• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Development still has not focused on player retention.

I get the 30+ mechs thing though. It sounds good and one of your higher ups wouldn't take no for an answer, thus 30+ became a hard deliverable. It's flashy and should bring more people to the game right? Problem is, that's the same cart before the horse logic that sunk ADH/MTR. Granted you guys at RL aren't pursuing movie deals and such, but between the console port and they way that was handled it's clear that there has been a focus on bringing Hawken to a new audience. Fix the game first.

Perhaps the numbers will prove me wrong, but this "update" in my estimation is less n00b friendly and will actually be worse for player retention. Changes that are bad for player retention:

• Tutorial no longer starts on its own, it must be sought out.
  • G2 power creep increases the conception of P2W.
  • Increasing HC gain was a good move, but that said you have a mech priced at almost 20k HC. (EDIT: g2 gren is 25k hc EDIT2: G2 Civ is allegedly 45k. what the flying fock). There needs to be enough of a grind to monetize, but not so much as to scare players away. Without having played yet it looks like this will be on the steep end. Also, just because the G2's are essentially the same mech will not alleviate p2w complaints whatsoever. They are straight upgrades from their G1 counterparts and they're also the mechs that cost the most. Lock something that doesn't affect gameplay behind a grind like that instead of the new best mechs in the game.
  • The new UI frankly looks like fuzzy bunny. Yes that affects player retention.
  • Removal of customization (items/internals/weapons/cosmetics). The mech tree is a poor substitute.
  • Too many G2A style mechs. Dual wielding is okay on one mech as a novelty. It's gimmicky and cheap when used on more than that. It also appears that dual wielding mechs don't balance well.
  • You fuzzy bunnyed up balance. I understand that balance was potentially going to be a different animal on console, but instead of starting from the fairly well balanced current itteration of the game, you changed all of the variables at once.
  • The entire release just oozes of sheer incompetence. Errors on the website, confusion about people playing early, and then of course the updates themselves. Get your sh!t together guys.

Expanding your audience doesn't mean jack if they don't want to stick around. Learn from the devs who came before you, take a look at why they failed. Learn from thier mistakes. And perhaps consider some of the advice here on the forums, advice based on thousands of hours of actual gameplay.

Things that might actually improve player retention:

• Include a decent fuzzy bunny tutorial.
  • Fix the in game economy.
  • Fix balance.
  • Make actual values for weapons/mechs/internals/items readily available. Also make sure the descriptions for aforementioned shite is readily available and non-opaque.
  • Expand customization options, also release unreleased assets (paints, drones, etc., just NOT the VI exclusive ones).
  • Give people a reason to say "just one more". Additionally, if you were trying to improve your monetization this is a good way to do that. Make salvage drops purchaseable instead of just a reward - essentially they're just loot crates. There's a reason so many games use loot crates/card packs/stuff that's left up to chance. The gambling part of it is somewhat addicting and leaves people wanting more. It's a tried and true system, and it works.
  • Do more to stop hacking, or at least make the impression that you are. I know that it hasn't been a giant issue in Hawken but it is something people get their panties pretty bunched about.
  • Actually fix known issues, particularly map issues.
  • Release actual mechs, especially the ones we know are partially complete (where's mah pusher)
  • Take another look at this thread, and perhaps implement its suggestion. EDIT: it looks like you did include an all mech bundle. Good on you.
  • Have consistent content updates. This is probably what will do the most work in terms of retention.

To be fair, this update doesn't spell immediate doom for Hawken. But you just blew another one of you chances, and a pretty important one at that. Hawken doesn't have very many mulligans left.

Of course, I have no reason to believe this will fall on anything but dead ears, since you don't communicate properly. Should you read this, I would like to say that this advise is relevant regardless if PC or the current player base is at all part of your target audience.

If anyone else has thoughts to add, please chime in, I'd like to hear it even if Reloaded doesn't.

Spoiler

Edited by crockrocket, 16 August 2016 - 02:05 AM.

• phed, Miscellaneous, Hyginos and 11 others like this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

submit this as a ticket or put it in a place that gets more eyes. reloaded is a bunch of dumb fuzzy bunnys that know nothing.

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

KillerMariosCY

KillerMariosCY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I have been playing the game since the Beta version.

I love the overall design and atmosphere.

I don't believe Reloaded games is capable of providing the same level of design quality as Adhesive games did.

First of all, there are no new mechs and the UI is horrible.

How we can expect future quality content  if the team is not even capable to provide a good UI ?

They have been working to bring the game on consoles without even considering to tackle known issues with map desing, matchmaking and balance.

G2 mechs could potentially bring more balancing problems. Introduction of new mechs should be gradual.

The Alpha Gameplay (https://www.youtube....h?v=udEAEARD-Fo ) is so impressive and atmospheric. You actually believe you are piloting a mech.

I imagine Hawken to be like that. With deep customization system, same level of sound design and virtual reality support.

Reloaded games is not capable to provide that.

Sooner or later console players will get bored and the game will be dead.

Edited by KillerMariosCY, 01 July 2016 - 12:53 PM.

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts
You fuzzy bunnyed up balance.

RIP balance

http://rutube.ru/vid...8bc8063cfbfaa0/

edit. baba-ji sciri mi. can't drop video with media tag xD

Edited by nepacaka, 01 July 2016 - 12:57 PM.

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Updated the OP, mainly to include:

• Make actual values for weapons/mechs/internals/items readily available. Also make sure the descriptions for aforementioned shite is readily available and non-opaque.

