• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Ever since the initial release of the game, no changes have been made to the financial model. I think it's time it gets a serious overhaul.

A disclaimer before I start, Reloaded is not to blame for this mess of unfairness. Adhesive is.

#1: Allow us to sell things for HC. There are a lot of things that people may have bought, but no longer need, including mechs, internals and weapons. It would be really nice if we would be able to refund these for HC once we don't want them anymore.

#2: Please... give us more HC after each battle. The amount of credits gained after each battle is ridiculously low. Seriously, with the victory bonus I think you get about 250 at most, but without that the MAXIMUM you can get, regardless of any aspect of the battle averages around 150-300. That is very tedious and grinds people down to the bones, and it isn't even that common to get that much. The only way to get "substantial" HC is to play an entire 30 minute Siege match and win, which would get you 500 at the most. Half an hour for 500 HC (and having to win) seems pretty slave-driving to me, especially if Siege is the only way to get that much from one battle.

A prime example of #2 is the co-op bot destruction. One time, I got to wave 22, the match lasted over 45 minutes and you know how much credits I got? four hundred and fourty six. I feel like an absolute peasant when playing, because of how much things the rewards system is ignoring. I got HEAPS of XP, but nowhere near enough HC. I should have got at least 5,000. Apparently the most base HC you can get from a bot destruction match is 500 546, and to do that you need to complete all 25 waves. I did an entire co op BD round and found that the BASE HC was 546. Absolutely dreadful.

#3: Allow people to test drive ANY mech at ANY time. This rotation system seems pretty redundant to me, I'm sure many would find it annoying having to wait for up to two or three weeks to test a mech they're interested in. On the note of testing mechs, weapons should be allowed to have test options, because ATM the only way to know what a certain weapon feels like using on a certain mech is to buy that weapon. Allowing people to test weapons would give people a better idea of whether they should buy that weapon or not.

I haven't played this game since Adhesive and Meteor went out of business, and I have only recently returned. I really hope to see some changes - possibly including mine, to be done to the currency system.

Edited by ??�?�؃??, 30 May 2015 - 05:16 PM.

• crockrocket, WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, Teljaxx the Unintentional and 1 other like this

d9133aa6ec.jpg

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

While I like the first point, the other two are ... meeeh.

1. WHy bother buying new mechs if you can play every mech?

2. More HC after each battle? I wish I could have something to spend my money on ...

• Nightfirebolt, stinkinglamb44, Derpy Hooves and 1 other like this

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Blaz0re

Blaz0re

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

@Fakename:

Try to think of this subject as a new player, since  they are quite important and the first thing many new player look up in a f2p game is the financial model. If it seems unfair they might just leave immediately because they don't see themselves playing this game anymore if it's broken.

So the point of earning more HC shouldn't be neglected this easily.

I personally thought the grinding was okay. It was a really long time until I got all mechs ( about 230 hours I think total ), but for me it was fine because I really love this game and enjoyed playing it, earning points and it felt incerdibly rewarding everytime I got a new mech. But the average new player won't be patient enough to play the game that long and often. There usually are other games to play out there and they decide quickly if hawken will be woth it or if it won't.

I think there rather should be a bigger beginner bonus, maybe enough HC to buy 2 additional mechs at the beginning, or a coupon for 2 mechs. Most of the f2p games give you many resources at first, less later on in the game. I think this might be worth a try.

• Maxunarul likes this

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Buying, and then itemizing, and then internalizing, a new mech can actually be pretty tedious and draining for anyone playing on a casual schedule. I feel like the last time I was actually buying up new mechs I played around 2 hours a day maybe, probably less. Buying a new mech always broke the bank before I could even fully outfit it.

I've always been pretty vocally opposed to the hawken grind. If you ask me it's a disgusting aspect to put in an fps. People like to say it gives players incentive, or something to do/look forward to. But the only real excuse is monetization. The people who play this game the most have had access to everything they want for a long time. The point is they play the game for the actual game play and not some arbitrary progression, or bug collection. However, they're also the players that have probably put plenty of money into the game by buying mechs, items, and skins rather than grinding for everything. Even then they put money into the game because they enjoy it.

