the Classes

A common question that I see people asking all over the place both on and off the forums is the question "Which mech should I pick next?" Whenever I try to answer this question, I always do my best to see what kind of mech the person asking the question has been piloting is, and go from there to try and find out what they do and do not like about that particular mech.

As you can imagine, this tends to be a fairly time-consuming process. So, I decided that I would write a guide for all of the mechs, and go over their strengths and weaknesses relative to each other. This way, people can make a more informed decision about which mech they should pick next if they liked their current mech, or, similarly, which mechs they may want to avoid for one reason or another.

Now, I am well aware that an Official Game Guide has come about, however I do think that this guide has its own, separate purpose in helping people come to a decision on their next mech.  This guide will be giving more in-depth analysis on each mech's capabilities standing on it's own, as well as relative to the others. This way you, and others in the community, can make a more informed decision as to where to go next. This guide will hopefully be simple enough that it will still be helpful to new players, as well as in-depth enough to teach some of the more experienced pilots a few new things. Sooo... let the guide begin!

Table of Contents
Intro
The CRT Recruit
A classes
   *Berserker
   *Infiltrator
   *Reaper
   *Scout
   *Technician
B classes
   *Assault
   *G2 Assault
   *Bruiser
   *Raider
   *Sharpshooter
C classes
   *Brawler
   *Grenadier

*G2 Raider

*Incinerator
   *Rocketeer
   *Vanguard Cupcake
Weapons
   *Secondary Weapons
   *Primary Weapons
Stats
Credits
   *Useful Links

CR-T Recruit

Spoiler

A Classes

A class chassis mechs are the lightest and fastest in the game, but the most fragile.

A class mechs are often the most popular ones in the game.

Berserker

Spoiler

Infiltrator
Spoiler

Reaper

Spoiler

Scout
Spoiler

Technician
Spoiler

Edited by Saturnine, 07 May 2015 - 03:23 PM.

• Crminimal, Guns_N_Rozer, TheFrostnessMonster and 5 others like this

3PGQhH7.gif

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot? Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, even the world-famous Loc_Tr? Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

Saturnine

Saturnine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

B classes

B classes are right in the middle of the road. Average speed, average EU capacity, average health.

Assault

Spoiler

Bruiser
Spoiler

Predator
Spoiler

Raider
Spoiler

Sharpshooter
Spoiler

Edited by Saturnine, 23 March 2015 - 12:21 PM.

• Crminimal and Guns_N_Rozer like this

3PGQhH7.gif

Want to hang out with some awesome people, even the world-famous Loc_Tr? Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

Saturnine

Saturnine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

C Classes

C classes are at the ‘fat’ end in Hawken. Commonly collectively referred to as ‘fatties’ these mechs have the lowest speed and maneuverability, but they gain toughness in return. C classes as a whole may be hard to get used to, especially as compared to A classes, but if you put the time in, you may find you are one of those pilots who finds that C classes are the choice for you.

Turret Mode: Before we go into detail about the C classes, we should go over an ability most of them share, that has some unique mechanics, and a set of heavy drawbacks. When these C classes use their ability, it goes into turret mode, wherein the C class has increased armor, and another perk, at the cost of almost all of their mobility. They can move around, but very slowly, and they cannot dodge or boost while in turret mode. While that extra armor and the perk may be tempting, always keep in mind that Hawken is a game of mobility first, and that goes for C classes as much as it does for A classes. There are certainly situations where turret mode can be useful - however, I strongly recommend becoming very comfortable with your fatty of choice before attempting to use turret mode. Turret mode is an extremely situational ability, and I may go over some situations where you may find it useful, but for many players, the loss of mobility is simply not worth it.  If you start to get used to turret mode to the exclusion of regular mode early in your fatty career, it may become a crutch in your progression as a C class pilot, which will hinder your ability to become truly used to it. With the implementation of Ascension, Turreted C classes now all have the ability to 'boost' while in turret mode, which lets them move quite a bit faster than previously, but still slower than the average "run" speed of your C class. They also have the ability to fire their weapons while boosting in this state, like the Raider, as well as some other changes to special abilities per turret mode and damage reduction/increases. While these changes do make the Turret mode more useful, it is still an ability that should be used with care.

Now, on to your regularly scheduled guide.

Brawler

Spoiler

G2 Raider

Spoiler

Grenadier

Spoiler

Incinerator

Spoiler

Rocketeer

Spoiler

Vanguard Cupcake

Spoiler

Edited by Saturnine, 23 March 2015 - 12:23 PM.

• Crminimal and Guns_N_Rozer like this

3PGQhH7.gif

Saturnine

Saturnine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Weapons
All weapon stats retrieved from the Hawken Wiki as kindly compiled by Ashfire908

Conquistador has classified all of the weapons in the game as follows, for quick overall reference.

15waqkk.png

I. Charged Burst: Similar to Class II, but charging modifies product behaviour. Time taken to charge weapon results in different effects being assigned to the weapon.
II. Burst: Weapons reload time is significant enough to force experienced pilots to conserve shots. Timing mastery is critical for weapons accuracy and predictable damage output.
III. Semi-auto: Weapons with rapid fire rates that are artificially restricted to exhibit burst behaviour.
IV. Automatic w/ Burst Mode: Can be used like fully-automatic (class V) weapons, but provides benefits to firing in bursts.
V. Fully-auto: Weapons which suffer no detriments to accuracy if triggers are held down. Usually exhibit low damage output.
VI. Charged Fully-auto: Similar to Class V weapons, but require spin-up time to use.