Under the suggestions to improve player retention section

!saltstat shouldn't be necessary

Edited by crockrocket, 16 August 2016 - 02:08 AM.

JgQjgkx.png

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Development still has not focused on player retention.

I disagree. I would point out that 505 games had a person who's very job description on their LinkedIn was "player retention" streaming xbox gameplay on launch weekend. I can tell you there was no such designation during ADH/Meteor

• Tutorial no longer starts on its own, it must be sought out.

I've never required a tutorial. There are many well seasoned online shooters that have lasted untold years with healthy server populations that did so without in game tutorials. I think the tips pop-up phenomenon of many AAA shooter titles reflects more so on the changing cultural attitudes.

I can do without clippy in my vidya, tyvm

worstinventions_clippy.jpg

• The new UI frankly looks like fuzzy bunny. Yes that affects player retention.

The first thing I do on r/hawken is uncheck "use subreddit style". Looks are subjective and opinion varies wildly.

Some people continue to hate ascension's ui. Many hold a torch for Alpha.

Also their UI developer died on his way to work last winter.

• Too many G2A style mechs. Dual wielding is okay on one mech as a novelty. It's gimmicky and cheap when used on more than that. It also appears that dual wielding mechs don't balance well.

There are 5 mechs with tow rockets. They introduced 4 dual wield mechs. The Charge was well balanced out of the gate. The Rev gl is underpowered imo. And I haven't played a Civ yet. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it.

The Neif was OP, it is no longer. 2 Neif hotfixes over 2 weeks show that Balance is something they are willing to adjust rapidly and repeatedly.

I can hope that it continues.

Spoiler

• You fuzzy bunnyed up balance. I understand that balance was potentially going to be a different animal on console, but instead of starting from the fairly well balanced current itteration of the game, you changed all of the variables at once.
  • the updates themselves.

The game plays pretty well balance wise. I'll take these updates over no updates at all.

Make actual values for weapons/mechs/internals/items readily available.

Agreed.

• Expand customization options, also release unreleased assets (paints, drones, etc., just NOT the VI exclusive ones).

Customization is nice. New players are bad at it. But I'm all for it.

• Do more to stop hacking, or at least make the impression that you are. I know that it hasn't been a giant issue in Hawken but it is something people get their panties pretty bunched about.

I'll be 1st Tenor in that choir. Preach it.

•  map issues.

Minor. I can live with occasional exploiters in pubs. A little fuzzy bunny-ery is the spice of life.

Fix them when they get a round tuit, Yes.  Priorities.

• Release actual mechs, especially the ones we know are partially complete (where's mah pusher)

Where's his pusher ?!

I believe these things will come to those who wait.

36M.jpg

proct.jpg

kerby.jpg

6867.jpg

Hawken-3.jpg

• coldform likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

The entire release just oozes of sheer incompetence. Errors on the website, confusion about people playing early, and then of course the updates themselves. Get your sh!t together guys.

Lets talk about this:

Spoiler

And this

Spoiler

That isn't even all the stuff that is (and has been for months at this point) broken about the official mech guide.

They spent more than zero effort for an explicit downgrade. I just wish I had saved more of the image media that was available on the website before RLD replaced it all with poorly done photos that have atrocious filter effects over them.

• Miscellaneous, hellc9943, Siamenis and 4 others like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Lets talk about this:

Spoiler

And this

Spoiler

That isn't even all the stuff that is (and has been for months at this point) broken about the official mech guide.

They spent more than zero effort for an explicit downgrade. I just wish I had saved more of the image media that was available on the website before RLD replaced it all with poorly done photos that have atrocious filter effects over them.

well they are game developers not professional photoshop users I would assume so I might cut them some slack because I honestly laughed out loud when I saw how hilariously terribad the photo hacks were done.

Hawken is fun

• CraftyDus and Shade__ like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Lets talk about this:

I just wish I had saved more of the image media that was available on the website before RLD replaced it all with poorly done photos that have atrocious filter effects over them.

I gotchu bud

Q4lMB24.png

• crockrocket, Miscellaneous, LaurenEmily and 3 others like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

hellc9943

hellc9943

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

I gotchu bud

Q4lMB24.png

This needs to become a new thread.

Festivals end, as festivals must

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

I gotchu bud

Q4lMB24.png

TFW someone equates hitscan to sustain

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Last i heard game developers use photoshop a lot...

Edited by dorobo, 16 August 2016 - 10:32 PM.

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

a lot

• dorobo likes this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Stubborn Puppet

• StubbornPuppet likes this

devotion

devotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Q4lMB24.png

when you're in tang practice and nept says "alright time for scrims with omni"

• Silverfire, Miscellaneous, LaurenEmily and 2 others like this

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Crafty make more memes

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

Increase the Memes

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

37c.gif

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Lets talk about this:

Spoiler

And this

Spoiler

Funny I mentioned that pic a few MONTHS back and no one clicked what i was talking about....

^)^ sorry but yeah, old news there...

Incin with an SMC is the image for the MAIN webpage... I lawled, made a post, obviously you didnt notice this

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Funny I mentioned that pic a few MONTHS back and no one clicked what i was talking about....

^)^ sorry but yeah, old news there...

LOL GUYS NOBODY PAID ATTENTION TO ME A FEW MONTHS BACK SO PLEASE DO IT NOW

• Rainbow_Sheep likes this

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Current console numbers appear to reflect my concerns about player retention.

JgQjgkx.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users