• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

One thing I'm starting to realize, is that even though I like the game the way it is, sometimes I wish the game had a slower pace, for multiple reasons:

1. You don't get to notice the details on the beautiful maps because you are moving around too fast.

2. The rate at which you die and respawn can make the game too hectic and makes you feel like you make no progress

3. There is very little opportunity to play "tactically"

So what I propose, is that we duplicate the existing game modes, put the word Classic as a prefix and change a couple things around, here are my thoughts:

1. Halve the movement speed so the mechs feel more "lumbering".

2. Disable Dodge and 180, but still allow boosting

3. Increase Health (maybe 1.25x or 1.5x)

4. Disable Repairing but still allow orbs (stops mechs from hiding behind corners to repair, but can go out in the open to get orbs). We could go full hardcore and disable orbs as well.

5. No Techs

This does 2 things for us. It first gives the option for a slower paced game, something that a percentage of the community is wanting, and second, it helps make the game feel more "mech like"*.

The nice thing about this, if the game type clearly tells you if its classic or not, its easily identifiable for those who either want to play it or avoid it.

My specfics might not be agreeable with everyone, but I think this game needs to have like a Normal/Hardcore setting like in other games to appeal to a wider audience. This classic mode might appeal to those who would otherwise like to play MWO or other games with slow lumbering mechs, while leaving Normal mode alone for those who like it better.

* Some people seem to think that "mechs" should be slow, lumbering machines that should take a lot of health. This kind of falls in line with that other games of similar genres have in place.

• ropefish likes this

ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

i could dig it, sounds kinda fun but C-mechs would be slow af

*SCREECHING* 

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Well, here is my two cents...

So what I propose, is that we duplicate the existing game modes, put the word Classic as a prefix and change a couple things around, here are my thoughts:

1. Halve the movement speed so the mechs feel more "lumbering".

(((Neutral on this alone, but...)))

2. Disable Dodge and 180, but still allow boosting

(((Oh nooo no no I don't think this will do. You already have people going Turret Mode sucks so I doubt this will go over any better)))

3. Increase Health (maybe 1.25x or 1.5x)

(((Given that there are no real evasive maneuvers beyond boosting I'm not sure if this really matters)))

4. Disable Repairing but still allow orbs (stops mechs from hiding behind corners to repair, but can go out in the open to get orbs). We could go full hardcore and disable orbs as well.

(((Given the slower speeds and lack of real evasive maneuvers, and now no healing and potentially no orbs... this idea just looks like a multiplayer shooting gallery.)))

5. No Techs

I mean... how is this really Hardcore? It's just slower and more limited.

And what about anything that isn't a C-Class mech? Why even use any of the 4 (remaining) A-Class mechs in this mode when they can't even effectively use any sort of mobility options?

Edited by Panzermanathod, 28 April 2015 - 08:39 PM.

HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

I'd be more interested in a "Barebones" mode where items and internals are disabled.

Broham78

Broham78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Just give me back the Hawken I had before the infamous steam patch.

wGoUz2B.gif

teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Well, here is my two cents...

I mean... how is this really Hardcore? It's just slower and more limited.

And what about anything that isn't a C-Class mech? Why even use any of the 4 (remaining) A-Class mechs in this mode when they can't even effectively use any sort of mobility options?

I'm calling it Classic, not Hardcore. It may or may not be harder, but it aimed to be a different play style.

2. Right now, turret mode gives you a disadvantage because other people can dodge. If you disable dodge, Turret mode will be more viable.

3. We may not need to adjust health, but it would help A and B's to last longer if they had more.

4. The reason I would like to disable repairing is because I would like to eliminate the "peek-a-boo, repair, repeat" gameplay that happens quite often. The potential to add more health to the mechs will compound this issue since it would be harder to kill mechs who are further away.

Of course, in practice this may be a bad idea, but it would be awesome if the private servers would let us create scenarios like this to test. I know some of this we should be able to do, but I figured the devs would have to give us more options to make it a reality.

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

The Peek-a-boo method of fighting is one of the ways of even using Burst weaponry effectively.

And Turret Mode would be quite powerful here.

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

I'm calling it Classic, not Hardcore. It may or may not be harder, but it aimed to be a different play style.

I wouldn't call it 'classic' either. Classic would be early open beta, what you are proposing is more ascension patch.

4. The reason I would like to disable repairing is because I would like to eliminate the "peek-a-boo, repair, repeat" gameplay that happens quite often. The potential to add more health to the mechs will compound this issue since it would be harder to kill mechs who are further away.

Strongly disagree.

The ability to self-repair is a risk as you are immobile and defenseless, giving your opponent a chance to close the gap and attack without repercussions.

If you wanted to stop the "peek-a-boo, repair, repeat", get rid of the item that allows for it, repair orbs.

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users