Big thanks to Conquistador for putting the graphic together and writing the explanation! I'm sorry you had to nag me all the time to get this in. I have poor memory. 

Secondary Weapons

These weapons can not be changed. A given mech type will always have the same secondary, and as such a mech is defined, at least in part, by which secondary it has.

Spoiler

Primary Weapons

All mechs have 3 primary weapon choices available to them. The first is available by default, the second is earned upon reaching  mech rank 2 and unlocking the new weapon, and the last is unlocked at rank 3 as the prestige weapon. Mechs without 3 weapons at present will likely get one with future content patches (excluding G2 variants). Alternate weapons must be purchased with EITHER Meteor credits OR Hawken Credits if you want to use it.

Spoiler

Stats - Legacy

Spoiler

Edited by Saturnine, 21 March 2015 - 12:18 PM.

• ReEvolve, Crminimal and Guns_N_Rozer like this

3PGQhH7.gif

Saturnine

Saturnine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Useful Links (many of these are gone due to the demise of the old forums. I would love to replace them with modern versions given the opportunity)
- The Official Hawken Guide (Click)

- WolfyFTW's Mindgamer Youtube series (Click)

(Defunct)
- Hawken Wiki (Click)
- Hawken Tips and Tricks Thread (Click)
- H0b0's guide to items, internals and wise HC spending (Click)
- Hawken Basic Combat Guide (Click)
- The Maps of Hawken (Click)
- The PARIS Project by Conquistador (Click)
- The Master List of Clans (Click)
- Redvan's compilation of Hawken streams (Click)
- Hawken's official Steam Community page (Click)
- TheVulong's guide to weapon loadouts (Click)
- Luminescent's mech stats comparison (Click)

Credits
- A big thanks to the following people for helping to construct this thread and helping bring it to the point where it is now:
Akrium 
ArnieF4440
Ashfire908
Conquistador

Daronicus
H0b0
Houruck
MexichanMan
SS396

Wraithknight 

- A big thanks to everyone on the Forums, without whom, and their conversations, constructing this guide would have been much more difficult, if not impossible.

- A big thanks to everyone I've played with in game, without whom I wouldn't have had the experience using these mechs and weapons, and having these mechs and weapons used so expertly against me.

- Big thanks to everyone in the #hawkenscrim IRC on Quakenet - a lot of really cool guys on there, and they were all very helpful in getting this guide put together.

- Finally, a big thanks to all the people at Adhesive for bringing to us such a great game!

Update: 
The guide has made it to the Front Page! That's amazing! Thank you SO much Team Hawken for your support with this guide and for putting it up on the front page! It is VERY much appreciated! biggrin.png

Update the Second: You can now find this guide on Steam! It should be mostly the same, just a slightly different format. If you notice any problems with it, just like with this, let me know so I can get it fixed! 

Update the Third: Wraithknight - Huge thanks to Wraithknight, who went through the whole guide and fixed the myriad minor grammatical problems that have cropped up over time. 

• ReEvolve, Crminimal and Guns_N_Rozer like this

3PGQhH7.gif

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

I never really read this lol

• Crminimal likes this

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

NOICE TIPS :) LIKE OLD FORUM  :tongue:

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Copy-and-pasted :P

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Saturnine

Saturnine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Copy-and-pasted :P

I wasn't about to rewrite the whole thing from scratch. ;p I did go through and change some wording in places, I fixed links (except ones that can't really be fixed), and I did finally add the G2 Raider.

3PGQhH7.gif

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Any way to use spoilers or something to make it collapsible/maybe make all of the mechs in the table of contents be links? That might make it a little easier to read.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Saturnine

Saturnine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

I can only link to posts, not parts of posts, to my knowledge. I could spoilerize them though.

Edit: And they are now spoilerized.

Edited by Saturnine, 21 March 2015 - 12:20 PM.

3PGQhH7.gif

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

fuzzy bunny you. I can't like this, because I've hit my quota for the day. #increasethelikes.

• Saturnine likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Crminimal

Crminimal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

so much win. I noticed two things though. an update on the Tech prestige weapon might be in order, also on the weapons, Assault rifle no longer benefits from bursts since the removal of weapon spread if I recall correctly.
Stellar work either way!

• Saturnine likes this

Saturnine

Saturnine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

so much win. I noticed two things though. an update on the Tech prestige weapon might be in order, also on the weapons, Assault rifle no longer benefits from bursts since the removal of weapon spread if I recall correctly.
Stellar work either way!

Oh! You're right! I completely forgot that the tech has a prestige weapon now, and I completely forgot about the weapon spread thing. When I get the time, I'll update the relevant sections.

(Unless a subject-expert wants to write/add to the relevant bits themselves and I can just stick it in the guide. :3 )

Edited by Saturnine, 23 March 2015 - 11:39 AM.

• TheFrostnessMonster likes this

3PGQhH7.gif

TheFrostnessMonster

TheFrostnessMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

A really good in-depth description and list of details for the mechs(such as this wonderful one by Saturnine) are exactly what new players will need.  This guide has helped me quite a bit, and I've been with this game on and off since Alpha.  

• Saturnine likes this

CRT master race... No questions allowed.

Period.

Saturnine

Saturnine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

The guide has been updated to include the Technician's PN223 weapon, as well as the G2 Raider. The PN223 does not have a full section under the weapons part of the guide as yet - because I don't have as much of a feel for it still. :/ It's not a very popular weapon among techs, and though I can basically say "it's a high accuracy mid range poking weapon" I don't have much else for it. So if you're a tech player and you know your fuzz about the PN, please let me know so I can give it a proper section!

3PGQhH7.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users