- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

camelchild

camelchild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi Hawken Team, great to hear from you on Facebook these last few weeks.

I tried getting back into Hawken when you made yourselves known on Facebook and thought I had a perfect formula that used the power my PC has to offer, and the experience my years of FPS gaming has given me: using an Xbox 360 Controller.

I know developers have to always actively work with external peripherals for the player to actually use them with the game, so I was pleasantly surprised to find my Xbox 360 Controller working with Hawken. But before I could go on a killing spree with the virtual heads of other internet players I discovered Hawken was struggling with the Y Axis of my Controller; X Axis worked fine and I could strafe with no problems, but no matter what I tried (even when assigning other controls to the Y Axis known to Hawken as Left Stick Up or Down) I could not get Hawken to respond to the Left Stick Y Axis.

I've got the latest version of the Microsoft drivers for the Xbox 360 Controller to communicate to a 64 Bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate - file version 1.20.146.0 / product version 1.2 - and a USB 3.0 port to prevent transfer loss should it ever happen. Can you guys figure this out for me and any other players encountering the same issues?

Note to other players: if you have found this fault too, comment and mention your OS and version of the Xbox 360 Controller drivers installed on your computer - you should be able to find the version data by finding where the driver package installed and then checking the Properties of the XBoxStat.exe file which runs when you connect your 360 Controller to your PC.

Many thanks in advance.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

This is the first I've heard of axis problems. Usually its that people straight up can't get controllers to work with the game. You may have to uninstall the drivers and use the controller through X-padder or that other peripheral software.

Really wishing for @mentions now, but I'm sure em10 will be by with more useful help.

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Personnally i wouldnt use controller cuz i dont like playing fps with controllers but after that its all question of prefference XD

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

Harrower

Harrower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I have played with a 360 controller since alpha. It worked for a long time then suddenly the movement stick (left) stopped working for me. I simply use a 3rd part program (xpadder) and map wasd to that stick. Seems to have something to do with new key binding names that showed up.

As far as play with a controller sniping is difficult but everything else works fine.

Edited by Harrower, 24 March 2015 - 07:18 PM.

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I can't tell if you had issues 'before' assigning the left joystick, but in my experience I found that the movement controls are fine the way they are, so they shouldn't be messed with. When I assigned the left joystick for movement, it no longer worked. After resetting the controls and leaving the function for movement alone, it worked fine.

Edit: Yeah, I vaguely remember having to re-assign buttons again, which is why I came across that problem. I took it to the forums and of course it fell on deaf ears.

Edited by XPloyt, 24 March 2015 - 07:32 PM.

GoldMan27

GoldMan27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Not that I mean to bump this, and this may be considered off-topic, but I too am having issues with using a controller for this game. Bought myself a Logitech F310 today (which seems to be noticed as an Xbox 360 controller on some games), and the thing has worked for several games, minus a few in my library.

My issue with the controller is that the movement controls won't work at all. I can shoot, I can move my camera, activate my ability, etc., but I just cannot move at all. I haven't tried Xpadder yet (because I literally got this thing a few hours ago), but I'm assuming the answer to this problem is basically to map wasd to the left joystick via Xpadder, based on what I'm seeing. 

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

FIrst: DO NOT use X-Padder (or any of the other free emulators).  They are, literally (and I do mean that as defined), spyware and adware.  They are also not good solutions - specifically for any games running on the UnReal engine (like Hawken).  There is a glitch between Unreal and emulators that causes all kinds of problems.  Before I wised up to this, I even had a guy from Adhesive support (back in the day) help me figure that out.

It sounds like some of the answers to why it's not working right for you "GoldMan27" may be in the posts above, I think that you may also be having a problem with that F310 and your rig "thinking" it is an Xbox controller.  It's not.

For me, I went on Amazon and bought the Mayflash PS3 to USB adapter, as well as one for Wii-U to USB.  It was dirt cheap and works fantastically, with NO software emulation to run.  It even has a switch to let you decide whether it wil be seen as a standard gaming controller or a real Xbox controller.

