- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

hexfire

hexfire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

What specs do i need to get 100 FPS on Low setting? 

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Not a laptop.

Seriously if you want to game and don't want to spend £1700 on something that a desktop could do for less, do not get a gaming laptop.

Also asking for 100fps and low settings seems a bit strange, usually people ask for 60-80fps and high/medium/ultra settings. Anyway most laptop screens won't show much of a difference between 60fps and 100fps

EDIT: Also if you give me your budget I could probably get a set of system specs/parts for you that you could build your own PC off. Or you could buy a prebuilt PC if you don't mind spending more for less

Edited by Rainbow Sheep, 27 October 2015 - 06:37 AM.

Spoiler

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Not a laptop.

Seriously if you want to game and don't want to spend £1700 on something that a desktop could do for less, do not get a gaming laptop.

Also asking for 100fps and low settings seems a bit strange, usually people ask for 60-80fps and high/medium/ultra settings. Anyway most laptop screens won't show much of a difference between 60fps and 100fps

EDIT: Also if you give me your budget I could probably get a set of system specs/parts for you that you could build your own PC off. Or you could buy a prebuilt PC if you don't mind spending more for less

Can confirm, have an MSI GS60 with a GTX970m, still can't get more than 90FPS on most maps.

fuzzy bunny runs Metro Last Light on high perfectly. Shits the bed when Hawken runs.

EDIT: Didn't pay $1700 for mine, but that's about what it cost new.

Edited by Amidatelion, 27 October 2015 - 06:47 AM.

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Can confirm, have an MSI GS60 with a GTX970m, still can't get more than 90FPS on most maps.

fuzzy bunny runs Metro Last Light on high perfectly. Shits the bed when Hawken runs.

EDIT: Didn't pay $1700 for mine, but that's about what it cost new.

I have a laptop with a 2.5 GHZ processor and an nvidia 630M. Used to run hawken at 12-30fps until the server-client thingamajig changed and boosted fps

I can't wait until I build my own pc next summer :c

Spoiler

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

The only good defence for a laptop is if you know with yourself you move around a lot and use lots of time on the PC. That is the only time a laptop is recommended.

• Amidatelion likes this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

If you want a laptop for mobility between specific static locations and don't plan on gaming in public spaces (library, cafe, free wifi spot, whatever) you're probably better off putting together a mini-itx or other small form factor build.

• Amidatelion and eth0 like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

quite honestly, I have a 960M in my laptop and I push 90+ FPS on low settings (apart some mad lag, but I think that's internet related).  Hawken is...stingy and stubborn in a way that it never really performs exactly as the specs may say it should.  I know I have a worse computer than a lot of people here and yet I still pump out more FPS on low settings than they do.  

Edited by Silverfire, 27 October 2015 - 08:51 AM.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

quite honestly, I have a 960M in my laptop and I push 90+ FPS on low settings (apart some mad lag, but I think that's internet related).  Hawken is...stingy and stubborn in a way that it never really performs exactly as the specs may say it should.  I know I have a worse computer than a lot of people here and yet I still pump out more FPS on low settings than they do.  

You get good frames on a relatively week card because you have a strong processor. Do not underestimate the contribution of a good CPU to the framerate, especially in Hawken.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

i always have heard hawken really likes the nvidia cards, and hates AMD,

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

FEF-FEFington

FEF-FEFington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Got a 650Ti in my desktop PC running on the lowest settings, getting about 90 on the LE map. But me with my monitor, that's not enough.

76561198011099779.png

Formerly known as "HawkeyeJ"

Also Known As "The guy who played Hawken with a steering wheel"

YouTube | Steam

hexfire

hexfire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Not a laptop.

Dont worry i know how to make a PC and BOM

hexfire

hexfire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks guys Im going with sager gtx 970m ebay

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Thanks guys Im going with sager gtx 970m ebay

GTX 970M will probably run most games at mid-high on 1080p and anything you throw at it 1600x900.

It manages Crysis 3 @ 33.4 fps @ 1920 x 1080 - Very High preset + 16xAF + 2xSMAA. Which is very commendable for a mobile card since crysis is know for eating up processing power.

It also has 6GB of VRAM so it can handle some beefy graphics. Whats the screen res of the laptop you're getting?

Edited by Rainbow Sheep, 28 October 2015 - 12:21 AM.

Spoiler

hexfire

hexfire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

1080P I might go with MSI gx60 prestige because of thunderbolt 3 EGPU.

hexfire

hexfire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Does anyone know the FPS on 7970M AMD Card?

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

If you are trying to squeeze out frames and dont mind copying some configs around I'd suggest plastic Hawken.

• Guns_N_Rozer, Meraple and nepacaka like this

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Does anyone know the FPS on 7970M AMD Card?

This card is ~4x more powerful than my mobile card in my laptop.

I currently get 45-60 fps on low settings, so I am guessing you could get similar fps at high/ultra settins.

• hexfire likes this

Spoiler

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

A laptop with a 7970M GPU must be pretty old by now, at least 3-4 years, just know what you'd be investing in, regardless of how good the card may be.  

lNM7VnC.png

hexfire

hexfire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Dont worry its MXM 3.0 type B with a Prema BIOS flash it can upgrade to Maxwell GPUS.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Dont worry its MXM 3.0 type B with a Prema BIOS flash it can upgrade to Maxwell GPUS.

Just be warned that MXM laptops are often quite costly to upgrade, which may or may not be worth it.  Just because it has the upgrade path doesn't mean it's the best computer for its price point.  Even if has the option, do you ever forsee yourself using the capability or putting more money into it? If not, then why bother buying it?  Would you ever actually spend the money and time to figure out a Thunderbolt external GPU? Are you willing to shell out extra cash for newer MXM GPUs, especially when they're usually more expensive than their desktop counterparts? I just checked eBay and a GTX 970M MXM card is like $500 USD.  The desktop GTX 970 is less expensive by a few hundred dollars and is like 30% more powerful. I saw a GTX 970 out there for $260 USD. GTX 980M and GTX 980 MXM cards are the only other Maxwell based NVidia MXM cards AFAIK, and those get even more expensive.

By the length of which this thread has been going on, you're being too stingy in picking, if you're still looking.  A laptop without an upgrade path that has like a 950M, 960M level with a Core i7 will handle Hawken at 90+ FPS without a sweat.  If you're looking older, I wouldn't be surprised if the 860M could push Hawken at 100+ FPS at low settings paired with a good processor.  60+ FPS at high settings probably, provided you don't thermal throttle.

Edited by Silverfire, 30 November 2015 - 02:29 PM.

lNM7VnC.png

hexfire

hexfire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

could you post a video of your acer v15 nitro with FPS counter and different setting please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users