It's not really a huge deal, it's just really annoying.

• crockrocket, WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and System64 like this

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

While I like the first point, the other two are ... meeeh.

1. WHy bother buying new mechs if you can play every mech?

2. More HC after each battle? I wish I could have something to spend my money on ...

Ikr? What's the sense in giving us more HC when some of us are sitting on hundreds of thousands if not millions of HC.

tTIViUr.png

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

How about a 7-day HC boost for new players? Maybe add a 7-day XP boost as well. Would everyone be fine with that?

• FEF-FEFington likes this

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

I was pretty much thinking more or less the same, new player can purchase one HC and XP boost for free.

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

@FakeName: Allowing for tests of all mechs at once wouldn't really defeat the purpose of buying mechs, because when you test drive them, you don't rank them up, and you also can't change anything on them. I'm not entirely sure on this, but I think you don't get as much HC/XP while testing mechs either. This may take some effort for the devs to do, but maybe there could be test servers - servers where players meet and fight, but don't gain any XP or HC. Basically, test servers would be for testing new mechs/weapons, and practising battle tactics with those mechs/weapons. Also, it wouldn't defeat the purpose of spending money on the game, as there are PLENTY of wallet opportunities here. Sure, there's the offline practice mode - but you know, it's AI, so you can't really test your skills on them since they're practically mindless. If test servers were to be added, then the option of testing mechs in normal battles should be removed.

@Toxic Rainbows: Well, that minority of HC millionaires shouldn't exactly be concerned about my ideas, since I'm assuming - and its most likely - that all HC millionaires/elitists of this game have bought everything they can with HC. Have some empathy for players in general, as for most people this is just time wasting. To get enough HC to buy a single weapon, I needed to play more than TEN matches, just to get a single weapon for use on only one mech! And considering matches last 10 minutes or so, that means over an hour of doing the same thing over and OVER again. When you put this all together, you can't disagree that the grinding in this game is absurd.

Edited by System64, 16 May 2015 - 06:09 AM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
The bit about 150 HC is false. Unlesd it's DM or TDM. A good Siege match can net you 400HC+ not including win bonus and boosts.

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
The HC gains are pitiful when one considers how significant items and internals are too gameplay. At least the average price of mechs is, to some extent, reasonable, but honestly, overall, the pricing in Hawken is absurd relative to what onegets out of them for the majority of all content.

Like, what? This colour is more expensive than this other colour because... REASONS??? ~~~

This mech is 4x more than other mechs because... REASONS??? ~~~

It's absolutely absurd.
  • crockrocket, Aregon, Teljaxx the Unintentional and 2 others like this

Thank you for your time,

Teljaxx the Unintentional

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Instead of just increasing all HC gains across the board, since its really only newer players that need more HC and old players have more then they will ever need, adding some sort of new players bonus might work better. Something like getting a 5x HC bonus for the first ten matches of each type you play, or getting a large amount after playing five matches of a single type. Or maybe even getting a free mech of your choice after you first 20 games.

MWO has a new player bonus, where for the first 25 matches played you get bonus C-Bills, and it works quite well to get a new player into the game faster.

And each each should cost the same as any other mech. Back when every mech cost 6410 HC, it was not nearly as bad to save up for a new mech, even with the relatively low HC earnings. But now that some mechs cost four times that much, and a new weapon costs half that much, it is way too hard to earn enough HC to buy anything before you get completely burned out on the game.

I remember looking at the prices of the G2 Raider and Assault when they first came out, and immediately deciding that I did not care enough to grind HC for them. I cannot imagine it is any more enticing for a new player to look at the cost of every single mech and item, and then see the pitiful amount of HC they get after their first match.

