6 replies to this topic

kvazarsky

kvazarsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Hello,

Why some pilots prefer 10% deflectors over 20%? Same goes for the fuel converter percentage - anyone did 'hard math' for mech builds or is it just personal preference? Or maybe something else?

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Whatever fits the build. For me it's mostly 2 slot if you're building around it, 1 slot to fill space when you build around something else.

Try to have a coherent idea of what you want to accomplish with the setup, and don't be afraid to iterate a few times to find something that works.

• SatelliteJack likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

As Hyginos said it depends on what "goal" you want to achieve with the build.

Take for example the Infiltrator.

One idea could be to use the 2-slot FC, because you want your ability to have the longest possible duration during a fight or when fleeing. Respectively you would use the 1-slot Deflectors.

Another idea could be to use the 2-slot Deflectors, because you want to highest possible damage reduction, but you'll have to pay for that with less fuel conversion.

Or you just use both 2-slot variants and ditch the Air Compressor.

Though I guess you mean what's actually more effective and keeps you in alive during engagements for longer.

That would indeed be interesting.

I'd say that:

Deflectors+Basic Fuel Converter is more effective if you're confident that you can end engagements quickly.

You would have taken less damage that way.

Basic Deflectors+Fuel Converter on the other hand prevents you from running dry more effectively and is thus better suited for longer engagements with the downside of taking more damage in the process.

Edited by (KDR) Bergwein, 07 October 2015 - 06:09 AM.

• kvazarsky likes this

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

2 slot Deflectors -> 20% reduction in damage -> possible to live up to 25.0% longer.

1 slot Deflectors -> 10% reduction in damage -> possible to live up to 11.1% longer.

If you think that way, there is more to gain from the 2-slot deflectors.

As for the Fuel Converter, you need to think how much fuel is enough and how much damage you expect to take. Usually the 1-slot Converter is enough if you have problems with fuel management, or 2-slot Converter if your ability is tied to fuel or you're burning fuel like crazy.

You can think of the Converters as potential extra fuel, for say, the Scout, that would be 32 litres of potential extra fuel or 64 if you took the 2-slot one. For a Brawler with 800 armor, the 1-slot converter is potentially 80 litres of extra fuel, and 2-slot converter is 160 litres of extra fuel (definitely overkill considering how big Brawler's tank is and how you don't usually need to burn it through that fast). And that potential extra fuel gets even bigger if you have repair sources.

Edited by (KDR) Kopra, 07 October 2015 - 07:46 AM.

• Guns_N_Rozer, Bergwein and kvazarsky like this

Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Looking at it from a straight damage reduction standpoint isn't entirely valid. You're pretty dead if you're out of fuel regardless of how much damage reduction you have. Also you need fuel for any sort of movement that would trigger Deflectors in the first place, except plain old ground dodges.

• Kopra likes this

Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

2-slot deflector is pretty much must-have on B and C mechs (I also use it on most A mechs as well, it's a really good internal).

1. equip a 2-slot deflector on assault for example

2. dodge alot (and time your dodges, don't just mindlessly spam dodge button) when fighting

3. get hackused of damage hacks ("you do so much damage to me, I do so little damage to you")

2-slot fuel converter is definitely an overkill on all mechs except G2 raider and maybe berserker, 1-slot usually does the job well enough. Note that you should probably play so you don't need a fuel converter at all - engage, do some damage, back off, repair (and regain all fuel while repairing). And just walk whenever you're not fighting to keep your fuel topped and yourself hidden from enemy radar.

BTW a little offtopic: there's a "glitch" that allows you to kinda fly like a helicopter for a loooooooong time - Air 180 pauses fuel regaining AND burning whenever used :-D

Edited by Zaxik, 08 October 2015 - 08:35 AM.

• kvazarsky likes this

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

As said before, it's all a matter of what you want to do with a mech. On my pred I have 6 1-slot internals. Just because.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users