• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

This is a list that I've been slowly adding to over time for quite a while.

Fake difficulty/cheating AI (including situations requiring extreme luck and/or obscene amounts of patience)
-Catcher Chocobo minigame in Final Fantasy X
-Teleporting/Invincible Yellows in Ace Combat 4 *1
-Rubberbanding in various racing games (F-zero, Mario Kart)
-Drop rates in some rpgs (Monster Hunter)
-Enemy aimbots/instant reaction time in some fps games (Crysis 2) *3

When a game forces you to make a decision at the very beginning that will greatly affect the entire game afterward. (and is usually unchangeable)
-Ability line in Kingdom Hearts
-Player class/species in some RPGs (Elder Scrolls)

When you get an ability that the game deliberately disallows in situations where it would be most useful.
-Demi/Bio in Final Fantasy X

When bosses (particularly ones with high hp/defense) heal
-Gym leaders in Pokemon

When one part of a game has entirely different physics/mechanics from the rest of the game (often in mandatory segments)
-Pachinko level in Super Mario Sunshine
-Blitzkrieg fight in Megaman Legends 2

When the game takes control away from the player for no apparent reason.
-Short scenes in 3d Zeldas (rock breaking, door opening)

When your player character somehow can't do something in a cutscene that you can do in normal gameplay
-Call of Duty(and other AAA fps') -Gameplay, can soak up bullets -Cutscene, dies in one shot
-The Darkness 2 -Gameplay, able to use guns in light -Cutscene, light instantly paralyzes you

Item drops (particularly money) disappearing too quickly
-Rupees in Zelda
-Refractors in Megaman Legends *2
-Munny in Kingdom Hearts

Unskippable Cutscenes

Imperfect auto-targeting/lock-on systems (particularly in games that require the use of them)
-Lock-on in Megaman Legends 2
-Target selector in Ace Combat

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Leave a comment if you have any other examples of these or anything else to add.

Edited by HubbaBubba9849, 03 February 2016 - 12:03 AM.

• Houruck likes this

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

956831ojqbzqjnh4.gif

• CraftyDus and DeeRax like this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Just play Hawken.

• Guns_N_Rozer, Merl61 and CraftyDus like this

Sorroritas

Sorroritas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Fake difficulty/cheating AI

In Pokemon Lance's Dragonite in Generation 1 got the Barrier ability but Dragonite cannot legitimately have the move in any of the games.

In Halo: Reach dual wielding got removed ... for players. There's still BOBs spawning with dual wielding plasma rifles.

In Need for Speed Underground 2 and Most Wanted your opponents make a miracolous comeback in the last round no matter how much of a lead you had built up.

Every mage in Baldur's Gate II can teleport. Except for you.

In Star Wars Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy all NPC Force-using characters have no cooldowns on their Force powers making them impossible to be killed without a lightsaber. (Hilarious force push tennis video here)

Edited by Sorroritas, 27 January 2016 - 07:29 AM.

Treat them with honour, my Brothers.

Not because they will bring us victory this day,

but because their fate will one day be ours.

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Unskippable Cutscenes

Or worse, cutscenes that masquerade as gameplay sections, forcing the player to provide input to continue without giving the any choice at all whatsoever.

I recall a particular section of the abortion game Assassin's Creed 3 in which a  cutscene ends, a loading screen occurs, and the player gets to limp 10 feet forward to progress to the next loading screen and cutscene. I still have no idea how that game ends.

• ticklemyiguana and CraftyDus like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

americanbrit14

americanbrit14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

When one part of a game has entirely different physics/mechanics from the rest of the game (often in mandatory segments)

-Pachinko level in Super Mario Sunshine

OH GOOD GOD NO.

NEVER AGAIN WITH THAT LEVEL.

VfuS0qE.png?1

contracted by 

??

INDUSTRY

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

http://tvtropes.org/...amethrowersSuck

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

The Yellows in Ace Combat 4 aren't invincible.

I mean yeah, in the Shattered Skies missions, if you hit one, they all flee or something, but they are definitely not invincible.  Same thing in the Stonehenge Offensive mission.  Kill one, they all flee.  But in the Lifeline mission, they are certainly beatable. I've done it.  They fit within the story and work as a gameplay challenge, imo.