• stinkinglamb44 and System64 like this

Me are always recall near what beauty I quench thy water at dost hast jest if clubly pink codpiece shall torment yon melancholy questioned bare peach to see whatsoever hitherto delicate purple sausage mans.

BlueOrb.gif

Kamile

Kamile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

I find the problem disappears if you buy the XP/HC boosters. It's rather inexpensive and even has a 1 Day option for around a dollar. We don't want to bankrupt Josh and Tiggs so early in. You can literally double the amount of HC you're getting for a few dollars. I think you're asking for too much personally. Especially so if you expect to never spend a dollar on a multiplayer game. I think you're missing the point as to why it feels sorta low and why boosters are so inexpensive.

I think a free 7 day HC/XP is too much and would be better at just 3 days. This is free to play but there is a pay cheaply for conveinence option to merely support the devs and keep the game afloat. The League of Legends free to play option must make people like the op cry. I know I screamed trying to grind LoL. Hawken is nothing compared to that level of grinding without paying for a booster. So your complaints about only doing the same thing over and over go nowhere. Maybe multiplayer games aren't for you and you should just invest in RPGs. Any other free to play game of this type is comparatively unoptimized, has minimal graphics, and doesn't offer the type of action Hawken does. Play MWO for an hour and try not to drop $80 on a single mech while keeping premium time up for $20 a month.

Just to tease you in a friendly manner; after a year you aren't pilot rank 30? Noob. ;3 I make 10k-15k HC a day with no boosters. HAHAHA.. I hate my life.. Even when I spend $5 I feel great. Not just because I am getting something in game but because I'm supporting a game I enjoy a lot. You were around when Adhesive ran out of money so you'll understand why a few dollars is nothing I'm sure.

Edited by Kamile, 14 May 2015 - 10:25 AM.

qRSAEZF.png

A8OpQld.png

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

@Kamile: F*ck RPG games, they are not my type. Josh and Tiggs would not go bankrupt if we got more HC, because like I said there are heaps of wallet opportunities in this game. If HC is doubled by default, people would still want boosters because even when boosted your gain is a bit too low. How long do you need to play to get that much?

The problem with the HC system is not how much you get, it's why it gives you that much. See, the amount of XP gained depends on your battle performance. The HC gain should work in the same (or similar) fashion. Currently, the amount of HC you get depends on only victory/loss and match time, when it should also depend on the same (and maybe more) factors of XP gained.

Also, like I said I quit the game after Meteor and Adhesive went out of business, and that should be September 2013, not March 2014, for some reason I got the account creation e-mail a bit late.. When I quit I was rank 27, I only recently got to 29.

Edited by System64, 14 May 2015 - 03:14 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Plus, bankruptcy isn't something to worry about considering that this is not Reloaded's only game.

Edited by System64, 14 May 2015 - 03:13 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Is LoL's money-grubbing the standard that you want games to be at or something?

How about we look at Dota 2 or Smite or Titanfall or Heroes of Newerth instead?

For 0$, 110 Heroes are immediately available in Dota 2. Only cosmetics are priced, each cosmetic item individually costing anywhere from 0.10$ to 0.30$, usually amounting to only about 2-3$ to fully outfit one Hero.

For 0$, 125 Heroes are immediately available in Heroes of Newerth. Getting an entirely new model, retexture, and effects, typically costs less than 5$ (usually around 3$).

For 0$, 5 Gods are immediately available in Smite, plus 5 in rotation every week, for a total of 10. Assuming Smite has 60 Gods, a proportion of 1/6 is available as free content immediately for 0$.

-> For 30$, ALL Gods are immediately available in Smite and all future Gods are free.

For 10-30$ (depending on sales), you can now get Titanfall which is about the same population as Hawken, is an exclusively multiplayer game, but provides 3 mechs, 3 map packs, an array of weapons and weapon enhancements, multiple perks, and 10+ the game modes compared to Hawken... with private server support built-in (by which I mean players can host games with settings to their preference).