For the last 3 years, I've been playing this game holding my PS3 controller in my left hand and my mouse in my right.  It was a huge game changer - when using keyboard and mouse, I was struggling with intuitive movement and getting cramps in my left hand... I also had a pathetic 1650 MMR.  After a few days with my new setup, I moved up to a 2100 MMR.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

GoldMan27

GoldMan27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

FIrst: DO NOT use X-Padder (or any of the other free emulators).  They are, literally (and I do mean that as defined), spyware and adware.  They are also not good solutions - specifically for any games running on the UnReal engine (like Hawken).  There is a glitch between Unreal and emulators that causes all kinds of problems.  Before I wised up to this, I even had a guy from Adhesive support (back in the day) help me figure that out.

It sounds like some of the answers to why it's not working right for you "GoldMan27" may be in the posts above, I think that you may also be having a problem with that F310 and your rig "thinking" it is an Xbox controller.  It's not.

For me, I went on Amazon and bought the Mayflash PS3 to USB adapter, as well as one for Wii-U to USB.  It was dirt cheap and works fantastically, with NO software emulation to run.  It even has a switch to let you decide whether it wil be seen as a standard gaming controller or a real Xbox controller.

For the last 3 years, I've been playing this game holding my PS3 controller in my left hand and my mouse in my right.  It was a huge game changer - when using keyboard and mouse, I was struggling with intuitive movement and getting cramps in my left hand... I also had a pathetic 1650 MMR.  After a few days with my new setup, I moved up to a 2100 MMR.

Perhaps I should specify. Only NFS: Hot Pursuit (2010) thought my Logitech was an Xbox controller (which I have no complaints with). Every other game has thought of my controller as a regular gamepad. Though I did download Logitech's Gaming Software (which I use to play older games that use the Direct Input method over Xinput). 

Either way, the above posts seem to point to Xpadder more than anything. And I doubt an adapter would do much for my Logitech, since its already a USB plug anyways. My only guess is to perhaps reset the gamepad's control settings, and then re-map the gamepad to Hawken, and not bother re-mapping the movement keys (since I think they were already mapped). If it still doesn't work, then I guess I'll stick with using my keyboard/mouse setup. I just couldn't get used to playing a gamepad and using a mouse simultaneously. :P

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

^Oh, sure, sorry that I got a bit off point.  I did want to point out that you would be better off to avoid Xpadder and other emulators.

Also, even though you did buy that Logitech controller, I just wanted you to know about the other, just in case you happen to have a spare PS3, Wii-U or Xbox controller lying about.  It connects wirelessly too.

And I bet you'd be surprised how quickly you can become used to (and even swear by) the controller/mouse setup.  It only took about 10 minutes before it felt completely natural.  Within a couple of hours, I swore I'd never play without it again.

• EM1O likes this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

xpadder.exe LH, mouse RH, all center column keybindings (for 360 joypad) blanked. WASD on left thumbstick, ability on the down-press for it, R123 on the dpad, Start button for repair, bumper/spacebar, trigger LShift, #5 mousebutton linked to wheel button.

i inherited my father's gorilla mits, so this setup is a godsend.

wear&tear will destroy that left stick. i keep getting chatboxes full of Ws. about time to go to the hock shop and buy a couple more (they have a whole kitchen trashcan full of them).

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Nanobot132

Nanobot132

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Not that I mean to bump this, and this may be considered off-topic, but I too am having issues with using a controller for this game. Bought myself a Logitech F310 today (which seems to be noticed as an Xbox 360 controller on some games), and the thing has worked for several games, minus a few in my library.

My issue with the controller is that the movement controls won't work at all. I can shoot, I can move my camera, activate my ability, etc., but I just cannot move at all. I haven't tried Xpadder yet (because I literally got this thing a few hours ago), but I'm assuming the answer to this problem is basically to map wasd to the left joystick via Xpadder, based on what I'm seeing. 

I use that controller too! (logitech f310) Logitech made a program called: "Logitech Profiler" or something like that...

I just wonder, why do you use Xpadder, logitech profiler works fine and its easy like Xpadder and virus free in my opinion ;)

hope this helps

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

If devs read the forums, I'm still hoping for full controller support. I understand it's not the most popular opinion in the pc master race, but at this point pc games should have full controller support in game. In game means that when I'm in a match and my mech is destroyed that I don't have to click respawn or change my mech with the mouse. 

No crew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users