• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Once again I know we're a ways away from changing things like this but I'd like to see an actual ranked playlist where teams are forced to pick mechs in a snake draft or so they cannot stack mechs. I think this would result a better balanced game more often and create a more competive environment for those that want it.

Obviously population is an issue and you don't want to split your population, maybe just a couple of servers that work in that manner? Let's try to get past the semantics though and not delve to deeply into what we already understand. What do you guys think?
  • Zdragow, Amidatelion, eth0 and 1 other like this

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

YESSSSSS. I would love to see a ranked server, or two, with snake draft set up. 

Maybe we could test this out with some scirmmages?

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

I mean, we sort of already do this with TPG. You watch what your opponents are picking, if there's something you think you can counter, you do so. TPG rules already limit your mech selection virtually to this.

This would just formalize it and establish counterpicking.

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

I mean, we sort of already do this with TPG. You watch what your opponents are picking, if there's something you think you can counter, you do so. TPG rules already limit your mech selection virtually to this.

This would just formalize it and establish counterpicking.

Well a snake draft would utilize 12 out of the 16(?) mechs 1 mech per person. Not one type per side. I understand that this is partially applied in tpg. I feel this type of system would create a more balanced game for pubs. I jut really hate seeing 3 incinerators on the same team. Or switching mid match just because you're not getting your way. This happens a lot in siege especially because most players cant survive on the AA without the added health. Plus it may help players diversify the mechs they play regularly and allow for more interesting matches IMO.

Tpg is a super small population, only 20-30 players have actually played matches like this regularly outside of War Wednesday.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Oh, so 1 mech type per person in the entire game. Huh. 

I like the idea and I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented. However, I think hellfires need to be redone before this is viable, as neither of those mechs is sufficiently competitive. That, or we need more mechs.

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Oh, so 1 mech type per person in the entire game. Huh.

I like the idea and I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented. However, I think hellfires need to be redone before this is viable, as neither of those mechs is sufficiently competitive. That, or we need more mechs.

Yes I definetly think the rocketeer would be picked least but you never know, there only so many c-type mechs.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Yes I definetly think the rocketeer would be picked least but you never know, there only so many c-type mechs.

I think that'd be a really unfun effect of this: "Crap, we need more beef but the only thing available is a Rocketeer."

I mean, I'd do it, but that's because I'm a freak who enjoys the Heat Rocketeer.

• LoC_TR and DubiLoLo like this

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

I think that'd be a really unfun effect of this: "Crap, we need more beef but the only thing available is a Rocketeer."

I mean, I'd do it, but that's because I'm a freak who enjoys the Heat Rocketeer.

That's the interesting part about snake draft though, the team that has the rocketeer would've had first pick or at the very least 2nd 3rd picks.

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

What about players who only have mechs people are already using? I think it would be unfair for someone to be unable to play simply because they either have only mechs that are already taken or want to actually grind out a mech but can't.

Maybe for certain servers, yes, but not by default.

Broham78

Broham78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Block the tech unless both teams have one for starters. Two techs on one team should never be allowed unless it`s a mayhem server also.

wGoUz2B.gif

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Rofl. Now I'm just imagining Hawken with a Pick/Ban phase during the beginning like a MOBA ranked match.

• WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and LoC_TR like this

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

What about players who only have mechs people are already using? I think it would be unfair for someone to be unable to play simply because they either have only mechs that are already taken or want to actually grind out a mech but can't.

Maybe for certain servers, yes, but not by default.

Of course.. You'd have to have 10 mechs anyway to draft correctly. It would be a level 30 pilot thing.

Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hawken doesn't have enough mechs in each role to do this well. A great example of this would be the support role. Only one mech actually fits that role and if it is chosen only one side gets a support mech which depending on the game type could be huge.

• LoC_TR likes this

Maxunarul

Maxunarul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

. I jut really hate seeing 3 incinerators on the same team. 

I think the same, when a game gets a little bad for the opposing team and begin to appear the class C, is either 1 or even 2, but six class C on a map as Uptown is already crazy, and yet like 3 or 4 Grenadiers. Same with the map Bunker, Incinerators and Rocketeers begin to appear, and so will spoiling games that can be interesting.

But we will move forward with this issue, the system should not allow more than 2 identical mechs and the same class, so the games would be more interesting, not more than 2 Assaults, no more than 2 Incinerators, no more than 2 Predators etc etc etc, so such problems would be avoided.

Edited by Maxunarul, 18 April 2015 - 03:52 PM.

6_1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users