---

Now let's look Hawken:

20$ for ONE WHOLE MECH, that CATERS TO ONE WHOLE PLAYSTYLE!!!! Make it look weird!!! It has a bunch of cool items and internals that you could have grinded for free!!! What a deal! (oh and btw there are about 17 other mechs u dont have for which you need to grind to get internals and items that affect gameplay significantly!!!)

Okay? Let's look at the numbers. For a triple-A game, one would typically pay 60-100$ for more content than Hawken provides. To fully unlock all content through packs like the Sharpshooter pack, one would need to pay a total of some 360$+.

So let's all face the facts here: Hawken provides a tiny community with no competitive scene, a fraction of the content provided in other games, is still in early access, still has balance issues (none too outstanding thankfully), for a price over 4x that of actual triple-A games and with a grind worse than other F2P games that aren't already notorious for having terrible grind (as if somehow LoL's model is the standard people should aspire to getting mauled by -- sorry, but some of us do not enjoy being completely ripped off, especially unnecessarily).

Edited by WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, 14 May 2015 - 06:21 PM.

• crockrocket, Teljaxx the Unintentional and System64 like this

Thank you for your time,

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

If you want a GOOD model, please take a look at Robocraft. That game easily has one of the best (or the best) f2p models of any game. The rewards you get are based entirely on how well you play, and you get a daily 2x bonus for each bot you own. Also, you can buy premium memberships (ranging between 1 day to 6 months), which doubles your earnings. Along with that, it is also beneficial for everybody else in a battle, because for each premium member in a battle, everybody gets 5% extra earnings, regardless of team.

The point here is that Robocraft never tries to wring every available penny out of your wallet. The only things worth spending money on are cosmetic items and extra garage slots. You can buy parts and premade robots for money, but parts should only be bought for money if you're desperate, and you can easily gain enough points to build those premades yourself once you become a veteran (or just ignore them altogether and make your own design). Of course, when you start playing at first you don't gain much, but as you progress and develop skill, you get more.

Hawken doesn't care about how well you play. All it cares about is how long you've been playing (how long it's been grinding you) and whether your team won or not. I'm not saying Reloaded doesn't care, I'm saying that the previous devs didn't care. Their financial model is still in this game and it needs to be modified or outright completely replaced.

Edited by System64, 14 May 2015 - 07:16 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Bump, added an example of how dysfuntional the rewards system is.

Edited by System64, 15 May 2015 - 08:00 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Lioot

Lioot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Spending money on a game isn't an alternative to everyone, especially to try and get more HC from the use of boosts. Sure they may be cheap, but I myself do not have a form of electronic payment.

For the matter at hand, there should be a better system for HC gains or a way for new players, even older players, to get more HC

• System64 likes this

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

-accidentally quoted topic-

Edited by System64, 16 May 2015 - 12:02 AM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Nightfirebolt

Nightfirebolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Some tips:

Play lots of siege and you will earn plenty of HC.

Winning at bot destruction yields 800 or more HC on the first round (I've gotten over 1000 before).

Completing all your dailies in every game modes yields 1500 HC per day on top of your other winnings.

Always volunteer for autobalancing, it's an automatic +200 HC.

I have never, ever had problems earning HC in this game. Nor have I ever felt the grind was too steep. I really don't understand why this topic keeps coming up.

Then again, I am a siege addict, so maybe the problem is that other game modes need to be brought to the same level of earnings.

Edited by Nightfirebolt, 16 May 2015 - 01:55 AM.

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Yes, that is one of the problems with the gamemode rewards @Nightfirebolt, but your solutions still don't really give enough if you consider the effort that needs. As in one of my self-replies, the HC system needs to reward you on more factors besides completion and match time. This includes kills, assists, saviours, shutdowns, dominations, revenges etc.

As I said, this dysfunctional system is not to blame Reloaded for. Adhesive is (was) to blame.

Edited by System64, 16 May 2015 - 03:03 AM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

They could give a full garage to test for practice mode.

The grind is killing siege mode, that's for sure. Was always the case. You dont want to play an objective based game with PUBs more concerned with their cred income or their KDR.