Edited by Silverfire, 27 January 2016 - 11:30 AM.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Yeah, I was specifically referring to the shattered skies mission. I just really dislike plot armor.

HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Added to original post

Under section:

Fake difficulty/cheating AI (including situations requiring extreme luck and/or obscene amounts of patience)

-Enemy aimbots/instant reaction time in some fps games

Edit: (Crysis 2) *3

Spoiler

• KOS_Baconman likes this

ArchMech

ArchMech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

animation canceling gameplay mechanics 
fits under:

nosgoth (defunct, was likely a contributing factor to its downfall, extremely repetitive animation canceling ingrained within the vampire team/players ground based movement system, giant fuzzy bunnyng pain in the ass through out the games lifetime)
genji from OW 
likely other references (like widowmaker scope in animation tho that was patched out)

been irking the fk outta me lately
encourages scripting and macroing to animation cancel and execute your combos for you and faster then intended, becoming impossible to tell legitimacy, again, nosgoth was a perfect example)
fuzzy bunny of a thing to balance
fuzzy bunny of a thing to utilize
fuzzy bunny of a thing to play against
wasteful animation production (when was the last time you saw the full animation of a mechanic you can cancel and still see at least the full benefit from if not more beneficial, when was the last time any1 wanted to pay for waste? excluding landfills)

Edited by ArchMech, 16 August 2016 - 01:40 PM.

don't mind me, i'm just on a crusade against humanity, by the end of my lifespan earth's population will be 8 billion+ trolls

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

animation canceling gameplay mechanics 

nosgoth (defunct, was likely a contributing factor to its downfall, extremely repetitive animation canceling ingrained within the vampire team/players ground based movement system, giant fuzzy bunnyng pain in the ass through out the games lifetime)

genji from OW 

likely other references (like widowmaker scope in animation tho that was patched out)

been irking the fk outta me lately

encourages scripting and macroing to animation cancel and execute your combos for you and faster then intended, becoming impossible to tell legitimacy, again, nosgoth was a perfect example)

fuzzy bunny of a thing to balance

fuzzy bunny of a thing to utilize

fuzzy bunny of a thing to play against

wasteful animation production (when was the last time you saw the full animation of a mechanic you can cancel and still see at least the full benefit from if not more beneficial, when was the last time any1 wanted to pay for waste? that doesnt work at a landfill....)

OW has had quite a few animation cancels at one point or another, though I believe most have been patched out. For example you used to be able to Roadhog hook into ult skipping the initial ult animation.

Another thing that bugs the fuzzy bunny out of me is mechanics that completely remove control from the player. For example: emp in hawken is fine, Mei in OW is a focking kunt.

• Hyginos likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
Press F to pay your respects.

A teammate jumps in front of you, and your tow. The teammate is unscathed, but you just took a full tow because of him/her.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

ArchMech

ArchMech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Mei in OW is a focking kunt.

their bias towards (frost) mage once again reared its ugly head

speak not of this atrocity

i was a fire mage in LK for pve, and i ended up using frost more often then i would've liked when i did pvp once cata xpac came round,

when i tried OW the last open beta weekend, mei was right on the dealbreaker edge of me buying OW , blizzards a bunch of punks ya know?

OW has had quite a few animation cancels at one point or another, though I believe most have been patched out.

nosgoth 2.0

don't mind me, i'm just on a crusade against humanity, by the end of my lifespan earth's population will be 8 billion+ trolls

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Not exactly a thing in a game but one thing that irks me is all the people saying no man's sky was gonna be so revolutionary or whatever. Yeah, never seen minecraft in space before, or random generation....

My friend was a diehard, BEST GAME EVER TO BE MADE mentality, and now nobody cares.....

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

ForHarambe

ForHarambe

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

i hate when games take control away from you i.e. cut scenes and do not expressly make it obvious, making you feel like an idiot wondering why the character isn't doing what you are asking. another is quick time events in cut scenes. how the fuzzy bunny are you supposed to know when they are supposed to happen. 

• KOS_Baconman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users