• WillyW likes this

WillyW

WillyW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

They could give a full garage to test for practice mode.

^This. Great idea

I personally never have had an issue with the grind at all. If you just try to enjoy playing the game, then you rarely focus on getting new things and you tend to appreciate that you're playing an amazing game for absolutely free. New things are a bonus for putting your time and effort into earning them. If you feel that you shouldn't have to earn it, then go pay for a HC boost or something instead. Or maybe you've just been spoiled your whole life and have never learned the satisfaction of earning something through hard work and dedication. Whatever the case, I don't see a problem at all.

2XhpJes.png

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Well, I did suggest dedicated practice servers, and those practice garages would fit perfectly.

As for working to get stuff @WillyW, I don't expect to do almost nothing and get a lot. In a game like Robocraft, if you play good, you get good rewards, if you play bad, you don't get much. Here it's a communist-like thing where you always get the same no matter how good you play.

Seriously, I experimented with the rewards system and I got the same amount basically idling as I did actually playing. That is F*CKING RIDICULOUS.

There are times in Robocraft where I have spent money in the game, but in Hawken, spending will only get you double of what you already get, and even when doubled it's still quite low. I don't invest in games where you don't get as much as you should even when paying.

Edited by System64, 16 May 2015 - 06:19 AM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Nightfirebolt

Nightfirebolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Yes, that is one of the problems with the gamemode rewards @Nightfirebolt, but your solutions still don't really give enough if you consider the effort that needs. As in one of my self-replies, the HC system needs to reward you on more factors besides completion and match time. This includes kills, assists, saviours, shutdowns, dominations, revenges etc.

As I said, this dysfunctional system is not to blame Reloaded for. Adhesive is (was) to blame.

Other threads have suggested bringing back the HC reward for service awards. That might do the trick.

I'm not 100% sure what the solution is, but keep in mind that once you reach high tier (and have unlocked every mech and weapon), you will be rolling in so much excess HC that you won't know what to do with it all. That's another problem in of itself, I guess, but something to keep in mind. You may actually miss the grind a little bit once it's over and done with.

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
Let me explain why certain decisions were made since you said that ADH was to blame. ADH wanted people to just play. To just enjoy the game. They didn't want to reward your kills with money because look at CoD, Halo, BF, and any other Arena shooter. (yes, BF and CoD are arcady Arena shooters.) Look how toxic those communities are. It's mind numbing. Now look at the HAWKEN community. Do we have share some of that Toxicity? Sure, but it's far fewer and far farther in between. This is why that decision was made. In order to appeal to the competitive crowd there are stats and things, but griefing, hacking, shit talking happen far less than in any other shooter and if that's the trade off I'll take it any day. Does the economy need a rework? Sure. But it certainly doesn't need a wholesale conversion that has been the tried and tested method for poisoning the mostly decent communities that these types of games share.

Yes, more rewards are needed. Yes, the grind needs a slight reduction. No, you shouldn't be rewarded extra, period, for what you should be doing, period, in the first place, period.
  • Nightfirebolt likes this

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

@BaronSaturday: That's all well and true, but you know, CoD is CoD and BF is BF. Just because those communities are toxic, doing it here might not exactly make this community toxic. Like I said, go look at Robocraft's community, and then play the game if you want. Hawken (and any other F2P) should reward you in the same way that RC does. Oh, and on that note, Halo, CoD and BF are all paid-for AAA titles. This is an indie F2P. (I may be mistaken because I'm not sure if reloaded is AAA or not). And one of the reasons those communities are toxic is because of the squeaker overload.

@Nightfirebolt: That IS one of the things that should be done, thanks for reminding me. But regarding high-tier and owning everything, how long does that take to pay/not pay? People who are in that stage of the game don't even have anything to worry about here, as I said to Toxic Rainbows and FakeName. For players in general, this isn't very good at all.

I'd never miss this grind if it ever did go, because it's horrible.

Edited by System64, 16 May 2015 - 08:28 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

@BaronSaturday: That's all well and true, but you know, CoD is CoD and BF is BF. Just because those communities are toxic, doing it here might not exactly make this community toxic. Like I said, go look at Robocraft's community, and then play the game if you want. Hawken (and any other F2P) should reward you in the same way that RC does. Oh, and on that note, Halo, CoD and BF are all paid-for AAA titles. This is an indie F2P. (I may be mistaken because I'm not sure if reloaded is AAA or not). And one of the reasons those communities are toxic is because of the squeaker overload.

Yes yes.  Because APB isn't an indy FPS or anything and that has one of the worst communities in gaming.  It doesn't matter if the game is indy or AAA or F2P or P2P.  What matters is how a community is developed and that is directly related to how the games functions.  It can not be argued that any game that rewards griefing, finishing first, most kills, most this, most that, with in game cash will generate mookery.  This has been proven time and time and time and time again.

As for robocraft, have you played with the top tier guys?  They aren't very friendly.  When you hit about tier 6, the level of friendly escapes like the fucker is on fire.  Sorry, but that's kind of why I left.  No one is willing to help, no one likes anyone, and all anyone wants is the kill so they can get the shiney and fuck everyone else on the team.

But that's all FPS.  The douche bags will rise up and blockade you at every turn if it means that the kill they just stole from you will net them a higher income than simply supporting your advance.

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Well, depending on when you played, the community has changed a lot. Now, there's TX-1, where every T10 team has one TX-1 bot. Since the release of megabots, teams have sort of learnt to co operate with eachother, because losing the mega would mean defeat for that team. Depending on when you left, there are also medics now, which are the ones that care the most about the team members and not the kills, as technicians do in this game.

and on the note of kills/assists, they actually give you the same amount. Assists give just as much RP as kills do. When I started playing nobody was ever playing for the sole purpose of getting the kill. In the early days of RC, it certainly was like that, but people have learnt that teams are teams and that they have to work together for victory, which is what happens here.

Oh, and you left at T6, I'm at T10 and no one is like that at T10.

Edited by System64, 16 May 2015 - 11:16 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

BUMP lol

d9133aa6ec.jpg

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

From now on, new map releases being available as DLC only might be something to consider...

*read unfinished arena map not included here...

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

From now on, new map releases being available as DLC only might be something to consider...

No, no nonononono, this is a horrible idea.

Maps should never be DLC and limited to only those who have payed for them, be it via MC or HC, especially in a F2P game.

• Hyginos and Teljaxx the Unintentional like this

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

No, no nonononono, this is a horrible idea.

Maps should never be DLC and limited to only those who have payed for them, be it via MC or HC, especially in a F2P game.

Hahah... I know this idea may be shocking to many.

But once the arena map (the unfinished map with various rooms for duels with teleporters and so forth...) will be available in the game, we all may agree on that there's a good amount of maps available in HAWKEN and under the F2P model. That is all the actual maps are playable for free.

I'm rambling methinks... the idea is that maps as DLC or as purchase via Meteor Credits won't screw up the F2P spirit of HAWKEN.

Would be a way of injecting cash for the devs. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I had to say it.

Maybe baby..

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

The "unfinished arena map"? You mean the Test Arena?

It's unfinished appearance is by design. It's called Test Arena for a reason, many futuristic games (e.g. Crysis, TC GRP N/A) have training rooms that consist of stuff like holograms and artifical barricades etc.

Also please do not de-rail this topic into DLC or anything besides in-game rewards.

Edited by System64, 26 May 2015 - 03:18 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Hahah... I know this idea may be shocking to many.

But once the arena map (the unfinished map with various rooms for duels with teleporters and so forth...) will be available in the game, we all may agree on that there's a good amount of maps available in HAWKEN and under the F2P model. That is all the actual maps are playable for free.

I'm rambling methinks... the idea is that maps as DLC or as purchase via Meteor Credits won't screw up the F2P spirit of HAWKEN.

Would be a way of injecting cash for the devs. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I had to say it.

No offense intended, but you are very wrong on this.

Making paid-only maps does nothing but divide the community even further between the haves and have-nots.  And in game effecting ways that regular cosmetics do not.

And you know as well as I do that their will be people who will claim that the devs are busy fixing the now pay-for maps and ignoring the 'free' ones, regardless if it's true or not.

No, just no.  The only thing that is 'shocking' ( :wink:) is that you seemingly missed these problems and the damage it could/would do to Hawken's rep.

Remember the amount of anger and discontent that happened when it was done with CoD?  IMO, Hawken can ill-afford bad press like this.

Edited by bacon_avenger, 26 May 2015 - 05:55 PM.

• reVelske likes this

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

The "unfinished arena map"? You mean the Test Arena?

It's unfinished appearance is by design. It's called Test Arena for a reason, many futuristic games (e.g. Crysis, TC GRP N/A) have training rooms that consist of stuff like holograms and artifical barricades etc.

Also please do not de-rail this topic into DLC or anything besides in-game rewards.

Actually devs called this Test Arena and left the appearance with the "unfinished textures" because they were never really done with it.  They had textures and an aesthetic in mind, and probably a neat name to go along with it, just was never fully released.  We have it because we demanded a 1v1 arena and the old devs gave it to us despite the unfinished nature of the map.

So kind of wrong. 

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Either way the Test Arena is still perfectly fine in its current state. Again, please do not de-rail this topic.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Adding DLC maps to the map rotation would only end up splitting the player base. You would either have to split up the servers, with some having DLC maps in rotation, and some without. Or you could put the DLC maps on every server, and when a DLC map comes up, simply kick all the players that do not own it.

Either way, it will split the community in a really, really bad way. Sure, DLC maps could make Reloaded more money. But it is much more likely that it would completely kill the game instead.

• reVelske likes this

Me are always recall near what beauty I quench thy water at dost hast jest if clubly pink codpiece shall torment yon melancholy questioned bare peach to see whatsoever hitherto delicate purple sausage mans.

BlueOrb.gif

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Adding DLC maps to the map rotation would only end up splitting the player base. You would either have to split up the servers, with some having DLC maps in rotation, and some without. Or you could put the DLC maps on every server, and when a DLC map comes up, simply kick all the players that do not own it.

Either way, it will split the community in a really, really bad way. Sure, DLC maps could make Reloaded more money. But it is much more likely that it would completely kill the game instead.

Yep, I've to admit that having not devoted servers per 1 map only then that would be the effect (that community split) right now...

But still it's not a terrible idea to be considered in the future, IMHO.

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

No offense intended, but you are very wrong on this.

Making paid-only maps does nothing but divide the community even further between the haves and have-nots.  And in game effecting ways that regular cosmetics do not.

And you know as well as I do that their will be people who will claim that the devs are busy fixing the now pay-for maps and ignoring the 'free' ones, regardless if it's true or not.

No, just no.  The only thing that is 'shocking' ( :wink:) is that you seemingly missed these problems and the damage it could/would do to Hawken's rep.

Remember the amount of anger and discontent that happened when it was done with CoD?  IMO, Hawken can ill-afford bad press like this.

Well, first of all we could assume that all actual maps in the game will be polished first. :blush: Isn't it? :wink:

Obviously a new way to ubicate players in between DLC or standard map rotations would be required prior to the first DLC release

Dunno guys, was just an idea anyway. Although I've seen this formula applied in other games and was not such a terrible idea nor had such a terrible impact after all (besides the example you posted above) ... :happy:

::: I think that the test arena map (once it's textured, etc and ready to go) will be a blast, at least, for tournaments, private servers (as for example for clans...) and etc. As I understand it right now what would be required will be a way of granting the integrity of duels as they go; that is a way to do not allow players around teleporting and occasionaly interfering other players while playing a duel.

* Shrugs * :teehee: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users